New Equipment

Gilles0180

Gutsy there yet some might say stupid , but I just picked a full set without hitting them first . So here you you go:

Callaway line  Mavrik or Mavrik Max Driver , 3 wood - B21, forego the 5 ,  3,4,5 Mavrik hybrids, ( I use Epic Flash) 6 thru AW Mavrik irons, 50 and 56 degree Titleist SM7 wedges . Putter? Triple track . 

I don’t think you’re stupid just inquisitive. 12 hcp here as well. LHer.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

2 hours ago, NoTalentLefty said:

Gutsy there yet some might say stupid , but I just picked a full set without hitting them first . So here you you go:

Callaway line  Mavrik or Mavrik Max Driver , 3 wood - B21, forego the 5 ,  3,4,5 Mavrik hybrids, ( I use Epic Flash) 6 thru AW Mavrik irons, 50 and 56 degree Titleist SM7 wedges . Putter? Triple track . 

This is a very good suggestion.  I really like 3 wood - B21 and for the putter I would hesitate between Triple track and Spider X.  I like your set of irons 

10 hours ago, Gilles0180 said:

This is a very good suggestion.  I really like 3 wood - B21 and for the putter I would hesitate between Triple track and Spider X.  I like your set of irons 

The Spider X very good putter. My bag has a 6 hybrid Big Bertha 2019 sitting in for my 6 iron slot as well. But some people aren’t ready to give up the 6 iron. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

14 hours ago, Gilles0180 said:

I’m looking to get a brand new set of clubs, Driver, 3 & 5 wood, 4 & 5 hybrid, 6 to PW, 50, 54, 58 wedge and putter. I’m 12 handicap. I’m open for different brands. I don’t want tell you what I’m playing with, I don’t want to influence any suggestions you might have. Thanks in advance

6-pw - sub70 699 pro. 
Wedges - less about brand, get a 54 with a high bounce and wide sole. 58 low bounce and narrow sole. 
putter - anything that gets the ball in the hole for you

driver - hybrid: go cobra. Last year or this year. Both are great. 

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Well it's tough to offer advice based upon handicap alone as we can't tell why your handicap is 12; good ball striking but not as good short game? Or vice versa?

Also, we can't tell about your shot tendencies- high, low, fade, draw, slice, hook?

And, to what degree can you stand to look down at game improvement clubs at address?

But based upon your current set make up, here are some ideas:

Almost all of the stuff from the reputable manufacturers is more or less the same in the categories, i.e,. player's, game improvement, super game improvement. All manufacturers have pretty much reached the USGA limits on most clubs and/or practicalities, e.g., gapping and forgiveness are driving their design decisions. 

For any of the below suggestions, it's crucial you get the right weight and flex shaft for your swing and the right size grips. 
Driver- Ping G410 LST or Ping G410, or a Ping G400 Max. Ping drivers go pretty far and are more forgiving, in my opinion, than drivers from other manufacturers. The 45.75 shaft length can be a problem but you can cut down the shaft 1/2" or so (butt trim)and add a Ping backweight to make up the swingweight. Or just order it from Ping. 

Fairway Woods- Just about any brand except Bridgestone and Mizuno. I don't think either of these brands' clubs are all that forgiving. 

Hybrids- Cleveland HALO. These are really underrated. Go for miles. Launch high and drop steeply.  You can get the 19 and 22 degree and that will be more or less compatible with the lofts in most game improvement irons these days as far as gapping in the rest of the set.

Irons- Ping G410 or Cobra Forged Tech/Taylor Made P790 or Callaway Apex. This depends on what kind of iron player you are. If you tend to sweep the ball, go with the Ping but if you regularly take divots, the Cobras/Taylor Made/Callaway. If you need more forgiveness, check out the Ping G710s or the Cleveland UHX.  I personally think the Taylor Made Sim Max and Callaway Mavrik are great clubs if you want to hit it far but I don't think these clubs are very precise. 

But you will need to check the specs on the irons to make sure you don't have too big of gaps between the hybrids.  You might have to ditch the HALOs for something with more loft. Ping and Titleist make nice hybrids which look good and perform well. 

Wedges-50 Cleveland CBX2- Very forgiving and accurate.

54- Any manufacturer but get a relatively high bounce, 12 degree, and a full sole.

58-Any manufacturer but get a relatively low bounce, 6-8. 

Wedge bounce is going to depend also on how you swing the ball and the type of courses you play on or at least where you are playing your wedge shots from.  Generally, high rough and deep, loose sand, will mean you need more bounce.

Putter-Anything that fits your stroke. Toe hang for arc stroke. Face balanced for straight. All putters are more or less copies of each other. It all depends on what fits your eye and your stroke. 

Edited by PJE

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

After exacting testing and scholarly research, the answer is: TM woods and Titleist irons.

(Until I change to something else on a whim.)

