Wilson Staff Goose Neck Forged FG-53 Irons

16 hours ago, KRW59 said:

I traded some '86 Ping Eye irons and an Anser putter for this set of '88 - '90 Gooseneck irons and '90 Staff woods...

Sat unhit in my closet for 30 years , until this past spring . I find the Goosenecks very forgiving , easy to hit . Especially when compared to my '88 Hogan Redlines and Mizzy TN-87 irons that I played for the decade of the '90's .

20200420_233316.jpg

20200420_232617.jpg

That looks killer!!!  

If one was to search for Wilson Staff woods from the 90s on eBay what would be a tell from them being that era and not 60s, 70s, etc?

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

Those staffs are beautiful and I would love to play them if I had them. However, I wouldn’t worry about matching the woods if it were me; as long as they are persimmon, I’d be happy. Consistency between clubs for me is less important than each club doing what I want to do. I currently have a ’66 Citation deep-faced driver,’62 MT 2 wood, 693 3 wood, and M75 4 wood in my bag. These days I mix and match for each round because I enjoy hitting the different clubs. When I was playing for score, I had the same mixed set for long periods of time. So I think any persimmon will do the trick, either a matched set or an assortment, and it isn’t the craziest idea in the world to get more than you need and rotate clubs through the bag.

On another note, those Goosenecks fascinate me and have for a while. There is set for sale locally at full price and I’ve been contemplating making an offer. If I hadn’t bought 4 sets of irons in the last year, I probably would have tried to get them by now. I think my priority in 2021 will be a set of forged irons with some allowance for forgiveness, and these are high on my list. Keep us posted on how the play as you get in some rounds.

Edited by Stephen8802

7 minutes ago, Stephen8802 said:

Those staffs are beautiful and I would love to play them if I had them. However, I wouldn’t worry about matching the woods if it were me; as long as they are persimmon, I’d be happy. Consistency between clubs for me is less important than each club doing what I want to do. I currently have a ’66 Citation deep-faced driver,’62 MT 2 wood, 693 3 wood, and M75 driver in my bag. These days I mix and match for each round because I enjoy hitting the different clubs. When I was playing for score, I had the same mixed set for long periods of time. So I think any persimmon will do the trick, either a matched set or an assortment, and it isn’t the craziest idea in the world to get more than you need and rotate clubs through the bag.

On another note, those Goosenecks fascinate me and have for a while. There is set for sale locally at full price and I’ve been contemplating making an offer. If I hadn’t bought 4 sets of irons in the last year, I probably would have tried to get them by now. I think my priority in 2021 will be a set of forged irons with some allowance for forgiveness, and these are high on my list. Keep us posted on how the play as you get in some rounds.

Agreed, how the clubs play is the most important thing. It's just my OCD when I'm trying out new sets, that makes me want to match things up. That said, my go-to set is a mixed set MacGregor RT2W driver, Ping Eye 2 3w and 5w, and Wilson Tour Blade 2i-PW. I just like to matchy-matchy when I'm playing for fun or trying out a new acquisition.

This has been a helpful thread for me thanks!

I'm thinking I'm going to keep hitting my Eye 2 woods(i know they aren't persimmon) but I'm still learning on those and can use them with the Eye 2s and now hopefully with the Goose Necks which I haven't actually taken out on the course yet.

I might focus my energy to a new bag for Wilsons.

21 minutes ago, oldpinggolfer said:

This has been a helpful thread for me thanks!

I'm thinking I'm going to keep hitting my Eye 2 woods(i know they aren't persimmon) but I'm still learning on those and can use them with the Eye 2s and now hopefully with the Goose Necks which I haven't actually taken out on the course yet.

I might focus my energy to a new bag for Wilsons.

I know its been brought up in other threads, and there is a link to it if you Google hard enough, but there was a study done back around the 70's, that had multiple pros test out persimmons and laminates. All the clubs were made to the same specs, and painted solid black (so you couldn't distinguish by sight), and even the pros couldn't tell the difference between solid perismmon and laminates. In playability terms, the overall club specs (length, flex, weight, balance) with regards to your swing, are the important things......Now when it comes to beauty, persimmons are have it, hands down (though blonde Ping Eye 2's and Ping Zing's are some pretty clubs).

10 hours ago, oldpinggolfer said:

That looks killer!!!  

