2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

“Tiger Woods’ iconic Scotty Cameron putter is on the auction block”

bscinstnct

On 9/12/2020 at 1:07 PM, bscinstnct said:

Someday, TW will give Charlie the 3 elements of the Deathly Hallows of Golf

Elder Wand-Original Scotty

Invisibility Cloak-Sunday Red Shirt from 2000 US Open

Resurrection Stone-??

Then, Charlie will be invincible on the course ; )

962CBEB3-F8D1-40A6-8A1E-654BF3EE39A4.jpeg

That is one nerdy a** golf joke

• Like 1

On 9/13/2020 at 11:39 PM, bladehunter said:

If we’re talking THE wand ?.... my personal estimate is $50mil .  I don’t think there’s a chance on earth you’d walk into that auction with $30mil and have a chance to buy it.      It’s like the car world.   I’ve seen it a hundred times.  Car that was a historical piece . On paper it’s same rare model as others . But this one was owned or raced by so and so and won so and so ..... estimate before auction is 20 % over book because of provenance and after the hammer drops it shatters a record and goes for 8x book value because of history.    Some fat cat golf fan would mortgage his 3rd house to buy this.  Just to say he owned it.  

And before somebody says it. I know I know. I think it’s crazy too.  But I have first hand knowledge of a famous actresses long lost  T-Bird being found in the last 2 years by a billionaire , in very bad shape.  He paid very little for it but did take a 10 year search which cost who knows what.  Early appraisal puts it at $3miL . same  car minus her butt prints on the seat is worth maybe $10k.  Maybe , in that condition.  When restored its estimated and insured now for $15 million and the Peterson Museum is already negotiating first dibs on it.  
So I can only imagine what a bidding war that putter would cause.  

I'm sorry, but no way in hell does a putter approach the price of the most expensive car ever sold ('62 Ferrari 250 GTO).

Edited by forrester_fire

1 hour ago, forrester_fire said:

I'm sorry, but no way in hell does a putter approach the price of the most expensive car ever sold ('62 Ferrari 250 GTO).

Agreed. you guys are smoking crack if you think it goes for more than $2-3MM. $25MM, no chance in Hades.

• Like 1

Paradym 10.5

Epic 3w 15

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titelist T150

Callaway Jaws 5 50*, 54*

Cleve Zip 60*

Ping PLD3/Rahm Rossie S/TP Mills Fleetwood custom

I can't really see this ever going up for auction. 

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

3 hours ago, forrester_fire said:

There’s a bunch of rare cars. 

There’s only one of these.

Like, guy buy they GTO and another guy be like, 

“yeah, I would’ve bought it but I already got the 290 MM and AM dbr1”

But, you got this putter,

Nobody else has anything remotely close. 

Say some billionaires eatin dinner after golf, go get some drinks in the library, and the host is like,

“See that? That the Scotty.”

Other billionaires be so mad ; )

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, dmbolp said:

Just saw on the Golf Channel that Tiger had the putter regripped for the first time, removed the Ping grip and put on a corded grip that appears to be midsize or has extra wraps underneath it.   They mentioned that it's similar to the grip Steve Stricker uses.

Entire thread on it. He used the same type of putting grip in college.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1764744-tiger-woods-new-putter-grip-lamkin-cord/

Edited by grm24

7 hours ago, forrester_fire said:

Hey.  We may never know. But I’m telling you these billionaires have huge egos.    In my business I’ve had the occasion to run across a couple.   Oddly enough most who aren’t famous are unassuming guys.  But they share a trait , and it’s that they will let their ego spend $ on things their rivals want , especially if it’s things that are one off. 

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

17 hours ago, forrester_fire said:

Knowing several billionaires, dropping $50 million, is almost a rounding error for most of these gents. As mentioned, they want to out-do each other in any way possible. They love any and all the fancy, rare items they can get their hands on. What's worse would be if a competing big $ whale,wanted the exact same item.. then it's no holds barred mission to get it first. (one of them told me this gem: "If it drives, floats, f**ks or fly's: Lease it") lol

There's only 1 scotty that has achieved greatness... and if more than one of these types wants it.. it will be a bloodbath.

