When to Upgrade Irons?

npintooo12

Morning, All,

My golf season is winding down, fall gets tough to get out (especially this year) since my wife is a teacher and I am in current "full time employee" + "full time dad" working from home...

That being said I am in that annual internal struggle period of "should I upgrade my bag this winter?" Hence, I take to the Forums!

I do  know that playing more is probably  the answer but I still inquire...when to upgrade?

The equipment in question are my Taylormade Rocketbladez Tour irons. 

image.png.98060886f02ad00ac889bd29f10fbb33.png

I have played them 4-5 years and have seen no real change in my golf game.  My handicap has been between 4-5.5 which is comfortable for me (I can save myself the 1.5-2 hours and just post a 38 or 39) but I used to (before kids) be flirting with a 1-2 handicap. 

Those days I played the Taylormade TP MB Smoke irons (best irons I've ever played) but pulled them from the bag because they were ATR (Additional Testing Required) on the USGA Conforming Irons Database. 

image.png.f27e9ae0936030a28c55fa43c9d49893.png

At this point I had planned to play in some local events and tourneys so I decided to upgrade to the RBZ Tours.  The distance and forgiveness was by far better in the RBZ Tours but my dispersion to the pin suffered. 

My girls are a little older and am able to play a little more than I have in the past couple summers and have been frustrated in my game not being able to get to the next level I was at a mere 4 years ago.  My thinking is to try to get back into more traditional blades to really dial in that dispersion to the pin and give myself more legitimate chances at birdie.

The front runner that has my attention is...

image.png.e642362cbc0d468855ea61c36663460b.png

My first real set when I was a kid, I went to the local shop and picked out the Ben Hogan BH5 irons so there is some nostalgia in this thinking BUT I have yet to read or watch a review that hasn't been favorable of these sticks.  And for the price...what do you all think?

Hope all is well, thanks in advance for your comments!

• Like 1

I've never found an iron set that really improved my hc. So for me it comes down to just wanting a new toy. As far as Hogan irons go....they do look nice. My first good set of irons were Hogan Apex's back in the late 60's. I loved them. 

• Like 1

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

2 hours ago, bullie76 said:

I've never found an iron set that really improved my hc. So for me it comes down to just wanting a new toy. As far as Hogan irons go....they do look nice. My first good set of irons were Hogan Apex's back in the late 60's. I loved them. 

Thanks @bullie76 I appreciate the comment! It is definitely wishful thinking that a new set of irons or any other club in the bag for that matter will improve the handicap they way I want to.  I know deep down that the answer is to play more but when playing more is hard to do it is easier to go to the store haha.

I felt like when I was gaming the Taylormade TP MB Smoke irons, it kept me in the shot more, mentally than my RBZ Tours.  I think when the mishit is more damning, you pay a little more attention to the lie, the wind, the strike than irons that are built for a little more forgiveness.  I shouldn't talk that the RBZ tours are a chunky game improvement iron because they are plenty compact and workable.

Again to your point earlier though, this may be justification for wanting new toys...the contemplation continues...

For me, 3-4 seasons on a set of irons is enough.  At that point the desire to try something new outweighs my wallet liking the money that is in it.  Now drivers, that seems to be a different story.  I have bought the prior years TM driver for the last 4 seasons looking for "The one".  

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

10 minutes ago, trilerian said:

For me, 3-4 seasons on a set of irons is enough.  At that point the desire to try something new outweighs my wallet liking the money that is in it.  Now drivers, that seems to be a different story.  I have bought the prior years TM driver for the last 4 seasons looking for "The one".  

I have been a Taylormade guy for many years but last off season (end of 2018), I bought the PING G400 LST (stock stiff shaft) and haven't looked back!  If you haven't tried that yet, I STRONGLY encourage it.  It's long and consistent.  And since they're a year or two "old" now, you can get them for a pretty good price!

My only advice is do you fitting / head to head comparison while you are still actively playing before it gets too late in the fall.  It’s fine to wait to buy new clubs in the winter, but I would do your evaluations when you swing is in shape.

