2020 US Open

JD3

3 hours ago, tannyhoban said:

Bryson deserves credit for playing fantastic golf at a very difficult layout.

The course looked and held up great.

Indeed.   I had thought his short game was a little weak but for a bomber he had a very delicate touch near the greens.

My God - I saw one of those giant bunkers towards the final holes protecting the green. Look like a giant mouth waiting to swallow the ball. Beautiful course but very tough.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Golf10 said:

The rough would have been juicier in June I believe.  I wouldn't have a problem with 12 inch rough past 300 yards.  Grow fescue.

It wouldn’t. I live in the area and it’s colder and wetter now so more difficult 

Edited by stingerfade
  • Like 2

Different can be good.  This kid can play and because it doesn't look "normal" people freak.  Congrats Bryson!  They said you couldn't do it, but you did.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

1 hour ago, 8602081 said:

Just saw on Golf Channel..

Rory was longer on average driving distance..

He's not my favorite player, but he definitely deserved to win.

Right.  Why is everyone upset about distance when the guy who won was only the 7th longest average driver of the tournament according to the USGA stats?  Rory sounded very whiny for someone who had slightly longer avg drives.

• Like 3

I don’t really think Rory was being “whiny” at all in his interview. Sure, he’s a little bummed after his performance. He was out played, like everyone else including Wolff. But, he is a pretty insightful player, and I’m sure he realizes the way he plays the game isn’t much different than Bryson. 

TM Stealth 10.5* -- Speeder Evo VII 569s

TM Stealth 16.5* -- GD AD-IZ 6s

Titleist T200 4 -- Accra 200H M4

Titleist T100S 5-GW -- Modus 120

TM MG3 52*, 56*TW, 60*TW -- KBS HiRev

Sik Jo C -- KBS CT Tour

14 minutes ago, app10 said:

Right.  Why is everyone upset about distance when the guy who won was only the 7th longest average driver of the tournament according to the USGA stats?  Rory sounded very whiny for someone who had slightly longer avg drives.

Im asking myself the same question.   

I’d say it has to be that BD has said he’s going to get longer and play the big game - which he did - all over a USGA set up.  And won.  

That’s kind of a black eye for the USGA - they’re course can be defeated.  Can’t have that. 

In a way, Bryson just did the most sensible thing - he realized he (nor his competition) will hit anything close to all the fairways.  So, pound it as far down as you can so you’re hacking out with a 7 or less and not a long iron.   When you do hit the fairway, you’ll have a serious scoring opportunity.  

Flipped “conventional wisdom” that US Open’s are all about finding the fairway on its head and won.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, app10 said:

This is what I don’t get about the distance debate. 5 maybe 6 of the top 12 are bombers and 2 of the top 5. Matt was past Bryson on a fair amount of drives. It’s not like the top 20 were all bombers. 

congrats to Bryson, there is no one, well maybe Patrick Reed, who I dislike more. I have heard a couple off the course actions where he just is not a pleasant guy. That said he earned that trophy. 

3 hours ago, Golf10 said:

Winged Foot was supposed to be much harder than that!  In 2006 the winning score was +5.  Since then the course was lengthened and toughened.  The winning score was 11 strokes better.  I love the course but that takes off some of the shine.

Everyone shot even par and over par today except for Bryson. That says it all. 

38 minutes ago, HackDaddy360 said:

Im asking myself the same question.   

I’d say it has to be that BD has said he’s going to get longer and play the big game - which he did - all over a USGA set up.  And won.  

That’s kind of a black eye for the USGA - they’re course can be defeated.  Can’t have that. 

In a way, Bryson just did the most sensible thing - he realized he (nor his competition) will hit anything close to all the fairways.  So, pound it as far down as you can so you’re hacking out with a 7 or less and not a long iron.   When you do hit the fairway, you’ll have a serious scoring opportunity.  

Flipped “conventional wisdom” that US Open’s are all about finding the fairway on its head and won.  

I think that it is going to change the way that the US open picks courses for future tournaments. The answer is not longer holes and deeper rough. (In fact this week the rough was so deep that it was folded over in most places and the players actually had better lies that sat on top of the lower levels of rough suspended, instead of near the ground, than they would have if it was 3-4 inches instead). These "woke architecture" courses where all the holes are in the same open fields, with little trees, classic "parkland golf," are going to get dominated. You can play to other fairways if you want, and/or  hit the ball off line 100+ yards at least to one side on every hole and still be in play. If you don't have areas that are out of play or native that is almost unplayable on both sides of most holes, these guys have no reason not to crush it and play to wherever they want. Especially if there aren't fans and grandstands and you aren't worried about hitting people.

