George Knudson's swing theories/technique...applicable to 11 hdcp. player???

First, let me say that Knudson, to me at least, had THE most beautiful swing to watch REPEATEDLY, that I've ever seen.  It's almost performance art, without going too over the top (I don't mean the over-the-top golf swing error; rather, over the top as in gushing too much about George's swing...hahaha!).  So naturally, I really loved his book "The Natural Swing", in which he espoused what he did and his theory on how to most effectively and efficiently swing a golf club....and I put it in play a couple years back for awhile, but for some reason got away from it as I continued to search for the "secret" (you know, the one that doesn't exist!).  Went to more of the centered rotation around the spine-type move (Leadbetter/Bazalgette) vs. the weight shift back and thru "dance" that Knudson/Ballard prefer.  Well, without belaboring the point, suffice it to say that while I've had success with the rotation around the spine swing, my low back (particularly the hip area) won't take it, and I need to go back to the easier-on-the-back Knudson/Ballard load-into-the-inside-of-the-leg-and-transfer-weight-forward (along w/ some rotation during the "unloading" phase)-type swing.

So, Knudson says that the arms simply "ride along" w/ the movement created by the legs transferring weight back and thru, and are passive in that you don't TRY or MAKE the arms/hands do anything.  That is different from saying that arms/hands DON'T do anything, but Knudson's theory says that what the arms/hands do happens when the golfer simply LETS those things happen, vs. consciously DOING them.  Using physics of inertia and centrifugal force, he believes plane and arc of the club is built into the design of the golf club and the swing motion of transferring weight w/ the legs and feet. 

Thusly, my question is...would an 11 hdcp. player be able to trust those ideas?  Obviously, I wouldn't be an 11 hdcp. if what my arms/hands/trunk/etc. were doing were entirely correct.  Or perhaps they WOULD BE correct if I consistently follow Knudson's ideas?  Would be interested to see thoughts of those who swing "the Knudson way" if it is a long-term philosophy that can be practically applied?  What have you found it particularly helped?  What have you found to be any disadvantages?  I know that since re-implementing his method, when I do it right, the shots are uncannily accurate and precise. 

Edited by jc4birdie
  • Like 1
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My home course ?    Now called Highlands Links , it’s so cool to watch and see how different the course was back then compared to today.    And what a clinic of ball striking it

George was my coach from an early age. I met him when he was in his forties, fading out of his Tour career. GREAT guy and one of the most important people in my life. He professed "passive" hands and

I was lucky enough to work in the pro shop at the club where George had his school and got to go through the school in the summer of 1986.   I think his method is applicable to "all golfers,

Posted Images

This is going to be one man's opinion, and just from my personal experience.  So take those grains of salt.

Knudson's stuff is very, very similar to Jimmy Ballard in that it's a swing that is about coiling and uncoiling the lower body, while the upper body stays "connected", and, if not passive, at least less active.  There are two HUGE misunderstandings about this; one is the idea of coiling/weight shift vs. a sway, and the other is what connection for the trail arm actually means.  Putting those two things aside, and assuming that both are being done correctly, it is a great way to swing a golf club with relatively little stress on the body, IMO.  I played that way for many, many years.

I do feel, though, that there is a larger element of timing involved when you are basing your swing on the feeling of getting to the right side and then back to the left with your leg action as opposed to a more conventional shoulder turn based swing.  As I aged (I'm 68 now) I just found that there were days when I couldn't time that up very well (or at all!) and just never really got back to my left side completely; the result of that is ALWAYS going to be throwing your upper body up and around to get it out of the way, leading to a lot of blocks and thin iron shots.  That is a real disconnection, and not at all what either Ballard or Knudson taught, but at least to me, it's a real problem with that swing.  I still had days where I was fine, but my bad days got MUCH worse, unacceptably so, and I became extremely inconsistent day to day. 

Before any Ballard of Knudson guys flame me, remember that I said that this was ME.  And it wasn't a fly-by-night thing; I played that way for 25 years, and worked with a couple of Ballard-trained instructors during that time as well.  I've had Knudson's book and video for decades, too.  And I played well that way, well enough to win my senior club championship in 2007 when I was 55.  Again, it was great until it wasn't, and when it wasn't anymore, I just couldn't get it fixed well enough to be consistent.

Your mileage may vary.

