Equipment changes planned for the off-season

Wanted to start a discussion that was kind off the opposite of the “bag is set” thread.

So please share what changes you plan to evaluate, make or explore, which clubs are not set or secure for next year, and what new stuff has caught your eye with a view to adding to the bag.

For me:

- the new Ping G425 3W will definitely get a really hard look. Current club (XR16) is doing ok, but is now 4+ years old and getting very beat up

- will likely evaluate the G425 driver as well, because it looks awesome and my current driver is ok but nothing spectacular 

- everything else seems to be set for now (F9 5W, Miura irons and TW MG2 wedges), though in fairness, I’ve already added the P770 3 iron as a replacement for my DI / hybrid spot and loving it

- have a bunch of putters and keep rotating through them for fun (all are the NP2 style), but my main squeeze is a Circle T NP2 mid-slant that will never, ever leave the main bag.

What about you guys?

• Like 1
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wanted to start a discussion that was kind off the opposite of the “bag is set” thread.   So please share what changes you plan to evaluate, make or explore, which clubs are not set or secur

My bag is pretty set. I will demo the new Titleist driver but doubt I'll switch. It will have to be a huge improvement.    Driver. '16 M2 3w.  '16 M2 19°hy. 818 Titleist Irons

I've given some thought to 50/56/62, the difference being that 50* is my PW in a lot of my sets.   Should also mention I take very few full swings with anything more than 52* loft.

Done chasing woods, hit my GBB as well as anything, beat Mavrik, not changing, same with fairways and hybrid, F9. I still am not consistent with 5i, so the F9 5H will be here Tuesday .

6-P 921F on order

MD5 and Portland are staying for sure.

i do not plan to buy a single club in 2021....

lol

GBB Ventus Black 6
F9 Tour 3w-Smoke 70
F9 Tour 5w-Smoke 70
F9 21* hybrid - ATMOS black 

F9 24* hybrid Hzrdus smoke 
Mavrik Pro 6-G Elevate 105
MD5 52-56
Toulon Portland Garage 
TM TP5X 
40 minutes ago, Warrick said:

Done chasing woods, hit my GBB as well as anything, beat Mavrik, not changing, same with fairways and hybrid, F9. I still am not consistent with 5i, so the F9 5H will be here Tuesday .

6-P 921F on order

MD5 and Portland are staying for sure.

i do not plan to buy a single club in 2021....

lol

thats what they all say, what is Portland (except the state capital of Oregon of course)

Ping G  Ping G 2H Ping G410 4H  X-Forged UT  Apex Pro '19  PM Grind 2.0  Newport 3

Bad back has kept me on the sidelines this year, but I've been shifting clubs towards more hybrids. Still able to hit a bucket now and then, so club experiments have continued.

Srixon Z785 driver and Cobra King F7 3 wood are 2019 holdovers and won't change.

I made a couple changes this week and I'll test them today.

Rest of the bag:

5 wood Cleveland Launcher replacing King F9 19. Decided I am better off with a wood in this slot.

Steelhead XR 4,5 hybrids (22, 25) replacing Ping G400 22 and 4 iron Titleist 716cb. Pings always tease me with great looks and so so performance. It's me, happens so often I really cannot explain it.

Rest of bag:

716cb: 6-7

716mb: 8-P

RTX 3 48, 60 both V-MG

Mizuno SC 57/15 

Just added a TA Infusion Roslin, rolling it on the carpet seems like I might have found a winner.

I decreased the loft by 1-2 deg on the irons  to get better spacing. We'll see how it goes. Experience tells me it will either go really well as the plan going forward or I'll be at the local shop swapping clubs later today.

*Update: Didn't like the RTX 3 48 for full swings, back to SC18 50 for the gap. Otherwise plan seems solid. Hybrids at 4,5 will work nicely. Still a lot of time tween now and 2021 tho, lol. 

Edited by tannyhoban

Getting Titleist driver when they come out (late fall I hope).

