Jump to content

Callaway Golf Mack Daddy CBX... I mean CB Wedge


Recommended Posts

Ever wonder what a Cleveland CBX wedge would look like if Callaway made it? Pretty much an exact rip off. 

 

 

https://www.callawaygolf.com/golf-clubs/wedges/wedges-2021-mack-daddy-cb.html

 

 

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 UST Proforce V2 8F5
Taylormade Gapr low 2 
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good idea for Callaway to copy Cleveland. The CBX wedges are pretty legit. I am sure Roger Cleveland was enthused to do this.

TaylorMade SIM Max - Fujikura Motore X F3 6

TaylorMade SIM Rocket 3 Wood - Fujikura Motore X F3 7

TaylorMade SIM Max Rescue 3 - Fujikura Ventus Blue

TaylorMade P770 4-AW - Project X LZ

TaylorMade MG2 TW Grind 56 & 60 - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

TaylorMade My Spider X - KBS CT Tour

TaylorMade TP5X

Link to post
Share on other sites

Imitation is the best flattery.  I actually like the look of these.

G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0
G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0
G410 4-5 Hybrids - Accra 80i
G410 6-UW - Accra 80i
Glide 3.0 54WS, 58WS Accra 80i
PING Bruzer
PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
(MY HYBRIDS, IRONS & WEDGES HAVE BEEN STOLEN BY MY SON)
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheMoneyShot said:

I prefer callys version looks wise but I probably would not put it in the bag.  

Well, you're all fancy and everything! LOL

  • Like 1
G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0
G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0
G410 4-5 Hybrids - Accra 80i
G410 6-UW - Accra 80i
Glide 3.0 54WS, 58WS Accra 80i
PING Bruzer
PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
(MY HYBRIDS, IRONS & WEDGES HAVE BEEN STOLEN BY MY SON)
Link to post
Share on other sites

yes look more than ok ..

Cobra F9 Speedback driver 10.5
Taylormade M2 3 wood
Taylormade M4 5 wood
Taylormade RBZ 3 Hybrid/Callaway Hawkeye 7 wood.
Taylormade M6 irons 5 to pw,aw, sw, 2 degrees upright +half an inch longer
Callaway PM grind mack daddy 60 wedge
 taylormade Burner speed/RBZ soft balls
Odyssey 7s black

Link to post
Share on other sites

I switched to a CBX last year as my primary chipping club and it's awesome.  

 

This is a total rip off

Big Bertha Alpha 815 Speeder 565 R
BB Alpha 815 14 set +1 draw Speeder 665 S
19 & 23 X2Hot Callaway
5 to Gap JPX825
Scotty Kombi
54/10 Rotex 2.0 56 Tmag ATV

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not getting this trend.  I can see a CB Gap wedge being helpful and needed forgiveness for some; but a CB 56/60??? I'll give a pass to those who just like the looks, but if you need this level of forgiveness around the green by having a CB, maybe golf just isn't your game so keep playing, but don't bother buying new clubs.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the design although cant definitively tell if there is offset or not? 

TaylorMade SIM 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Velocore Black 6X 45.25

Ping G410 14.5 Evenflow Black 85 6.5 43.0
Ben Hogan VKTR+ 19 UST Recoil ES 95 F5 X 
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Nippon Modus Pro 120X 1 Flat 
Mizuno MP 20 56, TM HiToe 58/10
Rife Phenom.Z 34”
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow. That’s bad....

Ping G410 Plus 9* Big minus setting Hzrdus Smoke Green Small Batch 70 6.5TX (Tipped 1")

Taylormade M1 3HL Accra TZ5 100M5 Prototype  (Tipped 2")

Titleist 718 T-MB KBS C-Taper 125 S+
Bridgestone Tour B X-Blade 4-Pw Steelfiber 125 S (Hardstepped 1x bent 3* weak)

Miura MB5000WC 52, 57 Dynamic Gold S400

Miura 1957 Forged 60K PX LZ 6.0

Taylormade Spider Interactive #1 35"

Taylormade TP5 PIX 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CasualLie said:

I'm not getting this trend.  I can see a CB Gap wedge being helpful and needed forgiveness for some; but a CB 56/60??? I'll give a pass to those who just like the looks, but if you need this level of forgiveness around the green by having a CB, maybe golf just isn't your game so keep playing, but don't bother buying new clubs.

