Justin Thomas Inspired Scotty Coming to Retail

Love the flow neck on my T22. This will be nice with the welded neck. Tempting. 

Titliest Tsr3 9* Hazardous Black 6.5 gen 4

Nike SQ2 19* Hybrid Aldila VS Proto 95s 

Mizzy MP18 SC 4-6 MB 7-PW C-Taper S

Vokey SM9 50/08, 54/10, 58/08  s400

Scotty T22 Fastback 1.5 ,+ ,+ ,+ ,+

39 minutes ago, gentles said:

You would think if they're making 2020 of them they could just mill it with the flow neck on (or use some sort of connector) to avoid the welding marks? I guess some people like the look I always thought it was for one-off models etc. 

People think the novelty of welding is neat and special for some reason. The hand welds are typically pitiful and these will like be machine welded which makes eliminates the novelty. Usual Scotty Cameron stuff. Even if they do end up all being hand welded you can rest assured the welds will be sub par. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DFS PFD said:

People think the novelty of welding is neat and special for some reason. The hand welds are typically pitiful and these will like be machine welded which makes eliminates the novelty. Usual Scotty Cameron stuff. Even if they do end up all being hand welded you can rest assured the welds will be sub par. 

I'm not a machinist but I think I've read a few times on here that anyone who knows what they are doing with a welding torch can do a much cleaner job that you usually see, especially given it's not a joint that goes under a ton of stress...but people actually prefer being able to see the messy welding marks

Apparently this version also has a stainless face versus the aluminum face of the standard retail.  Really hoping I get mine.

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

I’m all for “prototypes” and “limited releases” for cash grabs, but for the $ that this model would cost, I would be seriously disappointed to see an ugly weld-bead staring back at me.  At least machine it out to clean it up a little.  The original pic looks terrible with the “weld”

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G425 Max 5 (16.5) +1/2”

Ping G425 Max 7

Ping G430 #4h

Ping Blueprint-S 5-W

Vokey SM10 50f, 56d, 60d

TM Spider 3x

Would like this so much more if they released it as a retail model, and not a special edition with Justin Thomas branding. Headcovers are usually one of the highlights of a Scotty putter. This one is awful. It literally has his printed name, autograph, AND logo. The only thing missing is a picture of Justin Thomas, just so you are very sure this is a replica of his putter. Just Scotty's way of saying: "sorry we are late to the slant neck party".

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

JT isn't good enough for something like this.

GAMER SETUP:

Callaway AiSmoke TD 8* @ 7* | Tour AD HD 7s 

Callaway AiSmoke TD 3W | Denali Black 6.0 70g

TaylorMade SIM Ti 5W | Tour AD TP 7s

Callaway Apex Black 4-P | Nippon Modus 120 S +1"

Titleist 48* @ 49* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 54* @ 55* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Titleist 58* @ 59* Vokey SM9 | Nippon Modus 120 S +1”

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | 36" - 71* - 3.5*

57 minutes ago, cw1209 said:

Would like this so much more if they released it as a retail model, and not a special edition with Justin Thomas branding. Headcovers are usually one of the highlights of a Scotty putter. This one is awful. It literally has his printed name, autograph, AND logo. The only thing missing is a picture of Justin Thomas, just so you are very sure this is a replica of his putter. Just Scotty's way of saying: "sorry we are late to the slant neck party".

That's actually a really good point.  I'm stoked for the putter, but immediately thought "well - time to start looking for dope mallet head covers cause this one if unplayable."  That said, the T22 head cover was pretty terrible as well - just cheap AF looking.  I don't expect much from Scotty HCs at this point.

• Like 2

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

Huge Titleist and a huge JT fan...my wife even said that I could get one when I subtly started watching the promo video last night. Where do I pay Scotty?

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

8 hours ago, TheMoneyShot said:

The value will plummet...

I disagree completely.  A welded neck Cameron is $3,000 and up, this one being the first exception.  I understand that you can have someone weld a neck for an aftermarket mod, but for the collectors market, this will only increase in value.  

3 hours ago, Florida Gator said:

I disagree completely.  A welded neck Cameron is $3,000 and up, this one being the first exception.  I understand that you can have someone weld a neck for an aftermarket mod, but for the collectors market, this will only increase in value.  

