How far do you hit your driving iron, REALLY?

Duffner's Waggle

Well if anybody is interested in tryin a beautiful DI made by a certain Japanese company, I can help you out. 

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

51 minutes ago, drvrwdge said:

DI’s have been very tricky for me. I first had. G410 2i and literally hit nothing but fat toe hooks or 10feet off the ground knucklers. Then went to the Srixon u85 20* and loved it but switched it out for a G410 19* hybrid for the ability to hit it off the ground but found it wasn’t as consistent off the tee. You have to figure out what you need more. Control, both of trajectory and direction off the tee or height off of the deck into par 5’s. I know have a 20* G410 crossover and feel it gives me close enough to the best of both worlds. Probably not exactly the height or spin I’d like off the deck or from the rough but it’s close and it’s automatic off the tee. I avg 245-255 carry off the tee and I’d say 235 off the deck. 

Man we played that one time and have never gotten back out. Need to do that at some point. You're still hittin it a country mile it sounds like! 

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

On 9/16/2020 at 8:01 PM, Duffner's Waggle said:

How did you like the feel? I had the SIM UDI for about 12 minutes because it just felt like crap even on flushed shots. 

I think its that Thump shaft. I want to put a Evenflow white in it and try it out.

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR 

i530 Dynamic Gold Mid

RTX6 54/58 DG Spinner

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Mini

Callaway Chrome Tour

I hit a 716 t-mb 3 iron with a kbs c-taper 130x around 220 carry. 

• Like 1

Taylormade M3 9.5 W/ Fujikura Atmos TS 6X 

TaylorMade M3 17 HL W/ Fujikura Atmos TS Black 7X

Titleist 816 T-MB 3i W/ KBS C-Taper X

Titleist ZM Blades 4-PW W/ S300

Titleist Vokey SM Black Nickel 54(bent52)/58

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport #2 33”

My current 2i is a srixon u85 18 degree I carry about 230 and will roll to about 250 total off the tee In normal conditions. I have tried a 2 hybrid but just way over spin them, even with a lot of shaft in them. I believe to get max distance/consistency the key with a di is the shaft. I have hit three or 4 prior and this is the best because it has the most shaft (project x 6.5 like normal irons).  That is what works for me. 

Duffner’s Waggle - Based on the clubs and shafts in your avatar, you have plenty of speed. I can only guess the 2i doesn’t go as far as you want due to over spinning it.  Try an x100 like in your irons first or maybe a c taper or project x shaft. I think you will see improvement with that. Good luck. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Duffner's Waggle said:

Man we played that one time and have never gotten back out. Need to do that at some point. You're still hittin it a country mile it sounds like! 

Let’s do it! Ha and yes, distance isn’t an issue. 

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

I don't have a traditional driving iron. My "driving iron" is my Wilson FG Tour V6 3 iron that's bent 1 degree strong and is used pretty much solely off the tee on tight par 4's. It gets a good amount of roll since it launches so low and ends up going about 225-230. 

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | Kuro Kage Dual Core TiNi 60TX

Fairway: PING G425 SFT | Diamana 'ahina 80X

Driving Iron: Taylormade P790 | Project X 6.5

Irons: PING S55 | Project X 6.5

Wedges: Cleveland RTX6 | Dynamic Gold TI S400

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour S CB

On 9/18/2020 at 9:11 PM, Valtiel said:

I was referring to the Crossover, yes. Sorry for the confusion. In my head I don't think of it as a "Crossover" since in the past that has meant a much chunkier, hybrid like club whereas the G410 Crossover is much more of a player's distance iron kind of vibe. It is very hot, but on the unforgiving side. 

I'm not sure if @Long_Left is referring to same thing club but I assume so. You could Power Spec a G410 4-iron to 19*, which is practically a 2-iron, but he said 17* which is stock loft of the G410 Crossover 2-iron. 

Correct, G410 Crossover 2. On the forgiveness front, it has none to speak of for a player of my caliber... Anything above the lower third of the face goes nowhere and feedback is strong and unpleasant. It is a little more forgiving heel to toe as long as contact is made on the bottom third of the face. Challenging to hit if the tee boxes are the least bit shaggy due to teeing it essentially level with the ground.

On 9/18/2020 at 7:33 PM, Valtiel said:

I had as similar experience when testing the G410 2-iron. Definitely a lower flight and had an absolute BOMB in it when struck just *so* that added about 15-20 yards. I think there is a zone just slightly high on the face that drops spin but retains ball speed and it would just fly. I didn't love the feel though, but i'd like to try having one hotmelted at some point to see if that helps. 

