2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

What does it take to break 70?

PixlPutterman

10 minutes ago, bluedot said:

Be boring.  Hit the ball in the fairway off the tee, hit lots of greens in regulation, when you miss a green, miss in the right place, and putt well.  Whether is a good player who breaks par every now and then, or a better player who does it a lot, the formula is pretty much going to be the same; really good ball striking, combined with solid putting.  And solid putting doesn't mean making a ton of long putts; it means hitting some approach shots close and converting the birdie, really good lag putting when you don't hit it close, and rock solid putting in the 4' range when you missed the green.

The best ball striking round by a player I was actually playing with was one of the most "routine" rounds I've ever seen as well.  He hit the side of the fairway that he intended off the tee, he hit the part of the green that he meant to hit on the approach, and his pace putting the ball was perfect all day.  He's a guy that routinely breaks par, fwiw, and has for about 50 years now, but again, the formula is pretty much the same for everybody. 

This. It's a running joke in some of the groups I play with that some players are just boring. Always in the fairway, always hit greens, make most of the putts less that 8-10 feet. Not necessarily a bad thing...?. For me, the difference is typically putting. When I've had my best rounds, I'm not lipping out and barely missing putts. They are dropping. It seems on any given round, I'm leaving 2-3 strokes on the putting greens.

5 minutes ago, gripandrip said:

This. It's a running joke in some of the groups I play with that some players are just boring. Always in the fairway, always hit greens, make most of the putts less that 8-10 feet. Not necessarily a bad thing...?. For me, the difference is typically putting. When I've had my best rounds, I'm not lipping out and barely missing putts. They are dropping. It seems on any given round, I'm leaving 2-3 strokes on the putting greens.

Is it possible that on those best rounds, you're putting from just 2 or 3 feet closer, on average?  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gripandrip said:

That was my second to last round, a 1 over 73. I missed 4 birdies inside 10 feet and lipped out a 6 footer for par.

I need to be a bit more deadly inside 15 feet 

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Assuming you actually have the swing and skill?

same as any sport, you have to Believe you can do it. I’ve not had a ‘bad’ round in ages, but at the same time I know I’m playing with the mentality that I’ll be quite satisfied at a couple over par. Have to be more aggressive 

2 hours ago, PixlPutterman said:

That was my second to last round, a 1 over 73. I missed 4 birdies inside 10 feet and lipped out a 6 footer for par.

I need to be a bit more deadly inside 15 feet 

How many putts did you make from 6 or 8 or 10 feet?  You'll never make all of them, even the best players in the world are 50-50 from 8 feet.  

To break 70 all parts of your game need to be good. @Obee has it spot on, but the only thing I would "modify" would be I don't think it is a must to work it both ways off the tee. I would actually argue if you're looking to get good, find one shot shape with the driver and hit that every time (unless it's a banana slice... don't be happy with that). Rarely will you step up to a hole where a normal drive would get you into trouble. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dmecca2 said:

To break 70 all parts of your game need to be good. @Obee has it spot on, but the only thing I would "modify" would be I don't think it is a must to work it both ways off the tee. I would actually argue if you're looking to get good, find one shot shape with the driver and hit that every time (unless it's a banana slice... don't be happy with that). Rarely will you step up to a hole where a normal drive would get you into trouble. 

Yeah, I debated on amending that part about the driver. You really just need to be comfortable aiming down tree lines and on holes that don't fit your eye if you play a significant draw or fade off the tee. And be comfortable hitting 3-wood or hybrid on certain long holes if a hole REALLY doesn't fit your shot shape.

• Like 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Wonderful advice from both @cardoustie and @Obee in terms of what's required!

It's interesting to try and pick apart what's different between someone who's a +2 versus a -2 versus a -5. I've been very lucky this year in that I've gotten to play with a slew of guys who are everywhere from +2 to -10. In my experience, what someone can do with the ball is mostly a product of age, health and their golf swing so I hesitate to go off talking about learning to hit this shot or that. A lot of times, that 5-handicap could just as easily be a 1- or 2-handicap if they simply eliminated a few misses. I know a friend who can hit the most beautiful high-draw blade 4-iron in the country but he's still a 5-handicap. He could be scratch if he really wanted but his game just isn't tight enough compared to the best players around.

