2020 US Open

Now that Tiger is out, I am rooting for a Reed and Bryson final...just to watch this board explode. Oh the whining that will happen. Its going to be great.

• Like 3

Cobra F9 9.5° - Fuji Atmos TS Blue

Mizuno ST190 15° - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 

Mizuno MP20 SEL HMB (3, 4 irons) - DG 120 S300

Mizuno JPX Forged (5-PW) - DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM5 52°/12° F Grind 

Titleist Vokey SM5 58°/11° K Grind 

Titleist Vokey SM5 62°/8° T Grind 

Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Titleist Pro V1 

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If there is one thing this forum loves, it’s making sweeping statements about a tournament on a Thursday. 

info normally found in a properly constructed thread, esp a major ... just sayin!: TV Thursday, September 17: 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m. ET (Golf Channel); 2-5 p.m. ET (NBC)Friday, September 18: 9:30

I disagree.

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, lefty1978 said:

Now that Tiger is out, I am rooting for a Reed and Bryson final...just to watch this board explode. Oh the whining that will happen. Its going to be great.

It became clear this is a right to left course as both dechambeau and reed favor that shape. The faders like Dustin and defending champ woodland had trouble both days, as did thomas today.  Tigers "safe shot" off the tee is also a cut which kept sliding into the rough. 

Ping G400 10.5 Ping Tour 65
Ping G400 14.5 Ping Tour 75  
Ping G410 HB 19 KBS Graphite Tour Hybrid 85
Callaway Apex 2019 4 - AW KBS Tour 120
Yururi Tataki 52.5 & 60.5 KBS Hi Rev 125
Ping Anser 2 Milled
NDMC Grips (extra wrap lower half to reduce taper)
Titleist AVX 
UA Jordan Spieth 2
Footjoy Tour Glove (optional, often times play without glove)

3 hours ago, Greg_B said:

I agree with dumping Torrey. Never understood the USGA’s infatuation with it. Pebble is borderline too easy for these guys now but the presentation is lovely. I could do without Bethpage too, 2 NYC area courses are enough. If you want another west coast course for TV there are plenty of good ones to choose.  Olympic Club, Riviera, many others.  I would like to see some Midwest or Texas area courses considered too. 

WEATHER....it doesnt rain in June in San Diego, the course has the length they wanted and its a public venue. The USGA likes to promote the illusion that the National Open of the US is played at a venue that every man/woman can play, there are two course on the West Coast that are better than TP, the Bayonnet Course @ Fort Ord and La Purisma, but neither will ever get considered, even Pelican Hill is a better course that TP

• Like 1
1 minute ago, 3whacker said:

WEATHER....it doesnt rain in June in San Diego, the course has the length they wanted and its a public venue. The USGA likes to promote the illusion that the National Open of the US is played at a venue that every man/woman can play, there are two course on the West Coast that are better than TP, the Bayonnet Course @ Fort Ord and La Purisma, but neither will ever get considered, even Pelican Hill is a better course that TP

Agree.  La Purisma is fantastic and Bayonnet can be brutal.

8 minutes ago, 3whacker said:

Agreed.

I have a residence card, so I only pay $64 for Torrey south. I still shudder paying that much. The course layout and difficulty is next to none. It just sits on the coast. To your point - technically yes, any man/woman/child can play; but at $240, it's a little non-inclusive...

Also...

REED! 😂

Rogue Draw Rogue Silver 70g
Cobra Bio Cell 3W Rogue Black 80g
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW Nippon Pro Modus 130X
Nike VR 54/58 Nippon Pro Modus 130X
Rife Two Bar Center Shaft
B330

2 hours ago, Golf10 said:

Here are the only courses that I want to host an open.  I like Torrey but it's nowhere near Open caliber.  If they can get LACC again they should drop Torrey yesterday.

- Pebble

- LACC North

- Winged Foot West

- Shinnecock Hills

- Oakmont

- Pinehurst 2

- Merion

- Oakland Hills South as Midwest anchor (especially after Hanse's Ross restoration)

- The Country Club (Boston)

No offense to Southern Hills, Chambers, Erin Hills, Medinah, Inverness, Olympic, Congressional, Olympia Fields, Baltusrol, Hazeltine, Torrey, Cherry Hills, Oak Hill but they are just a smidge below in my book.  They are all great courses but a better fit for PGA championships IMO.  I like the US Open to be old school like me.

pretty sure lacc is one and done for a while ... what did davis say the other day, 7 courses or so? ... minus, the cc & lacc, that's your 7 ... i haven't heard/read if they put in sub air at oakland hills, but each one of those courses should go ahead and bite the bullet ... pebble had sub air last year, so i wonder if this is only the 2nd time a US Open was at a course with subair ... that afford a tremendous amount of control, i would think, in bringing it close to the edge, based on weather conditions ... 

6 minutes ago, Hack Daddy said:

Agreed.

I have a residence card, so I only pay $64 for Torrey south. I still shudder paying that much. The course layout and difficulty is next to none. It just sits on the coast. To your point - technically yes, any man/woman/child can play; but at $240, it's a little non-inclusive...

