2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Nightmare eBay/FedEx experience

Valtiel

This is a complicated one, and I wanted to make everyone aware so you can be on the lookout for the specific set of circumstances that created this nightmare. This will mostly be a FedEx rant with a side of negligent eBay seller and general crazy circumstances. I have been using eBay since 2004 and have always had 100% positive feedback (521 score) as well as managed online sales through eBay for a musical instrument business in the past. I am VERY experienced with eBay and online selling, and I have navigated a few tough situations in the past, but this one is special. The order of events is as follows:

1) Shaft purchased from ebayer "css-stl", user name on here @Techvan4Life in the first week of August. I do not believe he is active here. 

2) Seller uses FedEx apparently via an existing FedEx business account (this creates problems later on). I use a PO Box, which in my experience FedEx will not deliver to, so I attempt to reroute the package to a local FedEx Hub. 

3) FedEx customer support says that I am unable to put in this request, and the seller must do so, apparently due to this shipment being attached to this person's FedEx account. Fine, I ask the seller and he obliges in a timely manner, no problems so far. FedEx tracking updates to show the address change request as it arrives in my state (August 12th), perfect. 

4) The next day, the package is delivered to a different city 90 mins away from me, the city I used to live in (weird?). I contact the seller and he is just a confused as I am. I ask him to look into it and he insists that he did everything correctly on his end (it turns out later that he did). It is Thursday August 13th and he says he will contact his FedEx Rep to figure out what happened. 

5) By Monday August 17th I have received no response from the seller so I contact FedEx customer support myself and have a call tag created for FedEx to retrieve the misdelivered package. Apparently instead of doing this, the seller had just been calling people within FedEx trying to figure out what happened. Kind of frustrating since he should have done exactly what I did but back on the 13th, but at least he was doing something. He provides me with the contact information on August 21st for some "manager" within FedEx who wants me to reach out to her. I explain the situation to her up to that point and generally just receive fairly standard, canned responses that aren't really helpful and provide no new information.

6) The call tag that was on August 17th created after my call to customer support was apparently either not correctly followed up on, or was followed up on and not properly escalated through their normal process (more on this later). They were apparently unable to retrieve the package and I receive a call from the local FedEx Hub (more on THEM later) saying that it was due to the evacuations in the area from the CZU lightning complex fire, which at the time was escalating and at 0% containment. The supposed delivery location of the package was in an area that evacuated after FedEx supposedly attempted to retrieve the package. I'm not sure if any attempts were actually made. I am unable to reach the gentleman that left me the message with this information and am unable to for the next 10+ days. He did however reference a location that sounded like my old address (WEIRD?) that I have not lived at since November of last year (more on this below). Exhaustion, stress from the growing fire 5 miles south of me, frustration at the situation, and 100+ degree temperatures are starting to make me believe that this is all a fever dream. ?

A quick aside here; the combination of COVID-19 and these historic fires were likely a factor in all this mess, but even without the fires there was still massive screw ups on FedEx's side which I will get to below. However, at this point I am allowing plenty of leeway for the exceptional nature of what is going on in the area. I myself was in an evacuation zone north of the fire (no damage though, bless the Firefighters who held it at Loma Mar/Pescadero. I have kept the seller apprised of all the details along the way, but have not received any kind of response from since he provided me with the FedEx contact above.  

7) I now have to wait until the evacuation order is lifted from the area before attempting to restart the entire process of recovering the package. The area remains evacuated for the next week and ALL subsequent attempts to contact the local FedEx Hub after that are met with either an answering machine (all during normal business hours) or with people who do not seem to understand what happened and are unable to help. The most information I was able to get was that I (the receiver) am not able to put in another request to retrieve the package and that the shipper (the seller) must place it. Now per above, the seller has not responded to any of my follow up messages about the situation and the last communication from him was on August 21st and it is now August 28th. My subsequent messages asking for him to follow up with FedEx go unanswered. Subsequent calls to the FedEx Hub to try to get more information are met with answering machines. 