In that respect, @Obee is spot on. Being the best you can be means you have to fix your own problems and learn to play

A couple days ago I played with a guy who's probably a +2 at this moment and he definitely doesn't hit it any further than me and I'm about a 5-handicap right now. My driver SS is around 105 at most, yet this guy just finds the center of the face and has no problem hitting everything from 3w to 5i off the deck with his patented high-fade. He simply has a better swing than me. He's got more control and more efficiency and is way further down the line in terms of controlling his game having been a productive college player. But physically, we're not far from each other which shows that it's really about controlling what you have, not simply adding to it. 

Another thing that's really obvious about this +2 (which even separates him from the guys who are in the -2 range) is that he never talks score. You honestly wouldn't know the difference between this guy strolling down the fairway on a day where he's about to shoot 67 versus a day where he's grinding his way to a 76. For this guy it's going to be a function of how close he gets and how many putts drop. His approach and attitude won't change and so you won't ever really notice what he's doing. Day-to-day, round-to-round, hole-to-hole, shot-to-shot he's exactly the same. He also has a nice personality which I think brings out conversation in others which allows him to not spend those walks down the fairway obsessing about the minutia of his swing, scorecard, etc. 

But honestly, I've said this before...golf is a measure of how much distance you can put between F-ups. If you can hit a great drive one day followed by a great wedge and a putt for birdie, then you can theoretically always do it again. But you won't. You know you won't. As @Obee helped lay out above, our real job is simply to figure out just what it is that gets in our way. We have to be robust. We have to see mistakes before they happen and take effort to avoid them.  

As I said in another thread, there are really only a 3 things in good golf: (1) the preparation of the golf swing itself, (2) the planning of the shot and (3) the execution of the shot. Those are the only things you can control. I think great golf happens when you arrive at a point where you are firing on all cylinders within each one of those. Your swing has to be good, you have to plan ahead to avoid mistakes before they happen and you have to win at the mental game / execution side. None of that is mystical. You just have to keep improving at the little things.  

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 3

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

1. Short game has to be nearly impeccable. You will miss greens, every round. Get up and down every time...including par 5 near hits in 2. Short game keeps the round together.

2. With 7i or less, get aggressive. Fire at pins unless there's clear trouble short sided.

3. Play smart and aggressive off the tee. Hit fairways.

4. Make a couple of 20+ foot putts. Be aggressive with the putter. Make birdies, don't lag for the safe par.

5. Stay loose but stay focused. Don't get a couple under and then get tight. Get a couple under and then think "get 1 more". And keep that mindset. But stay mentally focused. Don't think k that just because you're a couple.under that you don't need to focus as much as normal. Mentally Focused but physically loose.

Edited by getitdaily
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, MelloYello said:

As I said in another thread, there are really only a 3 things in good golf: (1) the preparation of the golf swing itself, (2) the planning of the shot and (3) the execution of the shot. Those are the only things you can control.

nice post, and it sounds like you've found a great playing partner in that +2. 

i would add one thing to your list: what you do post-shot. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hoselpalooza said:

nice post, and it sounds like you've found a great playing partner in that +2. 

i would add one thing to your list: what you do post-shot. 

Yeah, I'm lucky. The club I recently joined plays host to some local college players and there are a slew of ex-college players still here (most from different universities). So there's always a fairly impressive number of scratch-or-better guys. 

And to your point, I agree. The pre- and post-shot routines are improved with those better players. I think most of the +2 crowd that I've seen however simply have much better long games. They're in much better control of the ball. So it makes sense that their post-shot analysis is more valuable and that they can learn more from a small miss. 

I got down to about a 3-handicap this year but I wasn't good enough to improve without a better swing. I could see that. I was course managing like a Pro, but my misses were just too big. I think a lot of Ams are in the same boat. It's hard to admit it but in comparison to me as a mid-single-digit handicapper, that +2 is just in WAY better control of the ball. 

Say what you will but I think an awful lot of this comes down to owning a swing that is fundamentally really solid

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 1

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Yes, the "post shot routine" is important for everyone, but especially so for those who have trouble with temper or negative self-talk. Very important.

• Like 2

On the topic of being deadly with the flat stick, do you always use a line on putts?

I find a that over 8 or so feet I pay too much attention to the line and loose my touch on speed.

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

On 9/10/2020 at 8:10 PM, PixlPutterman said:

On the topic of being deadly with the flat stick, do you always use a line on putts?

I find a that over 8 or so feet I pay too much attention to the line and loose my touch on speed.

