Is it just me, or do modern day drivers and fairway woods break too easily?

I've cracked multiple Titleist faces but those were all 907 series and earlier. Have been playing my current driver for ~3 years now, granted I don't practice nearly as much as I used to. Never had an issue with fairways personally. I think most are pretty flukey or happen more often if you really bring it. I am ~115 with the driver so I sort of anticipate it going at some point, I try to avoid rock hard range balls for this reason. I haven't noticed a decline though, I think it's more of the boundaries being pushed. 

Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05
Titleist 917 F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White 100-X
Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-PW PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 54* S PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM7 Jet Black 60* M PX 6.0
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ IOmic

Im just a 95mph irrelevant Regular Flex WRXr🙂 Suggest Titleist or Ping moving forward and heel impacts stress the hosel/face...

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

It's definitely the nature of the game with metal woods.  I've broken a couple drivers, and a 2h face went concave on me.

The early metal woods made of 17-4 stainless and 15-5 stainless could/would eventually fail.  It's the nature of the beast.

For that matter, even persimmons aren't immune.  See Nicklaus, Jack, and driver insert.  🙂

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver:  Cobra Fly-Z+, Xcaliber 7.5 TS, 44", King LTD, HZRDUS 75 6.5, 44.25"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Aldila Tour Blue 85 S, 42.5"; Stage 2 Tour, SO Fiber Tour Trac 100 X, 42.5"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300; Golden Ram TW276, NV105; Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5; Ram TG-898, Super Peening Blue X; 1980 Golden Rams, Dynamic S; MacGregor Muirfield, Dynamic S; Wilson Staff 78 Tour Blades, Dynamic S
GW:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400
SW:  Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.25"; Yes! Nicky, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or 50 Elite, TP5

I think skilled players cracking driver faces is a badge of honor which acts as a testament of their high swing speed.  Drivers and woods getting damaged by hacks is another story.  They should get lessons.

Edited by cgasucks

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I have always been a hard hitter.  Over all the years only had one shaft break - in my trusty of Titleist 905S 9.5 head.  Probably my favorite driver.  Believe it or not, it was Grafalloy Blue shaft fully inserted in the hosel, snapped off at the top where the shaft entered.  That's the only one.  

Whether or not something breaks depends on quality and that depends on price.  I don't see either of the Ventus Velocore shafts breaking, or the graphite Steelfiber i95 in my 2iron, and PX 5.5 in my irons.  Course it could always happen but I doubt it.  The quality of manufacturing in each of those shafts is top notch.

• Titleist TS2 9.5, Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16.5*, Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17* 2i, i95cw
  • Titleist 620 - CB&MB - 3i-PW, PX 5.5
  • SM6 F-52/8, PX 5.5; SM6 M-58/8, DG-S200
  • SC California Monterey
  • ProV1