How far do you hit your driving iron, REALLY?

Well if anybody is interested in tryin a beautiful DI made by a certain Japanese company, I can help you out. 

My "Golf Digest" WITB

Ping G400 8.5* | Tour 75X // Ping G400 Stretch 12* | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.5 // Ping G20 16.5* | Diamana WB 73X // Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW | DG X100  // Mizuno JPX 919 50/55/60 | KBS CT Lite S // Cleveland Frontline Elevado 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cool....

I wonder if some people measure in feet instead of yards.

2017 P790UDI HZRDUS black 6.5   Off the tee, 260+ definitely pulled it out on par 4's and 5's trying to play it "safe" and take water and sand out of play.. to promptly then hit it into thos

51 minutes ago, drvrwdge said:

DI’s have been very tricky for me. I first had. G410 2i and literally hit nothing but fat toe hooks or 10feet off the ground knucklers. Then went to the Srixon u85 20* and loved it but switched it out for a G410 19* hybrid for the ability to hit it off the ground but found it wasn’t as consistent off the tee. You have to figure out what you need more. Control, both of trajectory and direction off the tee or height off of the deck into par 5’s. I know have a 20* G410 crossover and feel it gives me close enough to the best of both worlds. Probably not exactly the height or spin I’d like off the deck or from the rough but it’s close and it’s automatic off the tee. I avg 245-255 carry off the tee and I’d say 235 off the deck. 

Man we played that one time and have never gotten back out. Need to do that at some point. You're still hittin it a country mile it sounds like! 

• Like 1

My "Golf Digest" WITB

Ping G400 8.5* | Tour 75X // Ping G400 Stretch 12* | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.5 // Ping G20 16.5* | Diamana WB 73X // Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 4-PW | DG X100  // Mizuno JPX 919 50/55/60 | KBS CT Lite S // Cleveland Frontline Elevado 

On 9/16/2020 at 8:01 PM, Duffner's Waggle said:

How did you like the feel? I had the SIM UDI for about 12 minutes because it just felt like crap even on flushed shots. 

I think its that Thump shaft. I want to put a Evenflow white in it and try it out.

SIM 9* Tensei Pro White
TS3 16.5* EvenFlow White 75
TS3 19* EvenFlow White 90
Mavrik Pro 4-PW PX Flighted 6.0
MD5 Jaws 50/54/58 Nippon 125 Wedge
Mannkrafted WAVE
TP5x / Bridgestone Tour B XS

I hit a 716 t-mb 3 iron with a kbs c-taper 130x around 220 carry. 

Taylormade M3 9.5 W/ Fujikura Atmos TS 6X 

TaylorMade M3 17 HL W/ Fujikura Atmos TS Black 7X

Titleist 816 T-MB 3i W/ KBS C-Taper X

Titleist ZM Blades 4-PW W/ S300

Titleist Vokey SM Black Nickel 54(bent52)/58

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport #2 33”

My current 2i is a srixon u85 18 degree I carry about 230 and will roll to about 250 total off the tee In normal conditions. I have tried a 2 hybrid but just way over spin them, even with a lot of shaft in them. I believe to get max distance/consistency the key with a di is the shaft. I have hit three or 4 prior and this is the best because it has the most shaft (project x 6.5 like normal irons).  That is what works for me. 

Duffner’s Waggle - Based on the clubs and shafts in your avatar, you have plenty of speed. I can only guess the 2i doesn’t go as far as you want due to over spinning it.  Try an x100 like in your irons first or maybe a c taper or project x shaft. I think you will see improvement with that. Good luck. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Duffner's Waggle said:

Man we played that one time and have never gotten back out. Need to do that at some point. You're still hittin it a country mile it sounds like! 

Let’s do it! Ha and yes, distance isn’t an issue. 

Ping G410 LST Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 LST AD-DI 7x
Ping G410 20* Crossover PX EvenFlow Black 85HY 6.5
Ping iBlade 4-PW PX LZ 6.5
Glide Stealth 2.0 52/56/60 TI S400
Ping Sigma 2 Tyne Steath, Stealth shaft. PP58 Black Cord
ProV1x
Ping Hoofer Multicam

I don't have a traditional driving iron. My "driving iron" is my Wilson FG Tour V6 3 iron that's bent 1 degree strong and is used pretty much solely off the tee on tight par 4's. It gets a good amount of roll since it launches so low and ends up going about 225-230. 

Driver: Titleist TS2 w/ Graphite Design Tour AD BB 7S

5 Wood: TC Callaway XR 16 w/ PX HZDUS Black 85 6.5

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V6 w/ True Temper DG X100

Wedges: Callaway Jaws MD5 w/ True Temper DG S400

Putter: Odyssey Black Series Milled #1

On 9/18/2020 at 9:11 PM, Valtiel said:

I was referring to the Crossover, yes. Sorry for the confusion. In my head I don't think of it as a "Crossover" since in the past that has meant a much chunkier, hybrid like club whereas the G410 Crossover is much more of a player's distance iron kind of vibe. It is very hot, but on the unforgiving side. 

I'm not sure if @Long_Left is referring to same thing club but I assume so. You could Power Spec a G410 4-iron to 19*, which is practically a 2-iron, but he said 17* which is stock loft of the G410 Crossover 2-iron. 

Correct, G410 Crossover 2. On the forgiveness front, it has none to speak of for a player of my caliber... Anything above the lower third of the face goes nowhere and feedback is strong and unpleasant. It is a little more forgiving heel to toe as long as contact is made on the bottom third of the face. Challenging to hit if the tee boxes are the least bit shaggy due to teeing it essentially level with the ground.

On 9/18/2020 at 7:33 PM, Valtiel said:

I had as similar experience when testing the G410 2-iron. Definitely a lower flight and had an absolute BOMB in it when struck just *so* that added about 15-20 yards. I think there is a zone just slightly high on the face that drops spin but retains ball speed and it would just fly. I didn't love the feel though, but i'd like to try having one hotmelted at some point to see if that helps. 

I've considered adding some hotmelt to get the swingweight up a couple points. I play D4 across the set but ordered this club on a whim, it feels a little like swinging a fishing pole to me, I'm sure the counterbalanced shaft adds to that as well but it was the only thing available in an X flex. I don't have the high on the face feeling when I pop one, my longest with it are all bullets turned over that run for days, I don't feel like I can spin it at all no matter where I hit it...

19* Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli Hi with hardstepped S300, 38.75" (standard). As others have indicated that they do, I alternate between this and a V Steel 5 wood.

Generally 220yd carry, total depends on fairway grass length and firmness. My home course (kikuyu fairways) has 3 shortish par 4s where such length gives me a full wedge of some sort, plus I feel pretty confident hitting it off the deck as well.

TM M5 Tour 9* Diamana Whiteboard 73 X
TM SIM Titanium 14* Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 TX
Mizuno MP18 (MMC Fli-Hi 3-4, MMC 5-PW) DG S300 hardstepped x1
Cleveland RTX3 50/56/60 KBS C-Taper Lite 110 S
TM Ardmore 3 Black Copper