8 ) I actually contact my old landlord via text message in hopes of reaching out directly to the new tenants at my old address to see if I can just go pick up the package myself and bypass all of this insanity. I give her a condensed version of the situation, and she responds with something that doesn't make sense and does not clarify when asked what she meant. I am pretty sure at this point I am simply not meant to have this package, lol. 

9) I PHYSICALLY DRIVE to my old address despite feeling uncomfortable doing so because I feel like it is my only option at this point, and I speak to the current tenant who does not seem to think any package of my description has been delivered there, but that his roommate (not there I guess?) would have been the one who received it. I thank him and drive home. 

10) More messages (all professional) to the seller go unanswered and more calls to the FedEx Hub are met with answering machines. We are well in to September at this point and it does not look great. I keep calling the hub and FINALLY end up speaking to the supervisor who is extremely helpful and knowledgeable. He looks in to everything up to that point and provides me with the following information:

*When the first delivery address change request was put in (August 12th) the package went from having an address to NOT having an address. Someone at FedEx screwed up.

*FedEx then dug up my old address from USPS (apparently they piggyback off of their data for things like this) and slapped that on the box. They have a QA department that is supposed to catch these sorts of things and reach out to the recipient to make sure the address is correct/up to date. This did not happen.  

*Then after it was delivered to my old address, the call tag that I had issued to retrieve it was not entered in to their system properly and the supervisor I was speaking to said that it never came across his desk to follow up on. Wow. 

*He also said that because this FedEx shipment is tied to a FedEx account, any action that they take requires the approval of the shipper, whom they have attempted to reach and not heard back from (surprise).  

*This supervisor says he is going to get with the delivery driver and see if they can sort this out. I have not yet heard back. 

11) Today I have finally opened a case with eBay who thankfully said "This was not delivered to your address so we will open a case and give you a refund if the seller does not make this right", so at least I have that. If the seller wants his product back or compensation then he will have to deal with FedEx. 

I am pretty sure this shaft is cursed at this stage anyway so even if I do manage to get it, I don't know that I even want it lol. Moral of the story, be very careful when it comes to calling audibles with FedEx, especially if you are dealing with a situation where the shipper is using a FedEx account, because you will be at the mercy of the shipper calling the shots. If you made it this far, thank you lol.          

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

13 hours ago, JoseR said:

Terrible situation all around, hope u keep ur sanity with all that goin on. Im in the bay area and am getting stir crazy being inside with all the terrible air quality. Hope everyone reading this stays safe and sane!

Thanks man, I hope you are well too! 

I realized part way through writing all that mess above that I mostly just wanted to get it out of my head, haha. In the grand scheme of things, and even the NOT so grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter. It it just fascinating to see how badly a system can break down when under pressure, and I figured that if just one person is saved a headache like this by reading about it then it is worth the effort. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Bridgestone 

Didnt know you could ship to a PO Box?

Callaway Epic Max 10.5 Mitsubishi AVBlue 65 S
Callaway Paradigm HL 3 wood Hazardous Silver 60S
Callaway Rogue ST 5 wood Mitsubishi Tensi Blue AV

Ping I25 4-LW ZZ65 

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 2013

Bridgestone B RX
God Bless America

Stay Free

13 hours ago, brew4eagle said:

If FedEx doesn't deliver to a PO Box, how was the original label even created?  Or was it to be delivered by USPS at the end via SmartPost?

2 hours ago, bigeasy said:

Didnt know you could ship to a PO Box?

This is something that has puzzled me as well. The last time something was shipped to me via FedEx like this, it simply bounced of the post office several times with a generic "could not be delivered" message in the tracking info. Thankfully I caught it in time before it was returned to the sender, but why FedEx even lets this happen in the first place is confusing to me.

@brew4eagleI am familiar with SmartPost, but I don't think that was the service used here. According to FedEx's FAQ, that is the only FedEx service that will deliver to a PO box since it uses USPS for the delivery leg. Definitely frustrating. 

Edited by Valtiel

Bridgestone 

There's only way proper way for this to end - you get the shaft and you hit it like sh*t.  Sorry for all your problems here.  Hope it ends well.

• Haha 2

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

22 hours ago, Poolparty said:

What kinda shaft? ?

The one I, like an idiot, prematurely stuck in my signature as I was planning on putting it in my 1-iron. Lesson learned, hah. 

20 hours ago, the bishop said:

There's only way proper way for this to end - you get the shaft and you hit it like sh*t.  Sorry for all your problems here.  Hope it ends well.

That would indeed be the most fitting ending, haha. 

I finally got a call back from the helpful guy at the FedEx Hub and they dispatched both the route driver and the route manager on separate occasions to attempt to recover the package and the tenants are still adamant that they don't have it. The driver did specifically recall delivering the package so either the tenants stole it or it was stolen from their porch during the evacuation (looters in the area were a concern). The seller is still silent and assuming he remains that way until the 18th, eBay will grant me a refund and the seller will have to get his money back through FedEx. 

Bridgestone 

Final update, and i'll have a question for anyone that as read this thread after this. The seller never responded to the case eBay opened, and the auto generated case message was sent after 3 business days that gives me the option to either close the case (if a resolution was reached) or ask eBay to step in, obviously I chose the latter. I received a customer support email stating that they were giving the seller 3 more business days to provide proof of resolution (tracking information, a dispute case with the shipper etc etc) and apparently this was what it took to get a response from him. However, the case resolution stated that the seller provided proof that the item had been delivered, meaning that he just sent them the old tracking info showing delivery to the wrong address likely just hoping this would go away. I responded to this, and eBay gave me a refund. 

So the question is, does this deserve negative feedback or not? Obviously it is not the seller's fault that FedEx royally screwed this whole thing up, but the fact there was zero communication/response from him once the problems arose despite needing his cooperation to fix it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The guy has 100% positive feedback so it seems likely he is one of those "everything is fine as long as everything is fine" types of sellers. Thoughts? 

Bridgestone 

I agree with the lack of communication being an issue, but I'd also be a bit upset if I was the seller as I assume the item was addressed to the paypal-linked address and then the buyer attempted to divert the package elsewhere.  Not that the buyer did anything wrong per se, but just looking at it neutrally from the outside.  From the seller's perspective all was well until the buyer contacted FedEx.  So I'm not sure how much responsibility the seller bears for trying to make something right at that point, although I certainly would have been heavily involved as a seller to protect my own interests as much as the buyer's.  Long way of saying I don't think I'd leave negative feedback, just walk away happy I got a refund.

• Thanks 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

1 hour ago, brew4eagle said:

I agree with the lack of communication being an issue, but I'd also be a bit upset if I was the seller as I assume the item was addressed to the paypal-linked address and then the buyer attempted to divert the package elsewhere.  Not that the buyer did anything wrong per se, but just looking at it neutrally from the outside.  From the seller's perspective all was well until the buyer contacted FedEx.  So I'm not sure how much responsibility the seller bears for trying to make something right at that point, although I certainly would have been heavily involved as a seller to protect my own interests as much as the buyer's.  Long way of saying I don't think I'd leave negative feedback, just walk away happy I got a refund.

Valid points. Part of me was initially frustrated that a FedEx service that likely would not deliver to my address was used, but after speaking at length with the awesome supervisor at the hub in my area, it sounds like this is something extremely inconsistent on FedEx's side and as such I couldn't really expect the seller to know that. 

It was the last part that really just rankled me, providing the original tracking info as proof of delivery that he 100% knew was incorrect since it was the entire reason this whole mess got started. And I agree with you and would have been the same re: being heavily involved as a seller to protect my own interests as much as the buyer. I guess i'll sit on it for awhile.  

Bridgestone 

8 hours ago, ELL92399 said:

What was the address linked to your PP account?  The PO Box or your old one?

The PO box. I also thought at first that maybe my old address was linked somewhere/to something in my eBay or PayPal and that somehow a wire got crossed there with the seller, but he only ever had my shipping address (the PO box) and the FedEx Shipping Center address I gave him to redirect the package. The hub supervisor in my area confirmed to me that the old address came from FedEx fetching it from a USPS database when they lost the address information during the reroute request. Why they didn't just reach back out to the shipper to recover that information I have no clue, seems like a bad process. 

Bridgestone