The game is for everyone at all levels.  If cavity backs gets or keeps someone in the game, so be it.

  • Like 3
G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0
G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0
G410 4-5 Hybrids - Accra 80i
G410 6-UW - Accra 80i
Glide 3.0 54WS, 58WS Accra 80i
PING Bruzer
PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
(MY HYBRIDS, IRONS & WEDGES HAVE BEEN STOLEN BY MY SON)
Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like it comes standard with a longer grip, like the Ping wedges. I really like the grip on my Ping Glide 3.0, so that would be a nice thing.

 

And there is obviously a place for cavity back wedges. The three guys I play with (handicaps in the 15-20ish range) all use ancient cavity back sand wedges and would definitely benefit from something like this. Personally, I see the appeal in having one for any wedge that I would take full swings with, which for me would be my gap and sand wedge. So long as the turf interaction is good enough around the green, why not?

Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood

Cobra F9 5 Wood

Srixon H45 4 hybrid

Srixon 565 5-AW

Ping Glide 3.0 54 deg.

Callaway PM Grind 60 deg.

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8 / Ping Heppler ZB3

Link to post
Share on other sites

All I am saying is the game survived for decades for all levels of golfers using a 56* without a cavity back.  I clearly started, I get it for gap wedge.  This new trend is manufacturing a problem that does not really exist.  Seriously, if you are a bad chipper will a CB fix that?  No way.  I am not suggesting anyone with a high handicap quit, I am saying save your money, spend it on something more useful, which would be just about anything - even ice cream.  Notice, the OEMs had big clunky matching SWs to complement your set, so both ends are covered, why the CB?  As pointed out by others, it’s a Cally copycat trying to grind more money.  If someone really wanted to get forgiving, go buy the most classic sand wedge of all time - the Ping from way back in the day.

 

 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a huge fan of the looks of it but a big fan that companies are offering golfers more options for their short game. While this does look like a copy cat of the Cleveland CBX I would also note that Ping's Glide 3.0 also attempted to give players a smidge more cavity and make the specialty wedges transition into the iron set a bit easier by reducing the overall weight of the club. Again, I think these are nice options to have. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This trend totally makes sense in conjunction with the modern iron set in the game. I like to think of my wedges as an extension of the set on the bottom end of the bag. If a full swing P goes "x" and full swing G usually a 48-50° flies "y" then I want my 52-54 and my 56 as well as my 60 to fly the anticipated distance for a full swing and so on. Now I just have to find that 50 yd and in shot and manufacture a predetermined 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 swing. The average golfer doesn't want to or doesn't care to practice flighting wedges for a particular trajectory and spin combo. Full swing requires full forgiveness. WRX is not full of avg golfers however the marketplace is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, CasualLie said:

I'm not getting this trend.  I can see a CB Gap wedge being helpful and needed forgiveness for some; but a CB 56/60??? I'll give a pass to those who just like the looks, but if you need this level of forgiveness around the green by having a CB, maybe golf just isn't your game so keep playing, but don't bother buying new clubs.

You do realize the basis for this wedge, one of the most popular in history, was a cavity back right?

SIM Max USA Edition First Responders Tensei AV Raw Blue 6TX
Titleist TS3 15 Evenflow White 6.0

PXG 0341X Gen2 18 HZRDUS Smoke yellow
PXG 0317X Gen 2 17 Matrix HM4 85 Black Tie

Mizuno JPX Tour TI X100 4-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 52.10
Mizuno T-20 56.10 M Grind
Ping B60 Vault 2.0
TP5 Yellow
 
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, xkilgorextroutx said:

Got the CBX2 in the bag now and don't see any reason to switch out of them, TBH.


