Jump to content

Who Says Mental Game is Overrated???: Broke My Personal Best by TWO SHOTS!!


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello Fellow Golf Junkies!   A few things from my club championship this last weekend:   AGE IS JUST A NUMBER (I broke my competitive personal best by two shots at 53 years of age

The epiphany appears to be the ability to enjoy in another's excitement while that person shares knowledge to help others. 

This resonates with me   for any golfer that has had a solid playing stretch / career earlier in life. ...   it’s hard to accept that: - good scoring will be rarer - it w

Posted Images

Always beware the injured golfer. Several years ago when shooting 40 for 9 was great. Nearly snapped my right ankle the week of our church softball tournament. Ended up with a bad sprain. Shot 37 for 9 limping around.  Went on to play and win the church softball .championship too...still limping around and playing third base

Edited by SNIPERBBB
  • Like 2

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
TM r15 3 wood
Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats! That's awesome.

 

I'm not going to lie, I read the whole thing expecting the magical upset. But your elation at the HOW of finishing 2nd with your amateur pedigree is what I will take away from this as someone just getting started.

 

I would be crushed, and that says a lot about my mindset and where it could use some work.

Edited by DLev45
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Ping G400 Max w/ Ping Alta CB 55 Stiff (44.5")

Fairway: Ping G410 SFT 3W w/ Ping Alta CB 65 Stiff

Hybrids: Ping G 3H-4H w/ Ping Alta 70 Regular

Irons: Ping i210 5i-Gap w/ Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff (+0.5"/1.5* upright)

Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 54 SS / 58 ES w/ Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge Flex

Putter: Taylormade Spider X Navy (35")

Link to post
Share on other sites

that is a unique closing stretch with 4 out of the last 5 holes as Par 5s.  One of the more impressive takeaways for me is that I would think this would give the longer hitter a huge advantage, yet you MADE UP ground with your wedge, putter, and smart play/mental approach.  awesome work!  could use some of this in my own game.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

GREAT ROUND!!   Appreciate the thoughtful and detailed post.  As one of the people I will pay attention to on the forum I have some questions and to run by you about scoring,  mental game ect. and would appreciate your thoughts.

 

There are times that when in trouble I'll spend the extra time to 'grind' over  how to handle a tricky shot and will execute well enough to save par or bogey when it's really going sideways.  But more often the result isn't great and I really feel like I overthought it.

 

On the converse,  I have much more success giving it a quick look, grabbing whatever club seems right and then make it more of a reactionary set-up, give it a glance and go.  I'll do this for short game shots around the green as well as putting.  The problem mentally is I then feel like I just got lucky so it is hard to trust this approach.

 

These different 'systems' really stood out to me from the last 9 holes I played.  I hit 6 greens in regulation.  Didn't have a putt over 15 feet.  The 4 I really looked over and 'tried' on ended up being tap ins.   The 2 that were glance and goes I birdied.   The three missed greens I saved par twice from terrible positions on glance and go (I did have to make about a 20 footer on one of them)  the other was a pretty straight forward up and down that felt like I overthought it into a bogey.

 

It feels like when I just 'give up' and accept that this putt or chip or whatever just isn't going to work out,  it does.  Which like I said then just feels like luck.  But after 30 years of playing golf I'm starting to notice I sure seem to get lucky alot when I'm not trying,  which is a hard to to mentally resolve...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

really inspiring, man! if an old fart like you can do it what's stopping a younger fart like me? 😜

 

seriously though, i really enjoyed reading your recounting of events. thank you for sharing and congratulations on a wonderful achievement. 🏆🏆🏆

  • Thanks 1

callaway big bertha alpha 815 DBD 8*, 70g diamana d+ x
TEE CB4 13* 3w, 80g diamana a'hina x
mizuno mp5 3-p, c-taper 130g
mizuno t7 50/55/60, c-taper 130g

SC bullseye platinum flange

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, b_f_c_99 said:

GREAT ROUND!!   Appreciate the thoughtful and detailed post.  As one of the people I will pay attention to on the forum I have some questions and to run by you about scoring,  mental game ect. and would appreciate your thoughts.

 

There are times that when in trouble I'll spend the extra time to 'grind' over  how to handle a tricky shot and will execute well enough to save par or bogey when it's really going sideways.  But more often the result isn't great and I really feel like I overthought it.

 

On the converse,  I have much more success giving it a quick look, grabbing whatever club seems right and then make it more of a reactionary set-up, give it a glance and go.  I'll do this for short game shots around the green as well as putting.  The problem mentally is I then feel like I just got lucky so it is hard to trust this approach.

 

These different 'systems' really stood out to me from the last 9 holes I played.  I hit 6 greens in regulation.  Didn't have a putt over 15 feet.  The 4 I really looked over and 'tried' on ended up being tap ins.   The 2 that were glance and goes I birdied.   The three missed greens I saved par twice from terrible positions on glance and go (I did have to make about a 20 footer on one of them)  the other was a pretty straight forward up and down that felt like I overthought it into a bogey.