• Thanks 1

Ping G410 9* Alta CB
Ping G410 15* 3 Wood Alta CB
Ping G410 19* & 22* Hybrid Alta CB
Ping G 5-UW N.S. Pro Modus3 105
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 54*, 58*
Ping Anser Milled 0
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1378338-pkshooter-witb-2016-all-ping/"]WITB Link[/url]

I went from circa 2013 irons to 2017/18 irons this year and I have to admit that the technology improvements were noticeable to me. You can infer that by jumping to a 2017/18 set in 2020 that the improvement in technology from 2017-2020 was not noticeable to me.

I think it's worth changing anytime you have a step function improvement in your game and/or across enough time where technology/materials/design have actually changed enough to make the juice worth the squeeze.

Driver: Cobra LTDx 10.5° Helium Nanocore

Fairway: Cobra RADSPEED 18.5° Motore X

Hybrids: Titleist TSi2 21°, 24° TENSEI AV RAW Blue

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP1 24° Recoil 780

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 AMT Red

Wedges: Vokey SM8 48°, 54° Dynamic Gold; SM7 60° Modus3

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

54 minutes ago, Vater said:

I went from circa 2013 irons to 2017/18 irons this year and I have to admit that the technology improvements were noticeable to me. You can infer that by jumping to a 2017/18 set in 2020 that the improvement in technology from 2017-2020 was not noticeable to me.

I think it's worth changing anytime you have a step function improvement in your game and/or across enough time where technology/materials/design have actually changed enough to make the juice worth the squeeze.

@Vater thanks!  That's hitting home considering the Rocketbladez Tour irons were released in 2012-2013...I have been trying to get a hold of the Ben Hogan Icon demos through their demo program but it appears they're not available which is either a sign it's not meant to be or just another side effect of 2020

I updated my new irons in March, had been playing my same iron set since 1997, some big bertha knock offs (at the time was very hard to find lefty sets). Kept them in great shape and they still look fantastic, they are actually great clubs and i loved them but figured it was time to upgrade to some better clubs

• Like 1

I'm right there with ya man.  I bought my Tour Edge Exotics CB extreme forged irons in 2011 and have been playing them since.  As much as I want to buy a new set, Im extremely focused on getting back to being good again.  I took about 3 years off from 2017-spring 2020 and my game has suffered.  I keep telling myself that my swing and consistency needs improving, not my clubs.  Maybe in 2021, I'll be ready to splurge.

• Like 1

You would need to do a side-by-side with the Rocketbladez Tours to see which one delivered the most.

In the Maltby seven-class MPF system, the BH5 are rated as Super Game Improvement (second friendliest MPF category). The RBZ Tours are rated as Game Improvement. So, will the BH5 irons give your closer "proximity to pin" than the RBZ Tours?

If you are looking to return to scratch golf, I would suggest you get some data and see what you need in your irons. Do you know what spin and ball height window you want to hit? Also, when was the last time you got fitted? Do you have any miss tendencies that might be helped by better fitted irons?

More globally: In your overall swing, what is your biggest problem?

I'm not sure that switching irons to BH5 "because they're a cool" will get you back to scratch. I sense you will need to work on incremental improvement.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

The direct to consumer model has its benefits and issues... not being able to hit the clubs being the biggest problem...

if you can, you might just want to order a single iron built to your specs... especially if you have some use for said iron... 

I needed a 5 iron and pulled the trigger on a sub70... great chance to try and filled a slot in my bag as my golf budget recovers.

i won some Ben hogan woods on here awhile back. They are great looking and build quality was good (I had an issue with the adapter, but it wasn’t major). 

I definitely think you need to try before you buy, but at dtc prices, you can try one.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

12 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

The direct to consumer model has its benefits and issues... not being able to hit the clubs being the biggest problem...

That, and a less than top notch build.  Although I picked my set 2nd hand (gamed 2 rounds and basically 'new'), when I measured the shafts as I was going to pull and sell them, they weren't consistent throughout.  Varied from under 1 1/4" to 1 1/3", I just shook my head at this.  I was going to rebuild anyway, but this was a little annoying.

