2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

U.S. Open 2020: David Feherty expects 'a lot of whining' next week at Winged Foot

John K.

Players will whine. Phil will strike a moving ball because he’s an idiot. But at the end of the day, the course is king and the players won’t have anyone to blame but themselves. This isn’t a Chambers Bay situation where the course is sh!t. Winged Foot is as pure a golf course as it gets; a parkland classic in the rota along with the other USO gems. Can’t wait to watch and see guys shoot some really high numbers.

11 hours ago, Ronnie Mundt said:

Players will whine. Phil will strike a moving ball because he’s an idiot. But at the end of the day, the course is king and the players won’t have anyone to blame but themselves. This isn’t a Chambers Bay situation where the course is sh!t. Winged Foot is as pure a golf course as it gets; a parkland classic in the rota along with the other USO gems. Can’t wait to watch and see guys shoot some really high numbers.

There's a lot of irony in your post.

• Haha 3

Feherty isn't exactly going out on a limb, is he?  Players always whine when conditions are tough.  My personal prediction is that a rather vocal group of WRXers will whine that the USGA has completely botched the course set-up "just like they always do".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I dont get why the players whine about the setup. Each and every one of them are playing the same golf course. If its too tough for some of them, they could always just take the week off and let someone else play who might actually appreciate the opportunity.

Edited by TMoakley1547
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, TMoakley1547 said:

I dont get why the players whine about the setup. Each and every one of them are playing the same golf course. If its too tough for some of them, they could always just take the week off and let someone else play who might actually appreciate the opportunity.

That was the Nicklaus mindset regarding how much of the field he didn't really have to beat because they beat themselves just upon seeing the conditions.

• Like 2

Can someone explain what makes Winged Foot so great...aside from it's history and proximity to NYC...great conditioning and long rough does not a course make.

I've been watching the flyover videos...and every hole looks the same.  In fact, thinking back to 1984 (first PGA even I ever watched on TV) and 2006 opens, as well as the PGA, I can't recall a single hole as being memorable.   Compare that to the some others on eastern Long Island, or even places like Yale GC or Connecticut GC which are dramatic and varied.  Even a muni like Bethpage I could describe a handful of holes ?

Or is it a case of just a tough, straightforward test that can handle the crowds easily?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, John K. said:

Not sure if this article has been discussed yet.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/david-feherty-us-open-conditions-winged-foot

I'd like to see tighter, more penalizing fairways everywhere on tour.  

I don't care if the winning scoring is -10 or +10; I just enjoy seeing pros struggle a bit.   

I agree. I find bomb and gouge golf boring. These guys are professionals and should hit fairways more often than not, and if they don't hit a fairway there should be a consequence. 

Players whining about course conditions reminds me of an interview I saw once with Nicklaus. He was referring to a US Open he played in and the number of players who were complaining about the course. He said when he teed it up on day one, he figured he had only 20 guys to beat. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Here’s a video of the rough. That’s some very shaggy pile

https://mobile.twitter.com/TWlegion/status/1304182076426670085

Wonder how many balls will be lost due to no crowds, potentially fewer spotters (not sure if that will be the case).

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist T200 3 Utility Build Thump 90-X
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

2 hours ago, davep043 said:

Feherty isn't exactly going out on a limb, is he?  Players always whine when conditions are tough.  My personal prediction is that a rather vocal group of WRXers will whine that the USGA has completely botched the course set-up "just like they always do".

Nailed it. Can’t wait to hear from our resident super intendents 

4 hours ago, manku said:

Can someone explain what makes Winged Foot so great...aside from it's history and proximity to NYC...great conditioning and long rough does not a course make.

I've been watching the flyover videos...and every hole looks the same.  In fact, thinking back to 1984 (first PGA even I ever watched on TV) and 2006 opens, as well as the PGA, I can't recall a single hole as being memorable.   Compare that to the some others on eastern Long Island, or even places like Yale GC or Connecticut GC which are dramatic and varied.  Even a muni like Bethpage I could describe a handful of holes ?