Driver: Cobra LTDx 10.5° Helium Nanocore

Fairway: Cobra RADSPEED 18.5° Motore X

Hybrids: Titleist TSi2 21°, 24° TENSEI AV RAW Blue

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP1 24° Recoil 780

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 AMT Red

Wedges: Vokey SM8 48°, 54° Dynamic Gold; SM7 60° Modus3

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Are you looking for super game improvement irons, game improvement irons, conventional irons, or classic irons? 

When things get back to normal, I assume there will be some demo days in your area. I’d wait until I could find a demo day with most of the top brands present. Every spring (except this year), I attend a demo day and spend the afternoon hitting Titleist, Ping, Taylor Made, Callaway, Srixon, and Mizuno irons and drivers. It’s interesting to see the differences in my numbers and to hear the suggestions of the fitters. 

23 hours ago, PJE said:

Well it's tough to offer advice based upon handicap alone as we can't tell why your handicap is 12; good ball striking but not as good short game? Or vice versa?

Also, we can't tell about your shot tendencies- high, low, fade, draw, slice, hook?

And, to what degree can you stand to look down at game improvement clubs at address?

But based upon your current set make up, here are some ideas:

Almost all of the stuff from the reputable manufacturers is more or less the same in the categories, i.e,. player's, game improvement, super game improvement. All manufacturers have pretty much reached the USGA limits on most clubs and/or practicalities, e.g., gapping and forgiveness are driving their design decisions. 

For any of the below suggestions, it's crucial you get the right weight and flex shaft for your swing and the right size grips. 
Driver- Ping G410 LST or Ping G410, or a Ping G400 Max. Ping drivers go pretty far and are more forgiving, in my opinion, than drivers from other manufacturers. The 45.75 shaft length can be a problem but you can cut down the shaft 1/2" or so (butt trim)and add a Ping backweight to make up the swingweight. Or just order it from Ping. 

Fairway Woods- Just about any brand except Bridgestone and Mizuno. I don't think either of these brands' clubs are all that forgiving. 

Hybrids- Cleveland HALO. These are really underrated. Go for miles. Launch high and drop steeply.  You can get the 19 and 22 degree and that will be more or less compatible with the lofts in most game improvement irons these days as far as gapping in the rest of the set.

Irons- Ping G410 or Cobra Forged Tech/Taylor Made P790 or Callaway Apex. This depends on what kind of iron player you are. If you tend to sweep the ball, go with the Ping but if you regularly take divots, the Cobras/Taylor Made/Callaway. If you need more forgiveness, check out the Ping G710s or the Cleveland UHX.  I personally think the Taylor Made Sim Max and Callaway Mavrik are great clubs if you want to hit it far but I don't think these clubs are very precise. 

But you will need to check the specs on the irons to make sure you don't have too big of gaps between the hybrids.  You might have to ditch the HALOs for something with more loft. Ping and Titleist make nice hybrids which look good and perform well. 

Wedges-50 Cleveland CBX2- Very forgiving and accurate.

54- Any manufacturer but get a relatively high bounce, 12 degree, and a full sole.

58-Any manufacturer but get a relatively low bounce, 6-8. 

Wedge bounce is going to depend also on how you swing the ball and the type of courses you play on or at least where you are playing your wedge shots from.  Generally, high rough and deep, loose sand, will mean you need more bounce.

Putter-Anything that fits your stroke. Toe hang for arc stroke. Face balanced for straight. All putters are more or less copies of each other. It all depends on what fits your eye and your stroke. 

thank you so much for your detailed response.  For your information I'm a good ball striking, I sweep the ball with my hybrids and irons and have a very average short game, to give you an idea 25 yards to the green I chip cross hands I consider myself as a B+ putter.  With my driver and 3 wood I have a little fade, hybrids and irons pretty straight.  Putter I have arc stroke and I like blades.  I like Ping Driver and Fairway G400, for hybrids what do you think of Adams? Cleveland is a good one as well.  Putter I test some Odyssey 9, Ping Anser, Arna and TaylorMade Soto.  Irons I tested Ping G400, 410, TaylorMade 790 and TaylorMade Sim Max.  For wedges I tried TaylorMade High Toe 50, 54 and 58 and Ping Glide 3 50, 54 and eye 2. In closing, I would like to try TaylorMade M6 Driver and fairway wood.  In closing after my test with TaylorMade Driver and fairway wood and Adams Hybrids, I think i will be ready to build my new set of clubs.  Thanks again for your suggestion.

On 9/15/2020 at 5:42 PM, Davidv said:

Irons Ping 710, including wedges. Hybrids Ping 410, Driver Ping G400 Max, Putter try a few and get the one that feels good, looks good and puts the ball in the hole for you..

