What happened to Hunter Mahan?

stlouismark

The causes of Hunter's downfall are all over the map.  A recurring theme that comes up is Foley.  No one has nailed it yet.

It's the prescribing of the D-Plane and it's swing geometry to Mahan's swing.  A skilled hands golfer should never feel the need to vertically manipulate the club head for intended results.  The damage is done and now has to unlearn it, and go back to his natural golf foundation that he built his initial golf career on.  Hunter is not the only golfer that has had their swings de-skilled by the D-Plane.    

• Like 1

On 9/10/2020 at 1:01 PM, Dr. Block said:

I will say I don't miss looking at the tacky and gaudy sunglasses he always wore.   He and Zac Johnson are two professional golfers that fail at sunglasses. 

Really? Oakley Flak Jackets are hardly tacky or gaudy in my world. They are world class optics developed for sport and have personally saved me from countless vision induced (chrome glare) migraines on the course. Zach nearly always has his on as well. I would imagine he might also be sensitive to the light.

• Like 3

On 9/12/2020 at 2:33 PM, MtlJeff said:

My memory of Mahan is getting one of the worst breaks in modern major history at Bethpage back the year Glover won. I think it was 17 where he was tied for the lead, hit an iron right at the flag, had it hit the flag and bounce like 20 yards back off the green, and he didn't get up and down....was like a 2 shot swing. 

Poor guy...Others may not like his swing but i remember when he was in his prime he was considered one of the better drivers of the ball. 

He came really close to being a major champion. I always wonder how guys lives might have been different if one bounce goes the other way

Agreed. I remember that.

My memory is of him beating then No 1 Rory McIlroy to win the WGC Match Play at Dove Mountain at a time when Rory was winning everything. The next year he made it all the way to the final again before losing to El Cheapo No Gimme. Despite his infamous botched chip in the 2010 Ryder Cup (that wouldn't have mattered as McDowell was making birdies everywhere), he had a pretty good team record. 10-7-1 (3-1 in singles) in the Presidents Cup and all things considered a decent Ryder Cup record of 4-4-4 (0-1-2 in Singles). 

The dude could flat golf his ball. Had Haas not hit a stupidly ridiculous shot out of the water, he probably would be a Fed Ex Cup champ as well. It's a shame about the family/legal issues. Would be cool to see him get back out there and make some noise on Tour. 

My dad and I were paired up with Hunter's uncle a few months ago.  He was a nice guy, and I told him to tell Hunter that a lot of people are hoping he can turn his game around.

• Like 1

917D2 - Diamana D+ 70

917F2 - Diamana D+ 80

818H1 - Tensei CK Blue 80

716 AP2 - S300

SM7 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.12K

Pro Platinum Newport '99 w/ SuperStoke GT Pistol

ProV1

Priorities...

Family

Cheers?

RP

• Like 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

• 4 months later...
On 9/10/2020 at 12:36 PM, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

It happens all the time. Guys make some big money and gain significant financial security for their families.  They become less "hungry" and prioritize their lives differently.  Mahan has made over $40M on the PGA tour alone plus a huge pension so it's entirely possible it's at least part of his story.  Over the last 20 years or so I know I've heard other Tour guys admit that once they'd made some big money that golf was less of a priority in their lives.  Heck the list of huge contract NFL busts is long as well.  

But to have to sell your house is concerning. Sold it to Spieth. Perhaps thats why Spieth is in a slump-house has bad juju.

I asked this same question to myself a few days ago. What in the heck ever happend to Hunter Mayan?! The last thing I remembered about him was an article talking about him being a rising star and his new Bentley... And then it’s like he just fell off the face of he earth! Such a crazy game when you can go from being that competitive to just losing it seemingly over night 😳

Edited by TIScape

1 minute ago, Ferguson said:

........marital troubles. 

Very good looking wives can = crazy train.  I like him and he could play.  I hope he can get it back but golf is hard.  So many good players today.  One of the golf commentators said guys coming out of college are fearless.  There is no learning curve anymore - some of them are ready to go like Matt Wolff.  Crazy.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 7:51 AM, nova6868 said:

Agreed. I'm sure they have their side of the story, I assume it involves saving the money so his daughters can eventually have it. But given the Mahans are already multi-millionaires it just doesn't have a good look. 