If one was to search for Wilson Staff woods from the 90s on eBay what would be a tell from them being that era and not 60s, 70s, etc?

All you have to do is ask....there is a wealth of knowledge on this site....

That's what I did...Site members LeftyMac and elwhippy , were able to tell me the year made  (1990) and the name of the designer ( Harry Busson )

Edited by KRW59
  • Thanks 1

Oldpinggolfer,

The Wilson Catalog book by Jim Kaplan is your friend.  There are still copies to be had on Ebay very cheaply.  The ones that come with the Hagen book would be by recommendation, that's Jim's son selling them.  Love the iron's, those are my next set to add to the Wilson Staff collection.

• Like 1

I recently got an FG-53 1 iron just to hit at the range and get a feel of a more classic Wilson.  What a great club!  I'd imagine your whole set would be awesome.  With its size it's not too difficult to hit nor intimidating (below).  Can anyone confirm the lofts?  I'm guessing the same as these I found for FG-51?:  1=17*, 2=20*, 3=23*, 4=26*, 5=30*, 6=34*, 7=38*, 8=42*, 9=46*, PW=49*

20200911_225815.jpg.39cda6aab1e6fb8bbb009661dd0a22cc.jpg

• Like 2

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

On 9/13/2020 at 5:53 PM, Stephen8802 said:

You inspired me, so I picked up this Wilson Goose-Neck at a Goodwill today. I'm looking forward to bringing it to the range and seeing how it plays. Mine looks a little different, I guess the design changed over 40 years.

Gooseneck 9 small.jpeg

Wow that one has to be from the 50s?

I brought them all out to my local par 3 yesterday.

Wow are they different from my ping eye 2s!  Basically the only club I’ve ever played.  I’m going to stick with them tho.  I found myself overshooting and then in correction of that topping the ball out of fear of over shooting.

Probably should have headed to the range.

B4B5C231-62A8-4FF3-9CFF-38D1E4CFDBC0.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/10/2020 at 3:49 AM, LeftyMac said:

Oldpinggolfer,

The Wilson Catalog book by Jim Kaplan is your friend.  There are still copies to be had on Ebay very cheaply.  The ones that come with the Hagen book would be by recommendation, that's Jim's son selling them.  Love the iron's, those are my next set to add to the Wilson Staff collection.

Thank you for the recommendation!

My mornings haven’t been the same since!

CB509385-F89A-4CE7-8E56-40BDB2AF69AE.jpeg

• Like 1

On 9/13/2020 at 3:57 PM, joostin said:

I recently got an FG-53 1 iron just to hit at the range and get a feel of a more classic Wilson.  What a great club!  I'd imagine your whole set would be awesome.  With its size it's not too difficult to hit nor intimidating (below).  Can anyone confirm the lofts?  I'm guessing the same as these I found for FG-51?:  1=17*, 2=20*, 3=23*, 4=26*, 5=30*, 6=34*, 7=38*, 8=42*, 9=46*, PW=49*

20200911_225815.jpg.39cda6aab1e6fb8bbb009661dd0a22cc.jpg

If you bent these to the lofts you have mentioned, excepting with a 50* PW, I think you'd be in the right zone for them.  The Progressives that came next in the Wilson product line were 1* stronger, 19* 2 iron, 29* 5i, 49* PW.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

OK, I'm in, one more for the club. After reading this a couple of times I opened up a conversion with the local guy trying to sell a set. He had posted them well over my remaining 2020 budget, but they have been listed for a few months now and he was more than ready to deal. He went right to my price sweet spot and I grabbed them yesterday. More bag chatter and not as pretty as yours, but the faces are in great shape and all the grooves are pristine. I'll give them a polish, some paint fill, blow on some new grips, and they go in the bag for the next round. 

1014062596_setsmall.jpeg.ee77b926fc0a04c6af7cba1076cc3662.jpeg

A couple of surprises for me with the initial swings in the yard. The heads are bigger than I expected, but not so big that they don't look like golf clubs. The offset is less than I thought, which is good, it seems just about right. I'm really looking forward to hitting some balls with these.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Stephen8802 said:

OK, I'm in, one more for the club. After reading this a couple of times I opened up a conversion with the local guy trying to sell a set. He had posted them well over my remaining 2020 budget, but they have been listed for a few months now and he was more than ready to deal. He went right to my price sweet spot and I grabbed them yesterday. More bag chatter and not as pretty as yours, but the faces are in great shape and all the grooves are pristine. I'll give them a polish, some paint fill, blow on some new grips, and they go in the bag for the next round. 

