2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Advice: Mizuno JPX921 Forged long iron forgiveness

quikcolin

Hey gang,

After the birth of our son, my golf game took a back seat.  The summer he was born I bought a new set of Nike Vapor Pro Combo irons (4-GW).  I always struggled a bit with consistency in the 5 and 4 iron, but otherwise loved them. 
Now that my son is older and I have more free time, I have joined a course and plan to play more. I’d like to get a new set of irons. Something forged, and something that offers a little more forgiveness in the long irons.  I keep coming back to the new Mizuno JPX921 Forged.  
I’m wondering if anyone has any insight on how the 921 Forged long irons (5 & 4) would compare to my Nike Pro Combo 5 and 4 irons?  Same?  Easier to hit?  Harder?     I realize the 921’s aren’t out yet. So maybe someone could comment on the 919 Forged (basically the same thing). I’m hoping that my increased play will take care of this issue, but I want to make my life easier as well.  
I was also considering a split set.  JPX921 Hot Metal Pro 5 & 4 irons and 921 Forged 6-GW.  But I hate the idea of having to have the lofts of the HMP’s adjusted to match....

Just thought I would bounce this off you guys “in the know”. 

thanks!

Colin. 

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST MAX w/MMT 60 X

Fairway - Callaway Rogue ST MAX LS w/ MMT 70 X

Hybrid - Callaway Apex 21 3H w/ Evenflow Black 85 X

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore 50 / 54 / 58 w/ TT Spinners

Putter(s) - Evnroll ER2 Blackout | Odyssey 2-Ball Eleven DB Tour Line

I play the 919F in 4-7 and the MP20 HMB in 8-P. My fitter adjusted each club for yardage, and most of the lofts were adjusted as well. Even though the 919F and HMB have the same lofts.  Split set and adjusting has never bothered me. Definitely try the clubs first to make sure you hit them well.  

As for the Mizuno vs the Nike, the Mizuno are very easy to hit and very forgiving. I had Nike Vapor Pro I bought used and had them adjusted to me and could never hit them well. 

Edited by JDennis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JDennis said:

I play the 919F in 4-7 and the MP20 HMB in 8-P. My fitter adjusted each club for yardage, and most of the lofts were adjusted as well. Even though the 919F and HMB have the same lofts.  Split set and adjusting has never bothered me. Definitely try the clubs first to make sure you hit them well.  

As for the Mizuno vs the Nike, the Mizuno are very easy to hit and very forgiving. I had Nike Vapor Pro I bought used and had them adjusted to me and could never hit them well. 

Thank you so much for the insights.   That HMB 921 combo is something I was considering as well!  I'm scheduled to see my local fitting facility on the 15th.  They should have all the new 921's in hand then and I can compare!  I'm excited!

I sure hope you're comment on Nike vs. Mizuno forgiveness holds true for me!  That would be wonderful.  Heck, I might not even need to split set.  Just go 4-GW 921F all the way through :)

Tested the JPX921 today and I thought the feel would be better in them. They absolutely fly miles and are easy to hit but preferred the feel of the mmc’s even though I was half a club down on them. 
It’s debatable whether you would even use a 4 iron in the jpx clubs as the loft of it is 21 degrees. I prefer the versatility a rescue club gives me in that loft. 

Edited by Guru of the greens
  • Like 1

The 921F will be MUCH more forgiving than your current irons based on Maltby ratings. 

The MOI of the 919 Forged was higher than the 919 HMP so I see little point in even considering a combo set. 

I was a big fan of the 919 Forged, but the 921 Forged is just Mizuno's attempt to build a club that performs identically to a P790.

Edited by bombs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

1 hour ago, bombs said:

The 921F will be MUCH more forgiving than your current irons based on Maltby ratings. 

The MOI of the 919 Forged was higher than the 919 HMP so I see little point in even considering a combo set. 

I was a big fan of the 919 Forged, but the 921 Forged is just Mizuno's attempt to build a club that performs identically to a P790.

This is pretty good advice and i would probably add you probably dont need the 21 degree 4 iron.

• Like 2

Too funny!  I was watching all the YouTube reviews I could, and was thinking this very same thing last night.  With these playing so long, a 5 iron would likely be as long as I’d need in an iron.  The Mizuno CLK hybrid could sit on top of the irons to bridge the gap between my 3 wood and 5 iron. 

So happy to hear your opinions on forgiveness!  Very encouraging!!! 

6 hours ago, bombs said:

Maltby #'s aren't the be-all-end-all...

I owned 919F's for nearly a year before switching to the 919HMP's. Found the HMP's more forgiving and at least half a club longer...with the same shaft. Moral of the story is demo if at all possible and don't rely on someone else's #'s as gospel.