As mentioned above, get fit now if you feel that you have a confident swing and in a position where you are happy with things, don't wait until after your season is done and you aren't as focused on things and haven't swung a club in a while.  You don't have to buy now, but it's just a better time to at least get fit.

Edited by setter02

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

11 minutes ago, gwelfgulfer said:

That, and a less than top notch build.  Although I picked my set 2nd hand (gamed 2 rounds and basically 'new'), when I measured the shafts as I was going to pull and sell them, they weren't consistent throughout.  Varied from under 1 1/4" to 1 1/3", I just shook my head at this.  I was going to rebuild anyway, but this was a little annoying.

Sadly not an issue just with direct to consumer... I will say my sub70 were built exactly to my specs.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

1 minute ago, Myherobobhope said:

Sadly not an issue just with direct to consumer... I will say my sub70 were built exactly to my specs.

I've yet to have shaft lengths vary that much in an OEM set, I mean, it's just cutting shafts...  Loft/lie is a whole other issue along with just botching up orders.  But when you're a small, boutique company, you have to be right the first time as you have no brand loyalty yet other than a name that isn't really the original.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

The rocketbladez were the set of irons that TM admitted(I believe it was these irons) that there was an issue with high on the face contact.  Coming off with no loss in ball speed, and super low spin.  Resulting in fliers from the fairway.

Proximity to the hole (and playing the correct shot) is all that matters with irons.  Find a set of irons that you hit your spin and launch window the most repeatably with.  Forget distance, distance is for losers that pay you money after the round.  Do you want to hit your 7 iron 195 yards and average 60 feet away from the hole, or would you be happier hitting it 180 and being an average of 40 feet away?

Hitting the irons close is all about repeatability.   Repeatability is what makes you confident, Repeatability is what gets you closer to the hole.  Find the head and shaft combo that gives you the repeatability(launch and spin and dispersion) in a fitting.  Do NOT let a fitter steer you to more distance alone.  I know piles of friends that have been fitted and chose an iron because "I was hitting my 7 iron 200 yards", yet there was a club shaft combo in their testing that went 185 80% of the time with close to the same spin and launch.  The 200 yard 7 iron they hit has 5500 spin and only a 47* launch and they do not hold greens in the morning (dew) from the first cut, and no chance from the rough.  Their handicaps have gone up, because the fitter assumed they wanted distance and not consistency.  Which since they bought the irons, the fitter was correct.  However it was not what was better for their game.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

58 minutes ago, gwelfgulfer said:

I've yet to have shaft lengths vary that much in an OEM set, I mean, it's just cutting shafts...  Loft/lie is a whole other issue along with just botching up orders.  But when you're a small, boutique company, you have to be right the first time as you have no brand loyalty yet other than a name that isn't really the original.

You aren’t wrong on smaller companies needing to get it right!

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

The number 1 answer is? 

when you want to.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

On 9/14/2020 at 9:33 AM, driveandputtmachine said:

The rocketbladez were the set of irons that TM admitted(I believe it was these irons) that there was an issue with high on the face contact.  Coming off with no loss in ball speed, and super low spin.  Resulting in fliers from the fairway.

Proximity to the hole (and playing the correct shot) is all that matters with irons.  Find a set of irons that you hit your spin and launch window the most repeatably with.  Forget distance, distance is for losers that pay you money after the round.  Do you want to hit your 7 iron 195 yards and average 60 feet away from the hole, or would you be happier hitting it 180 and being an average of 40 feet away?

Hitting the irons close is all about repeatability.   Repeatability is what makes you confident, Repeatability is what gets you closer to the hole.  Find the head and shaft combo that gives you the repeatability(launch and spin and dispersion) in a fitting.  Do NOT let a fitter steer you to more distance alone.  I know piles of friends that have been fitted and chose an iron because "I was hitting my 7 iron 200 yards", yet there was a club shaft combo in their testing that went 185 80% of the time with close to the same spin and launch.  The 200 yard 7 iron they hit has 5500 spin and only a 47* launch and they do not hold greens in the morning (dew) from the first cut, and no chance from the rough.  Their handicaps have gone up, because the fitter assumed they wanted distance and not consistency.  Which since they bought the irons, the fitter was correct.  However it was not what was better for their game.

