How far do you hit your driving iron, REALLY?

Duffner's Waggle

32 minutes ago, Titleist84 said:

My Sim DHY 3 iron came in today with stock stiff Diamana shaft.  Distance was comparable to my 19* hybrid but what really impressed me was how straight I hit it. 

How did you like the feel? I had the SIM UDI for about 12 minutes because it just felt like crap even on flushed shots. 

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

According to my last gapping session, my longest iron which is a Callaway X-Forged UT 18* bent to 20* I carried off the turf an average of 253y rolling out to 272y total.

It sounds like you have the speed, but maybe you just need the right fit to make solid contact consistently? Driving irons can be weird in terms of setup IMO and how you balance total weight and swingweight with your set irons is delicate.  

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I have a 19* Maltby FDI that I bought as an experiment, they market it as a hybrid more so than as a driving iron.  I don't swing as fast as... anyone in this thread.... but on "good" strikes I can get 115 mph ball speed and 170 carry.  Good drives go 220 carry+roll.  Play with the best that you have I guess!

I have mostly used the FDI as a practice club without much use on the course.  I tend to have an excessive dynamic loft impact condition so wood type hybrids tend to be very high and spinny for me.

Dave

Not sure on distance because I don’t trust the Toptracer distances, but their ball speeds seem to line up with the GC Quad I’ve hit on when using it at PGA Superstore or Dicks with the beat up non premium balls they supply. 

I hit a 716 T-MB 2 iron with a True Temper XP 115 X100 shaft, and I love it. My ball speed is 144-145mph and it makes for a nice mid penetrating flight. I previously had a DG X100 in it, and it flew lower, but not by much. 

I like the 716 T-MB for its narrow sole and turf interaction compared to more of the UT or DI’s that have wider soles.  I hit it off the short grass just fine. There may be longer options out there for driving Irons with graphite shafts, but the T-MB’s are versatile and have been a great . If there is such thing as a fade based iron, the 716 T-MB’s are it. I usually play a small draw and not often try to fade the ball unless it’s with the shorter irons, but I am completely comfortable working the T-MB in both direction from the turf. I tend not to do that off the tee when trying to find a fairway, but I’m sure if there was a long par 3 that called for it, I would not have to step to far out of my comfort zone in order to do so. 

On 9/15/2020 at 10:46 AM, COL_B said:

I have a Ping G410 hybrid 3 on order, but I ordered it from a builder to get an X shaft, and they are taking their sweet time with it. I have gotten so spoiled by eBay and Golf Galaxy I failed to read the fine print on Fairway Jockey's fulfillment policy: 

They added that Ping part after I submitted my order on 24 August.

I'm looking at this as a Par 5 approach stick, not for the tee. Generally hybrids don't agree with me, and seem to exaggerate my miss - either left or right. Which is why I went with DIs in the first place.

But I am totally enamored with my G410 LST driver, so I ordered the hybrid on a whim.

Since I was dogging Fairway Jockey, I thought is was fair to come back and post that my Ping Hybrid came in the mail today 3.5 weeks after I ordered it. Which is not bad for Ping at the moment.

The odd thing was they never emailed to update the status of my order.

Titleist TSR3 9* (+1, neutral), Ventus Red TR 6X

Callaway X2Hot pro 3Deep 14* with Aldila Tour Green 75 S

Titleist T200 3i and 4i, Project X LZ 6.0

Titleist T100 (2020) 5-PW, Project X Precision 6.0

PXG Sugar Daddy 50, 54, 58

Taylor Made Spider

I have a 17 degree Ping G25 hybrid which I use as my 'driving iron'.

Typically I get 220 carry out of it off the tee. With rollout it usually puts me in the 250-260 range.

Off the deck you can likely take 15 yards off those numbers. 

I don't carry a 3 wood so this is essentially my longest club outside of driver. It fills a nice gap for me as I can also hit it high or low. 

Two par 3's at my home course are 235+ so this was my main reason for getting a club for that range.

25 minutes ago, Mcgeeno said:

I have a 17 degree Ping G25 hybrid which I use as my 'driving iron'.

Typically I get 220 carry out of it off the tee. With rollout it usually puts me in the 250-260 range.

Off the deck you can likely take 15 yards off those numbers. 

I don't carry a 3 wood so this is essentially my longest club outside of driver. It fills a nice gap for me as I can also hit it high or low. 