Thanks for your suggestion. From that, I prefer Driver and Frairway wood Ping G 400, Hybrids G410 and for irons I hesitate between G400 and G410, for wedges I'll go with Ping Glide3 50, 54 and eye2.  Putter my choice is between Ping Anser or Ping Arna

On 9/15/2020 at 5:42 PM, Davidv said:

Irons Ping 710, including wedges. Hybrids Ping 410, Driver Ping G400 Max, Putter try a few and get the one that feels good, looks good and puts the ball in the hole for you..

7 hours ago, Moonlightgrm said:

Are you looking for super game improvement irons, game improvement irons, conventional irons, or classic irons? 

When things get back to normal, I assume there will be some demo days in your area. I’d wait until I could find a demo day with most of the top brands present. Every spring (except this year), I attend a demo day and spend the afternoon hitting Titleist, Ping, Taylor Made, Callaway, Srixon, and Mizuno irons and drivers. It’s interesting to see the differences in my numbers and to hear the suggestions of the fitters. 

I will hesitate between game improvement and conventional irons.  My choice will be between Ping, TaylorMade and Srixon.  Let's see what the fitters will come up with recommendation.

On 9/14/2020 at 8:53 PM, NoTalentLefty said:

I don't think I'm stupid, I'm curious to see what people could come up with as new set of clubs.  FYI, I'm not a big fan of Callaway.  My choice will be between Ping, TaylorMade, Srixon and Adams.  Thanks for your suggestion

Ping G410+

Sim Max 3W

Callaway Super Hybrid at 19* (5W replacement, thank me later)

Ping G410 4 and 5 hybrid

Srixon 585 6 iron 1* weak

Srixon 785 7-PW

Zipcore 50 mid, 54/56 mid, 58/60 low

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

On 9/14/2020 at 7:59 PM, Gilles0180 said:

I’m looking to get a brand new set of clubs, Driver, 3 & 5 wood, 4 & 5 hybrid, 6 to PW, 50, 54, 58 wedge and putter. I’m 12 handicap. I’m open for different brands. I don’t want tell you what I’m playing with, I don’t want to influence any suggestions you might have. Thanks in advance

Heller, brother from another mother. You described my bag perfectly and after sousands and sousands of Doll-hairs here's what I've used and here's what's in the bag. 

Driver: Ping G410+ and LST

Fairways: TM Sim, F9, Mavrik,TS2

Hybrids: TM Sim Max, G410, F9, Rouge, TS2

Irons: 0311 GEN3, T300, 919 HM,HMP, FORGED, Z5-785, G710, G410, P790

Wedges: CBX2, RTX4, JAWS, Glide 2.0, 3.0

Putters: well, you get the picture

Here's what's in the bag right meow:

Driver: Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Blue 6s

FW: Maltby KE4 TC Tensei Blue

4-5 hybrids: KE4 TC Tensei Blue

6-G: Maltby PTM with Elevate VSS 105 stiff

Wedges: SM8 54S, 58D 

Putter: Stroke Lab One

Save some cash and take a look at Maltby.

OP, you may as well have just asked "What do you guys have in your bag?", because the answer is going to be the same as your question. Everybody is just going to answer with what clubs they own, and say they're the greatest thing ever.

The reality is that what is great for someone else might be the worst possible fit for you. All of these suggestions are completely useless, as nobody making them knows what your swing looks like, what your strengths and weaknesses are, and what you like in a club.

If you really want to figure out what clubs to buy, go get fitted. If you don't have a reputable fitter nearby, or don't want to spend the money, go to a big box store like PGATSS, Dick's, Golf Galaxy, etc. and hit a bunch of clubs. Find out what feels right to you, and compare the numbers from their launch monitor.

In addition to that, I'd also recommend looking at Sub 70. They've got many different designs of clubs, a wide variety of shaft offerings (and will get any shaft they don't offer for you if you know what you want), and a great demo program where they'll send you whatever clubs you're looking to try out for a nominal fee. They're incredible quality clubs at well below major manufacturer prices. The CEO, Jason, also takes the time to call customers himself if they have technical questions about the clubs, shaft offerings, etc. Their customer service is the best I've ever dealt with. If you're anywhere near their facility in Illinois, you can do a full fitting there. I just got a set of their 699 Pro irons (after demoing them along with the 699 irons), and absolutely LOVE them. 

12 hours ago, Gilles0180 said:

What kind of Titleist irons?

I picked up some 718 AP1s new from tgw for a lower price than other places had them in used condition.

What I like about them:

1. The 4 and 5 iron are beast.

2. The progressively heavier shafts really feel nice.

3. They look super clean/simple.

Driver: Cobra LTDx 10.5° Helium Nanocore

Fairway: Cobra RADSPEED 18.5° Motore X

Hybrids: Titleist TSi2 21°, 24° TENSEI AV RAW Blue

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP1 24° Recoil 780

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 AMT Red

Wedges: Vokey SM8 48°, 54° Dynamic Gold; SM7 60° Modus3

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2