George was my coach from an early age. I met him when he was in his forties, fading out of his Tour career. GREAT guy and one of the most important people in my life. He professed "passive" hands and allowing the swing motion to have a starting form and finishing form. His goal was to take things from conscious and bridge things to subconscious as quickly as possible. He had plenty of technical, conscious thoughts while developing his game, but he realized that didn't do him much good during tournament play. There are some things you should spend time to get right; grip, stance, posture, routine of stepping into the ball, but his simple, "swing the weight of the club to a finishing form," is a beautiful way to play. Good luck. 

• Like 3

"I just found that there were days when I couldn't time that up very well (or at all!) and just never really got back to my left side completely; the result of that is ALWAYS going to be throwing your upper body up and around to get it out of the way, leading to a lot of blocks and thin iron shots."

Are you sure you're not actually ME????  ?  Those misses (and lots of hooks, which are block swings w/ a closed clubface, in reality) are what led me to move away from Knudson/Ballard, w/ the thought that I'd be moving around less on the ball.  Again, MY experience, and mine only...but the thin shot has always been my miss, regardless of my swing du jour.

4 minutes ago, HitSomeMissSome said:

George was my coach from an early age. I met him when he was in his forties, fading out of his Tour career. GREAT guy and one of the most important people in my life. He professed "passive" hands and allowing the swing motion to have a starting form and finishing form. His goal was to take things from conscious and bridge things to subconscious as quickly as possible. He had plenty of technical, conscious thoughts while developing his game, but he realized that didn't do him much good during tournament play. There are some things you should spend time to get right; grip, stance, posture, routine of stepping into the ball, but his simple, "swing the weight of the club to a finishing form," is a beautiful way to play. Good luck. 

And it's a PLEASURABLE way to play when your timing is "on", for sure.  In my first round back w/ Knudson's theory as my only mental focus, I hit some absolutely beautiful shots that came off darned near perfectly and were effortless (I can think of a few drivers, 3-4 hybrids, and a couple short irons immediately come to mind)....of course, some didn't (and I couldn't have putted it in the ocean yesterday, but I digress).  Which kinda motivated my question, as a Ballard-mentored teaching pro (and a fairly well-known one, too) told me a couple years back that George's motion was SO PERFECT that he didn't have to try and do anything other than shift weight back and thru w/ his feet & legs....implication being that it might not be for an average guy whose "other" body parts weren't doing all the right things, at least w/ the degree of purposeful non-attention to anything other than leg/foot action that Knudson performed. 

1 minute ago, jc4birdie said:

And it's a PLEASURABLE way to play when your timing is "on", for sure.  In my first round back w/ Knudson's theory as my only mental focus, I hit some absolutely beautiful shots that came off darned near perfectly and were effortless (I can think of a few drivers, 3-4 hybrids, and a couple short irons immediately come to mind)....of course, some didn't (and I couldn't have putted it in the ocean yesterday, but I digress).  Which kinda motivated my question, as a Ballard-mentored teaching pro (and a fairly well-known one, too) told me a couple years back that George's motion was SO PERFECT that he didn't have to try and do anything other than shift weight back and thru w/ his feet & legs....implication being that it might not be for an average guy whose "other" body parts weren't doing all the right things, at least w/ the degree of purposeful non-attention to anything other than leg/foot action that Knudson performed. 

As I type this note, my subconscious training allows my fingers to hit keys faster than my conscious thought. Thank you grade 7 typing class... You still have to train in some good stuff. I'd type like crap if is wasn't for the teacher who made us all do simple drills to cross the sub/con bridge to performance. Yes, typing is performing:) Do the small things well and the big things can be creative and meaningful. 

• Like 1

I think it depends on the player.  Body weight shift doesn't work for me

My best golf is played thinking about a shallower hand path or movement of my left shoulder, YMMV

Ping G400 Max Graphite Design AD XC 6x

Ping G400 5w Blueboard ion 73x G400 7w GD PM902s

Callaway Apex 4h 23* KK Slvr 80x Apex 5h 26* Fubuki 82x

Srixon ZX7 4 - PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120s
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD 56*M, & Vokey Special 60*P

Scotty GoLo 7

I enjoyed his book... the most important thing I feel was his emphasis on the intent to be swinging towards a target - not trying to make some kind of 'good' golf swing by position after position.

