2020 US Open

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If there is one thing this forum loves, it’s making sweeping statements about a tournament on a Thursday. 

It's extremely rare to see a guy use a non-standard set of clubs, science, technology and a complete change in body mass (in combination) to get better results.  That sort of “season-to-season” missio

info normally found in a properly constructed thread, esp a major ... just sayin!: TV Thursday, September 17: 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m. ET (Golf Channel); 2-5 p.m. ET (NBC)Friday, September 18: 9:30

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

He seems to be putting solid prep into this one. Since the Masters win, it looks like he's been coasting it a bit. Forgivable for sure but he wins when he preps. At the very least he's doing it to finish respectably. Still annoyed I cannot use my Sunday tickets but this ought to be a good one.

5 hours ago, JD3 said:

east course is generally considered a "lighter touch", but mostly because it's shorter. its quite similar otherwise, and it actually has some forced carries that are more severe than anything on the west. 

If I was a member at WF and not a young man or an old former athlete the west would be totally boring. Last 4 holes, 

most certainly from members tee being like 400+ yards. Standard driver say 220 yards and terribly long approaches. For the everyday 15 hcp you can have two holes like that once in a row, but four? I was member at a club with a par four streak like that. No club decisions at all, you hit driver and then you hit whatever needed to reach green. Guess some of those holes are member par 5:s(short), otherwise its totally brainless. 

edit: found the score card guess white is the supposed members tee. As a 14 hcp member, hitting average drives, maybe once a year at some tournament.

8E048912-1B26-452B-803E-7C3C871E9BEF.png

Edited by Hankshank
2 hours ago, Hankshank said:

If I was a member at WF and not a young man or an old former athlete the west would be totally boring. Last 4 holes, 

most certainly from members tee being like 400+ yards. Standard driver say 220 yards and terribly long approaches. For the everyday 15 hcp you can have two holes like that once in a row, but four? I was member at a club with a par four streak like that. No club decisions at all, you hit driver and then you hit whatever needed to reach green. Guess some of those holes are member par 5:s(short), otherwise its totally brainless. 

edit: found the score card guess white is the supposed members tee. As a 14 hcp member, hitting average drives, maybe once a year at some tournament.

What do you mean the last 4! How about the whole course! I don't know which holes are downhill but I can only see 6 and 7 that aren't long.

I watched the Golfdigest flyover of all the holes just now.  Looks like there are several places where one side of the fairway has been pinched in.  You look down one side and the fairway cut is maybe 15-20 yards off the treeline.  The other side is more like 40 yards off the trees.  I guess they narrowed the fairways on some holes 10-15-20 yards?

Also more than a few bunkers that were buried up in the rough.  Especially those in the apron areas on the fairway side.  Those that I would think would normally be fronted with fairway so a ball could run into them instead of getting hung in the rough.

5 hours ago, Hankshank said:

Irs the "hard par, easy bogey" concept which I agree tends to get tiring after a while. There are essentially not forced carries over hazards with stakes, and hitting OB would require some real effort. I personally choose back tees at most courses most often because that's there the designed put the most thought in and hence give you the most interesting angles off the tee. Forward tees are more or less an after thought. 

Ping G400 10.5 Ping Tour 65
Ping G400 14.5 Ping Tour 75  
Ping G410 HB 19 KBS Graphite Tour Hybrid 85
Callaway Apex 2019 4 - AW KBS Tour 120
Yururi Tataki 52.5 & 60.5 KBS Hi Rev 125
Ping Anser 2 Milled
NDMC Grips (extra wrap lower half to reduce taper)
Titleist AVX 
UA Jordan Spieth 2
Footjoy Tour Glove (optional, often times play without glove)

15 hours ago, Kilo1545 said:

I like Morikawa and his fade this week, assuming his putter shows up.

I don't know, to me it seems to set up a little better of the tee for someone who draws the ball, just based on how the holes bend.  That said, Morikawa has the game to win anywhere, and Monty--who's about as dedicated to the fade as faders come--almost won in 2006.  Seems like a course that doesn't really favor any one type of game or another.

8 hours ago, tw_focus said:

TW's swing looks really good in the Twitter videos, this could be the year he wins it again. The guy won this tourney with a broken leg, now he's back with two healed legs, an amazing swing, firing on all cylinders. I wouldn't bet against him.

Should we bet the house?

• Like 1

W/S Cortex 10.5*
W/S C300 15*
W/S C300 20*/23*
WS Staff Model 5-P
W/S PMP 50/54/58
Scotty Newport Pro Platinum Mil-Spec

9 hours ago, ingy said:

rumour has it johnny miller has come back to tell everyone how good his final round at oakmont was in 1973 one more time. he'll possibly also describe how when he was 'on', his irons literally couldn't miss by more than 3 yards

well, they literally literally couldn't miss by more than 3 yards ... 

• Like 1

Crew on the featured group really want to commentate in positives, but they get caught out by the players - YJS not living up to their description, JT putting it in a bunker after they praise his short game, slopes of the green not giving results as called... Gotta be tough to jump in and be on the spot for a tough conditioned course.