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

13 minutes ago, rondre3000 said:

I owned 919F's for nearly a year before switching to the 919HMP's. Found the HMP's more forgiving and at least half a club longer...with the same shaft. Moral of the story is demo if at all possible and don't rely on someone else's #'s as gospel.

They arent end all be all, but gives a good indication, and it indicates not much difference between the two on a forgiveness level... at least not enough to combo(his words not mine) Also being  half a club longer with the HMP might have to do with lofts being stronger.

4 hours ago, Red4282 said:

They arent end all be all, but gives a good indication, and it indicates not much difference between the two on a forgiveness level... at least not enough to combo(his words not mine) Also being  half a club longer with the HMP might have to do with lofts being stronger.

You may be right about lofts = longer distance, but I swear I'm seeing more reliable peak heights as well. Again, YMMV but I feel relying on specs and data sheets alone is a tough to do and your on course results may be pretty different.

d: Epic Max | f: Rogue 3HL, Apex UW | h1: Apex Super | i: 923 HM | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

5 hours ago, rondre3000 said:

Other factors may be contributing to why you hit the HMP better but it's not forgiveness. Perhaps it's the thicker topline inspiring more confidence. different shaft working better for you, less offest suits your eye. Whatever it is, its not 'forgiveness' because MOI don't lie. 

Personally I would consider the HMP a downgrade from the 919F given the difference in feel. The only justification I would make to switch is to chase distance, but I would want more than 1/2 a club to justify the feel downgrade. 

Edited by bombs

PING G425 MAX W/ TENSEI AV RAW ORANGE X

TITLEIST TSR2 5 WOOD W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

TITLEIST TSR2 4 HYBRID W/ TENSEI 1K BLACK X

MIZUNO 223 5-P W/ DG 120 X100

MIZUNO T22 50-56-60 W/ DG S400

SCOTTY CAMERON PHANTOM X7

T

16 minutes ago, bombs said:

Other factors may be contributing to why you hit the HMP better but it's not forgiveness. Perhaps it's the thicker topline inspiring more confidence. different shaft working better for you, less offest suits your eye. Whatever it is, its not 'forgiveness' because MOI don't lie. 

Personally I would consider the HMP a downgrade from the 919F given the difference in feel. The only justification I would make to switch is to chase distance, but I would want more than 1/2 a club to justify the feel downgrade. 

Mmmm, not sure I agree unless I'm misunderstanding MOI to begin with. If on my best strikes I'm able to carry a HMP 7 iron to 160yds and the F to 153yds of carry, theoretically I could still mishit the HMP and still out carry the F model, no? So lets say I mishit the HMP that resulted in 5% loss of distance, vs the F that only resulted in 2% loss of distance because the F resists twisting more on off center strikes (higher MOI) we are still talking about 152yds of carry on the HMP and 147yds of carry on the F's.

I hear you about feel, and that is subjective. Like I said...I owned the F's for nearly a year before switching to the HMP's.  I owned the 900F's for nearly 2 years prior to that. Frankly I was shocked at just how good the HMP's feel. Definitely better than the 900F's, and nearly as sweet as the 919F's.

It all comes down to what your iron game will benefit from. When I gamed the 919 HMP, I found them quite forgiving however in the rough they snagged more than I liked which caused the blade to close down producing less than desirable results. The 919 Forged gave me better results and I happily accepted the loss of yardage. Then 919 Tour was like cheating out of the rough and again, I could live with the distance penalty. I settled into the 919F for the blend of distance, playability and feel. I’ve got the 921T coming. Having the Tour’s in the bag will give me more testing time for the Forged to see if the material change at the 7-8 iron will work for me. I’ve always avoided changing materials because the impact feel tends to change too. 

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

2 hours ago, rondre3000 said:

T

Mmmm, not sure I agree unless I'm misunderstanding MOI to begin with. If on my best strikes I'm able to carry a HMP 7 iron to 160yds and the F to 153yds of carry, theoretically I could still mishit the HMP and still out carry the F model, no? So lets say I mishit the HMP that resulted in 5% loss of distance, vs the F that only resulted in 2% loss of distance because the F resists twisting more on off center strikes (higher MOI) we are still talking about 152yds of carry on the HMP and 147yds of carry on the F's.

I hear you about feel, and that is subjective. Like I said...I owned the F's for nearly a year before switching to the HMP's.  I owned the 900F's for nearly 2 years prior to that. Frankly I was shocked at just how good the HMP's feel. Definitely better than the 900F's, and nearly as sweet as the 919F's.

Forgiveness has many aspects. Ball speed retention like you mentioned is one. For sure, although i dont know how you can say one is more forgiving when they dont have the same starting line... but anyways high moi has more of an effect on left/right dispersion which is another aspect of forgiveness.

• Like 1