Jump to content

“Tiger Woods’ iconic Scotty Cameron putter is on the auction block”


Recommended Posts

Sort of....

 

 

“What would you pay to own a piece of golf history? More specifically, what would you pay for Tiger Woods’ iconic Scotty Cameron Newport 2 GSS putter? The putter Woods used to win 14 major championships is arguably the most important club in the history of the game. Ryan Carey, co-founder of Golden Age Golf Auctions, estimated it could be worth anywhere from $3 to $5 million. Some would claim the putter is priceless. 

 

To be clear, Woods’ gamer isn’t on the auction block. But a backup built to his exact specifications is part of Golden Age Golf Auctions’ latest golf lot. As the story goes, Cameron created one or two backup putters for Woods to test each season, in the event his gamer was damaged or needed to be replaced for some other reason. The 15-time major winner would roll putts on the practice green to ensure it checked out, but it never made an appearance in competition.”

 

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/golf.com/gear/putters/tiger-woods-scotty-cameron-putter-auction/amp/

 

 

 

Also, saw this...

 

“Tiger Woods' Private Putting Lesson Sells for $260K at All in Challenge Auction”

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2891530-tiger-woods-private-putting-lesson-sells-for-260k-at-all-in-challenge-auction.amp.html

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

 

Who hasn't touched his putter?


lol. It’s never been used in tournaments but he’s definitely rolled putts with it.

 

Last backup went for like 90k. 
 

Wonder why he sellin these?
 

Youd think he’d give em to Charlie or something. Kind of like a dad giving his kid an old fishing pole....@Here you go, Charlie, go out back and try this out, I got a bunch of them ; ) “

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bscinstnct said:


lol. It’s never been used in tournaments but he’s definitely rolled putts with it.

 

Last backup went for like 90k. 
 

Wonder why he sellin these?
 

Youd think he’d give em to Charlie or something. Kind of like a dad giving his kid an old fishing pole....@Here you go, Charlie, go out back and try this out, I got a bunch of them ; ) “

 

 

Charlie: "Dad I dont want your old putter.  I want one of those fancy red taylormade putters." 

Edited by USCdrifter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Jay Haas/Bill Haas are about the only modern day father/son where the son actually played as well or perhaps better than dad on the PGA Tour.  Charlie should definitely look to another sport.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, oikos1 said:

Jay Haas/Bill Haas are about the only modern day father/son where the son actually played as well or perhaps better than dad on the PGA Tour.  Charlie should definitely look to another sport.

Yeah he has a better chance going for the NFL?

 

 If likes playing golf he should play golf. 
 

he has as good or better chance than everyone else his age shooting -5

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, oikos1 said:

Jay Haas/Bill Haas are about the only modern day father/son where the son actually played as well or perhaps better than dad on the PGA Tour.  Charlie should definitely look to another sport.

While Bill Haas won the FEC with a great all time shot out of the water at East Lake he still has less wins (Dad 9 wins. Son 6.) than his dad on the PGA Tour. Hope Bill finds his form again after his horrific car accident and can win some more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, bscinstnct said:


 

Someday, TW will give Charlie the 3 elements of the Deathly Hallows of Golf

 

Elder Wand-Original Scotty

 

Invisibility Cloak-Sunday Red Shirt from 2000 US Open

 

Resurrection Stone-??

 

Then, Charlie will be invincible on the course ; )

 

 

 

 

 

962CBEB3-F8D1-40A6-8A1E-654BF3EE39A4.jpeg

 

The Resurrection Stone would be the ball from this shot:

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Maybe this guy will bid on it... 

20200913_102423.jpg.11356b44880c8ba7e374867e16473335.jpg


 

Lol, ok, mock auction

 

On the block, lot #6

 

As described in this article, this is...

 


“THE Scotty Cameron


 

In 1999, Woods started using the Scotty Cameron Newport 2 GSS (German Stainless Steel) prototype putter that he currently uses today. It’s quite possibly the most famous putter in golf, and it would surely go for at least 8 figures if it were to have ever hit an auction table.

 

It famously has a “cherry bomb” red dot on the heel portion of the face, “Tiger Woods” stamped in red on the back bumpers, a single red dot on the topline for alignment, another “cherry bomb” in the back cavity, and it’s equipped with a Ping PP58 grip. After two decades using the putter, he’s worn a spot on the face directly in the sweet spot.