• Like 2

Titleist....

8 minutes ago, dropkicked said:

Knowing several billionaires, dropping $50 million, is almost a rounding error for most of these gents. As mentioned, they want to out-do each other in any way possible. They love any and all the fancy, rare items they can get their hands on. What's worse would be if a competing big $ whale,wanted the exact same item.. then it's no holds barred mission to get it first. (one of them told me this gem: "If it drives, floats, f**ks or fly's: Lease it") lol

There's only 1 scotty that has achieved greatness... and if more than one of these types wants it.. it will be a bloodbath.

You guys can talk yourselves into a $50 million putter all you want, but the same billionaires are in play when we're talking about exceedingly rare cars, as well.  $5m for the "Elder Wand", tops.

I'll say it one more time:  No piece of golf memorabilia will approach the fetching price of the most expensive car ever sold at auction.  Collectors cars have a far wider market audience than golf equipment.

Edited by forrester_fire

15 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

There’s a bunch of rare cars. 

There’s only one of these.

Like, guy buy they GTO and another guy be like, 

“yeah, I would’ve bought it but I already got the 290 MM and AM dbr1”

But, you got this putter,

Nobody else has anything remotely close. 

Say some billionaires eatin dinner after golf, go get some drinks in the library, and the host is like,

“See that? That the Scotty.”

Other billionaires be so mad ; )

There are not a "bunch" of 250 GTOs; only 33 were ever made.   There may be only one Tiger Woods putter, but it's still a putter.

Edited by forrester_fire
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, forrester_fire said:

You guys can talk yourselves into a $50 million putter all you want, but the same billionaires are in play when we're talking about exceedingly rare cars, as well.  $5m for the "Elder Wand", tops.

I'll say it one more time:  No piece of golf memorabilia will approach the fetching price of the most expensive car ever sold at auction.  Collectors cars have a far wider market audience than golf equipment.

I can assure you.  That 62 250 was not the highest priced car ever sold.  It’s just the highest on record.  

I’ve brokered more car buys for these whales than I can even remember , and most transactions happen in private.  Through a guy like me. I can ship it , appraise it , store it insured , restore it and then resell it.  It’s what I do.  Auctions are where you go to unload things you’re upside down in. to document the loss. Or for giving proceeds to charity which means documentation for tax purposes.  I can’t tell you how many times ive seen a car go through auction and bring less than an offer that I’d had out there for 2 months.  We buy them cheaper at auction all the time due to greed.  

The right guy would buy tigers putter on the down low and youll never known who or how much. ( if it’s ever sold ). If you see it at public auction it will be for tax purposes .  But it won’t bring as much that way.  That’s all a show.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

32 minutes ago, forrester_fire said:

There are not a "bunch" of 250 GTOs; only 33 were ever made.   There may be only one Tiger Woods putter, but it's still a putter.

I did not say there were a bunch. But you just did ; )

Reread what I said, it makes my point.

Cars are typically a nouveau riche thing, guys like Jay Leno or Ian Poulter.

Really rich people get bored of cars, they drive like old Broncos.

Take a guy like Warren Buffet, worth 80 billion, drives a 2014 Cadillac. Or Bill Gates.

Both Augusta members, play bridge together. 

I could see them at Augusta...

”new putter, Bill?”

