Ecco spikeless shoes

Pamlico

I'm a big fan of Ecco shoes (both golf and non-golf). I'm wanting to add one more pair of spikeless golf shoes and saw these Biom Hybrid (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07T2PHNTD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

What's the general consensus... do they look OK or look too "old-manish" for lack of a better way to explain it? I'm 39 for the record ?

I have about 10 pair of Ecco's. I am 56 but gave both my 20 something aged  sons a pair for Christmas and they wear them and love them as their old man does. 

• Thanks 1

Livin' In The Day Of The Eagle

Driver: TM Tour Issue Stealth 9° Ventus Blue 7S

3w Ping G430 SFT Ping Tour 173-75S

4w SimTi  Diamana F75 Limited S

7w Ping G425 SFT Ping Tour 173-75 S

Irons: 2021 TM 790 5-GW PX 5.5

Wedges: Ping Glide 54° 58°

Putter: TM Mini Spyder
Ball: Titleist AVX Yellow

Index: 2.0

they look OK and are comfortable but unless you get the waterproof ones - beware.

I wore my hybrid 2's for the first time on a dry (not rainy) morning; the dampness of the morning dew and the areas where the course had been watered soaked them through.

two coats of Nikwax waterproof leather polish. no improvement.

worthless for on-course use except for the range.

YMMV.

• Thanks 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

I wouldn't say old manish...they're high quality, comfortable shoes.  I'm 39 as well and the only golf shoes I wear are ecco now.  I've been rocking the street retro's for the past couple of years.  But you can't go wrong with the Bioms.

Bag 1                                                                                          Bag 2

Ping G425 Max 9* Ventus Black 7X                                         Taylor Made 300 Mini 13.5* Rogue Silver 70TX

Taylor Made 300 Mini 13.5* Rogue Silver 70TX                      Tour Edge Exotics CBX 20* Aldila Rip Alpha 105X

Titleist TSi3 16.5* Rogue Silver 80TX                                      Ben Hogan Ft Worth Hi 26* Recoil 110X

Titleist TS3 21* Rogue Black 95TX                                          Ben Hogan Ft Worth 32*, 38*, 44*, 50* Recoil 125X

Titleist T200 5 MCI Black 100X                                                Ben Hogan TK-15 58* Recoil Wedge Proto 125X

Titleist T100S 6-AW MCI Black 100X                                       Ping Vault Anser 2

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 56* MCI Mild 125                                        

Fourteen RM-22 60* Black Onyx S400

Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

11 hours ago, dmbrill719 said:

I wouldn't say old manish...they're high quality, comfortable shoes.  I'm 39 as well and the only golf shoes I wear are ecco now.  I've been rocking the street retro's for the past couple of years.  But you can't go wrong with the Bioms.

What is the comfort like in the street retros? They seem to be a bit different from the biom.

@Pamlico - I think they're great, otherwise I wouldn't be wearing them.  I like the lower heel, plus I have a wide foot and need a shoe with a wider toe box.  I picked up my first pair on an awesome deal when Golfsmith was going out of business.  I've liked them so much I've added two more pairs to the rotation.  It's a very stable shoe, no real break in period.  I prefer to walk over ride and have never had an issue walking 18.  The days of walking 36 are in the past for me.

Bag 1                                                                                          Bag 2

Ping G425 Max 9* Ventus Black 7X                                         Taylor Made 300 Mini 13.5* Rogue Silver 70TX

Taylor Made 300 Mini 13.5* Rogue Silver 70TX                      Tour Edge Exotics CBX 20* Aldila Rip Alpha 105X

Titleist TSi3 16.5* Rogue Silver 80TX                                      Ben Hogan Ft Worth Hi 26* Recoil 110X

Titleist TS3 21* Rogue Black 95TX                                          Ben Hogan Ft Worth 32*, 38*, 44*, 50* Recoil 125X

Titleist T200 5 MCI Black 100X                                                Ben Hogan TK-15 58* Recoil Wedge Proto 125X

Titleist T100S 6-AW MCI Black 100X                                       Ping Vault Anser 2

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 56* MCI Mild 125                                        

Fourteen RM-22 60* Black Onyx S400

Cameron Special Select Squareback 2

I recently picked up two pairs of the S-Lites and think they're the most stylish of the Ecco line. They are really low cut though, so be aware of that. I walked 18 in them and by the end my heels were burning a bit going up and down hills. As others said, Ecco is definitely more classic looking but only certain ones stray into the "old man" category for me.  The Softs, Street 10s / Premiers, Bioms are all nice looking. I wish I liked the S-Three more, but I'm not a fan of the gradient midsole. The Cool Pros and Hybrid 3 are a bit clunky IMO.