"In the suit, Enloe details how in 2012 he bought a life-insurance policy for Katie that carried a death benefit of $500,000. Enloe says in the suit that “while Katie was incapacitated, heavily medicated and in hospice,” Mahan and Breaux “exerted undue influence” on Katie that resulted in a change to the beneficiary designation to Mahan. Enloe claims that he has a written confirmation of the electronic change from the insurance policy that was dated July 2, 2018 – one day before Katie died.

Enloe alleges that Mahan and Breaux falsely told Katie, “in her weakened and medicated state,” that her two daughters would lose their private-school scholarships if Enloe remained the beneficiary. After the designation change, Mahan possesses the death benefits – intended to be used for care of Enloe’s two daughters and other household expenses – and Enloe has no control over how the funds are allocated.

Enloe also alleges that, “under the premise they would help remove Katie’s clothing and accessories to assist in his grieving,” Mahan and Breaux took without his permission a “great deal of valuable jewelry that once belonged to Katie,” items that included a $30,000 engagement ring and $20,000 Rolex watch."

My guess is Enloe and his wife were on the verge of a divorce and she was trying to keep the money out of his hands.  It goes to Khandi and she hands out the money for the kids educations and ect as she sees fit.  That would make a lot more sense to me than Hunter and Khandi doing something unethical as many here are suggesting.

3 hours ago, TIScape said:

It was mentioned in another post earlier in this thread. He had 3 wins on tour after the Ryder Cup Incident. 

Correct. He won 3 more PGA Tour events and reached his highest world ranking after his RC mishap. He withdrew from the 2013 Canadian Open while leading after the 2nd round due to his wife going into labor. Played on the 2014 RC team.

It seems it all started when he began doing Ace Hardware commercials.  The temptation to be a DIY guy was just too enticing.  Next thing you know he was obsessed with power tools instead of spending quality time with Sean Foley digging it out of the dirt in front of a video recorder.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Hard to see him ever getting back to anywhere other than also run. There is simply no chance that he is able to complete effectively on a Tour which is filled with guys like Wolff, Hovland, Morikawa never mind guys like JT, Rahm, Koepka and DJ. He just doesn’t have that game any longer.

Seemed like he was one of those guys who did most things well (except chipping) but nothing exceptionally well. When those parts all seem to slip back, a little like they seem to have with Martin Kaymer, there is nothing there for Mahan to separate himself with which is why he ends up back in the pack at best.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

20 minutes ago, MattyO1984 said:

Hard to see him ever getting back to anywhere other than also run. There is simply no chance that he is able to complete effectively on a Tour which is filled with guys like Wolff, Hovland, Morikawa never mind guys like JT, Rahm, Koepka and DJ. He just doesn’t have that game any longer.

Seemed like he was one of those guys who did most things well (except chipping) but nothing exceptionally well. When those parts all seem to slip back, a little like they seem to have with Martin Kaymer, there is nothing there for Mahan to separate himself with which is why he ends up back in the pack at best.

Though he doesn't need to compete and win against all those guys. As Kevin Kisner said “Because they give away a lot of money for 20th."  🙂

• Like 3

The shades he had on yesterday were so ugly, they were awesome. They were like the late 90’s Oakley’s on steroids.

If anything, he must have some confidence about his game because there is no way an unconfident person is walking around with those on.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

On 2/9/2021 at 3:32 AM, MattyO1984 said:

he was in the top rankings for total driving for awhile. It’s crazy how he lost his game. I use to watch him for his tempo to help me, guy never falls out of balance either 

On 9/18/2020 at 12:35 AM, gunmetal said:

Really? Oakley Flak Jackets are hardly tacky or gaudy in my world. They are world class optics developed for sport and have personally saved me from countless vision induced (chrome glare) migraines on the course. Zach nearly always has his on as well. I would imagine he might also be sensitive to the light.

Costa sunglasses is fantastic with blue and red filtering.   I know fishermen who use them and would come in with headaches from the sun.  No more.  I have two pair.