”yeah, warren, Tigers Scotty. Dropped $50 MM and I still can’t make anything. “

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, forrester_fire said:

I’m not going to argue this any further because I agree it’s impossible to prove either way.  But I wanted to leave you with this.    
 The exact same reason people pay so much for swords proven to be from certain warriors or makers , or for certain famous race cars  , or have museums dedicated to artifacts from lost civilizations is the same reason I believe that putter would command a price never dreamed before.history 

. The idea that you can hold it and be transported in time.  That you might feel a touch of that spirit that it possesses.  It’s certainly been elevated to status from inanimate object to a living thing in most historians minds.  Same as I see with famous race cars .... sit in one and you’re alive for the first time.  Like a fine piece of art.  You can stare at it for weeks and see different things.  Every ding a story .  Every scratch a Medal of Honor .   The mind then wanders to think “ I wonder when it received  that one ... was it pebble , maybe at st Andrews “?    

If a person  has huge stacks of paper that generates more of its own daily.  One might give up a couple stacks to have that hanging in their breakfast nook.  That’s all I’m saying.  Money regenerates itself if watered properly. Only going to be one of those.  That wand played the greatest golf this planets ever going to see. 

that’s how I see it.  But hey. Bargains are bought everyday too.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I’m not going to argue this any further because I agree it’s impossible to prove either way.  But I wanted to leave you with this.    
 The exact same reason people pay so much for swords proven to be from certain warriors or makers , or for certain famous race cars  , or have museums dedicated to artifacts from lost civilizations is the same reason I believe that putter would command a price never dreamed before.history 

. The idea that you can hold it and be transported in time.  That you might feel a touch of that spirit that it possesses.  It’s certainly been elevated to status from inanimate object to a living thing in most historians minds.  Same as I see with famous race cars .... sit in one and you’re alive for the first time.  Like a fine piece of art.  You can stare at it for weeks and see different things.  Every ding a story .  Every scratch a Medal of Honor .   The mind then wanders to think “ I wonder when it received  that one ... was it pebble , maybe at st Andrews “?    

If a person  has huge stacks of paper that generates more of its own daily.  One might give up a couple stacks to have that hanging in their breakfast nook.  That’s all I’m saying.  Money regenerates itself if watered properly. Only going to be one of those.  That wand played the greatest golf this planets ever going to see. 

that’s how I see it.  But hey. Bargains are bought everyday too.  

This 3-foot, stainless steel, by Koons sold for 91MM last year.

64E14C64-25CB-4141-B3A5-4DF6486CCD30.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This has been an interesting read fella's, thank you.  But aren't you forgetting that the putter up for offer is a back-up that's only been in Tiger's hands for maybe a few hours of practice putts?   I'll take the Ferrari all day long and twice on Sunday in this situation. 

Edited by Dr. Block

35 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

This has been an interesting read fella's, thank you.  But aren't you forgetting that the putter up for offer is a back-up that's only been in Tiger's hands for maybe a few hours of practice putts?   I'll take the Ferrari all day long and twice on Sunday in this situation. 

Yea. We know that’s what started the thread. But we changed it to the actual putter a while back.  Loll.  You know how this place is.  Topic schmopic 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

48 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

This 3-foot, stainless steel, by Koons sold for 91MM last year.

64E14C64-25CB-4141-B3A5-4DF6486CCD30.jpeg

Lol.  And I rest my case.  If somebody paid for that , then I need to start saving my doodles for perpetuity .   

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

16 hours ago, dmbolp said:

Just saw on the Golf Channel that Tiger had the putter regripped for the first time, removed the Ping grip and put on a corded grip that appears to be midsize or has extra wraps underneath it.   They mentioned that it's similar to the grip Steve Stricker uses.

Yeah they can not say Lamkin Etched because Golf Pride is a major sponsor on the Golf Channel. GP also makes the Ping Man grip for Ping

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

4 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I can assure you.  That 62 250 was not the highest priced car ever sold.  It’s just the highest on record.  

I’ve brokered more car buys for these whales than I can even remember , and most transactions happen in private.  Through a guy like me. I can ship it , appraise it , store it insured , restore it and then resell it.  It’s what I do.  Auctions are where you go to unload things you’re upside down in. to document the loss. Or for giving proceeds to charity which means documentation for tax purposes.  I can’t tell you how many times ive seen a car go through auction and bring less than an offer that I’d had out there for 2 months.  We buy them cheaper at auction all the time due to greed.  