Edited by Brick Tamland

Titleist TSR3
Titleist TSR2 3 Wood
Titleist TSR2 3-4 Hybrids
PXG Gen3 P, Nippon NS Pro
PXG Sugar Daddy 54/60
Scotty GoLo

On 9/9/2020 at 2:07 PM, Brick Tamland said:

I recently picked up two pairs of the S-Lites and think they're the most stylish of the Ecco line. They are really low cut though, so be aware of that. I walked 18 in them and by the end my heels were burning a bit going up and down hills. As others said, Ecco is definitely more classic looking but only certain ones stray into the "old man" category for me.  The Softs, Street 10s / Premiers, Bioms are all nice looking. I wish I liked the S-Three more, but I'm not a fan of the gradient midsole. The Cool Pros and Hybrid 3 are a bit clunky IMO.

Those s lites are really nice looking. Think they'd be good for walking with an added arch support?

On 9/8/2020 at 5:36 PM, @_the_crook said:

they look OK and are comfortable but unless you get the waterproof ones - beware.

I wore my hybrid 2's for the first time on a dry (not rainy) morning; the dampness of the morning dew and the areas where the course had been watered soaked them through.

two coats of Nikwax waterproof leather polish. no improvement.

worthless for on-course use except for the range.

YMMV.

Water getting in at the seem.  Yak leather and waterproofing the leather won't stop the water getting in.  

I have a pair of the Biom 3,s and have worn them for every a.m. round with dew and they are ?.  ~75 rounds.

There are non GTX shoes that will still do decent in the morning dew, but it has more to do with the seem holding up vs. the quality of the leather!  Best I've used are the boom 3,s.....the tw13's were excellent and the skechers go golf pro v3 were very good.....started to get a little leaking towards end of last year as the seem started to break down.

Rain is a different animal then water in the ground or dew!

16 hours ago, Pamlico said:

Those s lites are really nice looking. Think they'd be good for walking with an added arch support?

I think it might be difficult to fit any kind of insole in there, depending on your foot shape / sizing / how you do the laces. They are very low profile and as I said the heel is cut really low. I didn't have any problem with a lack of cushioning although they are definitely firm relative to say... something from Adidas with boost. They look awesome though, I got lots of compliments on the white ones so I picked up the navy ones as well. Traction is good and they are very light and flexible but supportive.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3
Titleist TSR2 3 Wood
PXG Sugar Daddy 54/60
Scotty GoLo

Quick update @Pamlico... I walked 18 again last night in the S-Lites and would say they could use some additional cushioning. I'm going to look for a slim insole to use. On grass it's no problem but walking on the path I could definitely feel it on the bottom of my feet. 

Titleist TSR3
Titleist TSR2 3 Wood
PXG Sugar Daddy 54/60
Scotty GoLo

If you have high arches and/or plantar fascia problems and/or a foot that's "deep" from top to bottom or if you just need plenty of cushioning and support then any Ecco with the word "Biom" in it is a no-go. But I know people with very different feet than mine who love 'em. Ecco definitely has ranges of golf shoes suited for two very different kinds of feet, make sure you get the one that matches up with your physiology. 

I like the Cage Pro but I like the throwback style Street Premier even better. Good choices for a non-low-profile, non-minimal Ecco golf shoe.

I have several pair of Eccos, and they are comfy, but they water stain badly. I have treated them with the product that Ecco sells, but they still stain. They look like garbage in a short time. Once I wear these out, I won’t get anymore Eccos.

Edited by caniac6

I’ve had every biom from the originals to the 3’s with goretex. All them are great. As others have said the originals can stain, but are still great. This year I am wearing the s-threes’s. Absolutely the best Ecco yet????. ( p.s. I have high arches?)

Titliest Tsr3 9* Hazardous Black 6.5 gen 4

Nike SQ2 19* Hybrid Aldila VS Proto 95s 

Mizzy MP18 SC 4-6 MB 7-PW C-Taper S

Vokey SM9 50/08, 54/10, 58/08  s400

Scotty T22 Fastback 1.5 ,+ ,+ ,+ ,+

1 hour ago, WillyL said:

I’ve had every biom from the originals to the 3’s with goretex. All them are great. As others have said the originals can stain, but are still great. This year I am wearing the s-threes’s. Absolutely the best Ecco yet????. ( p.s. I have high arches?)

