2020 US Open

JD3

6 hours ago, Bluefan75 said:

So I guess I shouldn't have hoped for better given the low rights fees NBC is paying(since Fox has to eat a good amount of it), but how are people finding the commercial frequency?  I always get nervous when they show the leaderboard with the background music.

It's not the commercials for me. The morning coverage was perfect for this day and age. It's the cut-away crap with graphics or Hicks on screen talking that they fill every single open moment with. They didn't start doing it until Hicks and crew were on. Every couple shots you hear, "Reminder; new Peacock streaming", "Remember when, blah blah blah". I'd be happy if they just shut up while showing golf and then cut to commercial, rinse repeat. Constant blathering is actually physically and mentally exhausting to sit through. It's like being at a lecture that you care nothing about. 

On 9/9/2020 at 9:33 PM, Christosterone said:

6B3588EC-205F-4413-B833-7B8C60C18A46.jpeg

The putts he made in the middle were just band aids. Otherwise he was a pretty mediocre player who doesn't do anything especially well these days. Unlike the leaders atop the board who are go out attack the course and make it happen kind of guys. 

And Phil nearly didn't even break 80.

Methinks these guys are rapidly fading into the sunset. Fans can tune in early tomorrow to watch Phill's early sunset and tigers in the afternoon. 

Edited by JD3

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

4 hours ago, Jackhammer993 said:

So all week it was told to us how this was the most difficult course ever and how over par would win. Watching shots Tuesday and Wednesday you could see the greens were super receptive. Today not surprisingly it’s a birdie fest. The US Open was always my favorite tournament each year. You could expect the sternest test of the year on courses set up for that. With the exception of Oakmont the US  Open has turned into a lesser version of the PGA. At Shinecock they even put the flags in the middke of the greens on Sunday to make it easier. Today it’s easier because of darkness? Because the greens are too soft? This championship has put itself well behind the other majors because it lost touch with what it’s suppose to be. Very dissapointing.

The players whined enough and finally broke the USGA it appears. I have no interest in a US Open that has more than a handful of players under par.

17 minutes ago, JD3 said:

The putts he made in the middle were just band aids. Otherwise he was a pretty mediocre player who doesn't do anything especially well these days. Unlike the leaders atop the board who are go out attack the course and make it happen kind of guys. 

Methinks these guys are rapidly fading into the sunset. Fans can tune in early tomorrow to watch Phill's early sunset and tigers in the afternoon. 

Add FedEX champ DJ to the list of guys riding horseback, into the sunset...Give me a break.  Heck, JT was +7 after 2 rounds just a few weeks ago. People cannot keep comparing TW to the Johnny-Come-Lately field leaders, he's one man. Look at the the top 10 in the world and tell me how they all were at the top of the leader board round after round after round. Guys have hot streaks, and then cool off. Do you jump on their hate train when they fire an over par round??? Sheesh...

Edited by A.Princey

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

16 minutes ago, ATLgopher said:

He’s not playing well enough to win but let’s not act like he should be working on the grounds crew

He played ok for the form he's been in. Should've finished at +1. Got jobbed on 1 lip out and another that was center cut and just dove away an inch or 2 in front of the hole. Had a chance to be under par if he got a couple decent bounces in the fairway. Had at least a couple that finished just a foot in the thick cabbage. His only chance to win was if this thing made it into +10 territory anyway. Winning score anywhere close to Par and I think top 15 would've been his ceiling

1 hour ago, Arn said:

Technology took his advantage away. Not necessary to strike shots pure or control trajectory anymore.

Preach !! 

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, OrangeGravy said:

The players whined enough and finally broke the USGA it appears. I have no interest in a US Open that has more than a handful of players under par.

Now some controversy with Bryson and maybe even phil busting on the course ...