This is interesting...I am one that would HAPPILY pull 6 iron from 150 if I had to knowing if I put a stock swing on it, it goes 150.  That is what led me to the blade (mid-blade) segment of the market which are built for work-ability and consistency (packed in with a little forgiveness).  Thanks for that tid bit about the hot face/fliers from the fairways I have to dig more into that.

On 9/13/2020 at 10:29 PM, ChipNRun said:

You would need to do a side-by-side with the Rocketbladez Tours to see which one delivered the most.

In the Maltby seven-class MPF system, the BH5 are rated as Super Game Improvement (second friendliest MPF category). The RBZ Tours are rated as Game Improvement. So, will the BH5 irons give your closer "proximity to pin" than the RBZ Tours?

If you are looking to return to scratch golf, I would suggest you get some data and see what you need in your irons. Do you know what spin and ball height window you want to hit? Also, when was the last time you got fitted? Do you have any miss tendencies that might be helped by better fitted irons?

More globally: In your overall swing, what is your biggest problem?

I'm not sure that switching irons to BH5 "because they're a cool" will get you back to scratch. I sense you will need to work on incremental improvement.

Sorry for the confusion.  I am looking into the Ben Hogan Icon irons.  Part of the appeal to them was because of my 1st set as a kid which were the BH5 irons (a little nostalgia in a great looking iron).  The BH5 would NOT suit my game in any way shape or for (aside from maybe a 3iron to take off the tee but that's another conversation...).

I have never been fitted, I grew up public track kid, clubs off the shelf, right to the course to learn how to use them.  My overall problem I want to fix with my swing is proximity to the hole and consistency in distances.

There is no doubt I don't play nearly enough but the flashes of brilliance makes me remember I can still do it, it's just a matter of doing it consistently.  

On 9/13/2020 at 8:03 PM, Jhc09 said:

I'm right there with ya man.  I bought my Tour Edge Exotics CB extreme forged irons in 2011 and have been playing them since.  As much as I want to buy a new set, Im extremely focused on getting back to being good again.  I took about 3 years off from 2017-spring 2020 and my game has suffered.  I keep telling myself that my swing and consistency needs improving, not my clubs.  Maybe in 2021, I'll be ready to splurge.

First off...Go 'Cocks!

Sounds like you are in a similar place with your game.  It's almost like a chicken or the egg situation for me.  Do I want to continue as is and just wait for it to click (chicken) or do I take the next step to get a fresh set and build my game up around the newbies (egg)?  What comes first?

Good luck in your quest!

1 minute ago, npintooo12 said:

...I have never been fitted, I grew up public track kid, clubs off the shelf, right to the course to learn how to use them.  My overall problem I want to fix with my swing is proximity to the hole and consistency in distances.

Similar background. I'm an old caddie from 1960s-70s who first played with a true "mixed bag" of golf clubs. True story: My younger brother got it for us when he traded the trash man our last functioning tricycle for a bag of about a dozen clubs, two irons which had hickory shafts! The bag contents covered a 50-year span of golfing gear.

image.png.382c2dce0c7c2e49df47110513e20429.pngAnyway, my first "new" set was 1971-model MacGregor MT "flat sole" forged blades. Played them from 1974 to 1994. Clubs worked pretty well in years I could play six times a month, not so well in lean years. You needed a  well-tuned swing for them to work.

Anyway, in 1994 I got fitted for component clubs (Ping clones) and saw immediate improvement in my iron game. Perimeter weighting and forgiveness helps! A couple of years later I did nostalgia day at the range, and it was no contest. The newer clubs were just a lot easier to hit. Good shots were just as good, but lots more of them with the newer irons.

In your case, try some newer irons and see which ones you like. Then, get fitted. In your case, take the plunge and get irons from factory. Most golf shops will include the fitting in the iron price if you buy new ones. By getting fitted for irons, they will match your strength, body movements, and swing posture. This will eliminate a lot of little swing wobbles you get from off-the-shelf clubs that kinda fit.