I've recently come across Zen Golf Mechanics on YouTube - lots of use of a rocker board to get footwork and movement... looks like it really helps a golfer to unclutter his mind and get back to just swinging towards a target with the body and ability they have.

His method if followed is a very good way to 'de-clutter' your mind.  It is very easy to think about too much during the swing, and focusing on a particular position, or feel, often slows us down and has an impact on our timing.  I really like his stuff and read his book frequently.  This video,..ignore the cheesy production value, is full of gold I think.  Golf, like any sport is best played as a reaction...for instance, a batter doesn't think about mechanics when he is swinging, but rather reacts to the moving ball...a hockey player shooting a one timer reacts to a moving puck.  Where golf is different is that the ball is stationary which gives us time to think and the thinking can slow us down.  Reacting to the target is a way to free the motion up.

Edited by DShepley
  • Like 1

I was lucky enough to work in the pro shop at the club where George had his school and got to go through the school in the summer of 1986.

I think his method is applicable to "all golfers,  left or right handed, male or female, young or old." Any skill level.

I remember Knudson once saying that, because his stuff is based on physics, laws of motion, he didn't consider it his theories but THE theories for swinging a club. 

It's too bad George died at 51. He was just scratching the surface as a teacher, coach. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, DShepley said:

His method if followed is a very good way to 'de-clutter' your mind.  It is very easy to think about too much during the swing, and focusing on a particular position, or feel, often slows us down and has an impact on our timing.  I really like his stuff and read his book frequently.  This video,..ignore the cheesy production value, is full of gold I think.  Golf, like any sport is best played as a reaction...for instance, a batter doesn't think about mechanics when he is swinging, but rather reacts to the moving ball...a hockey player shooting a one timer reacts to a moving puck.  Where golf is different is that the ball is stationary which gives us time to think and the thinking can slow us down.  Reacting to the target is a way to free the motion up.

Funny you posted that video.  I refer to it often on YouTube; to me it's a tome of golf instruction, right up there w/ Hogan's book and Jimmy Ballard's book.  That T-Square George is "fit" into in that scene includes him discussing something I've never heard in golf instruction before....George refers to his heels being the "target line".  But you know what?  I was working at the range at lunchtime, and I set up my alignment stick on my heel-line before addressing the ball, and if I struck it well, sure enough, it was right on that line.  And you can see several shots in this video where from DTL where George's heels definitely are on the line that the ball flies.  I've always followed traditional instruction and used the imaginary line between my target and my intermediate target that my OTHER alignment lies on as the target line....and well-struck shots have typically been 10 or so yards LEFT of the target, with me visualizing and setting up the target line that way in my mind.  Now, I'm not sure if this is more optical illusion than reality, but w/ the "inside stick" on the heel-line going to the target and the "other stick" parallel (and visually about 5-10 yds right of the target, based on the shot distance), I was on that "inside stick" all day in terms of ballflight.  Like I said, I've never heard this in any golf instruction other than this video.  Perhaps George played a draw, and so this was an allowance to keep everything "natural", as he'd say it (my ballflight is a draw too, a hook when struck poorly).

Edited by jc4birdie
4 hours ago, Arnsybill said:

I was lucky enough to work in the pro shop at the club where George had his school and got to go through the school in the summer of 1986.

I think his method is applicable to "all golfers,  left or right handed, male or female, young or old." Any skill level.

I remember Knudson once saying that, because his stuff is based on physics, laws of motion, he didn't consider it his theories but THE theories for swinging a club. 

It's too bad George died at 51. He was just scratching the surface as a teacher, coach. 

If you can find it online, there is a Shell Wonderful World Of Golf that he played at Cape Breton Highlands where he put on a display of ball striking.  I love watching his swing!

Also, there is cool....and there is George Knudson Cool!  Harry Higgs has nothing on this deep V!!!  Golf needs more 5 button shirts.  Also...when he finished second in the Masters in 1969, he wore his sunglasses in the Butler Cabin interview....total Bad*SS move!

image.png.4b2bfd2acd032cd01daebf89205bb9b0.png

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, CB67 said:

My home course ? 

Now called Highlands Links , it’s so cool

to watch and see how different the course was back then compared to today. 

And what a clinic of ball striking it was from Knudson as you said. 

