Tag Heuer 2020 Golf watch

Anyone tried this out yet?  Please hold the price comments,  Yes, it is expensive.  I use a Garmin S62, which I have been happy with but I am a watch geek at heart, so I had to try this out.  It is really sleek but I feel like the entire golf experience on it is completely manual.  Anyone have better luck with it and know something I don't?  If it is truly a manual effort to track my golf, Tag will be getting their watch back from me.  As an example, with my S62, I do not need to enter anything throughout my round and at the end, it knows what I shot and where I hit my shots from.  I was hoping the Tag would have a similar offering, but so far , that does not seem to be the case.  FWIW, I don't care about all of the deep stats on any of the golf watches.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like yourself, I am also a watch geek and have always stuck with automatic/manual wind watches. I finally bought my first digital/smartwatch which was the MARQ Golfer. I haven't used the Tag Golf watch, but I did do a bit of research into both before buying. While the screen on the Tag has a much higher resolution and better screen, that's probably the only advantage it has. I believe, as you mentioned, the Tag is a more manual effort, as you have to manually enter each shot you take after you hit. With the Garmin, it detects when you hit a shot, and prompts you to select what club you used (unless you are using the CT10 Sensors, which then the watch will automatically know which club you used). My guess is the Tag only has a couple days battery life as well, while the Marq Golfer will last at least a week (depending on settings). If you want a more higher end feeling watch, I think the Marq Golfer is probably you're best (yes the features are similar to the S62, but the materials are more premium). I actually ended up buying the titanium bracelet for it, and it fits great. 

I’m close to buying the Tag both for fashion and sports capabilities .  

my only concern is the lifespan , these get outdated and sow down rather quickly .

i think I read the Tag only last a day or two, which I think is pretty bad .  It does like like they purchased the fun golf app and renamed it .

5 minutes ago, SoCalTitleist said:

I’m close to buying the Tag both for fashion and sports capabilities .  

my only concern is the lifespan , these get outdated and sow down rather quickly .

i think I read the Tag only last a day or two, which I think is pretty bad .  It does like like they purchased the fun golf app and renamed it .

Yeah pretty sure it only lasts that long as well, most likely due to the high resolution of the screen. I still think the Marq Golfer along with the titanium bracelet is a better overall purchase, but completely understand why someone would want the Tag over the Garmin, 

Tag is $2500 and you have to order it from Tag.  Many Tag retailers carry the other connected Tag watches but none carry the golf watch.

I am going to take the Tag out for one more round tomorrow.  It is an absolutely gorgeous watch and I am looking for a reason to keep it, but that reason needs to be around golf.  So I will give it one more go tomorrow and see what happens.

didn't intend for this to become a "live blog" but I did realize I had the "always on" setting checked for the watch face so I am sure that was killing the battery.  Heading out shortly with a full charge, an open mind and the face no longer "always on."  I will share my thoughts upon return.

watch battery held up well today.  took it off the charger at 8:00 am and tee'd off at 10:36.  I used the watch based GPS, which eats into the battery.  Battery currently stands at 45%.  Not bad.  I reviewed the golf tracking and it is ok.  I did forget to input my shots from time to time.  That is a PITA.  Jury still out.  Garmin funtionality is fantastic but this watch is just so nice...

• 2 months later...

ok.  Probably the last post from me on the Tag watch.  I ultimately returned it because the battery life was rally bad, the golf app is really not very useful (compared to the Garmin) and at $2700 (including tax) I just couldn't justify it.  Tag themselves tell you that the watch will be obsolete in 3 years.  The one take-a-way I had from the watch is that I did enjoy the "smart" aspects of it.  My compromise to myself was to keep my garmin for golf and get a cool Fossil 5 and some interchangeable watch bands.  All in for the Fossil and three bands was just over $200.  Pretty big savings.    The last time I used the Tag for golf, the battery was so low by the 15th hole that the golf app quit working.  Very Very cool watch, but just too much for too little.

I'm not familiar with this watch so humor me.  You say the watch battery life is one day?  Is that in all modes or only when playing golf.  I have a Bushnell gps watch and the specs say one charge is good for up to three rounds of golf or one year in watch only mode.  This is fairly accurate as I've gone away on weekends and charged it up on a Friday and played golf Saturday and Sunday with no problems.  Are you sure you have it set correctly as this is a huge difference.  

Sadly, I am speaking the realities of the watch.  If playing golf with it, you get about 3/4 of a day.  With no golf, about 1-1.5 days.  It is a known shortcoming of the watch.  My Garmin lasts forever when not playing golf and yes, I too get multiple rounds between charges.  It's crazy on the short battery life of the tag.

Wow. That is short battery life.  My 20 year old Omega Seamaster is good for at least three days without wearing it (of course it has zero value as a golf watch).  Tag has to address this.  Is the recharge time fairly quick?  I know after playing a couple rounds my Bushnell only takes an hour or two to fully recharge.  

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I got this watch for christmas and after taking out today im seriously thinking of taking it back.Yes it looks great but at £2,100 you would expect it to.

I had trouble with it straight from hole 1 where the yardage was out by nearly a 100yards🤔 and after hitting my first shot i still had the same yardage left.

Hole no 2 was only picked up by the watch halfway down the fairway🙈 and this carried on each hole i was going to and the yardage kept bouncing around.

I really expected this to be at least as good as a garmin but sadly it isnt,i will give it another go tomorow and see if im doing something wrong.

After all there is no instructions either to go off 🤬and if its the same tomorow  it is getting returned.

• 1 month later...

I messed around with it this summer for a few weeks. I think the band on it is the best in golf, the micro adjustment and soft rubber honestly stay in place more comfortably than any other watch I have worn on the course. Now the software does have some faults as mentioned above. I also had shots where it was giving me a yardage from a spot in the fairway and I was over in the rough and 20 yards in front of that spot. 

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube