2020 Cambia Portland Classic

18majors

Three players in the top eight looking for their first LPGA wins. Is someone going to play spoiler? Conditions are ripe for scoring, so I guess it's possible for Chella, and the players at -6 to make a charge, but I think this is going to be a shootout from the top eight.

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Shootout of the top eight? Sure looks like it. First time winners on the LPGA would be Yealimi Noh, Amy Olsen and Mel Reid (who won 6 times on the LET). We've seen some unlikely first time winners on the LPGA recently, so not at all impossible. And I guess there is the hunger factor for a first win. 

Eight good golfers can't all crash simultaneously on the closing holes - someone is going to keep posting birdies and hold it together. Mel Reid is on fire right now - can she keep the fires burning? Yealimi Noh would be nice!! I always loved Amy Yang's swing and personality but she isn't a ruthless machine in the last round. I think it's just going to be "wait and see".....

Sophia Popov is playing quite well - 71, 69. Good to see. But she's already 27 and I don't know if she has any more LPGA wins in her. But she will always have that one unforgettable win. 

Edited by pmcuk
  • Like 3

I'm a bit surprised by a number of players who missed the cut, including Stacy, In Gee, Ariya (back injury?), and Sung Hyun. Gabriela also missed the cut, along with a few rookies. 

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

14 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I'm a bit surprised by a number of players who missed the cut, including Stacy, In Gee, Ariya (back injury?), and Sung Hyun. Gabriela also missed the cut, along with a few rookies. 

Missing cuts

"Chun In Gee struggled on the green with 32 consecutive putts in the first and second rounds. In the second round, the fairway landing rate was 85.7% (12/14) and the green hit rate was 66.7%.

On the other hand, Park Sung-hyun's iron shot was shaken so much that the green hit rate was only 50%, and the number of putts was 29."

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

I’ve found that Stacy is jinxing herself. In her pre-tournament interview before the Open she talked about hiw much she loves links golf, how much her caddie ha shelped her understand it yada yada yada and misses the cut. Pre-tournament interview says practice on the course isn’t so important since she knows the course because she’s had good results and is a past champion. Misses the cut. In a way it’s like counting your chickens before they hatch. She should let her play do the talking.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mallrat said:

I feel like Mel is one person everyone either can or does root for. 

Mel doesn’t do it for me anymore. I was kind of a fan but then her decision to let her personal life speak louder than her golf soured me on her. And the fact the LPGA was like Oh guess what everyone? We have a lesbian on our tour! The ardent fan could probably name 20 on tour  and probably up to 40 with retired players and not by guessing or speculating but because the players are open about it on social media and such and the casual fan still thinks half the tour is composed of lesbians. It disappointed me Mel would lend herself to that when she herself had been open about her relationships with women on social media. Don’t think there are many Family Guy fans on here but its like when Peter Griffin felt the need to tell everyone he was fat. Something that was pretty obvious. 

She does seem fun. Laura Davies described her as a big drinker. But I would still take Dame Laura, Charley, or Georgia over Mel.

Edited by fredogolfer
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Stooch said:

Many players have the chance to grab it today but I'd fear Amy Yang much like Mirim, she can drop a final round ya, although her result have been kinda lackluster this year so far.

I think Amy and Hannah Green will have the edge here going into the last day... But again, what do I know, all my picks have gone by the wayside, even if everyone made the cut LOL.   

• Like 2

Well, that didn't work out the way I thought it would.  But Georgia deserved it!

• Like 4

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Well it's all over.  It was nice to Georgia win again.  I was surprised somewhat to see her close the gap as much as she did and then win the playoff.  I suspected that she would win the playoff -- mostly as a byproduct of having experienced the Solheim Cup pressure and the pressure of bringing home the win at the AIG Women's Open.   I was somewhat surprised to see Mel Reid fall off as quickly as she did.  She has won before (LET) so it shouldn't have been a new experience for her, but perhaps being on the LPGA instead of the LET was just a little bit more added pressure.  

And, it is also worth mentioning that it was nice to see some of the European players, those that all played on the LET before coming over to the LPGA, at the top page of the leaderboard at the start of play.  Mo Jutanugarn has a terrific round today and only came up 1 shot short of a playoff.

• Like 2

Well, so much for a first time winner. I wasn't expecting the charge from Ashleigh, but she sure made it interesting. Congrats to Georgia. Cluthch up and down on the 2nd playoff hole. 

Nice to see Yealimi snag a USWO slot. 

Mel and Amy played tight all round. There were birdies to be had.

Danielle had a nice round today, tying Ashleigh for low round of the day.

Best finish ever for Robynn at T5. A rookie in 2018, this was her 2nd top 10.

• Like 4

Well, "coming out" used to be a big thing. But like you, my reaction was "So what?". It's not 1975.

But her golf today was just more of what I have seen from Mel Reid in the past. I have not seen the 6x LET winner, only the never LPGA winner. Put her with Amy Olsen. But I wouldn't mind seeing either of these players overcome the mental aspects of their games to win.

• Like 1

I was listening to the commentary on the Tour de France, where there were unlikely winners from Slovenia. There was speculation that Coronavirus had disrupted the athletes' routine training and thrown up some new faces that had done much better at preparing themselves during lockdown, both physically and mentally.

I don't know if anyone thinks this is a factor for the more "unlikely" winners this season. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pmcuk said:

I was listening to the commentary on the Tour de France, where there were unlikely winners from Slovenia. There was speculation that Coronavirus had disrupted the athletes' routine training and thrown up some new faces that had done much better at preparing themselves during lockdown, both physically and mentally.

I don't know if anyone thinks this is a factor for the more "unlikely" winners this season. 

It's a topsy turvy season alright. 

However, every season seems to have its share of "unlikely" winners. Katherine in 2017, Pernilla in 2018, Hinako in 2019, etc. 

• Like 2

Congrats to Georgia, Ash let it get away, with that short miss in extra's.  Georgia almost let that one slip away, on the 18th, she shoulda put that one in the middle of the green but no harm no foul and she got it done.  They said on the broadcast she didn't know her position on 18, kinda a rookie mistake between her and her caddie IMO

• Like 3

5 hours ago, pmcuk said:

I think there's some truth to it.  With all the different countries and different lockdown rules it could have definitely played a part in how you were able to prepare.  I know with Brooke, she wouldn't have been able to get on to a golf course till sometime in June and she came out really off her game.  Each passing week she got better and better and probably still not happy and on with her putt'ing.  By the sound of things, if Minjee or any of the Aussie girls were back home they wouldn't be able to practice right now and wouldn't have for the past  few weeks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stooch said:

Congrats to Georgia, Ash let it get away, with that short miss in extra's.  Georgia almost let that one slip away, on the 18th, she shoulda put that one in the middle of the green but no harm no foul and she got it done.  They said on the broadcast she didn't know her position on 18, kinda a rookie mistake between her and her caddie IMO

I'm glad they were able to conduct and finish this tournament with so many strikes against them.  All hail LPGA and everyone who helped to put it together.

Unfortunately, not on live TV hurt them.  It almost felt like they played in the dark and didn't have the usual buzz!

• Like 4