Also...

REED! 😂

I too used to be a resident back in the 90's and the rate was $45 with a card...No way would I consider or recommend someone paying $240, its not worth that, I will go play Carlton Oaks or Aviara for that kind of money

Living in AZ I know a major will never happen here.  But the idea that a country this size has a rota of six or seven courses is a little crazy.  Without saying it, the USGA is almost admitting that there are only a handful of courses long enough to challenge the pros. Their only other option is screwing up great tracks like Shinnecock so no one shoots -20. 
when 2/3 of the field can carry bunkers and doglegs that were supposed to create risk reward decisions the “test” is a lot easier to pass.

27 minutes ago, tiderider said:

i haven't heard/read if they put in sub air at oakland hills, but each one of those courses should go ahead and bite the bullet

The current Oakland Hills renovation had them installing a PrecisionAire system for their greens. Not sure how it compares to the Sub Air system other courses have installed.

1 hour ago, tiderider said:

pretty sure lacc is one and done for a while ... what did davis say the other day, 7 courses or so? ... minus, the cc & lacc, that's your 7 ... i haven't heard/read if they put in sub air at oakland hills, but each one of those courses should go ahead and bite the bullet ... pebble had sub air last year, so i wonder if this is only the 2nd time a US Open was at a course with subair ... that afford a tremendous amount of control, i would think, in bringing it close to the edge, based on weather conditions ... 

Bummer about LACC, such a great course but I get it from the membership perspective.  I just hope the USGA spares us Torrey for a while.

OH put in precision aire so they're good there.  They've been in the doghouse for a while so Hanse's work will help them out.  The restoration work looks great.  There's not much Jones left, almost pure Ross.  

As far as the anchors I believe Davis said Pebble, Pinehurst, Oakmont and probably Winged Foot.  Shinny probably doesn't want it as often.

57 minutes ago, grm24 said:

The current Oakland Hills renovation had them installing a PrecisionAire system for their greens. Not sure how it compares to the Sub Air system other courses have installed.

I think it's the same as sub but you can also heat and cool the greens.

6 hours ago, gvogel said:

After a day like today, it's tough to be a Rory fan....  but I'm still a Rory fan.

I have coined a new term. It is the Rshuffle. Can apply it to Rory or Rickie. The Rshuffle occurs the day after a good round, where they shuffle backwards out of contention. You can see it in their mannerisms during the round...so disappointing! Have both on my Fantasy team too .... urrrrrrr!!! 

7 hours ago, Greg_B said:

No pressure. No expectations. He had probably already lost his wager with JT. 

You're clueless. If it was that easy for touring professionals to post low scores with no pressure or expectations on them why don't all of the players that far back regularly post 60/61/62's in the second round to make the cut or in the last round to move up the leaderboard? Can't wait for your well thought out and nuanced reply. Enlighten us all.

this is still wide open..

I honestly feel the +1s or better still have chance depending onhow they do tomorrow..

my personal dark horse is Matsuyama..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

4 hours ago, munichop said:

Living in AZ I know a major will never happen here.  But the idea that a country this size has a rota of six or seven courses is a little crazy.  Without saying it, the USGA is almost admitting that there are only a handful of courses long enough to challenge the pros. Their only other option is screwing up great tracks like Shinnecock so no one shoots -20. 
when 2/3 of the field can carry bunkers and doglegs that were supposed to create risk reward decisions the “test” is a lot easier to pass.

I think what the USGA may be saying is leave the mediocre courses to the PGA Tour (e.g. anything with TPC in the name) and we can work with some elite courses that are a proper test of golf.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff
Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Radius Classic 8

5 hours ago, Golf10 said:

Bummer about LACC, such a great course but I get it from the membership perspective.  I just hope the USGA spares us Torrey for a while.

OH put in precision aire so they're good there.  They've been in the doghouse for a while so Hanse's work will help them out.  The restoration work looks great.  There's not much Jones left, almost pure Ross.  

As far as the anchors I believe Davis said Pebble, Pinehurst, Oakmont and probably Winged Foot.  Shinny probably doesn't want it as often.

I doubt Winged Foot wants it every seven years either. Torrey works not because of the quality of the course, which isn’t anything special, but because of the infrastructure, the ability to make it tough, the location, and the TV views.  I agree it really shouldn’t be in a rotation because the course just isn’t an elite level layout like the others. 

7 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Agree.  La Purisma is fantastic and Bayonnet can be brutal.

Haven't played La Purisima but played Bayonnet again on a recent biz trip to the Bay Area.  Just an awesome, awesome test of golf.  It's hard, but a fun hard that as soon as you're done you just want to go play it again.  Blackhorse isn't that far behind either.

W/S Cortex 10.5*
TEE EXS 220 15*
TEE EXS Pro 19*/22*
TEE EXS Pro Blade 5-P
TEE EXS Pro 52*/56*/60*
Stroke Lab Ten