2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Equipment changes planned for the off-season

NYCGolfNut

Tired of chasing drivers, so it's largely working on iron set reshafts that I have in the works, any that dont get done this year, that is.  Have a set of MS-11s, Vibration Matched Golden Rams, and a set of unshafted 986 Tours all lying around waiting for shaft pulling/reshafting.  Could add to that my set of TG-898s, not sure I'm an Xstiff irons player anymore.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

On 9/4/2020 at 9:56 AM, NYCGolfNut said:

Wanted to start a discussion that was kind off the opposite of the “bag is set” thread.

So please share what changes you plan to evaluate, make or explore, which clubs are not set or secure for next year, and what new stuff has caught your eye with a view to adding to the bag.

For me:

- the new Ping G425 3W will definitely get a really hard look. Current club (XR16) is doing ok, but is now 4+ years old and getting very beat up

- will likely evaluate the G425 driver as well, because it looks awesome and my current driver is ok but nothing spectacular 

- everything else seems to be set for now (F9 5W, Miura irons and TW MG2 wedges), though in fairness, I’ve already added the P770 3 iron as a replacement for my DI / hybrid spot and loving it

- have a bunch of putters and keep rotating through them for fun (all are the NP2 style), but my main squeeze is a Circle T NP2 mid-slant that will never, ever leave the main bag.

What about you guys?

What is this offseason, or waiting until 2021 you guys are speaking about?

A wrist issue and surgery late last year and into this year robbed me of practice time, playing time and I am working on getting my bag set right now.  Still toying with wedge setups and iron set.  

What is safe -

1. Three putters.  I will not buy anymore or change outside of them.  
  2. Driver - Ping G410 LST, honestly not even a little desire to change this one.
  3. 3 wood - I have found my gem at last.  Taylormade M5.  Not going anywhere
  4. 62* Cleveland RTX4 - yeah, not changing, this club has saved me more shots this year with our elevated greens, and with that ticklish 40-70 yard shot.

How I gap between my 3 wood and irons is not safe.

My irons are not safe, but will be before December gets here(anniversary of wrist surgery)

wedges between my set PW and my 62* wedge are not safe, or at the very least may be bent.

I was 62, 58, 54, 50 on my wedges.  With the limited time I was allowed to practice, this helped keep my handicap from a full blow up after my surgery.  Once I have full release to practice as much as I want, I will play around in this area, and possibly go from 5 wedges to 4 and remove some spacing between my 3 wood to my first iron.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

36 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

What is this offseason, or waiting until 2021 you guys are speaking about?

A wrist issue and surgery late last year and into this year robbed me of practice time, playing time and I am working on getting my bag set right now.  Still toying with wedge setups and iron set.  

What is safe -

1. Three putters.  I will not buy anymore or change outside of them.  
  2. Driver - Ping G410 LST, honestly not even a little desire to change this one.
  3. 3 wood - I have found my gem at last.  Taylormade M5.  Not going anywhere
  4. 62* Cleveland RTX4 - yeah, not changing, this club has saved me more shots this year with our elevated greens, and with that ticklish 40-70 yard shot.

How I gap between my 3 wood and irons is not safe.

My irons are not safe, but will be before December gets here(anniversary of wrist surgery)

wedges between my set PW and my 62* wedge are not safe, or at the very least may be bent.

I was 62, 58, 54, 50 on my wedges.  With the limited time I was allowed to practice, this helped keep my handicap from a full blow up after my surgery.  Once I have full release to practice as much as I want, I will play around in this area, and possibly go from 5 wedges to 4 and remove some spacing between my 3 wood to my first iron.

I've given some thought to 50/56/62, the difference being that 50* is my PW in a lot of my sets.

Should also mention I take very few full swings with anything more than 52* loft.

• Like 1

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

4 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I've given some thought to 50/56/62, the difference being that 50* is my PW in a lot of my sets.

Should also mention I take very few full swings with anything more than 52* loft.

I am thinking 50, 56, 62 as well.  However I have to get release from the Doctor before I can start practicing to get where I need.  

I take very few full swings with my wedges as well.  I have a full swing number, a 3/4 cut, and a trap draw.  Both or the last two are not full swings.  I know that I can play around with ball position and some other things once I can practice more, so the 6* gaps won't scare me then.   I have a 56* wedge "waiting in the wings" to move into place of the 54 and 58 if that is the route I plan on taking and adding a club at the top end.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

3 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

I am thinking 50, 56, 62 as well.  However I have to get release from the Doctor before I can start practicing to get where I need.  

I take very few full swings with my wedges as well.  I have a full swing number, a 3/4 cut, and a trap draw.  Both or the last two are not full swings.  I know that I can play around with ball position and some other things once I can practice more, so the 6* gaps won't scare me then.   I have a 56* wedge "waiting in the wings" to move into place of the 54 and 58 if that is the route I plan on taking and adding a club at the top end.

Years ago, I would have never considered a 62* wedge, but as even public course greens get a bit quicker, it's nice to have around.  ?

My experience with the courses in my area (NYC and Long Island) has been that they tend to get significantly less traffic from late Sep / early October. The greens tend to get a little slower (and with fewer pitch marks), the rough tends to get longer, and one needs to make some small adjustments towards the shorter end of the bag accordingly. I find that I get a lot more use from my 60 deg in the fall. 

