2020 ANA Inspiration

18majors

It's strange how Ariya has dropped off, nowhere near a Yani Tseng level but a drop off the top tier.  Because of it, we don't really get to see her in coverage anymore and I did see some shot over in Europe don't remember which event but she was still using the driving irons and 3-wood.  Anyone who follows her a little more closely know if she's still anti-driver so to speak.  Cause it could be a good week to shake things up and free the beast and use that driver for better or worse and also show the LPGA who the true longest hitter on the LPGA really is ?

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Stooch said:

It's strange how Ariya has dropped off, nowhere near a Yani Tseng level but a drop off the top tier.  Because of it, we don't really get to see her in coverage anymore and I did see some shot over in Europe don't remember which event but she was still using the driving irons and 3-wood.  Anyone who follows her a little more closely know if she's still anti-driver so to speak.  Cause it could be a good week to shake things up and free the beast and use that driver for better or worse and also show the LPGA who the true longest hitter on the LPGA really is ?

I'm sure Ariya is the longest among the original group of stars, like Rory McIlroy or Dustin Johnson used to be.

But the new breed of Bianca Pagdanganan, Maria Fassi or Anne van Dam are like Bryson DeChambeau., Cameron Champ or Matthes Wolff, they're entirely different beasts.  Bianca, for example, can carry 310 yards before any roll outs.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 18majors said:

I'm sure Ariya is the longest among the original group of stars, like Rory McIlroy or Dustin Johnson used to be.

But the new breed of Bianca Pagdanganan, Maria Fassi or Anne van Dam are like Bryson DeChambeau., Cameron Champ or Matthes Wolff, they're entirely different beasts.  Bianca, for example, can carry 310 yards before any roll outs.

Bianca can carry 310 before any roll outs?

Damn, only 2 PGA players have done that EVER. Cameron Champ last year at 311 and Bryson this year at 314. 

• Like 3

I'm still shocked this tournament was scheduled at all, knowing what the temps in the desert normally are this time of year.  I suspect there might be some drop outs due to 

heat exhaustion (or worse).  Play is generally pretty slow in LPGA majors, and that many hours out there just isn't not safe.  IMHO........

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kaysquare said:

I'm still shocked this tournament was scheduled at all, knowing what the temps in the desert normally are this time of year.  I suspect there might be some drop outs due to 

heat exhaustion (or worse).  Play is generally pretty slow in LPGA majors, and that many hours out there just isn't not safe.  IMHO........

Kay!  No bad juju!

• Like 2

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Ill root for the "best players without a major" this week: SYK and Minjee...  though saying that might have jinxed my picks already LOL...  

And yes, Bianca can go 310 without roll out but that's in practice... Dunno if officially she it it in the last 10 rounds she's played in so far... (I'm more concerned / interested in her improving her wedge and sand/bunker game for next week)

Edited by Newinup
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Newinup said:

Ill root for the "best players without a major" this week: SYK and Minjee...  though saying that might have jinxed my picks already LOL...  

And yes, Bianca can go 310 without roll out but that's in practice... Dunno if officially she it it in the last 10 rounds she's played in so far... (I'm more concerned / interested in her improving her wedge and sand/bunker game for next week)

For me the problem judging Bianca (not her fault) I haven't seen enough on course coverage of her, I base my opinion of Ariya being the longest on tour if she used her driver is her swing speed.  I've thought for years on the LPGA she was a step above.  Maybe actual stats will disprove my view cause it's only an eye test.  When I get to see more of Bianca over time my opinion could change, but after seeing Fassi over time she has a great swing speed also.  And if it's practice, we can make this happen, I'm sure Ariya wouldn't mind bringing the driver to the range and freeing the beast lol ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kaysquare said:

Just hope one of those roaming Blackouts don't hit right about the time you're gonna turn on the pumps to water the greens.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Stooch said:

For me the problem judging Bianca (not her fault) I haven't seen enough on course coverage of her, I base my opinion of Ariya being the longest on tour if she used her driver is her swing speed.  I've thought for years on the LPGA she was a step above.  Maybe actual stats will disprove my view cause it's only an eye test.  When I get to see more of Bianca over time my opinion could change, but after seeing Fassi over time she has a great swing speed also.  And if it's practice, we can make this happen, I'm sure Ariya wouldn't mind bringing the driver to the range and freeing the beast lol ?

