Ben Hogan PTx Pro Irons???

The new Ben Hogan irons have been catching my eye lately. My dad has played BH Apex plus irons for the last 20 years and loves them. I'm currently gaming the original AP2's from 2008 and love them, but the price point for a brand new set of the Hogan's has caught my eye. Anyone out there game these or have some experience with them? Any thoughts or opinions are welcomed!

Titleist 917 D2 PX Evenflow Blue 

Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 3-wood

Ping Anser 4 hybrid

OG AP2's PX 5.5

SM5 52 08 F

SM7 56 08 M

SM7 60 08 M

Scotty Cameron Phantom X5

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here are some picture. I feel like they don’t do the set justice, but maybe they’ll help some people on the fence one way or the other. 

While I haven't gamed them yet, I did pick up the split set with the UiHi 4i, PTx Pro 5-7 and Icon 8-PW and have to say they look great (save for the uihi and my personal preference).  Just waiting on

I have a full set of Icons, but demoed the PTx as well.  I like the PTx Pro in the long irons but really love the way the 6i-P look in the Icon.  If BH allowed you to customize a set where you could g

Posted Images

While I haven't gamed them yet, I did pick up the split set with the UiHi 4i, PTx Pro 5-7 and Icon 8-PW and have to say they look great (save for the uihi and my personal preference).  Just waiting on a reshaft as I'm not a KBS fan at all and look forward to getting these out.  Price point is very good for the US market, IF you like one of the 3 shafts they offer.  For the Canadian market, no demos and they didn't seem interested in taking my money for heads only so I could build up, so got a set for much cheaper on the bay...

• Like 1

SM 3.5 Bag:

TM Sim 10.5* w/ Ventus Black 6x Velocore

TM Sim 14* w/ Kai'Li 80X

Titleist TS3 19* w/ T1100 S

Ping I210 4-UW w/ Rifle 6.5 SSx1

Ping Glide 2.0 54 SS & 58 TS

Odyssey Tank Cruiser 

I have a full set of Icons, but demoed the PTx as well.  I like the PTx Pro in the long irons but really love the way the 6i-P look in the Icon.  If BH allowed you to customize a set where you could get single irons, I think the PTx Pro are PERFECT for the longer irons.  They are forgiving and feel nice.  Face seemed hot and the offset isnt all that terrible.  I am a fan of the DG S300 so thats what I went with and I am very satisfied.  I did order a UiHi for a 4i replacement as the Icon 4i is taking some getting used to, but I think if you are playing the OG AP2, the PTx Pro would be an easy transition.  The V sole is great and like you said, the price can't be beat IMO.  I am contemplating selling my 745s to pick up a full set of PTx Pros at the moment.... Wait time from date of order is about a month right now.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 9* PX HZRDUS Yellow 63 6.0

Titleist 917f2 16.5* Aldila Rogue silver 70s

Titleist 915h 21* Aldila Rogue black 85s

Srixon Z745 4-P Modus 105s

Titleist Vokey SM6 52/12, 58/12 TI S400

Ping Anser Milled 2

I got the PTx Pros last May. I was one of the original testers here on Wrx, and I still have them in my bag. I’m not planning on replacing them anytime soon.  

I originally put my old DGTI s400 shafts in them and recently swapped them out for some Modus 125s. 

Longer irons are very forgiving, and I have no issues hitting the ball lower if I need to. I mainly use the 5-P, but do toss in the 4 iron on occasion. Right now it’s got a Fujikura Pro 115 graphite iron in it and I’m liking it a lot. I don’t know if it’ll replace my Adams 23* hybrid. That club has been in my bag for years. 

• Like 1

WITB
Driver: 10.5* SIM set 1 click lower with Diamana D+ x5ct 70s or Diamana S Limited 60s

FW Woods:  Tour Edge 18* with Nunchuk @ 42" (Swap out with the 15* Adams XTD Super Hybrid)  

Hybrids: 15* Adams XTD Super Hybrid Fubuki Hybrid shaft, 19* Adams XTD Super Hybrid UTS Proforce VTS 100s, 23* Adams Super 9031 dgs300
Irons: 5-PW Ben Hoga PTx Pro Modus 125s
Wedges: 48* bent to 49* Vokey SM6 F Grind, RTX 4 52* bent to 53* Mid, Zipcore 56* Raw bent to 58*. All wedges have DGTI S400
Putter: Toulon Las Vegas or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can Finish

Thanks for the insight everyone. Great to hear that they perform well as I love the looks and have some connection as my Dad has gamed Hogans as long as I've been alive. Might have to make some changes to the bag this winter!

Titleist 917 D2 PX Evenflow Blue 

Taylormade RBZ Stage 2 3-wood

Ping Anser 4 hybrid

OG AP2's PX 5.5

SM5 52 08 F

SM7 56 08 M

SM7 60 08 M

Scotty Cameron Phantom X5

I have the PTX Pro irons( very pretty) they are nice  but still prefer my Callaway x forged

I hit the Hogans higher than I like.