So good!  12 years ago my now wife and I eloped and got married in Newfoundland.  It was supposed to be at Humber Valley Resort, (another amazing course), but unfortunately it went bankrupt while we were on the ferry.  The good news is that we met the owner at the gates and I got to play it with my friend who I invited as my witness,  as the only two players on the course, (it hadn't been cut for a couple days), because he felt bad about our story.   In the end...the bankrupt / elopement story actually makes for a funny memory and we still laugh about it.  Anyway...on our drive back to Ontario we did the Cabot Trail through Cape Breton and I pleaded with my wife to play Highlands since it was the number 1 course in Canada in the Score Golf rankings at the time.  I lost that battle but the compromise was that we stopped and the pro shop gave us a cart to drive around to tour the course with a couple beers.  Such a great property....I really am a sucker for a great Stanley Thompson track and even without playing it, I could see the shot values and how you would need to think your way around.  I have plans to get back there and play the courses on the loop,..Highlands, Bell Bay, Cabot Links and Cabot Cliffs.  It's such a great destination now and there are no better people in the world I think than you find in Cape Breton and the East coast of Canada!  On our way back, I also had a really fun round joining as the odd ball fourth in a threesome of seniors in their league play at the Antigonish Golf Club.  I hit my first ball with my shoes untied as I was running to catch up while they were a bit tepid of having company....we became quick friends after I made birdie on 3 of the first 5 or something like that, (I played from their tees), but such a fun day.  I've been in their spot a pile of times dreading the lurking single that rarely works out to your enjoyment but this was a fun day and another enjoyable track.  A friend tells me that they have a very fun Kilted Classic tournament and their might be a lot of single malts involved.....

• Like 3
11 hours ago, DShepley said:

So good!  12 years ago my now wife and I eloped and got married in Newfoundland.  It was supposed to be at Humber Valley Resort, (another amazing course), but unfortunately it went bankrupt while we were on the ferry.  The good news is that we met the owner at the gates and I got to play it with my friend who I invited as my witness,  as the only two players on the course, (it hadn't been cut for a couple days), because he felt bad about our story.   In the end...the bankrupt / elopement story actually makes for a funny memory and we still laugh about it.  Anyway...on our drive back to Ontario we did the Cabot Trail through Cape Breton and I pleaded with my wife to play Highlands since it was the number 1 course in Canada in the Score Golf rankings at the time.  I lost that battle but the compromise was that we stopped and the pro shop gave us a cart to drive around to tour the course with a couple beers.  Such a great property....I really am a sucker for a great Stanley Thompson track and even without playing it, I could see the shot values and how you would need to think your way around.  I have plans to get back there and play the courses on the loop,..Highlands, Bell Bay, Cabot Links and Cabot Cliffs.  It's such a great destination now and there are no better people in the world I think than you find in Cape Breton and the East coast of Canada!  On our way back, I also had a really fun round joining as the odd ball fourth in a threesome of seniors in their league play at the Antigonish Golf Club.  I hit my first ball with my shoes untied as I was running to catch up while they were a bit tepid of having company....we became quick friends after I made birdie on 3 of the first 5 or something like that, (I played from their tees), but such a fun day.  I've been in their spot a pile of times dreading the lurking single that rarely works out to your enjoyment but this was a fun day and another enjoyable track.  A friend tells me that they have a very fun Kilted Classic tournament and their might be a lot of single malts involved.....

That was an enjoyable read my friend ! 

I get to play this track an average of 4 times a week (playing today) and definitely don’t take it for granted. 

Cape Bretons golf scene is getting better by the year. I got to finally play the Cabot Cliffs and Links earlier this year also and that was a great experience.  Cabot also just opened a new par 3 course called the nest. 

I hope you can make it here for the loop sooner than later ?  

You just bring your clubs and us Capers will

provide the beer ??