I've considered adding some hotmelt to get the swingweight up a couple points. I play D4 across the set but ordered this club on a whim, it feels a little like swinging a fishing pole to me, I'm sure the counterbalanced shaft adds to that as well but it was the only thing available in an X flex. I don't have the high on the face feeling when I pop one, my longest with it are all bullets turned over that run for days, I don't feel like I can spin it at all no matter where I hit it...

19* Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli Hi with hardstepped S300, 38.75" (standard). As others have indicated that they do, I alternate between this and a V Steel 5 wood.

Generally 220yd carry, total depends on fairway grass length and firmness. My home course (kikuyu fairways) has 3 shortish par 4s where such length gives me a full wedge of some sort, plus I feel pretty confident hitting it off the deck as well.

TM M5 Tour 9* Diamana Whiteboard 73 X
TM SIM Titanium 14* Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 TX
Mizuno MP18 (MMC Fli-Hi 3-4, MMC 5-PW) DG S300 hardstepped x1
Cleveland RTX3 50/56/60 KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S
TM Ardmore 3 Black Copper  

Mines a 21deg @ 39"...so about 210

My 20deg hybrid @ 40" is about 220

Edited by third-times-a-charm
  • Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2020 at 2:40 AM, Drivingrangehero said:

I hit my 17* TMB 2 iron fine, in fact,  I absolutely love the T-MB. (I demoed  the Mizuno MP 20 HMB and loved that one too) The flight is workable as well as shape of shot. It has a slimmer sole than most DI’s so it’s great off the deck as well. I can flight it any where from 75-100 ft high, and put it out there a fair distance that will carry from 220-230 with varying roll outs depending on flight and shape. My problem isnt there, it is that I am no better (maybe worse) off the tee with my 3 wood compared to my driver. I drive the ball well, but not nearly as well as I can hit my T-Mb 2 iron or 2016 Apex 2hybrid. The problem is my separation between the 2 clubs is 10 yards on a day with no wind and medium/firm fairways. So I’d be interested in what your feedback would be on the TEE CBX 119 1H. I’ve had my eye on one of them or a TEE EXS Pro, and an older Adams Pro from 2015.  I’m looking to have a 3 wood replacement hybrid, but no luck on finding the right one. Some of the low lofted/ low back CG ones that are more wood like in size than irons, I fly way too high, with too much spin. I have a 50-60+ yard gap between my driver and next club ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  

If there is any breeze above 10-mph, the 2 hybrid stays home and my bag goes Driver - 2 iron 3 hybrid 4-W GW,SW,LW putter. 

The right hybrid could put me at 

Driver 1H, 3H 4-w, g,s,l putt. I like the 9031 3H enough to look for another or pro mini 4 and just go 5-W 

id love to get another 20 yards out of my Apex hybrid by taming the flight, but it’s not in the cards. I had the lie flattened 2* and added 1 inch, plus put in a lower launch shaft tipped 1 inch, and it maybe gained me 5 yards with 1-2 mph ball speed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Just wanted to update on the TEE CBX 119 16* hybrid I picked up, as you were interested in my feedback. 
Used it for 4 rounds now. It’s a rocket launcher, that’s for sure. Project X Even Flow Black 6.5 shaft.

It’s considerably easier to hit than my Mizzy MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi driving iron, but it’s not automatic like my 5W. Easier than a 3W, though. 
I can launch it high or hit penetrating bullets. Hit it into the wind a couple times and it was great! Hit a couple duck hooks, too, so it’s not foolproof. 

I‘ll need more experience with it, but judging by the current sample size, it has a chance to be a secret weapon, and the allrounder I was looking for. 
Hope that helps. 

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

Putter Odyssey WhiteHot OG 2-Ball

Ball  Vice Pro/Snell MTB Prime

28 minutes ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

Just wanted to update on the TEE CBX 119 16* hybrid I picked up, as you were interested in my feedback. 
Used it for 4 rounds now. It’s a rocket launcher, that’s for sure. Project X Even Flow Black 6.5 shaft.

It’s considerably easier to hit than my Mizzy MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi driving iron, but it’s not automatic like my 5W. Easier than a 3W, though. 
I can launch it high or hit penetrating bullets. Hit it into the wind a couple times and it was great! Hit a couple duck hooks, too, so it’s not foolproof. 

I‘ll need more experience with it, but judging by the current sample size, it has a chance to be a secret weapon, and the allrounder I was looking for. 
Hope that helps. 

I picked one up a couple of days ago as well 👍 it certainly has potential! 