Two par 3's at my home course are 235+ so this was my main reason for getting a club for that range.

Man you're gettin 30-40 yards of roll? That's bonkers. I need to come play wherever you are. That's awesome. 

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

On 9/15/2020 at 10:51 PM, SUPERG said:

19 P790 3 iron bent strong 1 degree. C taper 130X same as my irons. It’s goes 250 after roll, my fave club. I hit my driver maybe 3 times a round, I hit my 3 iron everywhere else. Just way more reliable!

almost the same setup, p790 3I bent down 1 degree, i put a hybrid shaft in though. gets about equal use as driver day to day with its 240 carry

My stock Srixon 585 4i off the tee I can go anywhere from 230-255 including roll out if hit well. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I play a 22° Callaway X Forged UT (bent from 21) and don't use it much off the tee but when I do I get 225-235 at altitude.  It's got a nice piercing flight if I just make my stock swing - totally different than my #3 hybrid.

Would probably use it more from the tee if there were any tree lined courses in my rota, but those are few and far between here in my neck of the woods.

TaylorMade M5 10.5° /  Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60 S
Cobra King Speedzone 18.5@17° / Project X HZRDUS Smoke 70 S
TaylorMade  M3 3/19° Rescue/ Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 80H S
Callaway X Forged Utility 21°@22° /  TT Elevate 95 S

Honma T//World Rose Proto MB 5-10 / N.S. Pro Modus3 120TX
Edison 51° / DG Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 56° / DG Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T22 60° / DG Tour Issue S400
L.A.B. B.2 Brass/ BGT Stability Tour Black
Maxfli Tour X

14 minutes ago, mike mulholland said:

almost the same setup, p790 3I bent down 1 degree, i put a hybrid shaft in though. gets about equal use as driver day to day with its 240 carry

It’s a great club! I can genuinely say this “game improvement players iron” really did shave a few strokes off my game and keeps me in the short grass without giving up much at all!

Callaway Paradym 9* PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 60 6.0

Callaway Paradym 15* - PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 70 6.0

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 3 HB 20* - Tensei White 85 S

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-PW - DG 105 S300

Vokey SM9 50* - 54* - 58* - TT Wedge 

Odyssey White Hot OG 2 Ball

Titleist ProV1

About 160 yards, low and left or high and right

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TM SIM2 Stock Ventus

TM SIM2 MAX Rocket Oban Devotion
Callaway Rogue 17 Degree Project X Even Flow Blue
Titleist TS2 21 Degree Tensei Blue
Titleist T300 5-GW Nippon 950GH
Vokey SM6 54 + 58 KBS C Taper
Odyssey EXO 7s
Vice Pro Plus / Kirkland Signature

I had a x forged ut,   18 bent to 19 and shortened to 39 inches.   I was amazed at the feeling off of the face.  Problem is I could not hit it high enough.   I was about 225 carry roll to 245-250.

i have since switched back to gen2 19 hybrid with hzrdus black and 39 inches and I am 240 carry.   250 total .  I hit it much higher.

Ping G410 2 iron (CD Red, 17) or a King Utility 3 iron (C-taper lite, 19.5) depending on the course. The ping is about 255 total and the Cobra is about 240 total. The Ping is useless to me as an approach club because I hit it very low. The Cobra is much easier to play into a green, high cut carries about 230. Hitting a draw off the tee I've gotten random bombs off rollout to 260ish. The Ping will randomly go 280 on a hard roll. Both are so much straighter than hybrids for me.

22 hours ago, Duffner's Waggle said:

Man you're gettin 30-40 yards of roll? That's bonkers. I need to come play wherever you are. That's awesome. 

I'd call 30-40 yards "normal roll" in firm conditions for my 2 iron (of course then my 235 distance easily becomes 250).  Maybe only 10-15 yards of roll in soft conditions.  It is not a high launching club unless I tee it high/hit up on it, and lands shallow and rolls in all conditions.

11 hours ago, Long_Left said:

Ping G410 2 iron (CD Red, 17) or a King Utility 3 iron (C-taper lite, 19.5) depending on the course. The ping is about 255 total and the Cobra is about 240 total. The Ping is useless to me as an approach club because I hit it very low. The Cobra is much easier to play into a green, high cut carries about 230. Hitting a draw off the tee I've gotten random bombs off rollout to 260ish. The Ping will randomly go 280 on a hard roll. Both are so much straighter than hybrids for me.

