Help finding club and practice facility near Five Points

hoselpalooza

i'm brand new to the denver area and have not spent any time in the city since arriving.

there's a 95% chance i'll begin working and living near five points relatively soon. after it becomes official? i'm looking to join a club (within 20-30 mins tops) and an indoor practice facility during the colder months. 

after some initial digging, it looks like common ground's annual pass could satisfy the club option. and optimum golf's indoor facilities seem like a decent place to go on weeknights when the sun starts setting earlier. 

do any of you have some feedback about these places or could you suggest better alternatives in the area? please let me know if you have any questions.

thanks!

Welcome to Denver!

For the winter, you may want to look into South Broadway Country Club (indoor facility with Trackman equipment). Commonground would be a great choice, but also thinking about looking northwest like West Woods, Walnut Creek, Hyland Hills, and Legacy Ridge.

• Thanks 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Just now, pseudoswede said:

Welcome to Denver!

For the winter, you may want to look into South Broadway Country Club (indoor facility with Trackman equipment). Commonground would be a great choice, but also thinking about looking northwest like West Woods, Walnut Creek, Hyland Hills, and Legacy Ridge.

thanks for the warm welcome and the recommendations! 

south broadway looks very nice but at $40/hr with no membership options (at least none on the website) it looks like it could get pricey very quick. denver golf performance seems like the most reasonable alternative i've seen so far with packages for 10 hrs at $180. honestly, i'm debating whether i would be better served getting a mevo or mevo+ and just finding a range that's open after work but that's probably best saved for another discussion. ?

West Woods, Walnut Creek, Hyland Hills, and Legacy Ridge.

i didn't realize these were all under 30 minutes drive from five points, thanks for the suggestions!

if it's not too much to ask, how would you (or anyone else reading this) rate these courses in terms of:

* quality, especially greens

* pace of play

* practice facilities (i'm a bit of a range rat)

* walkability

* and last but certainly not least, level of golf/access to competitive games/etc.

i'm sort of familiar with west woods as i've played silo a couple of times and have been to the practice area more than a few times. i've been told walnut creek is a great course and a very good test of skill, but that's about all i know. 

in any event, i hope everything works out so i can start enjoying what denver golf has to offer soon. we got about 6" of snow over the past couple of days, and though it should all be gone tomorrow it's a nice reminder that the long days and warm weather are fleeting.

cheers!

Common ground fits your description pretty good although it's not a private club to join and I personally would say their greens are under the level they should be. One of the best walkable courses, good layout, fine range, and a lot of good players at the course. I know their men's club is good and they also have a really good scratch game.

• Thanks 1

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

28 minutes ago, TheKrushh said:

Common ground fits your description pretty good although it's not a private club to join and I personally would say their greens are under the level they should be. One of the best walkable courses, good layout, fine range, and a lot of good players at the course. I know their men's club is good and they also have a really good scratch game.

thanks, this is the kind of feedback i was looking for. a bit disappointing about the greens, but i guess that's to be expected with most non-private courses. what do you think about CG's pace of play?

another course i've thought about is colorado national but i've heard the pace of play is terrible. 

Pace of play on a weekend in Denver is going to be slow. I would allocate 5 hours to any of those courses and be pleasantly surprised if you finish in less than that.

All courses I mentioned are walkable, but Walnut Creek is probably the toughest (don't do it on a 100-degree day with bad air quality due to forest fires like I did), and West Wood's Silo 9 being a close second.

I rarely have time to warm up, so I can't comment on practice facilities. I will say Walnut Creek's practice area is really far away from the 1st tee.

I believe there is someone on here that is/was a men's club member at CommonGround. If you need a little more variety, Golf Week Am Tour, whatever the Golf Channel Am Tour is called now, and Front Range Golf Club (which is a local traveling golf league) all have tournaments from April to October.