But this year has been so different in so many ways, that this may not hold true either.

13 hours ago, motts said:

Portland is a Toulon/Odyssey Putter

Salem is the capital of Oregon

thanks for clearing that up, im not American so excuse the lack of knowledge on the state capital bit there, just saw all the riots in Portland and guessed it was the capital, cheers.

8 hours ago, grm24 said:

New golf gear for 2021? Nothing at all.

New right knee? A possibility. ?

Keep getting reminded how we're not 35 anymore.  

9 hours ago, DMartini said:

thanks for clearing that up, im not American so excuse the lack of knowledge on the state capital bit there, just saw all the riots in Portland and guessed it was the capital, cheers.

Yeah it makes it even more confusing that Portland used to be our capital, lol. (also never visit portland, its turned into a dump)

• Like 1

Going to be picking up a TSi2

Maybe a 5 wood replacement

Looking at a Vessel also

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

With a few upcoming life events, I will probably not buy anything next year.

Current:

Mavrik Max driver

TM OO mini driver

EX10 Beta 5 wood

EX9 7 wood

ZU85 5 iron

565 irons (6-pw)

RTX4 gap wedge

RTX3 CB 54

SM7 58

Protype Milled #5

I will be experimenting with shafts in a few benched fairways that I have laying around.

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

Waiting for the G425's to fund a lightly used G410+ Driver, G410 5 wood and G410 5 hybrid ... Have to sell my back-up G700s and G400 Max first though ... gotta love it!

The Navy Vessel IV Pro bag:

Ping G425 Max Driver @ 12.0º Alta CB Slate Sr

Ping G425 Max 5w / 7w @ 21.5º Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 4h @ 23.0º / 5h @ 27.0º Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 6-UW Alta CB Slate R

Ping Glide 3.0 54° WS / 58° Eye2 Z-115

Seemore PCB 33"

Back-up Hoofer bag: Ping Eye2+ 3-SW Graphite

I'm hopeful to buy a new putter.  My current gamer is a Ping Zing BeCu that was a thrift shop find, and while it works just fine (as good as my other old putter), it's not new and shiny.

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

in chronological order:

grips: current set-up is jumbo tour velvet with 12 layers on the bottom and 10 on top. i want to try JMX, particularly the ultalites. i'm also interested in trying the non-tapered JMX's because i like to grip down on a lot of shots. 

putter grip: i want to try something fatter than the stock SC grip.

iron/wedge shafts: currently use 130g c-tapers, want to try something lighter that's as stiff or very similar. front-runners to try are steelfiber i125's and i110's. i think grips may influence this choice.

driver shaft: i'm not sure about my 70g diamana d+ x (+1"). i want to try some stouter alternatives. 

iron lofts/lies: first make sure lofts/lies are correct, then fiddle around with different configurations to asses the impact on ball flight. 

wedges: i've never done a wedge fitting and the last time i purchased wedges i totally ignored grind. i want more wedge options and to know how to choose the right wedges.

2-iron: the head flew off of my mizuno MMC hi-fli and now i want to get one of those gordeous wilson staff 2-iron blades.

5-wood and 2-hybrid: i've never had either of these clubs in the bag. i think it makes sense to have them as options for different courses and conditions. i have no idea what i'm going to get.

edit to add: i also have this crazy idea about putting a 4* driver head on a super short, super stout shaft. like 42" or 43". just seems like a fun thing to try.

Edited by hoselpalooza

Trying to answer a few questions in my set up.  #1 Driver fitting ( don’t know if anything is better than my current situation). I belIeve you should always look at options off the tee. #2 Decide if the 4 iron is out or I need to add a hybrid. #3 Find a 52* wedge I like. Equipment is the fun part of the game for me, I need to continue to work on conditioning and swing mechanics during the off season. 

Ping g430 10K w/ Ventus Red 6-S

TaylorMade iq10 5 Wood w/ TD-70-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

PXG 0317t w/steelfiber i95-S 5-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

SIM or 2021 Version of SIM 10.5 Ventus Blue 7X 

SIM Max or 2021 Version of SIM Max 15* Ventus Blue 8X

SIM Max or 2021 Version of SIM Max 19* Ventus Blue HB 10X

P770 3-5 $-Taper 130 (Playing to P7MC lofts)

P7MC 6-7 $ Taper 130 (Playing to P7MC lofts)

P7MB 8-PW $-Taper 130 (Playing to P7MC lofts)

SM8's or 2021 Version of Vokey's with DG TI S400 (51 / 55 / 59)

No putter change planned  (Spider X and TP Juno) When the Juno isn't working just put it in timeout and use the Spider for a round and then the Juno usually heats back up!lol!

With COVID and PACNW Fires my golf season has been non existent - 5 rounds all year down from my usual 50-75 per year. I had planned on getting new stick this year but with out many reps figured I would wait till 2021 Golf Season. Also trying to build a set that is swing weighted correctly Starting at D4 and going to D6 in the wedges. Curious to see if that helps the consistency factor. 

WITB - 4/2/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

4W: TSR3 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

7W: TSR2 21* - Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX-4 4-5 $-Taper 130X - SSX1

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H - DG X100TI
TaylorMade TP Collection Juno
Testing: Odyssey AI One Rossie S