I believe you're right. Ariya has swung 3W at around 106 MPH, just below the PGA Tour average of 107 MPH. So that would put her driver SS at about 112 MPH, and I don't think anyone else on the LPGA can swing driver faster than that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stooch said:

Haha not a problem.  Bianca knows she needs to improve her wedge play and we will let the "driving" be her foundation to hopefully make the cuts and place well in future tournaments she gets to play in.   Such is golf I guess, need to grab the opportunity and play well and then you get to play more (and it'll keep going and going)...  We've digressed LOL.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Newinup said:

Haha not a problem.  Bianca knows she needs to improve her wedge play and we will let the "driving" be her foundation to hopefully make the cuts and place well in future tournaments she gets to play in.   Such is golf I guess, need to grab the opportunity and play well and then you get to play more (and it'll keep going and going)...  We've digressed LOL.  

That is the key to winning on the LPGA, you gotta have a good iron and wedge game.  Or at least a high enough ceiling for your iron play, that you can bring at least 10 times a year to give that chance to win.  Almost all the top pro's have ebbs and flows with their irons over the course of a season, IMO your ceiling when playing good with them has to be the difference over 4 days.  There are a couple who I think show up each week with great iron play like Jin Young Ko and In bee Park.  You can out drive Inbee by 60 yards all day long and she'll pepper the pin and make you have a very unenjoyable day of golf lol.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Newinup said:

I wonder who her practice partner(s) has/have been - and presumably, she didn't need to quarantine 14 days upon arrival in the US based on her twitter language?  (Eg jetlag, etc).  I know she didn't play in AK...  but if no quarantine, yikes!

Players don't need to be quarantined as long as they stay inside the LPGA bubble.

But I assume LPGA can't maintain the bubble during the off week after Walmart NWA Championship.

LPGA is rebuilding the bubble this week at ANA.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Players don't need to be quarantined as long as they stay inside the LPGA bubble.

But I assume LPGA can't maintain the bubble during the off week after Walmart NWA Championship.

LPGA is rebuilding the bubble this week at ANA.

Anyone know how often they were tested during the off week? I recall seeing Kelly Tan post test results recently. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AWinfortheAges said:

Anyone know how often they were tested during the off week? I recall seeing Kelly Tan post test results recently. 

I've no idea what LPGA did during player's off week other than counting on players to be astute in their social distancing.

The important step is the tests they conducted when players reported to ANA either last Saturday or Sunday.

That's when Charley tested positive.

Edited by 18majors

6 minutes ago, Stooch said:

Going in pairs will also probably cut back the amount of time on the course, things should move faster, so you don't have players in that heat for 6 hours

Yes, a small field is a powerful thing to have, twosome is one of them.

Actually, forecast has got better and better, max temperature for both Thursday and Friday will be no more than 93-95 F.

It may take a record of better than -15 to win it this year.

• Like 2

Just now, Stooch said:

@18majors

It will be interesting to see what the rough is like this time of year and how the balls come out of it.  It's usually a big defense for the course during it's early season time slot.

I read they cut hundreds of trees because of ages, diseases and other reasons; as a result rough has been growing healthily due to plenty of sunshine.

At Mission Hills, it seems roughs are rough around the greens but not as penal next to fairways.

The premium at ANA has always been hitting the greens; especially hitting the greens in two on par 5's.

Tomorrows Skins Match between Christina Kim/Angela Stanford and Katherine Kirk/Amy Olson should give us some ideas about the course at this time of the year.

• Like 2

Thicker grass, fewer trees won't change character of ANA Inspiration course

“The players with the flatter swing planes and the less shallow angle of attack are going to have some advantage on Bermuda because it favors the pickers rather that the gougers with the more vertical swing and the higher ball flight,” Walker said.

"On the greens, tournament staff likely won’t be able to get the greens to roll as fast as usual with the overseeded rye. The Bermuda turf will be drier and firmer, making getting close to the pins tougher than with the softer rye. Putts might also break a bit more than in previous years because the Bermuda grass has more grain than the rye grass, even when cut to greens height."

Edited by 18majors
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 18majors said:

I've no idea what LPGA did during player's off week other than counting on players to be astute in their social distancing.

The important step is the tests they conducted when players reported to ANA either last Saturday or Sunday.

That's when Charley tested positive.

It was ashleigh buhai that she was partnered with in practice... Source: golf channel at 6pm through Lisa Cornwell... I answered my own question lol

• Like 1