Will continue battle between my Mizuno blade 4 iron (MB), my hollow 4 iron (HMB) and the new hybrids.

Will continue to experiment with my HMB driving iron. It's fun to hit but I don't really have a spot for it.

Ping G425 Max Ventus Blue

Ping G425 LST 3w Ventus Blue

Ping G425 Max 5w/9w Ventus Blue

Mizuno MP20 Hmb 4 Ventus Blue Hb

Mizuno MP20 MB 5-Pw Modus Tour 120

Mizuno T20 50/54/58 DG Tour Issue S400

Lab B2 | Titleist Pro V1 #68 | Golf Pride CP2

Wedges and driver shaft. Which wedges not sure maybe leaning towards the new Cleveland options. 

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more. 

My whole bag is set, with the exception of the putter.  While I like the TA that I've rolled since mid-2018, I can't shake the notion that a SAM putter fitting would be worthwhile - I mean, every other club in my bag is custom fit to me, why not the putter too?

TaylorMade SIM 9.0* Project X HZRDUS Black 6.5
TaylorMade M4 15* Aldila X-Torsion Copper 70x
TaylorMade M4 Rescue 19* Fujikura Atmos 83s

Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4 22* Aldila NV Hybrid 105s
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW Project X LZ 5.5

Titleist Vokey SM7 52-12F | 56-14F | 60-12D Dynamic Gold Wedge
Tommy Armour Impact #3 35" 
TaylorMade TP5x

Vessel Player III Stand

A three wood replacement. Whether a 3 wood or a hybrid is yet TBD. And as quickly as 2 hours I’ve ordered a B21 3 wood. 

Edited by NoTalentLefty

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

Oh I have a few things:

One hybrid or something to replace my 5 and 6 iron. It’s rarely a distance I find myself at and I’m more comfortable choking down and taking some off my hybrid to hit what should be my 5 iron distance. Nothing really wrong with my 6, but it’s a rarely used club and I want to see if I can cover those shots with just one hybrid. 

New irons or re-shaft what I have. I have kbs tour 90 regulars. They are too light and way too soft. But a reshaft is about what I can potentially fine a used set of irons for instead. If my hybrid experiment comes first and works, I only need 7-gw would might make a reshaft more economical. 

Wedges - I have stopped taking my 58 with me most times I walk and try to never use it unless the situation really calls for it. I like my 54 a lot and I’m comfortable manipulating the face on most shots when necessary so I may just bend it to 55 to create a bit more of a gap or I might try a 56 again. 

Callaway Rogue 9* @ 10* Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.0

Callaway Mavrik 4 Wood 16.5* Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70S

Callaway Rogue 4H 21* Project X EvenFlow Black 85 6.0

Callaway Mavrik Max 5-7i KBS Max 90 S

Callaway Mavrik Pro 8-AW True Temper Elevate 105 S

Callaway JAWS MD5 52/12W Dynamic Gold 115

Callaway JAWS MD5 58/8W Dynamic Gold 115

Odyssey Stroke Lab Black #7

Bridgestone Tour B X 

Going to try to sneak over to Illinois from Iowa and get fitted at Bettinardi for a new putter.  Hoping to find the “one” to stop the revolving door that it is my putter spot in the bag.  Otherwise I am pretty content.  Might look at getting a new shaft for my 3 or 5 wood.  They are starting to balloon on me since my swing change.  

It’s been 3-4 years with my current gamers and time to switch things up!