I had as similar experience when testing the G410 2-iron. Definitely a lower flight and had an absolute BOMB in it when struck just *so* that added about 15-20 yards. I think there is a zone just slightly high on the face that drops spin but retains ball speed and it would just fly. I didn't love the feel though, but i'd like to try having one hotmelted at some point to see if that helps. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Bridgestone 

1 hour ago, Valtiel said:

I had as similar experience when testing the G410 2-iron. Definitely a lower flight and had an absolute BOMB in it when struck just *so* that added about 15-20 yards. I think there is a zone just slightly high on the face that drops spin but retains ball speed and it would just fly. I didn't love the feel though, but i'd like to try having one hotmelted at some point to see if that helps. 

Now are yall talking about a Crossover 2i? or do they make a cavity back 2i? Because that was my Srixon 545...it was a cavity back 3i that was just awesome.

21 minutes ago, Duffner's Waggle said:

Now are yall talking about a Crossover 2i? or do they make a cavity back 2i? Because that was my Srixon 545...it was a cavity back 3i that was just awesome.

I was referring to the Crossover, yes. Sorry for the confusion. In my head I don't think of it as a "Crossover" since in the past that has meant a much chunkier, hybrid like club whereas the G410 Crossover is much more of a player's distance iron kind of vibe. It is very hot, but on the unforgiving side. 

I'm not sure if @Long_Left is referring to same thing club but I assume so. You could Power Spec a G410 4-iron to 19*, which is practically a 2-iron, but he said 17* which is stock loft of the G410 Crossover 2-iron. 

Bridgestone 

I have a Titleist U500 2i that's bent one degree weaker (18°)- with a Tensei Pro White 90HY shaft in it. 

My driver ss is around 112-115mph, so I'd say it's on the average side. 

I'd agree with one of the guys who said that you need a fast ss to be able to hit a DI. 

I can carry my 2i about 250yards with a good 30-50y rollout depending on conditions.

My U500 was fitted for me to be a low bullet off the tee and so that's how it performs on good to average swings. 

Bad swings/strikes are criminal, with the club only getting 220yards in total due to misstrikes - with a drop in ball speed and a massive spike in spin rate. 

Hitting it off the fairway into par 5s is also tricky, as if you're not generating enough speed, the trajectory is low and unpredictable when it lands, often landing short of the green but then rolling off too far past. 

I'd also say that it IS more consistent (straighter) off the tee, than my 5 wood - which I alternate between my 2i, during summer or lush courses. 

The 2i is easier to control in terms of trajectory - off the tee. From hitting a stinger draw like Tiger, to a higher spin/higher trajectory fade. 

But my 5 wood is a better club to hit into par 5s (from the fairway) because of the better decent angle, and the higher spin, which leads to better stopping power on greens. 

Consider what you are looking for out of a DI/UI, as a good fitting session can help you achieve what you're looking for, and give you the versatility required. 

On 9/15/2020 at 8:36 AM, Duffner's Waggle said:

So I know this is WRX, and some of you hit Koepka-like bombs 270 yards, but for the vast majority, if you hit iron off the tee as your driving club, how far do you hit it. 

I have been through SIM UDI, U510, HMB, U85, CB ProH...I just don’t hit driving irons very straight or very far. I’ll have a day where I stripe it, but on the whole it’s not really giving me accuracy or a ton of distance. Maybe 225-230 at MOST. 

Been thinkin about putting a low loft hybrid in the bag and using 4i as my longest iron, and hitting that from the tee. It would probably go about 215 or so when flushed. 205-210 more often. 

That feels like it’s probably long enough most places when I have to find the fairway or the longer clubs are not working that day. 

So how far do you hit your driving iron? Or do you just play the longest iron in your set as a “driving iron?”

If Not hitting it far enough, then more long irons into greens doesn’t seem like a totally great move either. So just tryin to decide about the top end of my bag. 

My driving iron is the tiniest 1-iron blade I've ever seen.  It's a stupid choice, but I love it so much that it stays in the bag.  The problem is that it plays anywhere from 250-285.  And I'm not talking hitting it a little skinny or a little on the toe.  You hit 10 shots that all feel exactly the same and they'll vary by 35-40 yards in length.  I use it off the tee when I really need to control the shape/flight, not when I need less club.  If I need to play to a shorter yardage than Driver off the tee, I go to a 3-iron and either sting it for a little extra or just hit a stock shot.  I don't carry a 3-wood and my driver is a 300+ club, so I've got a pretty big gap off the tee, but I like having 3-9 and then 4 wedges.

