2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Fleetwood TF Proto Irons

Anyone have any info on these? Also looks like he is putting the Titleist TI3 driver in the bag!

Edited by youngun87
  • Like 1

TM Stealth+ 9* VENTUS TR BLUE 
TM Stealth 2+ 16.5* VENTUS BLACK 
SRIXON ZK MK II UTILITY 3 IRON NIPPON GOST 

SRIXON ZX MK II UTILITY 4 IRON DG TI 120

ARTISAN PW-5 DG TI 120

CLEVELAND RTX 6 ZIPCORE TOUR RACK 52*

ARTISAN CUSTUM 56* 60* DG TI 
TOUR RAT PROTO

Looks like a variant of the P-7TW he had been playing. I believe most of the "proto" versions of irons have slight variations to match the players preferred look. The DJ proto had a slightly longer blade length than the standard 730. Things like that. Interesting that TM did that for a non-contracted player. I know they did some one-offs for players they were looking to sign, Akshay comes to mind, but even then I don't believe they got the "my name-proto" treatment.

• Like 1
  • Taylormade Qi10 core 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

Truthfully could be the TW iron And they just changed the part of the program for the name engraving.  As in he ordered a new set and said “ kind of weird to have another guys name on my irons. Can I get mine on them this time “ ?  Love his bag setup by the way. 

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

6 hours ago, RonSwanson said:

Looks like a variant of the P-7TW he had been playing. I believe most of the "proto" versions of irons have slight variations to match the players preferred look. The DJ proto had a slightly longer blade length than the standard 730. Things like that. Interesting that TM did that for a non-contracted player. I know they did some one-offs for players they were looking to sign, Akshay comes to mind, but even then I don't believe they got the "my name-proto" treatment.

I could see this being a likely case. Tommy certainly one of the more popular golfers out there and would fit in well with their stable of former Nike players. Why not go after him.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

it may be a modification to the initials.  but you can't argue that it's p7tw.  can't you see that they are not even close?  I am always interested to see what tommy is gaming.  he always has the most interesting bag and I think it speaks volume that he made such a quick change to tsi3.  can't wait to get my hands on one!

38 minutes ago, adl300 said:

it may be a modification to the initials.  but you can't argue that it's p7tw.  can't you see that they are not even close?  I am always interested to see what tommy is gaming.  he always has the most interesting bag and I think it speaks volume that he made such a quick change to tsi3.  can't wait to get my hands on one!

So, I just pulled up the P7TW from Taylormadegolf.com and they have a back view of the 6 iron.  You can see the back view of the Fleetwood proto 6 iron in one of the pictures.

Now, I am not a club designer, and make no bones about having a great eye to see slight discrepancies, but they look pretty identical to me.  I mean the angles of the pictures are slightly off, but I see nothing that says "they are not even close".

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

8 hours ago, erikalfstad said:

Also heard that it’s simply just a modification to the initials. Fairway Jesus! 

That is what Johnny Wunder posted. I am sure he got that from Trottie, so probably accurate. He has a fun bag for sure. Plays what works and we should all take notes. You should look at each club in your bag and make sure it fills a purpose and need. Each spot should be individual. There is no need for pride, or ego or having your clubs all "match" in a set. Just find what works for you in that spot.

I have had that ideology for a while. Many look at my bag that is not near as varied as his and think it is strange. 

• Like 3

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

20 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

So, I just pulled up the P7TW from Taylormadegolf.com and they have a back view of the 6 iron.  You can see the back view of the Fleetwood proto 6 iron in one of the pictures.

Now, I am not a club designer, and make no bones about having a great eye to see slight discrepancies, but they look pretty identical to me.  I mean the angles of the pictures are slightly off, but I see nothing that says "they are not even close".

What we can't tell from the back are things like bounce, offset, topline etc etc. But I agree that "it's not even close" is hyperbolic in this case. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

On 9/10/2020 at 6:27 AM, RonSwanson said:

I think you’d be surprised for what manufacturers do for uncontracted players. Guys having no business with titleist are regularly seen around their vans, and the vice versa. It’s a big team atmosphere and being helpful will play dividends. 

The only thing that screams to me it is not it's own head is the cost of a new forging die set for an iron.  It is a lot more than most people know, and most factories are not going to run a new die for a set of less than 50 iron heads.

Now could they have their own big die, that they use and then hand shape/mill to get protos for these guys?  Sure.  Could they 5 axis mill the heads from scratch?  Sure again. 

