• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve said it before, people shouldn’t drink and post.  

Nick Price played the same Ram Irons for 20 years.  Managed to win a British Open and two PGA Championships.

Well for the most part, I agree with you.  But there are a couple exceptions for a very small percentage of players.   1) For the very high end player, since the ball is much lower spinning

9 hours ago, Old Tom Morris said:

Nick Price played the same Ram Irons for 20 years.  Managed to win a British Open and two PGA Championships.

Well for the most part, I agree with you.  But there are a couple exceptions for a very small percentage of players.

1) For the very high end player, since the ball is much lower spinning than it was back in Nick's days and the way the short game has changed over time, wedge grooves can wear out and may need to be replaced periodically.

2) Then the newer thin face drivers/woods have higher failure rates, particularly for higher swing speed players.   In some few cases it might be a manufacturing defect but more frequently it technically is wear since it usually comes from fatigue and micro fractures building to the point where it finally gives away completely.

Other than that, if you take care of your gear properly, your body will likely wear out before your clubs for the vast majority of amateurs.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 4

Unless you are practicing for several hours a day, I don’t think you’ll wear out anything other than wedges in the every other year timeline. For irons and wedges, the grooves are the only thing that really wears. As a junior, when I was hitting balls for at least an hour a day, much more in the summer, I’d replace my wedges about once a season and wore out the bottom groove of my 7 iron and PW over the course of about 3 years.My range rat days are over and I’d be shocked if I was able to wear out the grooves on a set of irons over the course of a decade. 

The faces on modern metal woods will eventually cave in, but until that point they are still useful. 

Titleist TS3 - Diamana ZF

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 3-PW - KBS Tour

Vokey SM7 (raw) 55*M & 60*L - KBS Tour

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid Slant

Lamkin Crossline Cord Midsize | ProV1

On 9/7/2020 at 7:16 PM, hansforegolf said:

I disagree that golf equipment can't be wore out maybe for a casual golfer you can have the same set for 20 years but any serious golfer needs new equipment at least every other year

Ya man, you got this. Only 68 more posts and you can sell some stuff! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Epic Flash 9* -- HZRDUS Smoke 60

Epic Flash 3W -- HZRDUS Smoke 70

Apex '19 3H -- Catalyst 70

Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli-Hi 4 -- Modus 105

Mizuno MP18 MMC 5-PW -- Modus 120

New Level 50* -- Modus 120

Callaway MD4 54*,60* -- TT s200 ti

Taylormade Spider

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2020 at 10:16 PM, hansforegolf said:

I disagree that golf equipment can't be wore out maybe for a casual golfer you can have the same set for 20 years but any serious golfer needs new equipment at least every other year

I’m going to believe this is fact so I don’t feel so bad when I buy new irons for no good reason...

I’ve worn out multiple wedges.  Forged irons can certainly be worn out if you spend a lot of time on a sandy range.   Big hitters can break a driver on occasion.  For the most part a set of irons, putters and fairways should last for many years for most players.  

I played a set of i3’s for about 15 years, they are retired but are still in great shape.  Vokey wedges on the other hand can lose their chrome pretty quickly.  

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3