I hit it yesterday at the range and I hit a few shots with it at a Dicks on the GC2. I’m certainly not dialed in right now. My swing is off a bit, and the regular grip feels odd since I play Midsize MCC 1 up 2 layers down, but I find it to be great so far. Its like my 2016 Apex hybrid but lower lofted. 

it sets up nice at address to me, and it’s easy for me to flight down. I can work it both ways ok, but I think that will get better with a midsize grip and shaft change. Mine came with a Fujikura EXS Blue s-flex ....... it was $89 new so I jumped on it. I think I’ll throw in the shaft from my 2016 Apex which is the Aldila 2KXV 85X that I tipped 1 inch. I like the way the Aldila kicks and produces a very neutral ball flight for me..... sometimes I can over draw with my hybrids. 

I hit some off the tee and I tried to shape shots a bit off the deck (mat) but I’m just not clicking right now. I feel like I had a better range session, being that I literally pulled the plastic off to hit a few at Dicks with short time. 

I hit the TEE EXS pro a week ago in a PGASS and was blown away on how good it was. I think I may be the same with the CBX 119 once I get the grip and shaft changed out because I like it as much as the Apex 2016 already. 

I wasn’t flushing it repeatedly, but I wasn’t disappointed with minimal swings, trying to hit different trajectories, shape shots, and a shaft/grip combo I’m not thrilled with.  As you will see, even my fade swing had left rotation lol 😝 

EC2EA0FC-36FF-4BFF-9F24-C45B3E24C4D8.png.c7dc7ce375b03cfd06da7394c4a5226a.png2B6BE69A-0B7D-4F90-896F-C51EDC6DD35E.png.b79a52907085e50710cbe9114d50a10a.png

Here are a few pics I took on the GC2

Edited by Drivingrangehero
Missing first line
  • Like 1

My Rogue X 4i (18.5*) is my 220 club, 205 on a really bad strike, but 230 on an absolute pure one. This includes roll out, off the deck.

Edited by A.Princey

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

19 hours ago, Drivingrangehero said:

I picked one up a couple of days ago as well 👍 it certainly has potential! 

I hit it yesterday at the range and I hit a few shots with it at a Dicks on the GC2. I’m certainly not dialed in right now. My swing is off a bit, and the regular grip feels odd since I play Midsize MCC 1 up 2 layers down, but I find it to be great so far. Its like my 2016 Apex hybrid but lower lofted. 

it sets up nice at address to me, and it’s easy for me to flight down. I can work it both ways ok, but I think that will get better with a midsize grip and shaft change. Mine came with a Fujikura EXS Blue s-flex ....... it was $89 new so I jumped on it. I think I’ll throw in the shaft from my 2016 Apex which is the Aldila 2KXV 85X that I tipped 1 inch. I like the way the Aldila kicks and produces a very neutral ball flight for me..... sometimes I can over draw with my hybrids. 

I hit some off the tee and I tried to shape shots a bit off the deck (mat) but I’m just not clicking right now. I feel like I had a better range session, being that I literally pulled the plastic off to hit a few at Dicks with short time. 

I hit the TEE EXS pro a week ago in a PGASS and was blown away on how good it was. I think I may be the same with the CBX 119 once I get the grip and shaft changed out because I like it as much as the Apex 2016 already. 

I wasn’t flushing it repeatedly, but I wasn’t disappointed with minimal swings, trying to hit different trajectories, shape shots, and a shaft/grip combo I’m not thrilled with.  As you will see, even my fade swing had left rotation lol 😝 

EC2EA0FC-36FF-4BFF-9F24-C45B3E24C4D8.png.c7dc7ce375b03cfd06da7394c4a5226a.png2B6BE69A-0B7D-4F90-896F-C51EDC6DD35E.png.b79a52907085e50710cbe9114d50a10a.png

Here are a few pics I took on the GC2

110 with DRI , impressive boss 

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

35 minutes ago, drbonesvt said:

110 with DRI , impressive boss 

I wish.... ........ With the GC2 if you don’t have the dots on the club face, the smash factor is predetermined, and provides a Swing Speed number based upon ball speed in relation to the smash factor, which isn’t reflective of reality. If the smash factor was set on the predetermined “Driver” setting of 1.46 it would have spit out a swing speed of 104.7mph 

If I type in my driver ball speed of 167mph and leave it in the predetermined smash factor in the pics of 1.36, it would say my swing speed is north of 122mph .............. I can only dream 😆 

My swing speed with that club is probably 5mph less in all reality

My driver swing speed hovers around 113-114mph at the moment. 

