Highlands Golf Trip

So after the success my previous post in this wonderful part of WRX, I'm once again looking for some guidance. 

This time my wife and I are planning a trip to the Highlands next year, probably spring time. 

After the wonderful experience this year our criteria is still the same as it was for this years trip, we are looking for smaller hidden gem courses. We may decide to to fit in a larger course however the plan is to stick predominately with the smaller courses.  

Thank you in advance for any help you guys will no doubt provide. My knowledge of highlands golf outside of the big courses is very limited. .

I can only speak about Fortrose and Rosemarkie which is well worth the play being on a lovely peninsula and a few miles south of Dornoch. Also Brora which is on the northside of Dornoch and an acknowledged gem although I was not so rapt. If you have not played Dornoch then do not even contemplate missing it.

Get the books!  Ferguson's and also the Hidden Gems book authored by a husband and wife which gives insights into each course for the men and the ladies.

Dornoch is a wonderful base, IMO.

There are lots of courses up the coast from Dornoch and all the way up and around are a couple that are considered smaller tracks. 

If you are on the west side at all, not far from Glenfinnan, check out the true links and gem, Traigh!

Royal Dornoch - must play, awesome course.

Brora - almost a spiritual experience for us.

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2020 at 2:17 AM, Hawkeye77 said:

Get the books!  Ferguson's and also the Hidden Gems book authored by a husband and wife which gives insights into each course for the men and the ladies.

Dornoch is a wonderful base, IMO.

There are lots of courses up the coast from Dornoch and all the way up and around are a couple that are considered smaller tracks. 

If you are on the west side at all, not far from Glenfinnan, check out the true links and gem, Traigh!

Royal Dornoch - must play, awesome course.

Brora - almost a spiritual experience for us.

Cheers Hawkeye. 

I've seen Fergusons book before however it struck me as being more about planning a trip from the US. I don't have issues with travel or accommodation as I'm a Brit and driving up. 

The second book looks very interesting and much more in line with what I was after.  Some advice about courses (especially smaller less known) and from both a male and female perspective is even better. 

Edited by Jedaigeki
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jedaigeki said:

Cheers Hawkeye. 

I've seen Fergusons book before however it struck me as being more about planning a trip from the US. I don't have issues with travel or accommodation as I'm a Brit and driving up. 

The second book looks very interesting and much more in line with what I was after.  Some advice about courses (especially smaller less known) and from both a male and female perspective is even better. 

You are correct, the first half of the book is trip planning, not necessarily just from the U.S. as far as some suggested itineraries that would be universal.  The second half has his impressions of a lot of courses, fairly brief, but I found them helpful.  I actually hired him for about 1-2 hours of his time to help out with some suggestions and answer questions and when one of our lodgings fell apart several months later (not his fault, but a place he had recommended - the owner goofed and double booked it) at pretty much the last minute, he was right there on the phone/internet with me on a Sunday morning trying to figure out Plan B in St. Andrews which wasn't easy, believe me.  Great guy, but he's out of the Scotland golf trip planning end of things now, as I understand it.

The other book - Golf In Scotland:  The Hidden Gems is by Bob and Annie Jones and it really does focus on the "lesser known" courses, including the 9 holers.  Not a lot of crossover between the two books as far as courses, so for our planning, which included some of the "bigger" names and other areas, I found both to be great for our purposes.  Ferguson has much more detailed info of places to stay, etc., but our arrangements mostly came from searching rental houses and flats and I relied on TripAdvisor for restaurants (not a ton of options in Dornoch, and a gem of a place that had just opened when we arrived had to close this year, but we had good meals everywhere in the north as I recall). Her insights from "the forward tees" were neat and for some courses they have some interesting tidbits of this or that bit of history you may encounter.

• Like 1

I emailed the courses around Dornoch earlier this summer. Not a single reply..(still waiting).

They are all eye wateringly expensive compared to England. You are going to have to look very hard for a bargain, I don’t think there are any on the coast around Inverness, or the other side of the firth.

We played Brora later in the day and got a good rate, and the pro offered us an even better replay deal for the next morning, which would usually be a prime $ time.  Royal Dornoch on an evening when you have plenty of time to finish isn't outrageous - actually got better for us because my caddie, who was a member, invited my daughter and I to play later in the week after having fun the first round - cost next to nothing.  Yes, the prime time we played on Sunday was expensive, but worth it, IMO, but that's a value judgment. There's some kind of pass you can get up there (maybe a couple of different kinds) for some courses you'll recognize and some you won't - just bounce around on some of the smaller courses' websites.  The 9 hole courses OP seems interested in sure seemed reasonable in that area and down south and around. Bounce around on the name courses as well and always be cognizant of certain times of day when rates can be cheaper.  Lots of courses in the husband and wife book that you probably wouldn't find or go looking for just based on the forums, although there is at least one good Scotland golf site that shows them all.