 

It feels like when I just 'give up' and accept that this putt or chip or whatever just isn't going to work out,  it does.  Which like I said then just feels like luck.  But after 30 years of playing golf I'm starting to notice I sure seem to get lucky alot when I'm not trying,  which is a hard to to mentally resolve...


Lots to unpack here. I need to give this some thought. A lot of the answer has to do with what type of a person you are, personally. 
 

I tend to be a bit of an anxious type who tends to move more quickly under pressure. Slowing down helps me to not make stupid decisions.

 

[size=2]PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - S
TaylorMade Sim Max Titanium 15* 3-WOOD - Diamana - S
Titleist 818 H2 19*. Tensei black 90g - S
Titleist 818 H1 21* Atmos Tour Spec Blue - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s-400
Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 76.5*)[/size]

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Obee said:


Lots to unpack here. I need to give this some thought. A lot of the answer has to do with what type of a person you are, personally. 
 

I tend to be a bit of an anxious type who tends to move more quickly under pressure. Slowing down helps me to not make stupid decisions.

 

I’m definitely a twitchy fast moving personality.  I should add that my first love in sports was tennis,  I could hang with the college players,  then moved on to table tennis.  I’m not a big guy 5 foot 6 at best and 135 lbs.   After way to many years of swing exploration I added 30 yards on my drives and 15 on irons simply by increasing my overall swing tempo.  Which is what I use to do 20 years ago before all the Internet golf instruction helped me out if you know what I mean.  I was a pretty solid 1hdcp 20 years ago. A 4 right now but really long game isn’t my problem. I need to wedge it better and putt better.  I can hit the shot required but I have a habit of hitting the wrong style of shot for a given circumstance if that makes sense.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, b_f_c_99 said:

GREAT ROUND!!   Appreciate the thoughtful and detailed post.  As one of the people I will pay attention to on the forum I have some questions and to run by you about scoring,  mental game ect. and would appreciate your thoughts.

 

There are times that when in trouble I'll spend the extra time to 'grind' over  how to handle a tricky shot and will execute well enough to save par or bogey when it's really going sideways.  But more often the result isn't great and I really feel like I overthought it.

 

On the converse,  I have much more success giving it a quick look, grabbing whatever club seems right and then make it more of a reactionary set-up, give it a glance and go.  I'll do this for short game shots around the green as well as putting.  The problem mentally is I then feel like I just got lucky so it is hard to trust this approach.

 

These different 'systems' really stood out to me from the last 9 holes I played.  I hit 6 greens in regulation.  Didn't have a putt over 15 feet.  The 4 I really looked over and 'tried' on ended up being tap ins.   The 2 that were glance and goes I birdied.   The three missed greens I saved par twice from terrible positions on glance and go (I did have to make about a 20 footer on one of them)  the other was a pretty straight forward up and down that felt like I overthought it into a bogey.

 

It feels like when I just 'give up' and accept that this putt or chip or whatever just isn't going to work out,  it does.  Which like I said then just feels like luck.  But after 30 years of playing golf I'm starting to notice I sure seem to get lucky alot when I'm not trying,  which is a hard to to mentally resolve...

 

Im not Obee, but i do have some thoughts to share.

 

Ive found that grinding over shots can cause a lack of commitment to the shot you've chosen if you arent careful. 

 

Examining too many variables can cause doubt and a lack of focus when you choose a shot.

 

Personally, i like to give myself 2 options when considering a shot to play. For example on long shots i decide if im going to play aggressive or conservative first, then pick my shot and club.

 

On chips i decide if im playing in the air or on the ground first. Then read the shot and pick the club. Same type of thing for putts.

 

 

Hope that all makes sense.

 

 

Golfing Ginger
So glad I picked an outside activity...

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, b_f_c_99 said:

I’m definitely a twitchy fast moving personality.  I should add that my first love in sports was tennis,  I could hang with the college players,  then moved on to table tennis.  I’m not a big guy 5 foot 6 at best and 135 lbs.   After way to many years of swing exploration I added 30 yards on my drives and 15 on irons simply by increasing my overall swing tempo.  Which is what I use to do 20 years ago before all the Internet golf instruction helped me out if you know what I mean.  I was a pretty solid 1hdcp 20 years ago. A 4 right now but really long game isn’t my problem. I need to wedge it better and putt better.  I can hit the shot required but I have a habit of hitting the wrong style of shot for a given circumstance if that makes sense.  

 

"...wrong style of shot for a given circumstance..."

 

Wow. So much there. That is, in a sentence, how I can help lots of 2, 3, 4 cappers drop a few and get to scratch or below. I see this all the time by good, athletic golfers who are not yet skilled golfers.

 

Playing lessons are where you improve here. Having someone play with you who knows how to get the most out of his/her ability and then you explain every shot to them before you hit it. Then discuss.