• Thanks 1

so in case anyone else is keen to know about these courses i'm going to post what i find here.

walnut creek and legacy ridge share the same annual pass. it's $2,400 for 7-days of all-you-can-eat golf at both places, which seems nice for variety. it does not include cart ($10/pop) or range balls. the range is open till 7pm at WC most days and 6pm at LR most days. but info about the practice facilities is scant. i'm not sure how i feel about no cart. i prefer to walk but if i can start work early in the morning i may have a couple hours of daylight to play during the winter at least a couple of days during the week. having a cart might mean more holes. i don't know anything about pace at these courses or greens. will have to call up the pro shops.

west woods annual pass is $3,500 for all-you-can-eat and it includes balls and cart. 27 holes provides some variety. one of the starters told me there are some good sticks that play there. i would like a longer range but if nobody's on the north end it's OK. practice facilities have some room for improvement. i've only played 9 twice and pace was very acceptable the first time. not sure if that's par for the course though (heh). 

hyland hills has a player pass for $675 that's good for 24 rounds on the gold course and 2 cart rentals. there's a lit range that's open till 7pm. not sure about length -- the last target green is 265y and i'm not sure what comes after. looks like there are a bunch of sand traps/bunkers to practice out of. otherwise very little info about putting and chipping/pitching other than there's an 18,000 sq ft practice green near the golf shop.

commonground's annual pass is $2,600 for the first year and $2,150 each subsequent year. unlimited range balls are included and there's an option to add on unlimited cart usage for $600. if i only use a cart 2x/week it ends up costing $12.50/per which is $2.50 more each use than WC/LR carts or $240 more per year. but if i only use the cart for 9 holes it's $9 or $15 for however many holes i can play during twilight hours. i guess if i can wrap up work by 1pm or 2pm a few times a week a cart could become more valuable during the winter. or if i want to get in 36 holes on a saturday or sunday. hmm... ?

^ edit to add: it looks like they play US open qualifiers here. it's nice to dream sometimes ?

as for indoor practice facilities...

optimum golf has a couple of interesting options. for $299/mo here's what they offer: 

>24 Hour access to our facility once approved for overnight access.
>Unlimited use of practice putting and chipping green at Optimum Golf Studio
>Unlimited use of simulator bays at Optimum Golf Studio

>Complimentary Club Labor

>One 60-minute Individual Lesson per month

>Storage and sharing of ball striking data 

i really like the idea of hitting balls indoors before work or in the evening, especially when it's cold outside. i don't care so much about playing on simulators, it's mostly getting dialed in that appeals to me. e.g. i need to dial in distances for different clubs and shots and launch monitor data makes that easier. and using my balls instead of range balls to get these data is important to me. i also have a bunch of club work that needs to be done (e.g. seriously more than $300 in labor alone) so at least for a couple of months free club labor is a bonus. i don't think this would be an annual thing for me though. in addition to an annual pass somewhere, $299/mo for a year adds up. and at some point i'd like to get a mevo+ which would pay for itself in less than a year if i set up my own hitting bay (not sure if this will be an option for a bit though).

here's what they offer for $79/mo:

>Unlimited use of practice putting and chipping green at Optimum Golf Studio
>240 minutes of simulator bay use per monthly fee

>$20 per hour rate for additional simulator time

>50% discount off Club Repair and Labor

>25% Individual Lessons 

>Storage and Sharing of Ball Striking Statistics 

this could be a viable option if i'm able to get to the course more during weekdays during the winter. 

but if i plan to use someone else's launch monitor for between 5-10 hours/month denver golf might have a better option for 10 hours at $185. the facilities look nice and include a gym area, but i'm not sure if it's open to trackman-only customers. it would be really nice to do my 20-minute pre-golf warmup in an actual gym area though. heck, since i don't belong to a gym it would be nice if they had comparable gym membership options because that would kill two birds with one stone! 

anyway, i know this is a wall of text! i just figured my notes might be useful for someone else so better to share than leave in some obscure folder on my laptop.

if you have additional feedback about any of these places, or other places i should check out, please let me know -- thanks!

Edited by hoselpalooza
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, pseudoswede said:

If you need a little more variety, Golf Week Am Tour, whatever the Golf Channel Am Tour is called now, and Front Range Golf Club (which is a local traveling golf league) all have tournaments from April to October.

these look like a lot of fun, thanks for putting this out there. i hadn't thought of joining a traveling league. could be a better test of skill than doing an annual pass. or perhaps a good way to supplement regular play at one course. really going to have to think about this!

1 hour ago, hoselpalooza said:

so in case anyone else is keen to know about these courses i'm going to post what i find here.

anyway, i know this is a wall of text! i just figured my notes might be useful for someone else so better to share than leave in some obscure folder on my laptop.

if you have additional feedback about any of these places, or other places i should check out, please let me know -- thanks!