Probably need to reshaft the Hogans to nippon modus 105s

Edited by miamistomp
  • Like 1

I’m looking forward to my set thru Club Champion.  Went with PTx Pro Black 5-PW, Nippon Modus 120 S, +.5”.  The Black heads hide the offset in the long irons a little better.  These were consistent performers over 3 separate “sessions”

at Club Champion.  I was leaning towards PXG 0311P Gen 3, but found the PTx Pro’s more consistent and better performing and feeling on my misses (heel side).  Got another 3 weeks before they get here.

Titleist TS2 9.5* w/Tensei Blue S

Titleist TS2 FW 15* w/Tensei Blue S
Titleist 818H1 20* & H2 23* w/Tensei Blue S
Adams MB2 5-PW w/KB Tour V 125 S+ +1"

TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 50*, 56* & 60*
Ping Sigma 2 Valor 34"

1 hour ago, bjp1 said:

I’m looking forward to my set thru Club Champion.  Went with PTx Pro Black 5-PW, Nippon Modus 120 S, +.5”.  The Black heads hide the offset in the long irons a little better.  These were consistent performers over 3 separate “sessions”

at Club Champion.  I was leaning towards PXG 0311P Gen 3, but found the PTx Pro’s more consistent and better performing and feeling on my misses (heel side).  Got another 3 weeks before they get here.

How did the pricing through Club Champion work out? Basically pay the same price as on Hogan's website, plus the MSRP of the shafts, plus build cost?  I'm assuming it would basically be the same as with other brands, but wasn't positive given that it's basically one of very few places to be able to hit their clubs before purchase. 

Edited by rtraudt

PING G410 Plus 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6
Callaway Epic Flash 15* Atmos Red Tour Spec 7
TEE CBX 18* and CB Pro U 21* Matrix Altus 
Bridgestone J40 CB or Adams MB2 Raw 4-P PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612 or Odyssey Double Wide Flow
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 10:54 PM, rtraudt said:

How did the pricing through Club Champion work out? Basically pay the same price as on Hogan's website, plus the MSRP of the shafts, plus build cost?  I'm assuming it would basically be the same as with other brands, but wasn't positive given that it's basically one of very few places to be able to hit their clubs before purchase. 

rtraudt - You've described the pricing structure accurately.  There's room to negotiate some of that price down, at least I asked for and received it.  Mine build is supposed to be ready for pickup on Thursday, so I hope to put them in play this weekend.

Titleist TS2 9.5* w/Tensei Blue S

Titleist TS2 FW 15* w/Tensei Blue S
Titleist 818H1 20* & H2 23* w/Tensei Blue S
Adams MB2 5-PW w/KB Tour V 125 S+ +1"

TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 50*, 56* & 60*
Ping Sigma 2 Valor 34"

I just received my combo set last night and from a pure looks perspective, the set is great. I was pleasantly surprised at the look of the Ptx pros. I was a little worried the head size and top line would be larger than my current gamers (JPX 800 Pro) but the Ptx Pros look much more compact. They blend really nicely into the Icons. Purely aesthetic analysis at this point but hope to get out later this week to knock them around.

Edited by beazlejs
30 minutes ago, beazlejs said:

I just received my combo set last night and from a pure looks perspective, the set is great. I was pleasantly surprised at the look of the Ptx pros. I was a little worried the head size and top line would be larger than my current gamers (JPX 800 Pro) but the Ptx Pros look much more compact. They blend really nicely into the Icons. Purely aesthetic analysis at this point but hope to get out later this week to knock them around.

Can you send come pics of the combo set?

Have the combo set and I think it’s the way to go. I have had their regular ptx pros too but in the 8 iron down I do not think you lose much in distance or forgiveness going with the icons and gain in my opinion the ability to really go at flags. 

I have shot my best rounds with this combo set and just added their new hybrid to the bag although I did have that reshafted. I am big Hogan fan so a little biased but I think they are very good clubs at a very good price point. 

Side note I had them made to standard titleist lengths as the hogan standard has slightly longer 4 and 5 irons. 

I love the Satin finish... I do love my black Icons, but part of me does still wonder if the combo may have been the way to go.  Let us know how they play for you!

Ping G400 Max 9* PX HZRDUS Yellow 63 6.0

Titleist 917f2 16.5* Aldila Rogue silver 70s

Titleist 915h 21* Aldila Rogue black 85s

Srixon Z745 4-P Modus 105s

Titleist Vokey SM6 52/12, 58/12 TI S400

Ping Anser Milled 2

On 10/8/2020 at 3:30 AM, beazlejs said:

Here are some picture. I feel like they don’t do the set justice, but maybe they’ll help some people on the fence one way or the other. 

OMG, they DO look nice. Transition from 7 to 8 is also very nice. I wish either DG or KBS Tour V would fit me =/ Might have to order a demo to give Tour V another try

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 @ 8.75

Taylormade RocketBallz Tour 3 Hybrid 18.5

Nike Victory Red Hybrid 3 21.0

Mizuno MP 52 4-PW

Mizuno MP T-11 52/07

Wilson Staff PMP Wedge 56/14

Mizuno MP T-11 60/05

Mizuno/Bettinardi  BC1