• Like 2
On 9/14/2020 at 11:44 AM, jc4birdie said:

First, let me say that Knudson, to me at least, had THE most beautiful swing to watch REPEATEDLY, that I've ever seen.  It's almost performance art, without going too over the top (I don't mean the over-the-top golf swing error; rather, over the top as in gushing too much about George's swing...hahaha!).  So naturally, I really loved his book "The Natural Swing", in which he espoused what he did and his theory on how to most effectively and efficiently swing a golf club....and I put it in play a couple years back for awhile, but for some reason got away from it as I continued to search for the "secret" (you know, the one that doesn't exist!).  Went to more of the centered rotation around the spine-type move (Leadbetter/Bazalgette) vs. the weight shift back and thru "dance" that Knudson/Ballard prefer.  Well, without belaboring the point, suffice it to say that while I've had success with the rotation around the spine swing, my low back (particularly the hip area) won't take it, and I need to go back to the easier-on-the-back Knudson/Ballard load-into-the-inside-of-the-leg-and-transfer-weight-forward (along w/ some rotation during the "unloading" phase)-type swing.

So, Knudson says that the arms simply "ride along" w/ the movement created by the legs transferring weight back and thru, and are passive in that you don't TRY or MAKE the arms/hands do anything.  That is different from saying that arms/hands DON'T do anything, but Knudson's theory says that what the arms/hands do happens when the golfer simply LETS those things happen, vs. consciously DOING them.  Using physics of inertia and centrifugal force, he believes plane and arc of the club is built into the design of the golf club and the swing motion of transferring weight w/ the legs and feet. 

Thusly, my question is...would an 11 hdcp. player be able to trust those ideas?  Obviously, I wouldn't be an 11 hdcp. if what my arms/hands/trunk/etc. were doing were entirely correct.  Or perhaps they WOULD BE correct if I consistently follow Knudson's ideas?  Would be interested to see thoughts of those who swing "the Knudson way" if it is a long-term philosophy that can be practically applied?  What have you found it particularly helped?  What have you found to be any disadvantages?  I know that since re-implementing his method, when I do it right, the shots are uncannily accurate and precise. 

This is very interesting because I recently stumbled upon George Knudson's swing and also suffer from lower back problems so I can't do the centered type of swing.

I am currently working on it and w/o reading his book I saw that he said the hands are passive. I am also aware of Jimmy Ballard's methods and his student Rocco Mediate.

What I have found that may be relevant is that since I have lower back problems I have to swing around a right leg that resists more than normal which from looking at the videos is not what Rocco necessarily does as hi takes it to the inside, which always causes my lower back to hurt. George Knudson also took the club to the inside but I'm convinced it was different dynamics as one can clearly see his left hand and arm start rolling over immediately and the back of the left hand goes flat much earlier than Rocco so the club traces a more inside path.

Also, I find that pushing the left elbow back with the hands forward near the left leg helps me get everything started plus I like to feel my shoulder turn in on my chest. From the very beginning both legs are resisting the turn so I'm getting good adduction which allows my hands to connect easily. Most high hc never do this. Here's a video from Mike Bender that shows a pro level left shoulder adducton that I try to emulate with Knudsons' method. Also, what I like about Knudson's method is starting the swing with the legs, when I do it right I feel like I am rebounding off my back leg.

Bang 12 deg., X9 5w, Acer XV Tour/Pro 4i-S, Bionik 105, shafts Apollo steel SX

Along the Knudson Ballard lines... Michael Hebron's Inside Moves the Outside is another good book. 

As for Knudson, this is a great video. I don't think he was as bad a putter as the video suggests -- he did win 8 PGA Tour events... I like his reference to dressing calm. And a poignant reference to smoking. Sad. I know he was getting in shape to try the Senior PGA Tour before he got sick. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPVnhIUMw8Y

Cheers,

Edited by Arnsybill
On 9/15/2020 at 8:02 PM, DShepley said:

If you can find it online, there is a Shell Wonderful World Of Golf that he played at Cape Breton Highlands where he put on a display of ball striking.  I love watching his swing!

Also, there is cool....and there is George Knudson Cool!  Harry Higgs has nothing on this deep V!!!  Golf needs more 5 button shirts.  Also...when he finished second in the Masters in 1969, he wore his sunglasses in the Butler Cabin interview....total Bad*SS move!

image.png.4b2bfd2acd032cd01daebf89205bb9b0.png

Thanks for posting that. It made me smile.

Knudson's style suits my advanced age, physical condition and frequent layoffs.

Thanks for re-introducing him.  My golf goal is to hit it where I can find it, even

if that means playing a 7-iron off every tee box. I can't even see more than 150 yards anyway. 

His method should help me accomplish that goal.