Fantastic write-up. I live on the south side of town, and I'm jealous at all of the nice golf courses within a short drive of a suburb like Westminster. I get annoyed when I have to drive north of DTC. haha

I'm a member of Front Range, and Noodler on here plays on both Front Range and Golf Week. Feel free to hit us up with questions. And also hop on the Colorado WRX 2020 thread .

• Like 1

Commonground pace of play is typically as good you'll find in Denver short of joining and actual private club. I would guess that you end up with more rounds at 4:15 or less than you would at most other courses. Pace of play is typically pretty bad in the Denver metro.

If you're fine paying more money and on the younger side you should look into bear creek.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TheKrushh said:

Commonground pace of play is typically as good you'll find in Denver short of joining and actual private club. I would guess that you end up with more rounds at 4:15 or less than you would at most other courses. Pace of play is typically pretty bad in the Denver metro.

If you're fine paying more money and on the younger side you should look into bear creek.

bear creek's website leaves a lot to the imagination so i had to search elsewhere to get a sense of the course and club. this is a pretty good write-up from colorado avid golfer. in short, it sounds like an amazing course with a membership of serious golfers. after reading that article i think bear creek ticks most of the boxes that are important to me in a club.

there's only real downside i can think of, at least at this point in my life: as a single guy who's new to the area one of my priorities is to meet and play with competitive women. that could be difficult to do at bear creek... ? 

Edited by hoselpalooza
words
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pseudoswede said:

Fantastic write-up. I live on the south side of town, and I'm jealous at all of the nice golf courses within a short drive of a suburb like Westminster. I get annoyed when I have to drive north of DTC. haha

I'm a member of Front Range, and Noodler on here plays on both Front Range and Golf Week. Feel free to hit us up with questions. And also hop on the Colorado WRX 2020 thread .

thank you, i will likely take you guys up on that offer! it's funny that i posted this hoping to nail down my options but now there's much more to consider than i imagined.

On 9/10/2020 at 4:30 PM, hoselpalooza said:

bear creek's website leaves a lot to the imagination so i had to search elsewhere to get a sense of the course and club. this is a pretty good write-up from colorado avid golfer. in short, it sounds like an amazing course with a membership of serious golfers. after reading that article i think bear creek ticks most of the boxes that are important to me in a club.

there's only real downside i can think of, at least at this point in my life: as a single guy who's new to the area one of my priorities is to meet and play with competitive women. that could be difficult to do at bear creek... ? 

That might be hard to find anywhere! A lot of the DU current and former players are at Highlands Ranch. That might be your best bet...

• 3 weeks later...

@Joelnessused to be a member at Colorado National. IIRC, he said it was only about 20-25 minutes from his place downtown. It's a fun course with nice facilities, and I'm pretty sure Joel liked it before taking time to travel the world. They also have a large indoor practice facility too.

Pace of play typically blows on the weekends, but I'm guessing you get priority reservations to get early tee times out there. I haven't seen him on here in awhile, but maybe he'll surprise us all and chime in 🙂

• Thanks 1

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 4:30 PM, hoselpalooza said:

There were a few ladies at practicing at Colorado National on Wednesday afternoon that probably would've gotten your attention.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pseudoswede said:

There were a few ladies at practicing at Colorado National on Wednesday afternoon that probably would've gotten your attention.

admittedly, i could use a better half. here's to hoping it's true that chicks really dig the long ball 🍻🤣

Edited by hoselpalooza
words
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I will speak to Walnut Creek and Legacy. IMO Walnut it’s the best test of public golf in the front range. They host a US Open qualifier yearly. Conditions are always very good. Greens are fast. Really good mix of holes. Practice facility is good. Good short game area with bunkers. Solid putting area. Range is all grass and usually great especially early in the day.  Albeit all are a good walk from the lot. The course is a healthy walk. Couple holes with a lot of elevation change. I’ve walked it plenty. Not much for trees. So, watch for wind. It blows hard out there. 

Legacy is a great sister course. Far easier walk. Same solid conditions. Good putting area and range. Short game area is small and inadequate. 

Todd Creek which is even farther from you. Has the best short game area in the north area. Two greens with bunkers. You can hit 50yd wedges into them both. Great putting area and range. 

• Thanks 1