You might check one of the sites that lists the comps and keep an eye on that come Jan-Feb-March.  You might find a fun two person event or a comp you could play in that would get you on a very nice course for pennies and certainly will play any other course cheaper as well and meet some folks.

I played in one at Kilmarnock Barassie and the entry fee was dirt cheap compared to the greens fee and had a ton of fun that day with my playing companions.

On 9/15/2020 at 2:45 PM, Jedaigeki said:

So after the success my previous post in this wonderful part of WRX, I'm once again looking for some guidance. 

This time my wife and I are planning a trip to the Highlands next year, probably spring time. 

After the wonderful experience this year our criteria is still the same as it was for this years trip, we are looking for smaller hidden gem courses. We may decide to to fit in a larger course however the plan is to stick predominately with the smaller courses.  

Thank you in advance for any help you guys will no doubt provide. My knowledge of highlands golf outside of the big courses is very limited. .

The Highlands covers a lot of ground!

A few not suggested; Boat of Garten, Portmahomack and Durness.

Never played, but people I trust tell me Traigh & Gairloch are superb.

If you are driving to the Highlands:

Pitlochry is good...hilly.  Not in Scotland, but if you are driving up from Cambridge, Alnmouth Village is a very good 9 hole links...cheap as chips...takes a 1.45 to eat and play...good stretch of the legs while on a trip. From a trusted source, on the way north, Killin is meant to be good.

The Moray coast isn't the Highlands, but it is packed with good and reasonably priced golf.

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2020 at 1:44 PM, El Gringo said:

Agreed it does, but my wife is from California and considers it a small area, so when asking her where she would like to go the response I got was "the Highlands, it's not that big a place so pick somewhere".

In her defense it is small when compared to her sense of scale. 

With this whole covid thing I've put planning off until now as it didn't seem worth the trouble. It probably isn't even worth it now but I feel I should at least be making the attempt to start planning something. I'm thinking about heading the the western side of the highlands (west of Loch Ness). I've not looked into the depth of quality golf courses in that area but as were more interested in avoiding the "big name" courses than we are playing them currently I think the west will be a better and slightly cheaper choice.  

On 9/29/2020 at 1:44 PM, El Gringo said:

A few not suggested; Boat of Garten, Portmahomack and Durness.

Never played, but people I trust tell me Traigh & Gairloch are superb.

If you are driving to the Highlands:

Pitlochry is good...hilly.  Not in Scotland, but if you are driving up from Cambridge, Alnmouth Village is a very good 9 hole links...cheap as chips...takes a 1.45 to eat and play...good stretch of the legs while on a trip. From a trusted source, on the way north, Killin is meant to be good.

The Moray coast isn't the Highlands, but it is packed with good and reasonably priced golf.

I second Boat of Garten, not a long course but quite narrow, the views alone make it worth it, there are some really great holes

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

• 3 weeks later...

Cruden Bay and Cullen both north of Aberdeen for completely different reasons I view as courses you have to play.

Cruden is very Irish like, with very big dunes.  Cullen, is just Cullen.  You cannot really say much else about it.  It is absolutely awesome, ridiculous, and super interesting all at the same time.  It's not a course that Barry Bag Tag will think highly of, and it is not a course you must play every time you visit.  However, everyone should play at least once.

Inverness is a decent base of operations for a trip like this.

Cruden both may be a bit far out from Inverness as far as driving for some people, it was over 2 hours.  Cullen was just over an hour as was Dornoch.  Castle Stuart and Nairn are both around 30 minutes from Inverness from what I remember.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I am organising a Moray Coast trip for June. Plan to stay in Lossiemouth and play both Moray courses, Covesea and Cullen. Debated playing Fraserburgh, but it's a 3 hour round trip after a drive up from the Midlands...not good. Fraserburgh is better linked with an Aberdeen area trip. The green fees for the 4 days is about £135. Staying in the Links Lodge and a flat owned by the same guy above the Moray clubhouse. 70 quid each for single with breakfast. 

5 minutes ago, El Gringo said:

I am organising a Moray Coast trip for June. Plan to stay in Lossiemouth and play both Moray courses, Covesea and Cullen. Debated playing Fraserburgh, but it's a 3 hour round trip after a drive up from the Midlands...not good. Fraserburgh is better linked with an Aberdeen area trip. The green fees for the 4 days is about £135. Staying in the Links Lodge and a flat owned by the same guy above the Moray clubhouse. 70 quid each for single with breakfast. 

That sounds like an awesome trip, Cullen is a great course, I haven't played the others.

2 hours ago, Jedaigeki said:

That sounds like an awesome trip, Cullen is a great course, I haven't played the others.