You work on your game, so fitted irons should last you 5 years or longer. I doubt you're one of those poseurs who switches iron sets every 6 months.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

2 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

Similar background. I'm an old caddie from 1960s-70s who first played with a true "mixed bag" of golf clubs. True story: My younger brother got it for us when he traded the trash man our last functioning tricycle for a bag of about a dozen clubs, two irons which had hickory shafts! The bag contents covered a 50-year span of golfing gear.

image.png.382c2dce0c7c2e49df47110513e20429.pngAnyway, my first "new" set was 1971-model MacGregor MT "flat sole" forged blades. Played them from 1974 to 1994. Clubs worked pretty well in years I could play six times a month, not so well in lean years. You needed a  well-tuned swing for them to work.

Anyway, in 1994 I got fitted for component clubs (Ping clones) and saw immediate improvement in my iron game. Perimeter weighting and forgiveness helps! A couple of years later I did nostalgia day at the range, and it was no contest. The newer clubs were just a lot easier to hit. Good shots were just as good, but lots more of them with the newer irons.

In your case, try some newer irons and see which ones you like. Then, get fitted. In your case, take the plunge and get irons from factory. Most golf shops will include the fitting in the iron price if you buy new ones. By getting fitted for irons, they will match your strength, body movements, and swing posture. This will eliminate a lot of little swing wobbles you get from off-the-shelf clubs that kinda fit.

You work on your game, so fitted irons should last you 5 years or longer. I doubt you're one of those poseurs who switches iron sets every 6 months.

Thanks for taking the time!  I do work on my game (as much as I can) I'd hope my next set of irons last me 20 years haha (scary to think where the game will be by then...) Christmas IS coming up in a few months...perhaps I found my wish list idea for everyone.

2 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

I think what happens in these discussions is that some will assume what you say above should apply to everyone, across the board.  This is what worked for you.  I'm here to say it didn't work for me.  Neither of us is wrong.

Neither of us is right, also.  ?

Short version of my own journey...  started playing blades (Golden Rams) for the 2001 season.  Largely stayed with blades up through August, 2011, when I got the random idea to switch to Eye2+, and then decided to play them for a full year.

No real improvement In my hdcp over that year.  In late August, 2012, I threw blades in my bag on a lark, shot 78 (7 hdcp), and next round with them, shot a personal best.  Dropped my index to 5 in six weeks.  Spent a year lounging in 5-6 territory, and crawled back to where I am now, 7 to 8.

I've dallied with other sets with cavities of varying size, including a couple months with Ping ISI and TM TP MC's, but none improved my scores or shot results.

Point of all this blather?  Probably "one size does not fit all."  <shrug>

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

My first set of clubs that I bought for myself were BH Apex in the late 80s.  

Changing clubs is fun.  If you aren't going to play much the rest of the year, you may have time to hit a bunch of the latest offerings.  There are so many good irons out there that you're bound to find some that you feel improve your game or at least give you more confidence, although it sounds like you hit it pretty well already.  Enjoy the process.  

Upgrade when you see a benefit in doing so.Last day pre Xmas a few years ago my Hogan Apex Plus were superb.. but after Xmas the swing was off etc..so i sold them and old set mp33.Got some Mint MP63,a wise choice,still got them.This feb found nice set of MP100 and they are great.Thats why we Ho !

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

A buddy of mine picked up the Hogan Icons, I have to say they are sweet, and for the price probably best value in new clubs

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

I changed irons a lot and I have usually been a good iron player.  Currently playing s55’s, came from 716 CB’s, S56s, & J40 CB  Prior to that it was mostly blades going back forever.  All of these CB’s have been very workable and forgiving with predictable carry distances.  When I get another set it will probably also be a set of CBs with a 47 degree PW, cause that is what I am used to.  The change from blades to CBs did help as my skills had eroded.

I change irons when my game has reached another level or I needed more from my irons. Right now I am trending down in score and I have had my current set for 6 years. I am looking to update my AP2s to something similar to the MP15s. I want control but a little bit of forgiveness.

I'll probably switch again when I have kids and likely need to back off my practice and playing and will need something more forgiving as my ball striking may not be quite as well