I thought you'd be interested in this story 

Bryson DeChambeau boils over at US Open: ‘These greens suck’ 

https://nypost.com/2020/09/17/bryson-dechambeau-boils-over-at-us-open-these-greens-suck/

Sent from the New York Post app. For more from the Post, visit http://nypost.com.
 To download our apps, visit http://nypost.com/mobile-apps

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

Wow has the game changed.  Winged Food used to be considered one of the toughest courses in the world.  Take away the US Open rough and the pros would really tear it up.  No over par scoring at this US Open no matter where they put the pins.  It's a testament to the talent and the equipment.

NO course is safe from the modern game.

• Like 1

Ping G430 10k 9 Tour Black 2.0 Stiff

Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei White Stiff

Titleist 818 21 KBS PROTO Stiff
Ping G710 4-PW

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Senita 38 Putter

8 minutes ago, mosesgolf said:

Wow has the game changed.  Winged Food used to be considered one of the toughest courses in the world.  Take away the US Open rough and the pros would really tear it up.  No over par scoring at this US Open no matter where they put the pins.  It's a testament to the talent and the equipment.

We'll see after the cut.  I can buy the reasoning that they kept it somewhat manageable due to time of year/daylight and a need to ensure they could get everyone through 18.  I think they only had a couple of groups not get 18 in and they're through, what, 16-17?  If they had it running carnage-style, then pace of play would have slowed way down.

1 hour ago, JD3 said:

TWs doing just fine. It’s the US Open, young mans event and he’s middle age. Play some golf, get some reps in. 

All gravy for him to even be out there and maybe get a few more cracks at the Masters or Open.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, mosesgolf said:

Beth page black would easily be tillinghast best course had he finished the greens (a local firm did it when he left the project). Far better course than winged foot who's land was so plain they felt they needed to trick up every green. BPB just needed some of that contouring instead of the pancake flat surfaces out there now. 

Edited by JD3
  • Like 1

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

2 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

TWs doing just fine. It’s the US Open, young mans event and he’s middle age. Play some golf, get some reps in. 

All gravy for him to even be out there and maybe get a few more cracks at the Masters or Open.

His swan song was last year's masters. Good for him to be able to put it all together and rise to the occasion one more time. But imo he's done playing at a high level by tour standards....the top players are so much better than he is now. 

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

3 minutes ago, carrier street said:

If there is one thing this forum loves, it’s making sweeping statements about a tournament on a Thursday. 

Spot on! Post of the year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Edel Brick

21 minutes ago, JD3 said:

His swan song was last year's masters. Good for him to be able to put it all together and rise to the occasion one more time. But imo he's done playing at a high level by tour standards....the top players are so much better than he is now. 

he’s ranked in the 21 of the entire planet....that means only 20 players on earth have out performed him over the last 2 years...

plus he’s defending champ of the masters

top 25 in the world players can win any week...period

-chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

47 minutes ago, JD3 said:

https://nypost.com/2020/09/17/bryson-dechambeau-boils-over-at-us-open-these-greens-suck/

Sent from the New York Post app. For more from the Post, visit http://nypost.com.

Phil wasn’t saying anything about the course.  He’s tired of missing fairways.

57 minutes ago, JD3 said:

Phil was taking about his driving of the golf ball and not the course. Bryson simply continues to be the insufferable brat that everybody knows he is.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/phil-mickelson-implodes-opening-79-us-open-i-just-played-terrible

“I don’t know what to say, it’s a disappointing day,” Mickelson said afterward. “I drove it poorly and I putted poorly. The course couldn’t be set up any better. It’s a spectacular golf course, great design, awesome setup, and I thought it was a good opportunity to score low today. I just played terrible.”

42 minutes ago, JD3 said:

That probably, what, the 10th time you’ve said that over the years?

; )

Can’t day I blame you, we all thought the same til TW ***** slapped us all and the “top so much better players” just a year ago, lol.

Its just a question of how much he can/has the drive to work. You think TW has been even putting half the work in this year as he did in 18/19 when he quickly leapfrogged to #5 in the world just last July?