Yeah, I agree, and I don’t think handicap has much to do with liking these clubs. Try ‘em and see. They perform very well. I tried a 58 and it was so good. Can hit any shot. Several rounds with it in the bag and numerous kick-ins after approaches from 75 yards and in. CBX2 is better than the original CBX, more refined. Looks like a regular wedge from address and yet has the forgiveness, glides through the ball. Makes sense Callaway made a version. They did have the Sure Out and Sure Out 2, but those were some serious shovels. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dhen9 said:

This trend totally makes sense in conjunction with the modern iron set in the game. I like to think of my wedges as an extension of the set on the bottom end of the bag. If a full swing P goes "x" and full swing G usually a 48-50° flies "y" then I want my 52-54 and my 56 as well as my 60 to fly the anticipated distance for a full swing and so on. Now I just have to find that 50 yd and in shot and manufacture a predetermined 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 swing. The average golfer doesn't want to or doesn't care to practice flighting wedges for a particular trajectory and spin combo. Full swing requires full forgiveness. WRX is not full of avg golfers however the marketplace is. 


I had the Eye 2 lob wedge  “shovel” for many years in my youth. It was a flop shot machine.  

Edited by Lemonde

TaylorMade SIM 10.5 Fujikura Ventus Velocore Black 6X 45.25

Ping G410 14.5 Evenflow Black 85 6.5 43.0
Ben Hogan VKTR+ 19 UST Recoil ES 95 F5 X 
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Nippon Modus Pro 120X 1 Flat 
Mizuno MP 20 56, TM HiToe 58/10
Rife Phenom.Z 34”
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, CasualLie said:

All I am saying is the game survived for decades for all levels of golfers using a 56* without a cavity back.  I clearly started, I get it for gap wedge.  This new trend is manufacturing a problem that does not really exist.  Seriously, if you are a bad chipper will a CB fix that?  No way.  I am not suggesting anyone with a high handicap quit, I am saying save your money, spend it on something more useful, which would be just about anything - even ice cream.  Notice, the OEMs had big clunky matching SWs to complement your set, so both ends are covered, why the CB?  As pointed out by others, it’s a Cally copycat trying to grind more money.  If someone really wanted to get forgiving, go buy the most classic sand wedge of all time - the Ping from way back in the day.

 

 

I get it, but here's another perspective:

 

Many of our customers are players.  They can use anything.  But when you bust past the 20+ handicappers, short game becomes a real issue.  The big chunky SW that comes say with the BB21 iron set or the Cleveland HB Launchers doesn't provide the level of spin to get the ball to stop consistently.  Up and out, it does great because it relies on height and will provide SOME spin.  It's a one trick pony.  The Cleveland CBX was and is outstanding.  It provides a larger and hollow head (and wider sole) that provides the forgiveness that a cavity back provides.  ALL of the golfers we fit for these love the help and the ability to stop the ball.  It's an option to the blade wedge which many people simply can't hit well.  And if you're a recreational player?  Forget it.  They're struggling.

 

OEMs are providing options for everyone that plays at all levels.  Sure it's sales, but if there were no market for it, they wouldn't make them.  No one is willingly going to lose money on an idea without research.  You used PING as an example.  The current Glide 3.0 incorporates somewhat of a cavity.  They said under no uncertain terms it's to make the wedge more forgiving and it's even played on tour by some golfers.  That wedge's grooves will stop the ball on a dime.  It so happens now, Callaway has realized that they're missing out so they made one.  Personally, we were surprised they didn't come out with one sooner with TaylorMade, Cleveland and PING leading the way.  You can't have Callaway players, putting a Cleveland CBX in the bag can we?  That's capitalism for you.  Make it and people will buy it (a la the Perfect wedge or the wedge that Aaron Oberholser is hocking).  But they work and people are using them with success if you don't mind a no-name in your bag.

 

People are looking for success when they play and that's the very reason cavity backs were created.  Forgiveness to play this hard game.  If folks are able to play blades and 60 degree wedges with 4 degrees of bounce, that's awesome, but that's not where the majority of golfers reside.  All of us play this game for fun and most of us can't use blade anything.  So I'm cool with anyone using anything that can help them get the ball in the hole as fast as possible, even if it's a bag full of hybrids.  So if a CB wedge helps them play bogey golf, I'm all for it.