I do use it on all of my putts now. On the longer putts, it is more of a guide than anything, while on the shorter (inside 15 to 20 feet?) I am really getting the line "just right." If I see the putt as 1-ball outside-right, I'm lining my ball up "1-ball outside-right."

Edited by Obee

31 minutes ago, PixlPutterman said:

I use a line on all putts as well.  Read putt, line up to read, then line up putter to ball line.  At that point I only worry about speed and rolling the ball line end over end.  I also get both stroke and read feedback on most putts.  It's win-win-win with no downside.

• Like 1

Further thought.. as someone who only does it occasionally, I recommend playing with people who do it regularly. I’m lucky to play with an ex tour pro and some of you might be surprised how he compiles his scores.

1. I have seen him hit virtually every green, and I have seen him hit 10. He does not strike it perfectly every time.

2. He’s not long, but long enough for the course we play

3. It’s not a textbook swing beyond doing certain fundamentals well

4. You’d never know what he scored on the previous hole, great temperament 

5. Goes without saying, different class around the greens. Hits it hard with a lot of check

6. Absolutely cannot miss 5 feet and in. Holes out very firmly, something I’m definitely trying to incorporate..

7. I actually couldn’t tell you what his favourite club is. He’s equally competent with all of them, which tells me he has worked a lot on his weaknesses over the years

8. Draws it off the tee a little but hits most shots with very little shape

just playing with him and another pro, plus some other decent sticks, has done a lot for my game this year. You’re going to find it harder to improve playing a relaxed game with a couple of 80 shooters imo 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, milesgiles said:

7. I actually couldn’t tell you what his favourite club is. He’s equally competent with all of them

You’re going to find it harder to improve playing a relaxed game with a couple of 80 shooters imo 

These two points are so true. In playing with high-level players at my club I find #7 to be especially evident. No matter what club these guys pull out, they simply don't miss big. And if they ever start to stray from the beaten path they find a way to make a par before you have a chance to say "bogey."

Meanwhile, a guy like me would probably almost always settle for that bogey and considered it good for not having been a double bogey. That's as much a measure of physical skill as anything mental. These guys are just in better control of their ball.  

And to that second point, you're 100% spot on.

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 1

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

2 hours ago, MelloYello said:

These two points are so true. In playing with high-level players at my club I find #7 to be especially evident. No matter what club these guys pull out, they simply don't miss big. And if they ever start to stray from the beaten path they find a way to make a par before you have a chance to say "bogey."

Meanwhile, a guy like me would probably almost always settle for that bogey and considered it good for not having been a double bogey. That's as much a measure of physical skill as anything mental. These guys are just in better control of their ball.  

And to that second point, you're 100% spot on.

I don't know think it's necessarily bad to be in love with a club. Im sure if you asked them they'd tell you what club they love. Odds are either a wood or wedge.  I know when I have a certain wedge in my hand for an approach shot I am much more comfortable birdie hunting than if I had another.

What I can't understand with high cappers is why they keep clubs they hate to hit in their bags. You want to go over and solve their problem with that club by going Tin Cup on it.

Just for laughs... this weekend was our club championship. Me and the club champion both had 11 birdies, at one point on the back 9 of the final round I was -4. Problem was on said back 9 I had a triple plus the rest of the rounds I 3 or 4 doubles(54 hole championship)and too many bogies

Edited by SNIPERBBB
  • Like 1

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

3 minutes ago, buzzthecat said:

This is the mindset (revelation) that worked for me.

GIR

Nothing else matters.  Hit more greens and good things will happen.

As for what you need to work on...work on whatever it takes to hit more greens.

There's a lot to be said about that mindset. But...

1. Proximity rules over gir unless you're short siding yourself a lot.

2. Hitting a lot of greens can lead to a false sense of "good". I've played a bunch of rounds where I hit 13-14 greens and shot even, +1, +2...because

3. The more greens you hit, the more pressure you put on your putter. Better make some.putts or those GIRs will lead to frustration because putts aren't falling. 

Solid short game, no 3 putts, few birdies.  I've only broken 70 thrice, but each time had more birdies than bogies.  FWIW, I only play once a week and don't practice at all, it's much more fun playing out of the trunk.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

1 hour ago, SNIPERBBB said:

I don't know think it's necessarily bad to be in love with a club. Im sure if you asked them they'd tell you what club they love. Odds are either a wood or wedge.  I know when I have a certain wedge in my hand for an approach shot I am much more comfortable birdie hunting than if I had another.

