What iron set has had the biggest incremental improvement in your game?

For me there is no question that my new set of Ping i500s with regular flex recoil shafts and powerspec lofts is it.  This is my first set of regular flex shafts and first set with graphite shafts.  I’ve always been a high ball hitter and even with these strong lofts I still hit a very high ball that has no problem holding greens.  Distance has improved significantly, especially in the long irons, which has really helped close the yardage gap between my 5 iron and 4 hybrid.  I’ve never had as many GIRs.  

My previous set of irons were Ping G. Prior to that I had been playing S55, G15, I5.  Handicap is 7.

Ping G410 9* Alta CB
Ping G410 15* 3 Wood Alta CB
Ping G410 19* & 22* Hybrid Alta CB
Ping G 5-UW N.S. Pro Modus3 105
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 54*, 58*
Ping Anser Milled 0
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1378338-pkshooter-witb-2016-all-ping/"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Around a decade ago I changed from Miura Tournament Blades to the Bridgestone J40 CB and moved my index from +1.4 to +3.8 in a little over a years' time. I know 2.4 strokes  doesn't sound significant

My biggest improvement came when I switched to Golden Ram Tour Grinds.  The season after I put them in play, I dropped my hdcp six to eight strokes.

Just ordered a set of g710.  They will be the set that does it again. 

I’ve been playing a long time.

Best Irons I ever had were Adams A4 Forged w/ DGSL s300. I was a 12 ish index when I got them.  

Picked up distance and and improved consistency over the MP30’s they replaced in 2009.
Played my best golf with them for about 3 years or so. High six index then. Shot several 2-3 over rounds and about 40% of rounds were < 82. 

Now, the question is, “ was my swing just better then or did those irons just work better for me?” I’ve had multiple injuries and compensating swing changes since 2013.  Now an 8 index and nearing 60yo. and dealing with a right rotor cuff tear ( no surg yet, just PT)

I’ve played Just about every OEM’s irons at some point, but for consistency, feel and turf interaction, those were hard to beat.

Current faves are Cobra Forged Tech Black. SeelFiber i95 regular.

Not A TM fan, but new forged cavity ( P7MC ) look like I could give them a try, though they might be a bit too demanding for me.

Edited by RainShadow

Ping G400 10.5 (9.75) Hzrdus Yellow 5.5 76 ( Atmos Blue TS 6 sometimes)
Callaway Rogue 17* 4wd Atmos Blue TS 70  
Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW SteelFiber i95cw R (2019 Forged Tec SteelFiber i95cw R trial run ) 
Vokey SM7 54/8 M 
Mack Daddy PM 58/12
Toulon Madison H1 neck / Bettinardi BB1 Tiki 2016 / Toulon Long Island
 Wilson Staff FG Tour/ TM Tour Response/ BStone B RXS

My 1990s Nicklaus N1 irons but I took lessons that year . 
Currently my Mavrik irons , my Hcp is down about 2 strokes. But the short game is not cooperating. They are long, yes, but hitting them straighter than any  irons I’ve ever owned.

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

Around a decade ago I changed from Miura Tournament Blades to the Bridgestone J40 CB and moved my index from +1.4 to +3.8 in a little over a years' time. I know 2.4 strokes  doesn't sound significant but trust me... Now this also coincides with changing from 588 to Chikara V1 wedges and the Callaway FT9-TA Driver, but the J40 CB had as much if not more to do with it than the other clubs. 

• Like 3

JBeam Bullet 10* Ventus Black 6X
Exotics CBX 119 13.5* 3WD & 18* 5WD Accra TourZ 382 M5
Exotics CB2  21* 7WD Accra TZ5 85 M5  
PING S55 5-9 Mitsubishi MMT-125TX
Miura Tour Milled Wedge 48, 52, 56, 60 Fuji MCI 125 Solid

Bettinardi Innovai Tour DASS Flowneck Prototype

I was playing to a 5.6 when I got a set of J15cb.  I was experimenting with shafts and put some soft stepped X100 AMT in them and started shooting some really good rounds.  Managed to get down to 70 four times before the inner ho took over and I sold them.  I got down to a 2.0 during my run with them and won most improved in my club last year.  Sounds stupid to move on but I moved back to another set of favorites, the Z745.  They helped me shoot my first sub 70 round ever... I'd like to give them both the nod, but the J15s really helped me to get better, no question.