Covesea is a 9 holer in the same vein as Cullen. Moray did a good deal to play both courses over two days for less than 100 quid so why not have a go. Although, I am tempted to see Duff House Royal as it is meant to have wonderful Dr Mac greens. 

3 hours ago, El Gringo said:

I stayed in the Links Lodge B&B for over a week back in April 2012.   I was in town on business, but also had time to play both courses at Moray Golf Club.    

I really enjoyed my stay in Lossiemouth.   The B&B owners offered great hospitality.   I played one round on Moray's Old Course with one of the regular guests at the B&B (he worked offshore on an oil platform half the time, then lived at the B&B while not working).   The guest fee for golf was about 10 percent of the cost of normal guest green fees.   So, don't go out and purchase a multi-day green fee ticket until you talk to the B&B owner (John, if I recall correctly).

4 hours ago, DrDon said:

I stayed in the Links Lodge B&B for over a week back in April 2012.   I was in town on business, but also had time to play both courses at Moray Golf Club.    

I really enjoyed my stay in Lossiemouth.   The B&B owners offered great hospitality.   I played one round on Moray's Old Course with one of the regular guests at the B&B (he worked offshore on an oil platform half the time, then lived at the B&B while not working).   The guest fee for golf was about 10 percent of the cost of normal guest green fees.   So, don't go out and purchase a multi-day green fee ticket until you talk to the B&B owner (John, if I recall correctly).

We are a group of 10, so no guest fee scams for us 😎

• 2 weeks later...

So looks like we are now going to the Highlands end of July (maybe) but if we do we will stay further up the coast within reach of Diss and Reay, both of which look very acceptable.

If we play Fortrose it will be to or from the airport which leaves a day or two to haggle and/or twilight the more expensive courses around Dornoch.

Its kind of this year or never for us, as I’m going with the assumption international tourism will still be very limited and we might get a bit of a deal..

• Like 1

Since I started this thread I guess I should make some update and that update is that no decision has been made one way or the other by the decisions maker in the house. 🤨

While the Highlands is still a possibility the options of heading into Wales for a weeks golf and also down to Cornwall have been thrown into the mix now. 

So my planning has gone from just narrowing down many of the above mentioned courses to fit with my budget to starting again with two other locations also. I things I do for golf. 

2 hours ago, Jedaigeki said:

Since I started this thread I guess I should make some update and that update is that no decision has been made one way or the other by the decisions maker in the house. 🤨

While the Highlands is still a possibility the options of heading into Wales for a weeks golf and also down to Cornwall have been thrown into the mix now. 

So my planning has gone from just narrowing down many of the above mentioned courses to fit with my budget to starting again with two other locations also. I things I do for golf. 

All things being equal it’s going to be simpler sticking to England this year obviously. Found golf in Cornwall fairly averagely expensive for the uk, just from a value for money pov.

if you’re going all exotic with Wales.. South has got very expensive very quickly to play any ‘name’ courses. North was much better last time I was there and my club tour is planning to go in May. Lladudno is a nice town fantastic scenery can’t recommend highly enough.. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2020 at 9:32 PM, milesgiles said:

So looks like we are now going to the Highlands end of July (maybe) but if we do we will stay further up the coast within reach of Diss and Reay, both of which look very acceptable.

If we play Fortrose it will be to or from the airport which leaves a day or two to haggle and/or twilight the more expensive courses around Dornoch.

Its kind of this year or never for us, as I’m going with the assumption international tourism will still be very limited and we might get a bit of a deal..

Booked flights and looking at Dunbeath area for a house, car hire seems pretty reasonable from Inverness. Other than that, we’ll make it up as we go, not pre booking any golf as there are enough options and we obviously don’t know the weather or covid situation ..

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/13/2020 at 8:21 AM, El Gringo said:

If you are up this way, I would definitely point you in the direction of Elgin. It’s not a links course so it does not get the publicity of Moray but it’s a great track and it’s in great condition. 

Happy to give you recommendations for other things up this way if you need any.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

17 hours ago, MattyO1984 said:

If you are up this way, I would definitely point you in the direction of Elgin. It’s not a links course so it does not get the publicity of Moray but it’s a great track and it’s in great condition. 

Happy to give you recommendations for other things up this way if you need any.

A Glaswegian on the tour says Elgin is on the short list of best courses in this area. We are giving it a miss because we are a links society, but it's intriguing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Gringo said:

A Glaswegian on the tour says Elgin is on the short list of best courses in this area. We are giving it a miss because we are a links society, but it's intriguing. 

Ah ok. I am biased, member there for 20+ years. 

Other links courses in the area worth checking out are Hopeman - really good fun and Stathlene which is quirky but playable. I hope you guys are able to make it up this way and enjoy when you do.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023