The GC2 and GC Quad at big box stores are only good for ball speed/launch and all things ball related if you don’t have the dots on the club......  everything else to do with the club.....  swing speed/ face angle.... etc.... is not an accurate measuremention due to predetermined fixed numbers being plugged in the computer based on arbitrary averages. 

Typo

56 minutes ago, Drivingrangehero said:

I wish.... ........ With the GC2 if you don’t have the dots on the club face, the smash factor is predetermined, and provides a Swing Speed number based upon ball speed in relation to the smash factor, which isn’t reflective of reality. If the smash factor was set on the predetermined “Driver” setting of 1.46 it would have spit out a swing speed of 104.7mph 

If I type in my driver ball speed of 167mph and leave it in the predetermined smash factor in the pics of 1.36, it would say my swing speed is north of 122mph .............. I can only dream 😆 

My swing speed with that club is probably 5mph less in all reality

My driver swing speed hovers around 113-114mph at the moment. 

The GC2 and GC Quad at big box stores are only good for ball speed/launch and all things ball related if you don’t have the dots on the club......  everything else to do with the club.....  swing speed/ face angle.... etc.... is not an accurate measuremention due to predetermined fixed numbers being plugged in the computer based on arbitrary averages. 

105 ish with DRI is still bringing it 

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

32 minutes ago, drbonesvt said:

105 ish with DRI is still bringing it 

At 44yrs old with arthritis and a lower back injury, I’m not the bomber I used to be, but still can send it. Lol 💪

Im actually longer with the driver since returning to play after injury than I was 10 yrs ago due to swing changes. 

Back in 2008 when I could throw a football a 1/4 mile, I used to be able to hit balls speeds up to 182mph with my 8.5* Titleist 905 but my spin and launch were so high (3000-3200rpm/16.5-18*) that I didn’t hit the ball as far as I do now with 14mph less ball speed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Omission

3 hours ago, scruffynick said:

Got a mizuno mp h5 23 degree loft.... Carry it 170 yds off a tee.... Can't get much more out of it than that, I'm a small knocker but fairly straight, 170 off the tee when needed suits me fine 

I have the MP-H5 3i (20* I think). Since I put in a Diamana Whiteboard 70g stiff shaft in it, it has way more pop than the stock steel could produce. Might be worth a try for you, too?

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

1 hour ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

I have the MP-H5 3i (20* I think). Since I put in a Diamana Whiteboard 70g stiff shaft in it, it has way more pop than the stock steel could produce. Might be worth a try for you, too?

Might be worth a try but I don't think I'd get more than a few yards to be honest, my swing isn't built for distance.... Sadly! 

11 hours ago, scruffynick said:

Might be worth a try but I don't think I'd get more than a few yards to be honest, my swing isn't built for distance.... Sadly! 

It’s not just distance, it’s way easier to hit with graphite. There’s a couple cheap Aldila shafts on eBay that might make this an easier decision for you. I was pretty surprised about the difference it made, that’s why I’m pushing it on you 😉 

Do it already!

WITB 2024

Dr Mizuno ST-Z

3W Cally Rogue ST Max

5W Mizuno ST-Z

4H New Level NLH-01

5/6i New Level 902 OS

7i-PW New Level 902 PD

GW/SW/LW  Mizuno S23

3 hours ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

It’s not just distance, it’s way easier to hit with graphite. There’s a couple cheap Aldila shafts on eBay that might make this an easier decision for you. I was pretty surprised about the difference it made, that’s why I’m pushing it on you 😉 

Do it already!

Good idea with graphite, a winter project maybe

My pxg 0311x 5 iron (24) carries 225+ and can roll out to 250. Thing is absurd. I was going to get another one in a lower loft but I don’t think I need one. For reference I hit my s55 5 iron around 200. But it was weaker loft than the PXG. 

Titleist 915 D3 - Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec X
Titleist 917f - Tour AD DI 7s
Adams XTD DHy 3 - KBS C Taper Lite S

Callaway Apex Utility 24 - Aerotech i110 XStiff
Ping s55 5 thru P - Modus 105x
TaylorMade R Series - 52, 56, 60 - Modus 120x
Odyssey White Hot XG #7

• 2 months later...

I play TM P790 UDI with stock hzrdus black 6.0 85g shaft. For me the shaft/club head combo is perfect! The shaft loads well and kicks like a mule at impact. Photo from my trackman session earlier today is in meters...equivalent yardage is 241/265. I hit it off the deck on the mat so could probably squeeze in few more yards off the tee. As you see, longball ain’t all about the clubhead speed!

E677F05E-4D06-4089-843D-5A76E3059029.jpeg.fa22668c8f1419c92a15c8f40d5f3895.jpeg

Edited by SamboRoll