Ping G400 Max 9* PX HZRDUS Yellow 63 6.0

Titleist 917f2 16.5* Aldila Rogue silver 70s

Titleist 915h 21* Aldila Rogue black 85s

Srixon Z745 4-P Modus 105s

Titleist Vokey SM6 52/12, 58/12 TI S400

Ping Anser Milled 2

Mizuno jpx919 hot metal pro’s have really helped me improve. HC came down from an 11 to current HC of 7. Previous irons were Titleist 714 AP1’s. The reduction of offset has mostly eliminated that left miss. Nothing worse than an slight over the top swing magnified by too much release and right to left wind. Once you see that shot, then I overcompensate and not release and block right. My dispersion is much tighter now and it’s much easier to figure out what caused a missed Iron shot. I think this has also helped with driver and my wedge game. Don’t see myself ever playing irons with excessive offset. 

Just ordered a set of g710.  They will be the set that does it again. 

• Haha 1

Ping 9° G410+ tensi orange s
Ping 3 Wood G410+ tour 75 shaft s.  
Ping 5 wood G410 Alta s
Adams 9031 23° Mitsubishi diamana 
Ping G710 DG 105 R300
Ping glide stealth 54° es grind
Ping glide 2 58°. ES
Ping anser f titanium pixel.  

Not so much irons, but iron shafts. Several years back, I was struggling with my irons. The best way to describe them was inefficient. My distance and consistency with them didn't match the rest of my game. I switched from stiff to x-stiff shafts and my iron game came to life. Got my scores down in the low 70s with a couple of under par rounds and the main reason was improved iron play moving to KBS Tour 130x from dgs300. 

Fast forward to this year and I had continued to play the heavy, x-stiff shafts, but the performance was not matching the effort. Scores consistently in the high 70s with a good round hovering around 75.  Sold my sets in order to fund new irons. While demoing, I put an old set of MP32s in the bag. They had DGR400 regular flex shafts. First round out with them, I shot 75 (+2). Next round was cut short by darkness but I was -3 through 16. Long story short, I put a set of ping Blueprints in the bag with KBS 110 regular shafts and have been playing lights out golf ever since. Highest round since July 4 was a 77 (+4) with 2 rounds of level par and multiple partial rounds at and under par. The shaft change had made the game much easier. 

• Like 1

My biggest improvement came when I switched to Golden Ram Tour Grinds.  The season after I put them in play, I dropped my hdcp six to eight strokes.

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver:  Cobra Fly-Z+, Xcaliber 7.5 TS, 44", King LTD, HZRDUS 75 6.5, 44.25"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Aldila Tour Blue 85 S, 42.5"; Stage 2 Tour, SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X, 42.5"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300; Golden Ram TW276, NV105; Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5; Ram TG-898, Super Peening Blue X; 1980 Golden Rams, Dynamic S; MacGregor Muirfield, Dynamic S; Wilson Staff 78 Tour Blades, Dynamic S
GW:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400
SW:  Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.25"; Yes! Nicky, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or 50 Elite, TP5

Mizuno MP68’s. My first set of blades they helped me a great deal in scoring and enjoyment of the game 

Driver = Taylormade SIM 8* Hzrdus green 6.0

1 iron = Titleist U501 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
Irons = Wilson Staff tour blade,  4-PW
Wedges = Titleist 52* SM6

Taylormade 56* and 60* MG2

Putter = Scotty Del Mar

Wilson Staff 8882

Ball = Experimenting at moment

Easy for me. In 1984 or so I got a set of Ping Eye 2's (that I still have.) Prior to that I played Jack Nicklaus blades and prior to that an assortment of blades. The Eye 2's were a huge improvement for a hacker like me.

Ping G410 Tour AD DI6

Ping G30 3W

Ping G30 5W

Ben Hogan VKTR Hybrid

Ping G400 5-SW Steelfiber i95

Ping Glide LW

Scotty Cameron Fastback or

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Easy - Cleveland 588 Altitudes. 

When I first started gaming then I was shooting 90-100’s. About 5-6 seasons later was shooting in the low 70’s to mid 80’s, with my best round ever of 74 (+3 using them). 

These made golf fun for me. 

Callaway Epic Flash 12*

Callaway Epic Flash 7w / 11w

Exotics Xrail 5h

PXG 0311 Gen 2 SGI 6-SW

Cleveland CBX 60* 

Callaway Sure Out 64*

Bettinardi BB29

Titleist ProV1x Yellow

Handicap: 9.2

Since this is a passive brag thread....

About a decade ago I went to X-22's with graphite shaft (same as prev clubs) and went from about an 8 to a 3.  Also used the new Callaway X Forged wedges with crazy good grooves.  Man, that was a good summer!  Went to i20's for 2 years and played like crap.  Back to X2 Hot and back to a decent hcp.  Funny how you like a particular look and type of club.

