Who Says Mental Game is Overrated???: Broke My Personal Best by TWO SHOTS!!

2 minutes ago, OrangeGravy said:

I think that line depends on the person. For some that kind of self talk may steer them toward making a double. That person might need the "I can hit this shot" kind of self talk. If I know I can hit the shot, but am too worried about "what I don't and double", Accepting that double could happen even if you hit a good shot frees you up execute the shot more often than not. 

EXACTLY!!!

[size=2]PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - S
TaylorMade Sim Max Titanium 15* 3-WOOD - Diamana - S
Titleist 818 H2 19*. Tensei black 90g - S
Titleist 818 H1 21* Atmos Tour Spec Blue - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S
Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s-400
Odyssey Works Versa Tank 1W (bent to 76.5*)[/size]

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello Fellow Golf Junkies!   A few things from my club championship this last weekend:   AGE IS JUST A NUMBER (I broke my competitive personal best by two shots at 53 years of age

The epiphany appears to be the ability to enjoy in another's excitement while that person shares knowledge to help others. 

This resonates with me   for any golfer that has had a solid playing stretch / career earlier in life. ...   it’s hard to accept that: - good scoring will be rarer - it w

Posted Images

8 hours ago, naval2006 said:

Apparently there’s a big deal of grinding in Obee. If you’re a grinder you don’t give in that easily. I’ve also been through reminiscing the good old times until I realised they were gone. Acceptance of your present game and improving and grinding it out are part of the search for scoring

A specific source of motivation is of great help to set a goal and focus. Especially as one grows older and a bit weary and finds in golf a shelter from the daily routine. 

This part is where I find the strokes gained stuff to be useful. You can often times find that in certain areas of your game, you're not as bad as you think and you don't have to be so hard on yourself about it. 

6 minutes ago, Obee said:

EXACTLY!!!

That's where golf for us muni and club golfers is tough. Other sports, there's someone there that can see you might be about to spin out and say "take a deep breath, you can have this shot. Even if you hit a great shot, you're still gonna have to make a putt". For me on tough short game shots it's all about making the acceptable circle much bigger, like 12ft instead of 3. Often when I do that, I put it inside of 3ft anyway because I'm not worried about leaving 8-12ft 

7 hours ago, b_f_c_99 said:

Wow!  I think you just explained to me why when I feel like I'm not trying it works out pretty well.  PRE-ACCEPTANCE.  Played a quick 9 today,  they had just aerated the greens.  My mind-set said "well no reason to expect much today because of holes and sand".  

Hit 6 greens.   Birdied both par 5's  (4 footer,  and 2 footer)  Saved par once from just off the green.  The other time from 100 yards after making a 15 footer or so.   The entire time I had already Pre-Accepted that it was going to be what it was going to be.  I had this easy calm about pretty much everything.  Hit a few trees on drives,  laid the sod over one and saved par from 100 out.  Just did my thing and didn't let it bother me.  Ended up 1 under.  Easy Peasy.

This is the place I try to get to before I play. It's easy to get there in a casual round for the most part. It's tougher when playing for a little scratch and tougher yet if you're playing real competition golf ( I wouldn't know ). I can go out in a practice type round and make all kinds of different moves with driver on the tee and hit it down the middle, some shorter-some longer than usual. When trying to post a decent number in comes the concern about results and everything is that much harder to execute. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, isaacbm said:

So where is the line between acceptance and giving in? 

For example, you could have Accepted that you’re 53, injured, fat, a short hitter, etc and just “ Accepted  the fact that you’ll  never shoot under a certain number again in a tournament.

There’s a fine line between accepting that you’re going to make some terrible swings and making terrible swings because you’re expecting them! 
I personally have found that I can’t force low scores. Sometimes they just happen. Generally though I have to accept  that they arent going to happen every time. That’s one of my big issues: High expectations. If you were expecting greatness all of the time instead of Accepting that it only comes when you let it, you can get very frustrated.  Also, having shot multiple rounds of 60 and 61  in tournament competition when I was younger and a better player, I basically have to accept  that those days are likely incredibly few and far between going forward. Maybe never! 
One of the things that saddens me a little is that I will likely never shoot my lowest score again... unless I start playing executive par threes! 

This resonates with me

for any golfer that has had a solid playing stretch / career earlier in life. ...

it’s hard to accept that:

- good scoring will be rarer

- it will be harder

- we’re older

Sometimes I think these factors make the great playing, whether on a streak or in an event or a single incredible round, even more satisfying & rewarding

• Like 3

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x
Callaway GBB 19* Aldila NVS 85x
Apex '16 4h 23* Fubuki ax400h 82x

Apex ‘16 5h 27* Mitsu KuroKage 90s

Ping s55 6 - PW Fujikura MCI 100s

Ping Glide 49*, 54* & 59* wrx Recoil 110s
Piretti Matera Elite

11 hours ago, OrangeGravy said:

This is the place I try to get to before I play. It's easy to get there in a casual round for the most part. It's tougher when playing for a little scratch and tougher yet if you're playing real competition golf ( I wouldn't know ). I can go out in a practice type round and make all kinds of different moves with driver on the tee and hit it down the middle, some shorter-some longer than usual. When trying to post a decent number in comes the concern about results and everything is that much harder to execute. 

I find it's easier for me to get there when I distract myself with things like experimenting with different swing thoughts or strategies.  Basically anything to make the normal different.  Than I can separate the trying to hard and outcome.  If that makes sense?

• Like 1
On 9/17/2020 at 10:55 AM, b_f_c_99 said:

I find it's easier for me to get there when I distract myself with things like experimenting with different swing thoughts or strategies.  Basically anything to make the normal different.  Than I can separate the trying to hard and outcome.  If that makes sense?

It's a lot easier for me to do it now at 47 then when I was in my 20s/30s. I've had a bad back quite a few years, so some days I just don't have it, specifically off the tee. I know it's a 50/50 thing no matter what. If I'm stiff and can't really get through a tee shot, I'll throw up an 87 finding several penalty areas or 83/84 if I'm just in the junk all day. If I feel good and can really control it off the tee, I'll be 77-79. It's like shaking the magic 8 ball on the first tee every round!

• Haha 1