Changing equipment specs to facilitate swing changes

I've been working with a coach on a more upright posture - I tend to get too far bent over which creates problems in the backswing (not enough depth). 

I have shorter arms, and am wondering if extending irons might be able to make it slightly easier for me to get into a good posture at address, especially if combined with slightly more upright lofts to encourage higher hands and more upright posture? 

Just wondering if there is anything I can do from a gear perspective to make this transition a little easier. 

Has anyone gone down this path, or other examples of making equipment changes to facilitate or encourage changes in swing mechanics? 

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, i think there is some creedence in longer length; especially to improve posture.  Try an iron with an extention to determine what length is comfortable and go from there; your coach could probably help w/selecting the proper length to attain the posture you are looking for. From there you would adjust lie as required. Take a look at Ping's WEBFIT to get a place to start. Ping uses height and wrist to floor measurements to get you in the ballpark.  Ping Webfit

Ping G400 w/Ping CB Alta R
Cal XR16 4W w/Speeder Evo 565 R
Bridgestone J40 DPC 5-P, TT Elevate Tour 
Vokey 50 F Grind w/ Elevate Tour
Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54* w/ZZ115 Wedge
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth SS 58* w/AWT Wedge
Ping Anser Milled #5 

1.  Absolutely check your fit for length and loft.

2.  I bought into the "flatter is better" I used to read about a lot on here and elsewhere years ago (i.e., Bradley Hughes, for example) and started getting my irons slightly flatter and my wedges definitely flatter.  Not saying as a general proposition that is necessarily true because I just don't know, but I do know it works for me, so tinker away!

Edited by Hawkeye77