great round ... bad luck

kozubs

So yesterday I shot my personal best at my home course.  A round of plus 1.   Funny thing was, I had some rotten luck.

- Hole 4 for I came up just short after having to punch around a tree.  My chip rolled up, hit the stick and stayed out.  Ah well, more have probably dropped than not over the years.

- Hole 6 I hit a beautiful drive right down the center into a collection area.  I find my ball sitting on a dead crusty divot that's about 8" long.  It's perched up right in the center.  My partners told me to take it off but as I was 1 under at that point I wanted to be honest and played off the divot.  I think the divot wrapped round the ball on impact and it only flew about 1/2 way to the hole resulting in a bogie.  No big deal, back to even.

- Hole 7 par 5.  Bad drive and punched out to 90 yards.  Hit a great wedge in.  Flys in the cup, bounces out and shoots across the green 25ft away in the fringe.  2 putt par.  Bummer.  The rest of the round my partners kept telling me to shoot the front of the cup each time I lasered the flag.  

- the rest of my errors were bad club choices in the wind and just bad shots.

I did make 3 putts over 20 ft so I chalked that up to the gods evening things out for the bad breaks.  Onto the next round hopefully keeping the confidence.  

• Like 4

Sounds like you could be shooting an even round or better before season ends. Funny with all the divot talk you read, ie relief, don't hear about someones ball coming to rest on an old dried up pelt too often lol.

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

2 hours ago, kmay__ said:

Sounds like you could be shooting an even round or better before season ends. Funny with all the divot talk you read, ie relief, don't hear about someones ball coming to rest on an old dried up pelt too often lol.

It's honestly the first time it's ever happend to me where I've been on a dead divot.  I've probably only even ended up in a regular divot a handful of times in my life.  This particular hole has a collection area where anything from a 3 iron to a 6 iron will end up and it's divotville there.  I've been working this year to get steeper and have no problem getting out of a regular divot.  This one was funny.  I don't even know how my ball got on top and stayed there.  Oh well,  take the good with the bad.  

I've had the same thing happen to me as you had on the 7th. In my case it was a provisional ball, so if it had stayed in the cup it would have been an unlikely par. Instead, it entered in the left side (about 9 o'clock, if you imagine the hole as a clock face), span around and exited the right side at about 4 o'clock, ending up on the fringe about 30-foot away.

I managed to find my first ball, and it was still in play, and I ended scrambling for a par, so I didn't feel quite as down about the provisional bouncing out of the hole.

5 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I've had the same thing happen to me as you had on the 7th. In my case it was a provisional ball, so if it had stayed in the cup it would have been an unlikely par. Instead, it entered in the left side (about 9 o'clock, if you imagine the hole as a clock face), span around and exited the right side at about 4 o'clock, ending up on the fringe about 30-foot away.

I managed to find my first ball, and it was still in play, and I ended scrambling for a par, so I didn't feel quite as down about the provisional bouncing out of the hole.

That's nearly exactly what happened.  The hole was damaged at about 10 o'clock but the balls shot backward to the right about 2 o'clock.  I once had a tee shot do the same thing  on a par 3.  Flew in the cup, bounced out and ended up about 20ft away to the right... missed the birdie putt.  My avatar does show one that stuck though.  

• Like 1

Bad luck sucks...haha. There is probably some truth in that we notice bad breaks way more than good ones. But sometimes i feel that i exist so that other golfers can get lucky. Because i get all the bad bounces LOL

In my first club championship round i had 5 lipouts, had to take an unplayable like 15 feet off of a green because the ball came to rest up against a small tree stump, i had a ball hit a rock on a green on a par 3 and kick 90 degrees left into a downslope lie in a bunker...

Though this past weekend i shot 72 and twice hit it into the woods only to have it hit a tree and bounce back onto the fairway. I guess the course owed me a couple....though i would have preferred them in the round that meant something

So yeah i feel you OP

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

On 9/15/2020 at 7:42 AM, MtlJeff said:

Bad luck sucks...haha. There is probably some truth in that we notice bad breaks way more than good ones. But sometimes i feel that i exist so that other golfers can get lucky. Because i get all the bad bounces LOL

In my first club championship round i had 5 lipouts, had to take an unplayable like 15 feet off of a green because the ball came to rest up against a small tree stump, i had a ball hit a rock on a green on a par 3 and kick 90 degrees left into a downslope lie in a bunker...

Though this past weekend i shot 72 and twice hit it into the woods only to have it hit a tree and bounce back onto the fairway. I guess the course owed me a couple....though i would have preferred them in the round that meant something

So yeah i feel you OP

So it sounds like you probably got at least one "Barky?"

I had a round like that a few weeks ago, started on the 2nd hole. The green is fast and slopes heavily right to left so you have to aim for the right center or even right edge. Well I hit a perfect lob wedge that landed in the fringe and should have hopped on and then fed down to the flag. But there was a sprinkler head right there so instead I'm over the green in the rough and facing an impossible chip. That really puts you in an early bad mood for a round.

Same on the 8th hole, another sloped green. Landed the ball right where I wanted short left but it's really wet and soft so no bounce/feed.

You know it's a bad day when the most memorable holes are a couple of really great.....bogies.

What I'm trying to figure out is your "bad drive" on the par 5 where you were still able to punch out to 90 yards? Couldn't have been too bad in that case... ?

On 9/10/2020 at 11:37 AM, kozubs said:

So yesterday I shot my personal best at my home course.  A round of plus 1.   Funny thing was, I had some rotten luck.

- Hole 4 for I came up just short after having to punch around a tree.  My chip rolled up, hit the stick and stayed out.  Ah well, more have probably dropped than not over the years.

- Hole 6 I hit a beautiful drive right down the center into a collection area.  I find my ball sitting on a dead crusty divot that's about 8" long.  It's perched up right in the center.  My partners told me to take it off but as I was 1 under at that point I wanted to be honest and played off the divot.  I think the divot wrapped round the ball on impact and it only flew about 1/2 way to the hole resulting in a bogie.  No big deal, back to even.

- Hole 7 par 5.  Bad drive and punched out to 90 yards.  Hit a great wedge in.  Flys in the cup, bounces out and shoots across the green 25ft away in the fringe.  2 putt par.  Bummer.  The rest of the round my partners kept telling me to shoot the front of the cup each time I lasered the flag.  

I did make 3 putts over 20 ft so I chalked that up to the gods evening things out for the bad breaks.  Onto the next round hopefully keeping the confidence.  

Good playing!

Now as far as the gods evening out things, would it be OK if you got fewer bad breaks, but didn't make any "lucky" putts?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 11:37 AM, kozubs said:

Umm. Yeah, good round. Enjoy. You don’t always get what you want...

but nice round.

Different kind of divot bad luck for me.

Was playing a par 5 and didn’t hit a particularly good drive. So, figured I could make up some yards by hitting a low 5 wood that would get good roll out. Executed very well, ball goes about 200 and looking like I’ll get another 30 yds of roll. I see the ball hit and it just does a short hop to the left stopping right there. When I get to the ball there is a honking large divot in the beside the ball, about 3” thick and almost a foot long. Son of a biscuit! What’s the chances?

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

• 2 weeks later...

Good playing. I also believe we notice the bad breaks more so than the good ones. Maybe if we appreciate the good breaks more we will get more of them. Just the like the reverse psychology of having rain gloves and not really caring if it rains and it seems to rain less. I do best when only thinking about the shot in front of me. Keep up the good play.