I’m Done With Fat Bottom Girls

Carolina Golfer 2

Of course I’m talking about wide sole irons...what did you think i meant ?

I’ve struggled a lot this summer with making clean crisp contact with my irons—T300 and MAVRIK. 

Today our instructor had his demo bag on the range and I stopped by with the new Big Bertha B21 demo set that just came in.  

I had taken my MAVRIK 7 iron down with the intention of getting some Trackman numbers.   I hit mine just Meh!!  Tried a steel and graphite BB B21 and it was chunk city with them.  Not a good shot in the bunch.  

i went to put them in his bag and noticed an I500.   I jokingly said to him “wow here’s an iron I’ve never hit”   As our resident club ho he couldn’t believe it. 

Well a few swings later I couldn’t believe it.  I was hitting crisp shot after crisp shot, most with a bit of a draw.  The numbers were pretty impressive for me.   I was getting 135’ish carry, spin a bit shy of 5,000 height of 68 to 71 feet. 

While those aren’t WRX worthy numbers, and I’m nit trying to say this is a “blades me better post” as these aren’t blades. But, the smash factor snd the feel of contact were so much better. 

Our instructor said, your swing has changed a bit.  You are getting a bit more of a shoulder turn than you did prior, you your angle of attack is a bit steeper and those big soles are killer on that.

it seems to me i was able to make mostly  ball first contact easier with these heads.  I realize a good swing should make ball first contact with any style of club.  But it appears these allow me a bit of a margin for error. 

As luck would have it, i have some irons on the way that fit that style more than either of these. 

Does this make sense?

Edited by Carolina Golfer 2
  • Like 2

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

People should pay more attention to soles and turf interaction.  You're on your way.  Big soles are first and foremost meant to resist digging on fat hits by players with a steep outside in swing.

I'm a sweeper and rarely hit fat.  Big soles are horrid for me.

Edited by Snowman9000
  • Like 2

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

For me, I try to put as much shaft lean on impact as possible which ensures a shallower angle of attack and my swing is universally compatible with all types of irons, regardless of sole width.

• Like 2

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Best sole grind in irons for me ever were the Adams A4 Forged. CB2's were a close second.

2014 Apex from Callaway were pretty god to me as well.

• Like 2

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

3 hours ago, jpbova said:

I have heard TXG say thin soles for sweepers.  Interesting that you would get steeper and need a thinner sole

Yeah. I was actually fit by Ian two years ago and he took me out of the 790s and put me in 565 for that very reason. 

i also should have been more clear.  The biggest chsnge in my swing has been path.  From out go in, to coming from the inside or st worst 1 degree out to in versus previously 6 to 8 out to in.  

and the steepness is more of a shoulder tilt versus a flat shoulder turn previously. 

• Like 1

Vokey

I've went back and forth on this very topic so many times. Thought I was good enough for p790 and i210s. Hit 25% GIRs.  Threw g410s back in the bag and hit 10 greens last round.  Fat bottom girls for life for me...I think. 

• Haha 1

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

On 9/11/2020 at 10:50 PM, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

I’ve struggled a lot this summer with making clean crisp contact with my irons—T300 and MAVRIK. 

Today our instructor had his demo bag on the range and I stopped by with the new Big Bertha B21 demo set that just came in.  

I had taken my MAVRIK 7 iron down with the intention of getting some Trackman numbers.   I hit mine just Meh!!  Tried a steel and graphite BB B21 and it was chunk city with them.  Not a good shot in the bunch.  

i went to put them in his bag and noticed an I500.   I jokingly said to him “wow here’s an iron I’ve never hit”   As our resident club ho he couldn’t believe it. 

Well a few swings later I couldn’t believe it.  I was hitting crisp shot after crisp shot, most with a bit of a draw.  The numbers were pretty impressive for me.   I was getting 135’ish carry, spin a bit shy of 5,000 height of 68 to 71 feet. 

While those aren’t WRX worthy numbers, and I’m nit trying to say this is a “blades me better post” as these aren’t blades. But, the smash factor snd the feel of contact were so much better. 

Our instructor said, your swing has changed a bit.  You are getting a bit more of a shoulder turn than you did prior, you your angle of attack is a bit steeper and those big soles are killer on that.

it seems to me i was able to make mostly  ball first contact easier with these heads.  I realize a good swing should make ball first contact with any style of club.  But it appears these allow me a bit of a margin for error. 