What I can't understand with high cappers is why they keep clubs they hate to hit in their bags. You want to go over and solve their problem with that club by going Tin Cup on it.

Just for laughs... this weekend was our club championship. Me and the club champion both had 11 birdies, at one point on the back 9 of the final round I was -4. Problem was on said back 9 I had a triple plus the rest of the rounds I 3 or 4 doubles(54 hole championship)and too many bogies

What you said in that first paragraph is 100% true! 

Going back to what Obee said, you have to learn to play. That means knowing what works. You may be similar but I'm way more comfortable shooting at pins with my 600 than either my 520 or 560. I'm not hesitant to pull anything when it's the right club I just seem to work a bit more magic with the 600. That's all I'm saying.

I'm also a little more comfortable laying up with a 6- or 7-iron than attempting the same thing with a 5-iron. Little idiosyncrasies like that are totally fine. Even good players have them. I remember I used to carry a certain cut-down 5w with which I just never missed. It wasn't the longest but it was a great fairway / rescue club that I could pull out whether I needed something good from ~215 yards. 

To your second point about carrying clubs that aren't reliable, I think it's just a lesson players have to learn on their own. OTOH, sometimes players simply have to buck up and improve their performance with certain clubs, too. 

Edited by MelloYello

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

22 hours ago, getitdaily said:

There's a lot to be said about that mindset. But...

1. Proximity rules over gir unless you're short siding yourself a lot.

2. Hitting a lot of greens can lead to a false sense of "good". I've played a bunch of rounds where I hit 13-14 greens and shot even, +1, +2...because

3. The more greens you hit, the more pressure you put on your putter. Better make some.putts or those GIRs will lead to frustration because putts aren't falling. 

I don't agree with this.  Any halfway decent putter will score much better hitting 13-14 greens than missing greens.  Frustration because birdie putts aren't falling is much better than frustration because you couldn't make 4 -5 footers to get up and down for par after missing greens.  Shooting bogey free rounds is rare, even somewhat rare for touring pros, so breaking 70 on a par 72 for most people is going to require 4-5 birdies minimum.  You are much more likely to break 70 by two putting for par a lot of times vs trying to get up and down for par, and, to make the 4-5 birdies, you need to have lots of chances.  This advice about proximity over GIR to me seems like a recipe to turn a 68 into a 72.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, DShepley said:

I don't agree with this.  Any halfway decent putter will score much better hitting 13-14 greens than missing greens.  Frustration because birdie putts aren't falling is much better than frustration because you couldn't make 4 -5 footers to get up and down for par after missing greens.  Shooting bogey free rounds is rare, even somewhat rare for touring pros, so breaking 70 on a par 72 for most people is going to require 4-5 birdies minimum.  You are much more likely to break 70 by two putting for par a lot of times vs trying to get up and down for par, and, to make the 4-5 birdies, you need to have lots of chances.  This advice about proximity over GIR to me seems like a recipe to turn a 68 into a 72.

i think it really depends on your course. e.g. if you have very large and undulating or multi-tiered greens GIR is definitely not always better than proximity.

I've hit 68 & 69 ten or so times.  The only thing that was happening in those rounds that wasn't in other rounds was my clarity of mind.  I was as relaxed as I could get without falling asleep standing up.  Every hole seemed to fit my eye without concern.  Wasn't talking much to anyone.  Every one of my shot assessments came easy and easy to focus on while my body executed without issue.  I wasn't trying to make shots, no experimenting just executing shots, always in the fairway, and getting up and down when I missed a GIR.  Most important, I was hitting the ball solid and wasn't paying attention to score or counting birdies.  Many times I had no idea my score until walking off 18.  Friends that were with me said I made the game look incredibly easy, and it was on even par or better days.  The other day I was going for my age, missed it by a few and it was pretty easy too.

I especially like what @Obeesays there; saved this for last, but at the near-scratch level, developing and improving the mental game is probably the most important. Learning to control your emotions and your mind on the golf course is absolutely crucial to playing your best golf. There are thousands of golfers out there with the ability to compete at the regional/national amateur level that will never know how good they can be, because they refuse to conquer the inconsistent thinking and lack of a plan that leads to so many of their poor decisions, shots, and scores.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Thanks 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x