Edited by Obee
  • Like 1

[size=2]PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - S
TaylorMade Sim Max Titanium 15* 3-WOOD - Diamana - S
Titleist 818 H2 19*. Tensei black 90g - S
Titleist 818 H1 21* Atmos Tour Spec Blue - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s-400
Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 76.5*)[/size]

Link to post
Share on other sites

Total stick, 64 with 2 bogeys 

 

great read ... as always

  • Like 1


Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x
Callaway GBB 19* Aldila NVS 85x
Apex '16 4h 23* Fubuki ax400h 82x

Apex ‘16 5h 27* Mitsu KuroKage 90s

Ping s55 6 - PW Fujikura MCI 100s

Ping Glide 49*, 54* & 59* wrx Recoil 110s
Piretti Matera Elite
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the red numbers on the right where you won with 209?


Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x
Callaway GBB 19* Aldila NVS 85x
Apex '16 4h 23* Fubuki ax400h 82x

Apex ‘16 5h 27* Mitsu KuroKage 90s

Ping s55 6 - PW Fujikura MCI 100s

Ping Glide 49*, 54* & 59* wrx Recoil 110s
Piretti Matera Elite
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

And winning 3 day net with a closing gross 64, that is something for the grinders

  • Like 2


Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x
Callaway GBB 19* Aldila NVS 85x
Apex '16 4h 23* Fubuki ax400h 82x

Apex ‘16 5h 27* Mitsu KuroKage 90s

Ping s55 6 - PW Fujikura MCI 100s

Ping Glide 49*, 54* & 59* wrx Recoil 110s
Piretti Matera Elite
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, copperjeff said:

 

Im not Obee, but i do have some thoughts to share.

 

Ive found that grinding over shots can cause a lack of commitment to the shot you've chosen if you arent careful. 

 

Examining too many variables can cause doubt and a lack of focus when you choose a shot.

 

Personally, i like to give myself 2 options when considering a shot to play. For example on long shots i decide if im going to play aggressive or conservative first, then pick my shot and club.

 

On chips i decide if im playing in the air or on the ground first. Then read the shot and pick the club. Same type of thing for putts.

 

 

Hope that all makes sense.

 

 

It does make sense and I’ve never really thought of it that way, more of a vague sort of “hit it up there” sort of thing.  When I guess the right shot I’m really good.  When I don’t I’m really perplexed on how it didn’t work out.

 

Thank you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Obee said:

 

"...wrong style of shot for a given circumstance..."

 

Wow. So much there. That is, in a sentence, how I can help lots of 2, 3, 4 cappers drop a few and get to scratch or below. I see this all the time by good, athletic golfers who are not yet skilled golfers.

 

Playing lessons are where you improve here. Having someone play with you who knows how to get the most out of his/her ability and then you explain every shot to them before you hit it. Then discuss.

I definitely have this guessing the right shot sort of thing. I can be really good or really sloppy. Most of the time I’m hitting the shot I want but not the shot that was needed.  I’ll see what I can do about playing with some qualified players sadly there isn’t a lot of that around here, probably part of the reason I’ve been stuck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, b_f_c_99 said:

I definitely have this guessing the right shot sort of thing. I can be really good or really sloppy. Most of the time I’m hitting the shot I want but not the shot that was needed.  I’ll see what I can do about playing with some qualified players sadly there isn’t a lot of that around here, probably part of the reason I’ve been stuck.

Just be careful not to confuse picking the wrong shot with the execution sucked on that shot. There can be some overlap if your picked the wrong shot that makes execution near impossible.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
TM r15 3 wood
Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SNIPERBBB said:

Just be careful not to confuse picking the wrong shot with the execution sucked on that shot. There can be some overlap if your picked the wrong shot that makes execution near impossible.

Right,  like most people my second attempt of a certain tough short game shot or tricky putt is world class.  It's easy to execute once I see how the ball will react but it's hard for me to figure out how it's going to react the first time.  So kind of like the chicken or the egg thing.  Am I reading it poorly the first time,  or am I over thinking it into poor execution.  I need to figure that out.  And yes,  there is a percentage of time I've simply tried to hit the wrong shot with the wrong club.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Commitment is more important than execution. It doesn’t really matter if you choose the wrong shot or the right shot if you’re not committed. 
 

Commitment is more important than execution. Think about that and let it sink in. 

Edited by b.helts
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, cardoustie said:

What are the red numbers on the right where you won with 209?


Yeah, those were net numbers. I actually won the entire tournament ... NET!

 

There were 50 guys and handicaps went all the way up to 24. And I won the flippin' net....

  • Like 2

[size=2]PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - S
TaylorMade Sim Max Titanium 15* 3-WOOD - Diamana - S
Titleist 818 H2 19*. Tensei black 90g - S
Titleist 818 H1 21* Atmos Tour Spec Blue - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s-400
Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 76.5*)[/size]

Link to post
Share on other sites

Obee, great tournament and thanks for sharing.  You really have changed my way of thinking when it comes to tournament golf and what's possible.  

 

Forever I'm thinking the idea of me shooting in the 60s is ridiculous, but through reading your posts I'm seeing there is a realistic path.

 

Cheers!

Edited by CasualLie
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...