Driver- 2021 Taylormade offering most likely Ventus Blue 7X 

3WD- Sim Max (2021 version) Ventus Blue 8X

HYB- Sim Max Rescue (2021 version) Ventus  Blue HB 100TX

Irons- P770 3-5 $-taper 130X / P7MC 6 iron / P7MB 7-PW $-taper 130x 

Wedges - SM8/9 Wedges TI S400 Black onyx

putter only thing that won’t change Taylormade Juno 

**WITB as of 2/23/2021**
Waiting on:

Taylormade SIM 2 10.5* - Ventus Black 6X

Taylormade SIM 2 MAX 15* Ventus Blue 7X

Taylormade SIM 2 MAX Hybrid 19* Ventus Blue HB 9X

Miura TC-201 4-PW KBS $-Taper 130X Black 

SM8 Raw DG TI S400 Black Onyx 46/50/54/58
Golf Pride Tour Velvet Midsize
TaylorMade TP Soto 33.5” with Super Stroke Pistol GTR 2.0 - Side Piece TaylorMade Spider X 33.5"

I have ordered a set of pings that I have hopes of getting sooner than later.   
so it’s out with the old and in with the g710.  
Wondering what a SAM putter fitting is.  
acronym challenged I am.   

Sim max 10.5° ventus red r
Ping 5 wood G410 Alta s 
Ping G710 DG 105 R300 4-U 

mizuno T7 54° Bent to 52°
Ping glide stealth 54° es grind bent to 56°
Ping glide 2 58°. ES bent to 60°
Ping anser

I've been searching all year for a fairway wood to replace my old R9 4w. I've struggled a lot with this club off the tee and fairway, although it used to be my favourite club. Swing problems are the main cause, but I am looking now more for a tee club in this slot than a fairway option. I tried and liked the combination of an Epic with a Speeder 661 X, but someone else bought it before I made my mind up. I like the way the PING fairways set up as well, so I need to look at those. I am thinking of  shifting up to a 3w, on the premise that it will only be a tee-shot club, but that will probably affect other clubs in the top of my bag.

I'm also considering putting a centre-shafted putter in the bag. I've found heel-shafted putters suit me more than most, but recently, centre-shafted ones are showing promise. I don't want a big mallet-type putter, though, so my options are somewhat limited.

Need to settle the spot between 4 iron and 3 wood once and for all. Been rotating around 5 wood, 2/3 iron, and hybrid. 

SIM 9.0 w/ Ventus Black 6X 46”
SIM TI 3 (actual 15.4; set one click lower) w/Tensei Pro White 80 TX tipped 1.5”

SIM UDI 2 w/Nippon GOST 112 TX
or SIM 5 (one click lower) w/Fuji Speeder 9.2 X
Callaway Apex Raw MB 4-PW w/ TI X100
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

Would love to pick up a Ping G410 3 hybrid when they reduce them in price once the 425 line comes out for when I play longer courses. Maybe a TM Spider Mini or other mallet putter.

In the bag, at the moment:
Callaway Mavrik 10.5* Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60g Stiff
Ping G410 5 wood 17.5* UST Elements Chrome 7F4
Ping G410 22* hybrid Ping Tour 85 Stiff set at 21*
Callaway Apex UT 24* KBS Tour C-Taper Stiff
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 5-9 Project X 5.5 shafts
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled '09 Oil Can 48*, 52*, 56*, 62* Project X 5.5 shafts
Odyssey White Hot Pro #3 or Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport
Nike Sportlite II carry bag, olive/camo

I just picked up a set of Fg-62 blades P-7 comboed into FG tour v2 6-3. Project X 6.5s which are, at the moment a little too much shaft for me. Will be comparing and competing them against my Hogan Apex Blades, although to be honest I might just play both sets as the mood strikes. 

Other spots in the bag are set for the moment, depending on any upcoming Wilson releases.

New driver. I had an M1 explode on me, then my Hzrdus Black broke in a borrowed M1 driver next round I played. Its the end of the season so Im using a spare driver I had stuff laying around for, might get a SIM at the start of next season Ive played one round with a demo one and I loved it, maybe see what Callaway does.

New 3 wood. I have a Callaway Epic Sub Zero, and I hate the thing. It goes left on left for me I dont know why ive kept it in the bag for so long. But leaning towards the SIM Titanium 3 wood.

New 2 hybrid. My i20 is getting old, the shaft is de-laminating and im waiting for it to finally give up. The DHY looks interesting, an adjustable hybrid might go in there depends what titleist 818s were insane, so a new release might intrigue me, or I might mess with a 5 wood.