However these things take a pile of work to write the programs(for milling), or to hand shape the heads to change offset, topline, bounce.  Do you do that for Tiger Woods, absolutely.  Because you know that then you can make a die afterwards, and then sell the heads at retail and make a pile of money.  Do you do that for TF who is not a paid endorser, and quite frankly moves no one's needle?  Not likely, especially considering who owns TM, they are looking for return on investment for the folks who invested to buy TM.  Do you do it for DJ and or Rory?  Well there is a Tableau report somewhere that shows TM sales with DJ and or Rory as a staffer and them as not a staffer(which if you aren't willing to baby your big players they will go somewhere else) that says they should be willing to spend X on their contract and X getting them custom clubs to still get a good ROI.

Remember after all the milling or handshaping the heads then have to be plated (carbon steel), they have to be tested by the USGA (different markings even require a another USGA test) and the R&A.  

More than likely TM has a bunch of TW heads without P7TW on them that they can mill for regular guys.  Sure maybe the DJ proto or Rory proto are blanks and then milled and then plated, but they are at least paid endorsers and move a needle a little bit.

==

I could be wrong on a few things here, but I KNOW the cost of having a forging die made(or what it was back in 2010) I know the cost of writing a 5 axis mill program and the cost of fixtures for the program.  I know these things from having run a golf company (yes small, but I had many industry contacts), and pricing out these items, and the time used to write a 3 axis program, and how much more time is involved in a 5 axis program. I know that KPS is not looking to break even with TM, investment firms have a plan when they buy a company and no one that is in on an investment is gonna risk losing money or breaking even.  There is more data analytics, spreadsheet and tableau usage for determining ROI on everything that is done now and looking back at previous years for comparison than you can shake a stick at.

Does TM try and suck up to non contracted players?  Yep, you would have to be an idiot not to, but there is a limit, and that limit is based on ROI, especially for a company like KPS.  Somewhere someone has a spreadsheet or Tableau report that shows what they are willing to do for non contracted players and where the ROI starts to slip away or a total amount they can spend during a year for ROI.  It's probably sprinkled with items like.   Current and historical WR, FED Ex cup points, Ryder and presidents cup appearances, European Order of merit, Driving distance, GIR hit, putting, strokes gained, who knows what all else.  You probably enter their info and it spits out a dollar amount per year.  If you think a Capital investment firm would not hold a company they own to this type of granularity, then you haven't been involved in one.  They track every dollar spent, every hour spent and what it is spent doing and how that type or dollar goes into their bottom line.

Edited by driveandputtmachine
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

1 hour ago, driveandputtmachine said:

I have to admit.  i am wrong and you are right. I take my comment back.

2 hours ago, QuigleyDU said:

That is what Johnny Wunder posted. I am sure he got that from Trottie, so probably accurate. He has a fun bag for sure. Plays what works and we should all take notes. You should look at each club in your bag and make sure it fills a purpose and need. Each spot should be individual. There is no need for pride, or ego or having your clubs all "match" in a set. Just find what works for you in that spot.

I have had that ideology for a while. Many look at my bag that is not near as varied as his and think it is strange. 

He really does have an awesome bag. Absolutely agree we should take notes and not let ego get in the way of deciding what's in our bag, or in my case OCD! 

• Like 1

can't believe no one is talking about the fact that he has a srixon (appears to be a 785) 4 iron in the bag...

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Dark Speed LS / 3w (dialed to 15.5*) / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

• 2 months later...

It's probably just an initial change like people said, but it could be heads without the tungsten weight in them too. Fleetwood played the standard VR Pro blades before which, as far as I know, the retail ones didn't have the tungsten behind the sweet spot like Tiger likes. Maybe Fleetwood wanted the same looks as the VR Pro with the P7TW, but wanted the softer feel, so TM made him the "TF PROTO" version. I do know that all the staff guys that played P730 with their own versions like DJ, Rory, Rose, etc. all those heads were actually different from one another. For instance, DJ's are more like the new P7MB with a thinner top line, less offset, and longer blade length. 

On 9/11/2020 at 6:39 AM, QuigleyDU said:

Amen to that.  I love TF's bag.  Seems like each club is picked to serve a purpose as he has a unique mixed bag.  I will admit, I have a certain amount of loyalty to TM especially when it comes to their woods, but when I test clubs, I always look at the numbers first then things like aesthetics second.  I love the way the TSi line looks.  It's too bad I didn't have access to testing those at the time I was testing the SIM line.  Could've been interesting to say the least. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

12 hours ago, tgoodspe1991 said:

It's probably just an initial change like people said, but it could be heads without the tungsten weight in them too. Fleetwood played the standard VR Pro blades before which, as far as I know, the retail ones didn't have the tungsten behind the sweet spot like Tiger likes. Maybe Fleetwood wanted the same looks as the VR Pro with the P7TW, but wanted the softer feel, so TM made him the "TF PROTO" version. I do know that all the staff guys that played P730 with their own versions like DJ, Rory, Rose, etc. all those heads were actually different from one another. For instance, DJ's are more like the new P7MB with a thinner top line, less offset, and longer blade length. 

they are the exact same except for the name on them.

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X