Or is it a case of just a tough, straightforward test that can handle the crowds easily?

I think you summed it up with your last thought.  Looking that this the course is not particularly interesting. There could be something that makes it special that cant be seen from space though. I have never been there so I wont judge too much. 

image.png.b7f1a7144d276f20751a05b80d762f93.png

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

6 hours ago, manku said:

I have read it is the green complexes that truly make the course great.

Personally, aka in my opinion, the pros do not whine because the course setup is difficult. They do whine when the course is taken over the edge, like at Shinnecock every d*mn time. When that happens quality is not rewarded. If a great shot is not rewarded it is not a good test. Anyone can set up a course to make the scores go up. Winged Foot, and Olympia Fields a few weeks ago, can be set up in a difficult but fair manner.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

21 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

I have read it is the green complexes that truly make the course great.

Personally, aka in my opinion, the pros do not whine because the course setup is difficult. They do whine when the course is taken over the edge, like at Shinnecock every d*mn time. When that happens quality is not rewarded. If a great shot is not rewarded it is not a good test. Anyone can set up a course to make the scores go up. Winged Foot, and Olympia Fields a few weeks ago, can be set up in a difficult but fair manner.

There's a lot of "rub of the green" on links courses where a good shot gets a bad bounce and you end up in an unplayable lie.  It's been a part of golf since the beginnings of the game.  Everybody who plays in a US Open knows exactly what the USGA is going to do.  You either deal with it or succumb to it.  But it's not their intention to set the course up fairly.  Their intention is to find the best golfer and they believe that the harshest conditions will identify that golfer.  

1 hour ago, widow-maker said:

There's a lot of "rub of the green" on links courses where a good shot gets a bad bounce and you end up in an unplayable lie.  It's been a part of golf since the beginnings of the game.  Everybody who plays in a US Open knows exactly what the USGA is going to do.  You either deal with it or succumb to it.  But it's not their intention to set the course up fairly.  Their intention is to find the best golfer and they believe that the harshest conditions will identify that golfer.  

Yes, I agree links golf is that way. Is a  typical US course designed to play that way though? I think not. Hard is one thing. Silly is another. Do you believe Shinnecock was a good way to identify the best player? Like I posted before anyone can make a course difficult. Links courses still identify the best player. I was at Portrush and it was crazy hard...but great shots were rewarded. The times the US version have essentially lost the course were not good setups. If you enjoy that version of the game you are entitled to your opinion and we can just disagree. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

39 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Yes, I agree links golf is that way. Is a  typical US course designed to play that way though? I think not. Hard is one thing. Silly is another. Do you believe Shinnecock was a good way to identify the best player? Like I posted before anyone can make a course difficult. Links courses still identify the best player. I was at Portrush and it was crazy hard...but great shots were rewarded. The times the US version have essentially lost the course were not good setups. If you enjoy that version of the game you are entitled to your opinion and we can just disagree. 

US Open courses are not typical US course designs.  They aren't meant to be easy.  You don't see green complexes at most US courses that rival what you see at Winged Foot, Oakmont, Shinnecock.  They are not trying to give us a "fair" test of golf.  They want the course to be right on the edge of chaos.  But in the course of doing that, 

it sometimes crosses over the edge.... like Shinnecock.  It becomes survival of the fittest.  That's the US Open.  Why should they change something that is so richly imbued in American golf lore?  Are there people who don't like it?  Sure.  But they don't care.  It's been a huge success because it's a one of it's kind event.  If they made it more like any other tournament, it wouldn't be the US Open.  It's charm is in it's wickedness.   As much as people complain about it, ratings would suggest that they don't stop watching.  It's like gawking at a car accident.  It's the anti-Masters.  And there's nothing wrong with that because they all face the same adversity.  

• Like 2