As luck would have it, i have some irons on the way that fit that style more than either of these. 

Does this make sense?

I don't even know who you are anymore...  ?

I'm totally going fat bottomed, with my steep swing and all.  B21's for me!

• Like 1

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

10 hours ago, Tommyj said:

Fat bottom girls make the rockin' world go 'round.  That was Freddie's opinion.

To digress a bit..... Freddie's "opinion" was actually Brian May's as May wrote FBG.  ?

Back on topic...... Don't overthink it. Always play what works for you. Blades, shovels, whatever.  

Edited by grm24
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

$10 says the lie angle was upright on the Ping. 

RomaRo 435LX 10*-Quadra FEX 65SX 

PRGR Egg HD 14.5*-Fubuki 75S 3W
PRGR EGG 20* - M-43S 7 wood

RomaRo iBrid 2 22* - Crazy Hybrid 

Miura PP9003SN 5-G - Modus 125S 

Miura HB12 @ 55* - Modus 125 W

2015 PM Grind 60* - KBS Tour V

Axis1 Rose - Garsen Quad Tour grip

23 hours ago, jpbova said:

I have heard TXG say thin soles for sweepers.  Interesting that you would get steeper and need a thinner sole

They are correct for the most part. Look at any iron progression, short irons have then thinnest soles, long irons thicker, but bounce has a significant role as well.

2 hours ago, Red4282 said:

They are correct for the most part. Look at any iron progression, short irons have then thinnest soles, long irons thicker, but bounce has a significant role as well.

I don't believe this is true....the long irons have always looked to have narrower soles vs. the short irons.....in a set that is.  stand alone wedges likely to have a narrower sole but if you compared 50* to 60* I think you'd find the same thing (considering the same grind).  I always wondered why a 3i was so tiny compared to a scoring iron in the same set.  I realize the loft angle is the main culprit.

10 hours ago, tbowles411 said:

I don't even know who you are anymore...  ?

I'm totally going fat bottomed, with my steep swing and all.  B21's for me!

TB!! I couldn’t hit those to save my life. I’d chunk three in a row and go back to the I500 snd crisp as a brand new $20 bill! 

They were all the same length.  We shall see when my Titleist arrive! 

• Like 1

Vokey

9 hours ago, GBBM said:

$10 says the lie angle was upright on the Ping. 

It was black dot.  I think thats stock isn’t it?

Vokey

On 9/11/2020 at 9:50 PM, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Does this make sense?

If you flip coin one a bunch and coin two a bunch and there are a lot of heads in coin two,  it doesn't mean coin two is meaningfully different.  It means you happened to have good swings while holding that coin (club).

One session, amateur golfer, silly explanation and an instructor who claims they can see a "bit more shoulder turn" with his naked eye.  I note that he only said that *after* you had the results you did, he didn't predict it.  Predicting it is impressive.  Explaining it away after the fact with golf hokum talk isn't impressive.

No, it doesn't make sense.  You hit the good ones with one club in your hand and the bad ones with another.  Club may or may not have something to do with that, and probably not.  Always remember that a broken clock is right twice a day.

Do it another 10-15 times and maybe we can maybe start to think about it being the club.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

37 minutes ago, pinestreetgolf said:

If you flip coin one a bunch and coin two a bunch and there are a lot of heads in coin two,  it doesn't mean coin two is meaningfully different.  It means you happened to have good swings while holding that coin (club).

One session, amateur golfer, silly explanation and an instructor who claims they can see a "bit more shoulder turn" with his naked eye.  I note that he only said that *after* you had the results you did, he didn't predict it.  Predicting it is impressive.  Explaining it away after the fact with golf hokum talk isn't impressive.

No, it doesn't make sense.  You hit the good ones with one club in your hand and the bad ones with another.  Club may or may not have something to do with that, and probably not.  Always remember that a broken clock is right twice a day.

Do it another 10-15 times and maybe we can maybe start to think about it being the club.

Well it was more than one or two swings. Pretty much two buckets if balls.  And this is an instructor that ive worked with off an on for more than a year.  With video as well, so its not a nakes eye, although he’s pretty good with that as well.  The comment wasnt an after the fact thing, its something that goes back since we had our first lesson.  Its just been slow in my coming around.  

But all comments are welcomed and considered, even the ones with a condescending tone.  