1014062596_setsmall.jpeg.ee77b926fc0a04c6af7cba1076cc3662.jpeg

A couple of surprises for me with the initial swings in the yard. The heads are bigger than I expected, but not so big that they don't look like golf clubs. The offset is less than I thought, which is good, it seems just about right. I'm really looking forward to hitting some balls with these.

Congrats!   
Yes the heads are bigger than I thought too.  Welcome to the club mine aren’t as pretty as the pictures make them out to be.  Can’t wait to hear about your first round with them!

I’ve had three experiences with them so far.

1.  Round at local par 3.   My worst round since I started.   Tee shots were mostly duffs and chips around the green were all over powered.

2.  At local chipping/putting area where I really discovered these are nothing like my Ping Eye 2s.

3.  Back at the par 3 with my golf buddy.   First shot off the tee on the green!  I continued to perform well off the tees the entire round and my chipping around the greens was decent enough to be setup for a par more often than not.  My putting was a disaster.   

I’m impressed!  Thinking about dipping further into the Wilson history and blades with some FG-17s.

When I started golfing this summer with my dad’s old Eye 2s and my neighbors basically just to get out of the house I never thought it would develop to forum visit and especially purchasing more clubs.   I think I’m hooked!

• Like 1

Great write up. I have to ask--and forgive me for a really simple question-- but although I've seen Wilson goosenecks come up for sale here,I've never seen any detailed photos. To me, "goose neck" suggests loads of offset, but the few pictures I've seen don't back that up. I've not seen a photo at address, but other pictures show pretty normal looking irons. What exactly is the "goose neck"? Is it something other than a bent, offset necK? Am I completely missing something here?

I had the same reaction when I picked up my set. I had only seen pictures of them and was expecting significant offset due to the name. There isn't a lot, just a little bit, and I'm not sure I would have even thought of it as offset if it weren't for the name. My 1950 Wilson Top Notch Goose-neck has noticeable off set, it really does look like a Goose-neck, so I thought they would have some of that.

I think their marketing team at the time was trying to link a very nontraditional club to continuity with the Staff brand by using a name from the past and picked Goose-neck because it is just a cool name and logo. Even in the age of irons that don't look anything like a golf clubs to me, these clubs look weird, so I can completely understand why using a name from Wilson history makes sense. Its hard to remember now, but back in the 80's, at least in my neck of the woods, Wilson Staff was synonymous with tour-level excellence, so these would have been a complete shock when they were rolled out. They are nice sticks even if they do look strange.

Edited by Stephen8802

Maybe I'm going backwards or insane but the Goose Necks were a short love.  I've listed them for sale and I'm really enjoying more traditional styled Wilson blades.

Here's the best part of being a lousy golfer.  I hear blades are the most difficult to hit, infact the two sets I've bought locally the sellers told me "I'm not pro I can't play blades."   I can't tell a difference in my lousy game.

On 9/29/2020 at 3:02 PM, oldpinggolfer said:

I hear blades are the most difficult to hit, infact the two sets I've bought locally the sellers told me "I'm not pro I can't play blades."

You'd better get used to that comment.  You'll hear it a lot on this site too, although not so much here in the Classic section where folks are more sensible.  😉

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2020 at 7:03 AM, coldwareragolfer said:

Congrats!   
Yes the heads are bigger than I thought too.  Welcome to the club mine aren’t as pretty as the pictures make them out to be.  Can’t wait to hear about your first round with them!

I’ve had three experiences with them so far.

1.  Round at local par 3.   My worst round since I started.   Tee shots were mostly duffs and chips around the green were all over powered.

2.  At local chipping/putting area where I really discovered these are nothing like my Ping Eye 2s.

3.  Back at the par 3 with my golf buddy.   First shot off the tee on the green!  I continued to perform well off the tees the entire round and my chipping around the greens was decent enough to be setup for a par more often than not.  My putting was a disaster.   

I’m impressed!  Thinking about dipping further into the Wilson history and blades with some FG-17s.

When I started golfing this summer with my dad’s old Eye 2s and my neighbors basically just to get out of the house I never thought it would develop to forum visit and especially purchasing more clubs.   I think I’m hooked!

17s are my all time favorite irons. Just got a spare set!! The 53s look good!