 

Woods has used the putter in 14-of-his-15 major championship victories, and it consistently stayed in the bag from 1999 until 2010, before reemerging in recent years.”

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/golf.com/gear/putters/every-putter-tiger-woods-used-career/amp/

 

 

So, you are all here in person or by phone, a group of millionaires and billionaires with a passion for golf. What do you bid for this club, to have  the pinnacle of golf excellence and history in your hands...

 

 

And we have on opening bid of $3 Million dollars....

 

Do I hear 4 Million?

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bscinstnct said:


 

Lol, ok, mock auction

 

On the block, lot #6

 

As described in this article, this is...

 


“THE Scotty Cameron


 

In 1999, Woods started using the Scotty Cameron Newport 2 GSS (German Stainless Steel) prototype putter that he currently uses today. It’s quite possibly the most famous putter in golf, and it would surely go for at least 8 figures if it were to have ever hit an auction table.

 

It famously has a “cherry bomb” red dot on the heel portion of the face, “Tiger Woods” stamped in red on the back bumpers, a single red dot on the topline for alignment, another “cherry bomb” in the back cavity, and it’s equipped with a Ping PP58 grip. After two decades using the putter, he’s worn a spot on the face directly in the sweet spot.

 

Woods has used the putter in 14-of-his-15 major championship victories, and it consistently stayed in the bag from 1999 until 2010, before reemerging in recent years.”

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/golf.com/gear/putters/every-putter-tiger-woods-used-career/amp/

 

 

So, you are all here in person or by phone, a group of millionaires and billionaires with a passion for golf. What do you bid for this club, to have  the pinnacle of golf excellence and history in your hands...

 

 

And we have on opening bid of $3 Million dollars....

 

Do I hear 4 Million?

 

 

 

 

I definitely wasn't mocking just thought it was a funny relate 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hit a few putts with an identical putter at Fairway Golf in San Diego about a decade ago.  They were asking $35K at the time.

10.5* Ping G400 max w/GD Tour AD IZ-4

16.5* Titleist TS2 FW

21.5* TM M4 FW

22* TM M2 Hybrid

25* TM GAPR Hi

6~U Ping G710 w/recoils

54* Ping Glide 3.0 WS

58* Ping Glide 3.0 EYE2

Scotty Newport 2

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bscinstnct said:


 

Lol, ok, mock auction

 

On the block, lot #6

 

As described in this article, this is...

 


“THE Scotty Cameron


 

In 1999, Woods started using the Scotty Cameron Newport 2 GSS (German Stainless Steel) prototype putter that he currently uses today. It’s quite possibly the most famous putter in golf, and it would surely go for at least 8 figures if it were to have ever hit an auction table.

 

It famously has a “cherry bomb” red dot on the heel portion of the face, “Tiger Woods” stamped in red on the back bumpers, a single red dot on the topline for alignment, another “cherry bomb” in the back cavity, and it’s equipped with a Ping PP58 grip. After two decades using the putter, he’s worn a spot on the face directly in the sweet spot.

 

Woods has used the putter in 14-of-his-15 major championship victories, and it consistently stayed in the bag from 1999 until 2010, before reemerging in recent years.”

 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/golf.com/gear/putters/every-putter-tiger-woods-used-career/amp/

 

 

So, you are all here in person or by phone, a group of millionaires and billionaires with a passion for golf. What do you bid for this club, to have  the pinnacle of golf excellence and history in your hands...

 

 

And we have on opening bid of $3 Million dollars....

 

Do I hear 4 Million?

 

 

 

 

If we’re talking THE wand ?.... my personal estimate is $50mil .  I don’t think there’s a chance on earth you’d walk into that auction with $30mil and have a chance to buy it.      It’s like the car world.   I’ve seen it a hundred times.  Car that was a historical piece . On paper it’s same rare model as others . But this one was owned or raced by so and so and won so and so ..... estimate before auction is 20 % over book because of provenance and after the hammer drops it shatters a record and goes for 8x book value because of history.    Some fat cat golf fan would mortgage his 3rd house to buy this.  Just to say he owned it.  

 

And before somebody says it. I know I know. I think it’s crazy too.  But I have first hand knowledge of a famous actresses long lost  T-Bird being found in the last 2 years by a billionaire , in very bad shape.  He paid very little for it but did take a 10 year search which cost who knows what.  Early appraisal puts it at $3miL . same  car minus her butt prints on the seat is worth maybe $10k.  Maybe , in that condition.  When restored its estimated and insured now for $15 million and the Peterson Museum is already negotiating first dibs on it.  
So I can only imagine what a bidding war that putter would cause.  