• Like 2

Vokey

12 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

It was black dot.  I think thats stock isn’t it?

yeah not sure how their standard translates to other companies but shorter blade length might also be a key factor. A lot of steep players have high hands at impact which leads to a toe-down situation which also has a lot to do with shaft loading  

• Like 1

RomaRo 435LX 10*-Quadra FEX 65SX 

PRGR Egg HD 14.5*-Fubuki 75S 3W
PRGR EGG 20* - M-43S 7 wood

RomaRo iBrid 2 22* - Crazy Hybrid 

Miura PP9003SN 5-G - Modus 125S 

Miura HB12 @ 55* - Modus 125 W

2015 PM Grind 60* - KBS Tour V

Axis1 Rose - Garsen Quad Tour grip

Thin soles for the win! I would class myself as more of a digger than a sweeper but I just can’t work chunky irons. Off the deck give me a old school 3 iron and whilst it might not go as far as some kind of Utility Iron, I am actually going to hit it properly and make good contact.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Turf interaction is the most underrated part of fitting.  That's why I prefer my local GolfTec to club champion if I am looking to check out irons.  They are on a range where grass is available vs. club champion is off a mat no matter what.

I WAS very steep, with a wrist issue I have been forced after surgery to change up my swing.  Going through major growing pains right now, but what used to fit me in the irons does not anymore as far as turf interaction.

No one rule is correct.  Not all steep folks need or can hit a wide sole or thin sole.  Anyone who speaks in absolutes is a Sith Lord and gueeing.  (Reference for all the star wars fans)  Back to being serious though, for me it is all about the leading edge, and always has been.  I was very steep, I played MP-14's, Clevel TA1 and TA3, Bridgestone J33, 36, and 40CB, Srixon 745 and 765.  I started working on shallower swings and smaller divots, and tried going with wider soles, and it has not been a great experiment thus far.  The SUB70 639 and 699 pro have good turf interaction for my move so far, but plan to do more testing.

• Like 2
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

20 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

TB!! I couldn’t hit those to save my life. I’d chunk three in a row and go back to the I500 snd crisp as a brand new $20 bill! 

They were all the same length.  We shall see when my Titleist arrive! 

See that concerns me.  I hit the old Raxr XF's and they were HUGE.  I loved them.  It was like cheating.  That was also almost 10 years ago and the swing has changed and gotten steeper.  I want all the promised forgiveness, but I don't want to start chunking anything.

• Like 1

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

45 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

Turf interaction is the most underrated part of fitting.  That's why I prefer my local GolfTec to club champion if I am looking to check out irons.  They are on a range where grass is available vs. club champion is off a mat no matter what.

I WAS very steep, with a wrist issue I have been forced after surgery to change up my swing.  Going through major growing pains right now, but what used to fit me in the irons does not anymore as far as turf interaction.

No one rule is correct.  Not all steep folks need or can hit a wide sole or thin sole.  Anyone who speaks in absolutes is a Sith Lord and gueeing.  (Reference for all the star wars fans)  Back to being serious though, for me it is all about the leading edge, and always has been.  I was very steep, I played MP-14's, Clevel TA1 and TA3, Bridgestone J33, 36, and 40CB, Srixon 745 and 765.  I started working on shallower swings and smaller divots, and tried going with wider soles, and it has not been a great experiment thus far.  The SUB70 639 and 699 pro have good turf interaction for my move so far, but plan to do more testing.

Giving you a like and a quote for the Sith reference   ?

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

3 hours ago, tbowles411 said:

See that concerns me.  I hit the old Raxr XF's and they were HUGE.  I loved them.  It was like cheating.  That was also almost 10 years ago and the swing has changed and gotten steeper.  I want all the promised forgiveness, but I don't want to start chunking anything.

Well, I wouldn't be too concerned based on my experience or results, I'm certainly no model for anyone ?

I think driveandputtmachine, is spot on when he says there is no one rule to follow, everyone's swing is going to work in different ways often with the same club.   They--meaning the B21 sure do look like they can hit it mile with good contact.  

• Haha 1

Vokey

1 hour ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Well, I wouldn't be too concerned based on my experience or results, I'm certainly no model for anyone ?

I think driveandputtmachine, is spot on when he says there is no one rule to follow, everyone's swing is going to work in different ways often with the same club.   They--meaning the B21 sure do look like they can hit it mile with good contact.  

You are definitely my hero!  LOL

What's funny is the only reason I'm switching is that PING can't seem to fill my order.  I'm not playing nearly as much and am at the "have fun" stage of my career.

• Like 1