• Like 1

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I would say my TaylorMade P790's as I've never been able to reach so many par 5's with my 4 and 5I as they are so easy to hit.My time now with my PING G710 are inching there way  to that status as I'm still trying to adjust to them. The feel and sound with the PING's is taking time to get used to but they do perform nicely

Funny how what is junk for one is gold for another. I played I20's for several years and they were wonderful, like lasers at the pins. Being the d*****s I am I sold them. Haven't found anything since as good for me. Ah well, welcome to Golfwrx!

First time I ever shot under 79 was with a set of Callaway X-14’s. The big offset ones. 
Got rid of them a few weeks later because I was a playa. 
I think I should buy another set....

Srixon Z585, 10.5*
TaylorMade SIM Max 5 wood 18*

Titleist TS2 21* hybrid
Cobra DWS 23*, Nippon 950GH
Callaway X-14 5-PW

Vokey SM7 52F
Vokey SM7 56M

Vokey 60M
TaylorMade Ardmore 1

I don't really think you'll improve your game with a new set of irons. It takes practice to improve and the fastest way to improve is the short game for sure. I game 2 different sets of irons and it doesn't make a huge difference besides the distance difference i get from my CBs opposed to my MBs. The only difference I really noticed is if I get a little toey on a par 3 the CBs will still have the ball on the green.

I feel getting fitted for irons is the biggest improvement.  My M2 Tour irons had the biggest improvement on my game and it was also the first set of irons I got fitted for.  For the fitting, it is figuring out what shaft to get. I always played Dynamic Gold shaft, then I went C-Taper in the M2 Tour's and it made a huge difference.  Wanted to go Modus 3 120 in my new irons and found out they were horrible for my game, and got fitted to Project X 6.0's, by far the tightest dispersion shaft I have hit for my swing. 

Its been more the fittings than specific iron set.  Got fitted in 2011 with Taylormade TP CB's.  Played great with them.  Advance 9 yrs, got fitted with Ping G700's.  Play great with them.  Still maintaining 5 handicap while playing weekends.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 w/ Project X Evenflow Green 55 R shaft Fairway woods: Callaway Epic Flash 5 and 7 wood Hybrids: Callaway Big Bertha 4i and 5i Irons: Ping G700 6 - U wedge Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 56 and 60 degree Putter: Vons SS398 / mySpider X

Current set. PING blueprints. (mostly due to it being the only one professionally fit for me). I honestly would put that down to correct specs more than the club head. Shaft/lie/length/loft/weight etc

Iron fittings are so important because iron and wedge play (imo) is the key to consistency. you can drive the ball great but if you can't hit a green you're not gonna have much fun. Made a huge difference in my overall consistency - I haven't shot over 76 since lockdown 

I always played Titleist clubs for years (DCI's, AP2's) and then went to Mizuno MP (53 & 54) and I played all those well.   I wasn't a PING guy but a friend at a golf store asked me to try a set of PING i e1 when they first came out.   I never hit so many good shots ever......I had to buy them.   I am now a PING guy and have the i210's and even more happy with them.

Titleist 910D2
TaylorMade M6 19*
TaylorMade SIM MAX 21*
PING i210 
PING Glide 3.0 54* 58*
PING SCOTTSDALE TR

34 minutes ago, jmccaff said:

I always played Titleist clubs for years (DCI's, AP2's) and then went to Mizuno MP (53 & 54) and I played all those well.   I wasn't a PING guy but a friend at a golf store asked me to try a set of PING i e1 when they first came out.   I never hit so many good shots ever......I had to buy them.   I am now a PING guy and have the i210's and even more happy with them.

mccaff got me thinking about what I read on WITB for Stewart Cink. He also plays the i210's 4-UW. I was surprised to see that he uses the UW. I just mention this because of all the threads and posts we see about wedges (using the set wedge or a specialty wedge). His 56 and 60 are Volkeys BTW. Just interesting to see a pro using the "set" UW!

Currently I game mix set of Honma 747V (5 -7) and Rose Proto (8-P).  Prior, I had Mizuno JPX EZ Forged.  Since Honma, my hcp went down by 4 pts.  I love the consistency of Honma.  Not super easy nor super hard, it delivers good mid trajectory with soft feel.  Sorry, Mizuno, much much much better feel.  

Currently, either 747V or Rose Proto are selling pretty cheap on ebay.  you must consider if you are looking for a set with attitude.