Edited by TexasTurf
typo
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, OrangeGravy said:

Oh my! those pants in that last pic are spectacular

his glove was dyed Augusta green in 1972...love miller
miller, trevino and doug sanders would have their gloves dyed...

sanders had multiple bags dyed...had a plum crazy purple, mustard, 3 greens...that’s next level awesome when u change ur bag to match ur outfit

Also loved miller’s hat the year weiskopf won the open...Miller was all kinds of awesome with outfits

-Chris

250AA2A7-D1D9-4BDA-9E4E-983A76C6C305.jpeg

Edited by Christosterone
  • Like 3

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

15 minutes ago, TexasTurf said:

I think that it is going to change the way that the US open picks courses for future tournaments. The answer is not longer holes and deeper rough. (In fact this week the rough was so deep that it was folded over in most places and the players actually had better lies that sat on top of the lower levels of rough suspended, instead of near the ground, than they would have if it was 3-4 inches instead). These "woke architecture" courses where all the holes are in the same open fields, with little trees, classic "parkland golf," are going to get dominated. You can play to other fairways if you want, and/or  hit the ball off line 100+ yards at least to one side on every hole and still be in play. If you don't have areas that are out of play or native that is almost unplayable on both sides of most holes, these guys have no reason not to crush it and play to wherever they want. Especially if there aren't fans and grandstands and you aren't worried about hitting people.

I think you’re right about this.  

my home course is almost 100 years old and has some seriously large trees in it.  From the back tees you get some tough angles or risk/reward shots.  It’s also many multiple factors of x narrower than what we saw today.   So, if you’re going to try and overpower the course, you better hit it straight - otherwise you’ll be getting really good at your 4 iron punch shot.   It’s also an ~6.7k yard course at most.  

said another way, some courses That are shorter are materially harder than a long, open course - even with the rough.  

last thing - maybe if the USGA didn’t make the courses 7.5k yards long they wouldn’t have guys more-less needing to figure out how to hit the ball as far as possible if they want to have a chance at scoring well...

39 minutes ago, TexasTurf said:

Hell I'd love to see the fairways much wider.  That's how they were originally designed.  You gotta roll back the ball like 20% though.  The equipment makes almost all courses obsolete for the best players.

Look, Rory spent the entire interview being asked about Bryson. He gave him credit. Y'all are the whiney ones.

It's like in the old days when someone paired with Tiger shot 65 and Tiger shot 74. They'd spend the entire interview asking him about playing Tiger and how in awe was he of Tiger's game.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

36 minutes ago, Golf10 said:

Hell I'd love to see the fairways much wider.  That's how they were originally designed.  You gotta roll back the ball like 20% though.  The equipment makes almost all courses obsolete for the best players.

The problem is then you are going to have to roll the ball back different percentages based on different courses. I think that the xxxx is on courses to change, not the players or the ball.

2 hours ago, seth514 said:

I don’t really think Rory was being “whiny” at all in his interview. Sure, he’s a little bummed after his performance. He was out played, like everyone else including Wolff. But, he is a pretty insightful player, and I’m sure he realizes the way he plays the game isn’t much different than Bryson. 

I wouldn't even attribute it to being outplayed, more that for some reason he still hasn't figured out that you shouldn't be hitting the ball 200ft in the air when its windy. It boggles my mind with how good he is that he continues bashing his head into that same wall. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

7 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

If the USGA rolls the ball back I don't see how that benefits the shorter players. Wolff and Bryson would still be at the top of this leaderboard. Bryson got super long  the last 9 months not through golf technology, but through fitness and diet. Not saying that the ball shouldn't be rolled back for the players, but I wouldn't do that just to try to make the gap between the shorter and longer players smaller

Whether you're for or against, THAT ^^^^ is not why they would roll anything back.

JT, Wolff & Reed collapsed. He did not. There was a couple of others but for the most part the rest were never really there. I don't believe he's changing the game, he plays to it & just ground out the win. Give him credit, how many guys add that much muscle & swing speed and do better? 

The game will someday have a 'come to jesus moment' on the equipment thing. 350 yard tee shots annihilates most all courses. It just does. It destroys the art of negotiating a layout, it destroys the point of the layout. Till then, bombs away.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, oikos1 said:

Kind of a telling tweet by Rory, almost as if he is wondering if the last five years of fitness he's done was a complete waste of time.

Ha!  Maybe but think of this, too...

Bryson is getting big - as in adding mass.  As a now latter 30s dude who hits the Peloton several times a week and does some semblance of a weight workouts, I roll around at 6’4” 238 as of this weekend.  I’m working on my fitness but right now I’m somewhere between Bryson and dad bod for build.  

I say that because I can also smoke the golf ball with a swing that doesn’t look aggressive.  It’s just physics - I have a long arc and a lot of mass to turn at the golf ball.  Ball go far.  

Rory is fit.  So now he generates speed with those muscles - but it doesn’t make up for mass/force that can be applied by a larger person of equivalent strength.  perhaps Bryson is actually showing the future of what a “tour player” should look like - taller and looks like a linebacker. 

while I’m here, I’ll throw out there that Bryson is spot on with how he’s swinging the club for power - all while throwing convention out the window... let the arms hang? Nope.  Quiet feet? Nope.  Swing easy off the top of the swing?  Nope. 

He keeps the club on a pretty square path, has eliminated some moving parts and just lashes at it.  It some ways, that makes a lot more sense/is less complicated than building a classic swing.  

Maybe Bryson’s brand of golf swing might actually be easier for amateurs to learn.  They would just need the strength to pull it off.  ??‍♂️

• Like 1