How doe you find the S-three’s drop?  I like the Bioms but prefer to look of the S-three. 

drn92

I’m actually loving the drop of the s-three. I seem to be more centered over my feet..... if that makes sense. I also feel more connected to the ground. They are a bit heavier, but like I said, they are my favorite pair of Ecco’s yet. 

I'm 40 (I'm a man - hopefully you get the reference). I only wear Ecco's. Might depend on your style, but generally I wear Peter Millar, FJ, RLX for reference. They're definitely less athletic looking than Nike or Adidas

You cannot beat the comfort of Ecco. I generally have bad feet, but can walk 2 rounds in a day and my feet feel fine. I do have high arches and have some plantar fascia issues and Ecco seems to work for me. Comment previously about this being an issue with the Biom line is not anything I've experienced. Would chalk that up to everyone being different.

I've never had an issue with performance and feel like there is plenty of grip

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/17/2020 at 3:32 PM, North Butte said:

If you have high arches and/or plantar fascia problems and/or a foot that's "deep" from top to bottom or if you just need plenty of cushioning and support then any Ecco with the word "Biom" in it is a no-go. But I know people with very different feet than mine who love 'em. Ecco definitely has ranges of golf shoes suited for two very different kinds of feet, make sure you get the one that matches up with your physiology. 

I like the Cage Pro but I like the throwback style Street Premier even better. Good choices for a non-low-profile, non-minimal Ecco golf shoe.

from everything that ive read the BIOMs are very well cushioned. Some said theyre like walking on clouds .. i was about to get a pair since a lot of walkers liked them. Im like you, slightly higher arch and some plantar fasciitis after walking 18. i need more cushion but also like Ecco's cuz they put you "lower to the ground" - something id like to try.

HAve you walked in BIOMs before ?

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

11 hours ago, bunta said:

from everything that ive read the BIOMs are very well cushioned. Some said theyre like walking on clouds .. i was about to get a pair since a lot of walkers liked them. Im like you, slightly higher arch and some plantar fasciitis after walking 18. i need more cushion but also like Ecco's cuz they put you "lower to the ground" - something id like to try.

HAve you walked in BIOMs before ?

The ones I've tried were always so uncomfortable in the store I didn't even consider buying. Whatever cushioning they have must be in different spots than where my feet need it.

To be fair, my feet just don't work at all with like 99% of the shoes on the market. Street shoes or golf shoes. So my issues aren't at all particular to Bioms, alas. 

• Like 1

I have the hybrid 3. I get lots of compliments. They don't look like old man shoes but it doesn't help that Fred couples is spokesman/model/whatever. IMHO, they look way cooler and trendier than most golf shoes with the exception of nike air or jordan golf shoes. 

The bioms do have amazing cushion. However i have noticed they are heavy. It doesn't seem to bother me and I only notice because my other shoes are so much lighter. Not sure if they publish weight on the website. They are durable but I've heard they stain easily. I wear black footjoys in adverse weather so mine still look great. When you buy them, they have a pamphlet with ecco waterproof spray that they recommend but the shoes are yak leather and waterproof. They protect your foot from water but you have to protect them from water. They also don't look like trash when they get some rounds on them. The leather is super soft and supple so it looks sort of wrinkly but not like creases from being worn out or cheap (if that makes sense).

I've been wearing S-Three's this year and they are the best Ecco's yet. I have a two year old pair of BIOM Hybrid 3, and the S-Three blows it away. I'm glad the S-Three incorporated the original sole design with a more contemporary look. Hope they continue this trend.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

3 hours ago, Konklifer said:

I've been wearing S-Three's this year and they are the best Ecco's yet. I have a two year old pair of BIOM Hybrid 3, and the S-Three blows it away. I'm glad the S-Three incorporated the original sole design with a more contemporary look. Hope they continue this trend.

+1

On 10/19/2020 at 12:12 PM, Konklifer said:

Have you tried this S-Drive? 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT8JoGibYl5_Q6V1vxUw2w

Ping G425 MAX w/Kioshi White 6S
TM Sim Rocket 3W w/AD DI8

Ping G425 Hybrid w/AD DI9
Ping Blueprint 4-9 w/SF110S
TM MG3 50, 56TW, 60TW w/MMT125
Ping PLD3
Pro v1