 

TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
Artisan   53 59 s400
Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 


Link to post
Share on other sites

What kind of authentication would such putter need?  Once I buy it, what's to secure its status and prove that it's not just a random Scotty?

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bladehunter said:

If we’re talking THE wand ?.... my personal estimate is $50mil .  I don’t think there’s a chance on earth you’d walk into that auction with $30mil and have a chance to buy it.      It’s like the car world.   I’ve seen it a hundred times.  Car that was a historical piece . On paper it’s same rare model as others . But this one was owned or raced by so and so and won so and so ..... estimate before auction is 20 % over book because of provenance and after the hammer drops it shatters a record and goes for 8x book value because of history.    Some fat cat golf fan would mortgage his 3rd house to buy this.  Just to say he owned it.  

 

And before somebody says it. I know I know. I think it’s crazy too.  But I have first hand knowledge of a famous actresses long lost  T-Bird being found in the last 2 years by a billionaire , in very bad shape.  He paid very little for it but did take a 10 year search which cost who knows what.  Early appraisal puts it at $3miL . same  car minus her butt prints on the seat is worth maybe $10k.  Maybe , in that condition.  When restored its estimated and insured now for $15 million and the Peterson Museum is already negotiating first dibs on it.  
So I can only imagine what a bidding war that putter would cause.  

 

 

I feel like THE wand ends up in the World Golf Hall of Fame someday. That's where it belongs but I would be curious to see what it went for. 

  • Like 1

Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05
Titleist 917 F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White 100-X
Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-PW PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 54* S PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 60* M PX 6.0
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ IOmic

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TLUBulldogGolf said:

 

I feel like THE wand ends up in the World Golf Hall of Fame someday. That's where it belongs but I would be curious to see what it went for. 

Agree. That’s where it should go.  On loan from the TW Foundation in exchange for a yearly donation.  

  • Like 1

TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
Artisan   53 59 s400
Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm thankful to have seen and felt his backup putter in my own eyes/hands. while not the original...it's still pretty damn cool.

SIM / 9* (set 1 tick higher loft) / RIPx 65TX tipped 2" playing 44.25" Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2" SIM Max 3H / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now) Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bladehunter said:

If we’re talking THE wand ?.... my personal estimate is $50mil .  I don’t think there’s a chance on earth you’d walk into that auction with $30mil and have a chance to buy it.      It’s like the car world.   I’ve seen it a hundred times.  Car that was a historical piece . On paper it’s same rare model as others . But this one was owned or raced by so and so and won so and so ..... estimate before auction is 20 % over book because of provenance and after the hammer drops it shatters a record and goes for 8x book value because of history.    Some fat cat golf fan would mortgage his 3rd house to buy this.  Just to say he owned it.  

 

And before somebody says it. I know I know. I think it’s crazy too.  But I have first hand knowledge of a famous actresses long lost  T-Bird being found in the last 2 years by a billionaire , in very bad shape.  He paid very little for it but did take a 10 year search which cost who knows what.  Early appraisal puts it at $3miL . same  car minus her butt prints on the seat is worth maybe $10k.  Maybe , in that condition.  When restored its estimated and insured now for $15 million and the Peterson Museum is already negotiating first dibs on it.  
So I can only imagine what a bidding war that putter would cause.  

 


 

50!!

 

I was going to say I could see it hitting 10 pretty fast. Then some back and forth bidding up to 20. Then some guy who “has to have it” says 25. Boom! Gavel, sold. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Newman's Daytona went for $17.8m.

 

I think Tiger Woods to golf is bigger than Paul Newman to horology, but would argue there are more serious players in the watch game than the golf memorabilia one.

910D3 8.5* 
910F 17* 
AP2 (714) 3-PW 
Cleveland 588 Forged 50*/54*/60* 
SC Newport2 Pro Platinum

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:


 

50!!

 

I was going to say I could see it hitting 10 pretty fast. Then some back and forth bidding up to 20. Then some guy who “has to have it” says 25. Boom! Gavel, sold. 
 

 

In fact here’s a clip of the actual negotiations!! $50 million dollars !!!! 
 

 

TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
Artisan   53 59 s400
Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...