 

 

  • Like 4
G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0
G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0
G410 4-5 Hybrids - Accra 80i
G410 6-UW - Accra 80i
Glide 3.0 54WS, 58WS Accra 80i
PING Bruzer
PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
(MY HYBRIDS, IRONS & WEDGES HAVE BEEN STOLEN BY MY SON)
Link to post
Share on other sites

The primary benefit of this style of wedge is that players can just set up square and hit it without having to open up the face or otherwise manipulate the club.  I play with a high handicap buddy every week who really struggles inside 50 yards and I'd love to put one of these (or a CBX) in his hands to see what would happen. Probably save him 2 or 3 shots a round. 

  • Like 2

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 3 - 5 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Nike Method MOD 90
Titleist Lightweight Stand Bag

Clicgear 4.0

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tbowles411 said:

I get it, but here's another perspective:

 

Many of our customers are players.  They can use anything.  But when you bust past the 20+ handicappers, short game becomes a real issue.  The big chunky SW that comes say with the BB21 iron set or the Cleveland HB Launchers doesn't provide the level of spin to get the ball to stop consistently.  Up and out, it does great because it relies on height and will provide SOME spin.  It's a one trick pony.  The Cleveland CBX was and is outstanding.  It provides a larger and hollow head (and wider sole) that provides the forgiveness that a cavity back provides.  ALL of the golfers we fit for these love the help and the ability to stop the ball.  It's an option to the blade wedge which many people simply can't hit well.  And if you're a recreational player?  Forget it.  They're struggling.

 

OEMs are providing options for everyone that plays at all levels.  Sure it's sales, but if there were no market for it, they wouldn't make them.  No one is willingly going to lose money on an idea without research.  You used PING as an example.  The current Glide 3.0 incorporates somewhat of a cavity.  They said under no uncertain terms it's to make the wedge more forgiving and it's even played on tour by some golfers.  That wedge's grooves will stop the ball on a dime.  It so happens now, Callaway has realized that they're missing out so they made one.  Personally, we were surprised they didn't come out with one sooner with TaylorMade, Cleveland and PING leading the way.  You can't have Callaway players, putting a Cleveland CBX in the bag can we?  That's capitalism for you.  Make it and people will buy it (a la the Perfect wedge or the wedge that Aaron Oberholser is hocking).  But they work and people are using them with success if you don't mind a no-name in your bag.

 

People are looking for success when they play and that's the very reason cavity backs were created.  Forgiveness to play this hard game.  If folks are able to play blades and 60 degree wedges with 4 degrees of bounce, that's awesome, but that's not where the majority of golfers reside.  All of us play this game for fun and most of us can't use blade anything.  So I'm cool with anyone using anything that can help them get the ball in the hole as fast as possible, even if it's a bag full of hybrids.  So if a CB wedge helps them play bogey golf, I'm all for it.

 

 

 

Onboard with everything you are saying.  No argument from me.

 

But I am curious, didn’t Callaway address some of these issues with the Sure Out wedge?  A friend of mine meets the profile you describe above; really struggled on the short side chips from the rough and bunkers.  So he gets the Sure Out.  It changes his game a bit, I wouldn’t say dramatic, but no more of the bladed skulls.  So that was good.  But then a few weeks later he gets rid of the club and I ask why would you do that?  And he says the Sure Out is too clunky from the fairway, can’t hit the 60-80 yard shots as well as he was before.  I reply “as well? What does that mean?  Like 60 yards from the fairway you were super accurate and now you are not???  How many of those shots do you have vs the number of times you miss the green and are in the rough or bunker???”  All he can say is, it just doesn’t feel well on full swing, he likes his MD4 60*.  

 

So does this new offering attempt to bridge the so called extremes, need forgiveness on the short green side shots and spin, but also need to feel comfortable on the full swing from the fairway?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...