We will see but once JT moves on to something else it will lose its luster.  They should have left those JT stampings off or minimized them.  I would have bought one if it didn’t have his stampings everywhere.  Less is more in this case.

• Like 1

Lol at all the welding comments.  And yes the lol is sarcastic too.  If they made it minus a welded neck , it wouldn’t resemble his.  Yes some welds come out a little flawed.  And some have a stack of dimes around the neck that is a piece of jewelry.  The reasons for that are so many I can’t say for sure ...  But even cleanliness and material is #1 reason.( carbon steel being more forgiving than stainless )   Person doing it is #2.( did he have a bad night last night.  Does he /she have a steady hand today )?   Choice of proper filler material ( rod or wire ) is also not as cut and dry as you’d think with stainless.  

as for these being robot welded ?  I guess maybe if some deal is worked out to make it affordable. But. I highly doubt it. Setting up a fixture to do this would take more time than just having people do it.   It would be much much more efficient to just have 20 or so stations setup with fixtures and have 20 people weld these up all at once.  With an inspection station at the end.  Uniformity of specs is the goal. Not for the welds.  Anyone buying a welded neck putter understands the welds are utilitarian in nature and also  industrial art.   Which some folks don’t like.  Which is why they shouldn’t buy a welded neck putter.  Easy.  

** ( my opinion )***. side note. The whole GSS vs regular 303 being same  falls apart in my eyes because of this same thing.  I’ve welded necks on both. And they aren’t the same material.  I don’t know the answer to what is different. But GSS welds very clean and easy. Normal 303 is really picky on cleanliness and filler material.  I suspect GSS has a slightly higher carbon content or something.  The color is also a shade darker.   

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 3

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I have two Slighter mods - the original X5 welded like JT’s, and this one. 

I think I prefer this one of the two. 

2C0592E3-C0B7-462D-BCBB-26068365ECD2.jpeg.d41f554911404938ed32f04f0dd8ff3a.jpeg3F784C4B-82B8-4308-94A5-DDE8CD540E18.jpeg.1b9c74617fd1757e11f5380c2753ea77.jpeg

• Like 1

G430 LST 9* Ventus TR Black 6S

Darkspeed 15* 1K Pro White 70S

G430 19* LIN-Q TSPX Black 85H F4

Black Ops 22* AV White 85S
ZX5 MkII (5-P) Modus3 105X
MG4 50,54,58 Modus3 125S

Futura 5.5 Weld Neck by Slighter

On 9/8/2020 at 3:32 PM, bosevelt said:

Did it cost $350 or so?  Because the X5 would be $400 retail in today's climate, if it existed, with a brand new milled face utilizing the latest/greatest machines.  So not that far off if so...

Bought a used one on eBay for $185 in 2018 in great shape then bastain did the work for $350. Still has the original milling

On 9/8/2020 at 3:32 PM, bosevelt said:

Did it cost $350 or so?  Because the X5 would be $400 retail in today's climate, if it existed, with a brand new milled face utilizing the latest/greatest machines.  So not that far off if so...

Bought a used one on eBay for $185 in 2018 in great shape then bastain did the work for $350. Still has the original milling

11 hours ago, TheMoneyShot said:

We will see but once JT moves on to something else it will lose its luster.  They should have left those JT stampings off or minimized them.  I would have bought one if it didn’t have his stampings everywhere.  Less is more in this case.

I’m with you on the graphics but from a collector’s perspective it’s a solid face, not an insert.  It’s got a welded neck and it’s not $3k.  If JT moves on, that shouldn’t have any impact on the value.  The IB Rory putter is very similar, too much noise with the graphics and RORS on the face toe but it’s as close to a 009 as you can get for under $3k.  Rory moving on hasn’t had any impact on the value.  Cameron collectors look at these as lower cost alternatives to more expensive tour putters.

Edited by Florida Gator

1 hour ago, Florida Gator said:

I’m with you on the graphics but from a collector’s perspective it’s a solid face, not an insert.  It’s got a welded neck and it’s not $3k.  If JT moves on, that shouldn’t have any impact on the value.  The IB Rory putter is very similar, too much noise with the graphics and RORS on the face toe but it’s as close to a 009 as you can get for under $3k.  Rory moving on hasn’t had any impact on the value.  Cameron collectors look at these as lower cost alternatives to more expensive tour putters.

Much nicer head cover as well.  ?

Scotty Cameron T22 FB