Waiting to get an in-hand look at the 2021 Srixon line-up.

I see new driver and irons in my future!

Callaway Epic Speed; Taylor Made Original One 11
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made 4, 5 GAP-HI Hybrids KBS 
Ping i210 6-PW Ping graphite
Cobra Black MIM 50, 54, 58 Nippon Tour 105
Scotty Cameron Futura X 8 Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Callaway Chrome, Maxfli Tour

My bag is pretty set. I will demo the new Titleist driver but doubt I'll switch. It will have to be a huge improvement. 

Driver. '16 M2

3w.  '16 M2

19°hy. 818 Titleist

Irons. 919 tours

SM 6 wedges 

I do need a 4 ironaa I only have 13 clubs. Haven't decided on Titleist U500. Or TM P790. Otherwise I'm set. 

• Like 1

Possible driver please, three wood and hybrids. Hoping for demo days. G410/425 both in the demo list. 

TaylorMade Kingdom M4 9.5* Red 5S stiff Atmos 44.5” vs Callaway Max 10.5* Rogue Max
TaylorMade M4 3HL 16.5* fairway stiff Atmos vs Callaway Max 15*
TaylorMade M4 3 hybrid stiff Atmos
TaylorMade M4 4 hybrid stiff Atmos
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s vs PXG gen1 0211 4-P TGI80
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Seemore si5, si3 and Directed Force 2.0
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Shot Scope V3

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

NONE, possibly get my second and third set of identicals shafted, cut, glued, and gripped up. Definitely get the second bag all ready, it's all just sitting in the golf room, ready to be addressed. 

Edited by A.Princey

TM 2016 M2 12* - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Cally Rogue X 18.5* 4i, Diamana 70 S, 39.75"

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5"

Vokey SM8 54.14F(2*weak), 60.10S(4*weak)

"Rusty" Byron DH89 Slant Pipe // Byron GSS DH89 Long Slant // GOAT NP2 Tiger Putter

I'm thinking about overhauling my entire bag next year, with the exception of putter and 3w. 

- Driver: 2016 M1 is definitely getting replaced.  I'm going to give everything except Titleist a look...Cobra, TM, Callaway, Mizuno...

- Irons:  JPX 850 Forged:  It'll likely come down to 921 Forged (HMP 4i?), but I'll be giving the P770 a look also

- Wedges:  Already replaced with 52 and 56 in the RTX 4.  I had forgotten the joy of fresh grooves.  Chipped two in during my first round out with them.

Edited by forrester_fire

In chronological order:

Titleist TS2 driver/Tensei Blue ---> out

Titleist TS2 driver/Ventus Velocore Blue ---> in (already done)

Titleist TS2 5-wood/Tensei Blue ---> out

Titleist TS2 4-wood/Ventus Velocore Blue ---> in (waiting for Friday delivery)

Titleist 818.H1 21°/Tensei Blue ----> out

Titleist TS2 7-wood/Ventus Velocore Blue ---> in (waiting for Friday delivery)

Titleist 718.AP2 ---> out

TaylorMade 2020 P770 ---> in (waiting for ??? delivery)

Vokey SM7 50°, 54°, 58° ---> out (spring '21)

Vokey SM8 50°, 54°, 58° ---> in (spring '21)

Titleist TS2 driver/Ventus Velocore Blue <---> Titleist TSi2/Ventus VB , Callaway Mavrik/Ventus VB , TaylorMade SIM/Ventus VB (testing spring '21)

Titleist TSi2 11° - Ventus Velo Red 5R

Titleist TS2 18° - Ventus Velo Red 6R

Titleist 818H1 21° - AD HY 75R

Titleist 818H1 25° - AD HY 75R

TaylorMade 2020.P770 5-PW - NS Pro 850GH S

Vokey SM7 50.08 F, 54.10 S, 58.08 F - NS Pro 950GH R

Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5

Titleist ProV1