The right guy would buy tigers putter on the down low and youll never known who or how much. ( if it’s ever sold ). If you see it at public auction it will be for tax purposes .  But it won’t bring as much that way.  That’s all a show.  

The highest at auction, yeah.  The highest ever (publicly known) was also a 250 GTO in a private sale ($70m, I believe). 

I agree; it's a totally speculative topic and neither of us are going to be convinced otherwise unless it's sold and one of us has "told you so" rights.  I'll be the first to admit that, when it comes to one-off objects like art or objects of historical significance, all bets are off.  Especially in an auction setting where it only takes two people who want it badly enough.  I will just say that I would personally be absolutely shocked if it approached seven figures.

Edited by forrester_fire
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, soregongolfer said:

Tiger's putter isn't a piece of golf equipment.  It's a piece of sports history.  If Vegas Dave can sell a Mike Trout baseball card for $3.8 million, I gotta think Tiger's putter is worth much more to a sports memorabilia collector.  

If you look at the highest prices of sold sports memorabilia at auction 

Highest is Babe Ruth’s 1920 jersey for 4.4MM

The next highest priced is MMs 70th HR for 3MM

Another Ruth jersey, the Ali’s gloves he wore vs Patterson.

None spans the number of years and championships obtained as TWs Scotty or could be considered such an important part of so many wins much less historical championship wins.

So, 50MM definitely sounds high. But, I could see things working toward 10MM and then, if you got hedge fund/totally liquid golf fans involved in bidding against each other, who knows. 

0AE050AD-EA4F-41A7-9441-3ED3DB84FD14.jpeg

38F05D10-8EAE-4DDA-B72D-A1775C1EB22B.jpeg

E76C59E8-1805-4668-A851-E1964087ED99.jpeg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, glm said:

I would rather have Ben Hogan's 1 iron that he used in the 1950 U.S. OPEN.

The mystery of Hogan's 1-iron

SO, WHATEVER happened to Ben Hogan's 1-iron?

Well, nobody knows for sure. And never will. All we do know is that somewhere between the fourth round of the 1950 U.S. Open and the next day's 18-hole playoff, it went missing. Along with his shoes, as it turns out. And it remained that way for more than three decades.

In 1973, the executive director of the USGA, P.J. Boatwright Jr., wrote to Hogan asking if he would donate the club to the association's museum. That's when Hogan finally admitted he didn't have it.

Ten years later, club dealer Bobby Farino purchased an old set of MacGregor woods and matching irons for $150 at The Players Championship. Later he found another club, a 1-iron with "Hogan Personal Model" stamped on the face. Priceless.

Farino told former Wake Forest basketball player/coach Jackie Murdock, who was friends with fellow Demon Deacon Lanny Wadkins. So Wadkins, a native Texan like Hogan, was entrusted with returning it to the man who made it famous.

"You could tell it was [Hogan's]," Wadkins said. "If you looked at his equipment, there were giveaways. The flat lie, the firm shaft, the grip. He had a very special way of doing things, especially when it came to his clubs. It all had to be just right.

"He was working in his office when I took it over to him. He knew as soon as he saw it. I said, 'I think I have something that belongs to you.' And he said, 'I haven't seen this in a long, long time.' He couldn't believe it. It was pretty amazing."

Not long after that, Hogan gave it to the USGA for safekeeping. It has been with the USGA ever since. It was brought to Merion 2 months ago for U.S. Open media day. In some ways, it has never left.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.inquirer.com/philly/sports/golf/2013-us-open-merion/20130610_The_mystery_of_Hogan_s_1-iron.html%3foutputType=amp

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 6:28 PM, dmbolp said:

I don’t think that’s factual. He had a new /same grip put on many times.

this is simply a different grip.