2020 US Open

JD3

22 minutes ago, m d g said:

Club head speed is officially a thing...along with being a great putter.

Wolff can barely hit a fairway in regulation and shoots 65. BDC in deep rough on 17 and knocks it to a few feet for birdie.

If you're a young kid and aren't flying it 300+ in high school you will be at a serious disadvantage if you ever want to be a pro.

Not sure what courses like Winged Foot can do other than deeper bunkers and more/taller trees.

I'm not part of the 'BDC is a genius' camp, but he's figured something out (he was always a very good player). Wolff just happens to be long without the bulk, but both are fast and long.

I watched replay of every wolff shot on youtube:

:

heres the scary thing , if he'd putted well he would have shot 63 or even 62 and broke millers record. That while only hitting a few fairways at winged foot! And not with the advantage of soft greens that miller had because of rain. 

Now just imagine what the pundits would be trying to sort out if that'd happen. 

Edited by JD3
  • Like 2

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

On 9/18/2020 at 1:06 PM, JohnnyDub said:

Lets start with this, who does everyone like on Sunday? Lets take a poll. Pick a winner and the score and some WRX swag may be at the end of the rainbow. 

I am late to the party as I had stuff going on all day. I am calling for a Rory come from behind win at -2.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

4 hours ago, JohnnyDub said:

Im predicting Wolf runs away with this thing....im seeing ZERO fear in this kids eyes.

Zero fear but this course can jump up and bite you quick!

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

32 minutes ago, Shakespeare said:

I have to say..if you can hit wedge 180 then rough doesn't matter ....still need to putt well though

Exactly...if you've got the speed to fly it 340 then you've got the speed to get out of the rough...win/win.

Putting will always matter, but I've always liked BDC's putting method and Wolff seems pretty solid in that department.

13 minutes ago, Hankshank said:

Isnt there something  ...two-glovesy over Matt Wolff? Not only the swing? I get a sense of danger when seeing Wolff, as I got with Tommy two-gloves.

Tommy is a convicted criminal. I see Wolff like someone who brags over his awesome Pokémon cards. He has a bad @ss name though, that helps.

Well, the Final Pairing is two swings I would Never try any  of those moves or setups myself and am not really thrilled in even watching alot of them on TV!

Can you think of any other pair of players whose game and/or swings make you not want to watch as much as these guys?

I'll go Jim Furyk and J.B. Holmes.  That's a combo of weird swing and slowness!  I also do not like Inbee Park's swing on the LPGA in large doses. My warmup swing  seems faster than her actual swing (which of course is very good!).

BAG ONE:                                                                                                   BAG TWO:
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max D                                               - Cobra F9 Tour Length  

5 -  Ping G425 Max 5(16.5)                                                    3 -  TEE C721 Pro 3 HL(16.5)

H - Callaway Mav P (18) Titleist TS2 (21)                              H - TM SF 2.0 (18) & (21)

I -  Titleist T300 4                                                                   I -  Taylormade SIM Max 4      
I -  Titleist T100 5-P/MR KK TiNi 105                                     I -  Taylormade P760 5-P/Recoils 110 F4

W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58                                        W - Vokey SM8 52, Vokey SM6 58 
P - Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                - Guerin TS Black 370

1 hour ago, Maximilian said:

Tommy is a convicted criminal. I see Wolff like someone who brags over his awesome Pokémon cards. He has a bad @ss name though, that helps.

Might be so. But I guess its the same as with Kirk and Charley hoffman. Their game faces during play make them look like someone in Deliverance, that village, but after the round, in interviews and so they look kinda normal. Wollff though is pretty same face all the time in interviews, and not the most humble of players.

12 hours ago, Yuck said:

JT and Rahm 6 over today, Reed +7 and Bryson shoots 70?   I would not of believed it, but Bryson is the only one who’s game plan assumes being in the rough.  It just might work.  But Matsuyama  takes this at -2.;

The only way Matsuyama will win is if someone takes him aside before the round and explains to him that the objective of putting is to roll the ball INTO the hole, not just knock it close.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Kilo1545 said:

I just meant his golf game.  I knew nothing about him as a person.  That's pretty sad though; someone who's blessed to play a game for a living and make a ton of money, going around treating people like crap.  It also cracks me up, because athletes and actors are literally modern day court jesters whose value lies in entertaining the masses.  How they've come to believe they're above everyone else is beyond me.

Curtis Strange and Lanny Wadkins were like this

This US Open is going to have a big asterisk if Wolff wins - dude has never played a major with a crowd and hasn't even really looked into the history of the US Open.  I don't think you can truly understand the weight of winning a major unless you're doing it in front of those crowds, hearing roars as others make a move and need to respond. 

Glad golf is back, but majors aren't deserving of the same place on the mantle until fans are back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, King_Slender said:

This US Open is going to have a big asterisk if Wolff wins - dude has never played a major with a crowd and hasn't even really looked into the history of the US Open.  I don't think you can truly understand the weight of winning a major unless you're doing it in front of those crowds, hearing roars as others make a move and need to respond. 

Glad golf is back, but majors aren't deserving of the same place on the mantle until fans are back.

The strength of field hasn't changed.  And for some people, the absence of sound and crowd movement is tougher.  Tiger relied on the crowd to help him.  A major is a major.

Edited by wcbjr
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, fowlerscousin said:

There needs to be a thread dedicated to Danny Lee blow-up yesterday. Imo biggest blowup in the history of pro golf

Wow 6 putt from 4 feet on 18. I wasn't even aware of this until your post. To that point he was a respectable 3 over for the day. He withdrew due to "wrist injury.". Whats up with that?

Edited by JD3

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

47 minutes ago, King_Slender said:

I was wondering if the no crowd thing will be a bit of an advantage for Wolff. He has played in front of crowds before, but nothing like a US Open. That said, you still have to get the ball in the hole and if he pulls it off, he is a legit US Open winner, despite no crowds.

Sleeping on a lead in a US Open, then having to wait until early afternoon to tee it up...that is some pressure right there. I think his caddy will be twice as important today...keeping him calm and relaxed. 

That all said, the leaders could back up a bit, and someone a few strokes back could post a great round and walk away with the trophy. It's golf, anything could happen, lol. 

• Like 1