• Like 1

Just picked up my P790 UDI with hazard smoke 6.5 and it just goes. Yardage is right at 240 yards. Puts my 5 wood in limbo. Not sure which direction I want to go but the 5 wood is better out of the thick stuff.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

This is an interesting topic! Since DIs have been all the rage, and I’m a high launch, high spin player, I bought a Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 2i, which has 16.5 degrees of loft. I LOVE it when I flush it, and off the tee, it goes 230-240. But I can’t hit it consistently well, let alone off the fairway, so it’s too one-dimensional for me. 
Moved on to a MP-H5 3i I reshafted with a Diamana Whiteboard graphite shaft and it’s much easier to hit, but goes 210 max off the tee and a little less far off the fairway, and launches too high. 

I‘m still searching for a low launching, easy to hit hybrid. I have a TEE CBX 119 16* on the way and hope it is the magic pill. 
My 3-wood is too unreliable off the tee and fairways and my 5W is launching too high. Wish me luck. 

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

3 hours ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

This is an interesting topic! Since DIs have been all the rage, and I’m a high launch, high spin player, I bought a Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 2i, which has 16.5 degrees of loft. I LOVE it when I flush it, and off the tee, it goes 230-240. But I can’t hit it consistently well, let alone off the fairway, so it’s too one-dimensional for me. 
Moved on to a MP-H5 3i I reshafted with a Diamana Whiteboard graphite shaft and it’s much easier to hit, but goes 210 max off the tee and a little less far off the fairway, and launches too high. 

I‘m still searching for a low launching, easy to hit hybrid. I have a TEE CBX 119 16* on the way and hope it is the magic pill. 
My 3-wood is too unreliable off the tee and fairways and my 5W is launching too high. Wish me luck. 

I hit my 17* TMB 2 iron fine, in fact,  I absolutely love the T-MB. (I demoed  the Mizuno MP 20 HMB and loved that one too) The flight is workable as well as shape of shot. It has a slimmer sole than most DI’s so it’s great off the deck as well. I can flight it any where from 75-100 ft high, and put it out there a fair distance that will carry from 220-230 with varying roll outs depending on flight and shape. My problem isnt there, it is that I am no better (maybe worse) off the tee with my 3 wood compared to my driver. I drive the ball well, but not nearly as well as I can hit my T-Mb 2 iron or 2016 Apex 2hybrid. The problem is my separation between the 2 clubs is 10 yards on a day with no wind and medium/firm fairways. So I’d be interested in what your feedback would be on the TEE CBX 119 1H. I’ve had my eye on one of them or a TEE EXS Pro, and an older Adams Pro from 2015.  I’m looking to have a 3 wood replacement hybrid, but no luck on finding the right one. Some of the low lofted/ low back CG ones that are more wood like in size than irons, I fly way too high, with too much spin. I have a 50-60+ yard gap between my driver and next club ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  

If there is any breeze above 10-mph, the 2 hybrid stays home and my bag goes Driver - 2 iron 3 hybrid 4-W GW,SW,LW putter. 

The right hybrid could put me at 

Driver 1H, 3H 4-w, g,s,l putt. I like the 9031 3H enough to look for another or pro mini 4 and just go 5-W 

id love to get another 20 yards out of my Apex hybrid by taming the flight, but it’s not in the cards. I had the lie flattened 2* and added 1 inch, plus put in a lower launch shaft tipped 1 inch, and it maybe gained me 5 yards with 1-2 mph ball speed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

DI’s have been very tricky for me. I first had. G410 2i and literally hit nothing but fat toe hooks or 10feet off the ground knucklers. Then went to the Srixon u85 20* and loved it but switched it out for a G410 19* hybrid for the ability to hit it off the ground but found it wasn’t as consistent off the tee. You have to figure out what you need more. Control, both of trajectory and direction off the tee or height off of the deck into par 5’s. I know have a 20* G410 crossover and feel it gives me close enough to the best of both worlds. Probably not exactly the height or spin I’d like off the deck or from the rough but it’s close and it’s automatic off the tee. I avg 245-255 carry off the tee and I’d say 235 off the deck. 

• Like 1

Stay Tuned...