Lie angle and the sh*nx

I hardly want to post this, but I need some help.

I started getting, what I'll call, the "very quick rights" (if you get my drift), only with my wedges.  All my wedges I hit way off the heel even when hit solid, and then sometimes WAY off the heel, if you get me.  

I'm just wondering if the lie angle of the wedges could be to blame, or length, or most likely, my technique.  I hit everything else with full swings 100% fine, just those clubs with the loft on the bottom giving me trouble.  

G410 10.5* LST -  F9 14.5* - F6 17.5* - G410 23* - i500 5-U - Glide Stealth 56* ( at 55*) and 60* - BG F22

https://Instagram/avgjoesgolf/
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Short length club    Coming over the top -  outside to in swing path   Either catching it flush on the heel[naturally] or shank   Pull out the alignment sticks and hit th

When I really want to drive a wedge in hard and low, I try to keep the hands ahead of the clubhead. Inevitably I throw the hands away from me as I'm coming down trying to keep the hands way ahead.  Re

I would check your...lengths first. Lie second. But thats just me. If you are hitting it off of the heel/hosel, I'm not sure how lie angle will help you all that much.

COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
TAYLORMADE Issue Aeroburner w. Tensei Blue
PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
MannKrafted Carbon WB Rattler
Xenon Copper Wide X
SGC 902

It’s not the club. The bottom of your arc is moving away from you too much. Try addressing the ball and on purpose hit it off the toe. You can also be coming too far from the inside or even releasing too early with a flip. Either way just try to control the bottom of your arc first..

Edited by mufasis

Taylormade M5 10.5* ProForce V2 X
Taylormade M3 15* Tensei Blue X
Callaway Apex 3h Kuro Kage S
Mizuno MP-18 4-P Nippon SPB X
Vokey SM8 52.12F/56.14F/60.04L 1* Flat PX 6.5
Odyssey 33" White Hot Pro Rossi

Poor footwork and leg action leads me to the dreaded Hosel Rocket.  Problem is that there are many causes and for each one of us it can be different.  I definitely agree with the others that poor alignment and/or swing path is the first thing to look at.  If you don't have alignment sticks in your bag get them.  They can work wonders with both alignment and swing path verification if used properly.

TaylorMade M3 440cc 9.5* driver, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
TaylorMade M4 15* (small), Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S
TaylorMade SLDR 2I Hybrid, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8S
Ben Hogan Icon 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
Scratch Golf 50* GW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
Scratch Golf 54* SW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
Scratch Golf 58* LW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff
Byron Morgan custom Epic Day putter

When I really want to drive a wedge in hard and low, I try to keep the hands ahead of the clubhead. Inevitably I throw the hands away from me as I'm coming down trying to keep the hands way ahead.  Result???  You guessed it.  I don't try to hit any regular iron shots that way, and don't get hosel rockets with them. Only wedges I'm trying to hit low.  I have to force my hands to stay in.

• Like 1

J_Tizzle, I feel your pain; I went thru the exact same thing.  Tried lots of bandaids, and worked with a couple of good teaching pros before I got it fixed.

FOR ME, the issue was poor body movement in both directions that was causing the club to come WAY inside on the backswing and making a proper release next to impossible.  In order, my fixes were: 

really focused practice swings paying special attention to where my club was brushing the ground relative to my feet.

a slightly more open stance with my weight slightly forward

a little bit of a turn of my right hip away as a trigger and to create space for the backswing, plus making sure that my shoulders are turning even when I am restricting the backswing

making sure that my last thought is to release the club to a full finish, regardless of the length of the backswing

I'd add that on chips and pitch shots, I make myself walk up to the green and pick my landing spot and then do my best to forget the hole; I think overfocusing on the hole leads to a too-big backswing and then a decel on the downswing, which is fatal.  I want my last thought before I start the swing on those shots to be the landing spot and ONLY the landing spot.

On 9/10/2020 at 9:50 PM, DallasSteve said:

When I really want to drive a wedge in hard and low, I try to keep the hands ahead of the clubhead. Inevitably I throw the hands away from me as I'm coming down trying to keep the hands way ahead.  Result???  You guessed it.  I don't try to hit any regular iron shots that way, and don't get hosel rockets with them. Only wedges I'm trying to hit low.  I have to force my hands to stay in.

This is very much it.  I don't hit em with full swings at all, just short shots i'm trying to drive.

Thanks!

G410 10.5* LST -  F9 14.5* - F6 17.5* - G410 23* - i500 5-U - Glide Stealth 56* ( at 55*) and 60* - BG F22

https://Instagram/avgjoesgolf/

You could literally be set up too close to the ball, i do this myself with wedges, or stood in a too open stance

DRIVER: PXG 0811 X proto 9*

3 WOOD: Adams Tight Lies TI 15*

5 WOOD: Taylormade SLDR 19*

HYBRID: Adams Pro DHY 21 & 24*

IRONS: Ping I500 6-PW

WEDGES: Ping Glide 3.0 50/54*

LOB WEDGE: Titleist SM7 Raw 58*

PUTTER: Odyssey stroke Lab R Ball

BALL: Titleist Pro V1x