• Like 1

Death, taxes, and people complaining about the US Open setup and Winged Food.  That course is really hard.  Of course anything is conducive to scoring when the greens are soft.  The US Open usually produces high scores because you can't even hit a wedge on the green without it bouncing a foot in the air.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, carrier street said:

If there is one thing this forum loves, it’s making sweeping statements about a tournament on a Thursday. 

And bashing Tiger as being over the hill because he isn't in the top 5 of every event he competes in. 

Let's try it for another player and see how stupid it sounds....

"Gary Woodland is +4, just there to claim his exemption and fill the field. Won a single major and just can't compete anymore."

Jesus people

• Like 2

One noteworthy thing to discuss is the whole re-schedule, and it's effect on that "one" player. Imagine prepping from Xmas to March, with Augusta fast approaching on your radar, with a well-honed and proven plan of attack. Then, all of a sudden all that work has been in vain, with no real assurances of a season actually developing once The Players gets chopped. Maybe he mentally checked out then and has been battling up hill ever since. Combine that with the FC Playoff hoopla and appearances(yeah, really doubt TW really cares about that now), it's really been a poor year for him to even get ready to play like he did in 2019. His perfect schedule is one(or 2) warm-up tourney prior to a major and then rest, rinse and repeat. The FC is just dessert to the main course for Big Cat, take it or leave it at this point. Ideally, I think Tiger would like 10 tournaments per year at max, and the draw this year was a crapshoot for the mid-40's man.

Edel Brick

5 hours ago, JD3 said:

DeChambeau can't seem to go one week without seeming like an entitled a**, always everyone else's fault but his.

5 hours ago, JD3 said:

I'm pretty sure Phil's little tiff was in reference to his spraying the ball all over the place. I was curious why Bryson mentioned something in his interview about maybe if the greens are better tomorrow. 

The Peacock idea was absolutely idiotic. If you want to run a PR stunt to plug your new service - whatever, I dont care. But do it during the wraparound season and leave the live feed on SOME network. NBC owns a handful of networks they could have put coverage on but this was a greed/money play pure and simple.

We had a lot of people at my club last night who had finished playing, including a small juniors camp, and everyone wondered WTF was going on. What does NBC expect clubs to do - does every course or sports bar have to buy Rokus to hook up to every tv? We have a lot of smaller tvs tucked away in the pro shop or locker rooms or whatever - sorry/not sorry but they arent all smart tvs that we can go around and download Peacock onto all of them.

Just an absolutely asinine decision based on money and greed - no other way around it. 

Edited by dcmidnight
  • Like 1

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

1 hour ago, dcmidnight said:

The Peacock idea was absolutely idiotic. If you want to run a PR stunt to plug your new service - whatever, I dont care. But do it during the wraparound season and leave the live feed on SOME network. NBC owns a handful of networks they could have put coverage on but this was a greed/money play pure and simple.

We had a lot of people at my club last night who had finished playing, including a small juniors camp, and everyone wondered WTF was going on. What does NBC expect clubs to do - does every course or sports bar have to buy Rokus to hook up to every tv? We have a lot of smaller tvs tucked away in the pro shop or locker rooms or whatever - sorry/not sorry but they arent all smart tvs that we can go around and download Peacock onto all of them.

Just an absolutely asinine decision based on money and greed - no other way around it. 

So I tend to defend these networks because it's a free market and they spend a lot of money on these properties and need to use them to push people towards their products; especially new ones.  We got free coverage on traditional networks from 7:30 to 4 PM; which is a lot more coverage than we ever got up until a few years ago.  I do find in this case though using the late afternoon window to be a bit of overkill.  Use 7:30 to 10 or 11 AM; not the window where we traditionally get coverage.  In NBCs defense Peacock does offer a free tier but personally I don't feel like taking the time to sign up and download. 

I think it's important to remember that NBC spent big money in order to be able to do this; if you want to blame someone it should go to the USGA.  They were the ones who decided that the $ was worth taking the late afternoon window off traditional cable/network.

• Like 1