Edited by southplains
  • Thanks 2
On 9/18/2020 at 3:15 PM, bdcava said:

His backswing looks like MDLT's to me. To my eye they both look like they go inside and up. That's what I've been trying to achieve. I'm inside and flat. Makes the club very heavy.

A lot of the old school players had an inside and over delivery.  When I say 'over', I mean they returned it over top of the plane that they took it away on.  It's possible to do this and still strike the ball from an inside path.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, southplains said:

Knudson's style suits my advanced age, physical condition and frequent layoffs.

Thanks for re-introducing him.  My golf goal is to hit it where I can find it, even

if that means playing a 7-iron off every tee box. I can't even see more than 150 yards anyway. 

His method should help me accomplish that goal.

His book is a good read if you can find it for a decent price, (it's out of print).  I found it on Amazon for $8.00 once but now it is $65, though you can buy a Kindle version for $13.00.https://www.amazon.com/s?k=george+knudson+natural+golf&crid=MREQENLBTTNR&sprefix=george+knudson%2Caps%2C181&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_14

I found his 1988 book, The Natural Golf Swing, buried in my closet. Just went out for nine holes after a six month layoff with five clubs and hit every fairway, on or close to every green.  Even hit a few 2-woods good.  couldn't see the ball flight, just felt the solid impact, then walked down the fairway and found it.  Just like night golf. Thank you, George.  Now I just need to translate the Natural Swing to putting - the ball-striker's nemesis.

Edited by southplains

According to Knudson's book, it was all kind of mechanical for him until the 1970's,

when he learned to relax with the swing.  Some of the youtube videos are probably before that time.  His swing doesn't appear much different from, say, Al Balding.  He actually misses a big green with a wedge. Then he got tired of the tour travel and learned to teach his swing style.  The main thing I notice is that the later swings are at about 75-80% effort (3/4 backswing), whereas other pros appear to max out their effort.  But he isn't competing, he is demonstrating with an older body.  I'm also noticing his left foot action when he lets it lift going back and then finishes on the outer edge - not the action he admired about Hogan. Also, his left hand grip is a little stronger than what he describes - the V is pointing at the right shoulder by the time he is ready to go.  The inside takeaway could be explained by his arm/body "connection" and his height.  It is hard to stay connected with an upright backswing plane.

Edited by southplains
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2020 at 12:23 PM, bluedot said:

This is going to be one man's opinion, and just from my personal experience.  So take those grains of salt.

Knudson's stuff is very, very similar to Jimmy Ballard in that it's a swing that is about coiling and uncoiling the lower body, while the upper body stays "connected", and, if not passive, at least less active.  There are two HUGE misunderstandings about this; one is the idea of coiling/weight shift vs. a sway, and the other is what connection for the trail arm actually means.  Putting those two things aside, and assuming that both are being done correctly, it is a great way to swing a golf club with relatively little stress on the body, IMO.  I played that way for many, many years.

I do feel, though, that there is a larger element of timing involved when you are basing your swing on the feeling of getting to the right side and then back to the left with your leg action as opposed to a more conventional shoulder turn based swing.  As I aged (I'm 68 now) I just found that there were days when I couldn't time that up very well (or at all!) and just never really got back to my left side completely; the result of that is ALWAYS going to be throwing your upper body up and around to get it out of the way, leading to a lot of blocks and thin iron shots.  That is a real disconnection, and not at all what either Ballard or Knudson taught, but at least to me, it's a real problem with that swing.  I still had days where I was fine, but my bad days got MUCH worse, unacceptably so, and I became extremely inconsistent day to day. 

Before any Ballard of Knudson guys flame me, remember that I said that this was ME.  And it wasn't a fly-by-night thing; I played that way for 25 years, and worked with a couple of Ballard-trained instructors during that time as well.  I've had Knudson's book and video for decades, too.  And I played well that way, well enough to win my senior club championship in 2007 when I was 55.  Again, it was great until it wasn't, and when it wasn't anymore, I just couldn't get it fixed well enough to be consistent.

Your mileage may vary.

Curious since I am a couple of years older than you, what method are employing now?

starts out with his feet closed to his intended start line. Takes the club inside early, then it's just poetry. That kind of move is absolutely deadly from 80 to 160. Wasn't Byron Nelson kind of like that?

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist 818 H1 21* Atmos Tour Spec Blue - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s-400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"