Is there a bad piece of equipment out there???

I speaking in hyperbolic. I see not one of the big OEM making bad equipment . It may not suit your eye or needs or wants but this is really the best lineups in all the years I’ve golfed. Now even the direct from factory clubs like hogan , PXG , sub 70, etc. are equal to if not greater . Even my wife’s starter set was better than most clubs in the 80s. Be glad young golf enthusiasts that you are playing in an age where science is more involved in equipment tech. 

• Like 2

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

Hard to disagree... plenty of good options for everything. 

the new trend towards cavity back wedge options is great... 

the only major gap I see in the market is a good two wood, but obviously it’s not in super high demand... personally I’d love a 300cc 13 degree wood... I’ve almost convinced myself to just buy a 13 degree driver and reshaft it, though.

As of 6/5/20

9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

50, 54, 60 Vokeys

Tank Counter Balance #7 

Competition is so fierce these days that all the major OEMS and even the DTC OEMs make stuff of top notch quality.  Boxed sets are a different story.

• Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft
1999 Ben Hogan Apex Blades (3-PW) with stock Apex 4 Steel Shafts
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts
Taylormade ATV wedges in 54 and 58 degrees with stock steel shafts
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

My thinking , though I’m not saying it’s the only reason , a lot of credit for this was Ping , but now PXG sinking a ton of money into the back end with the tech . Bob Parson needs to be recognized for that, like Karsten was in the beginning with his scientific approach. 

By the way I do not use either Ping or PXG. If I could justify it I would go PXG. And even with the incentives it’s still too expensive to play being a once a week golfer. 

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

I think there is some equipment that fails the uninformed golfer. Guys playing with 21 degree 5 irons, and 23 degree 4 hybrids and not knowing how far they hit either. 

PING G410+ 9* TPO 60S

Adams XTD 17* Fubuki 

Callaway Apex 20* AD DI 85s

Callaway Apex 23* OBAN Kiyoshi Purple

5-6 Srixon Z585 Modus 120S

7-PW Srixon Z785 Modus 120S

52 Ping Glide 3.0

56 and 60, TM Hi Toe

EVNROLL ER3

1 hour ago, cgasucks said:

Competition is so fierce these days that all the major OEMS and even the DTC OEMs make stuff of top notch quality.  Boxed sets are a different story.

I agree. They can't afford not to make good equipment. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Myherobobhope said:

Hard to disagree... plenty of good options for everything. 

the new trend towards cavity back wedge options is great... 

the only major gap I see in the market is a good two wood, but obviously it’s not in super high demand... personally I’d love a 300cc 13 degree wood... I’ve almost convinced myself to just buy a 13 degree driver and reshaft it, though.

Try to find an X2Hot 2 deep head, it's only 210cc, but it's glorious

1 hour ago, NoTalentLefty said:

My thinking , though I’m not saying it’s the only reason , a lot of credit for this was Ping , but now PXG sinking a ton of money into the back end with the tech . Bob Parson needs to be recognized for that, like Karsten was in the beginning with his scientific approach. 

By the way I do not use either Ping or PXG. If I could justify it I would go PXG. And even with the incentives it’s still too expensive to play being a once a week golfer. 

How dare you! My member member partner played with a “chipper” and I’m the one who failed the team... granted I’m a six and shot 95, but his chipper worked! Once.

As of 6/5/20

9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

50, 54, 60 Vokeys

Tank Counter Balance #7 

26 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

I think there is some equipment that fails the uninformed golfer. Guys playing with 21 degree 5 irons, and 23 degree 4 hybrids and not knowing how far they hit either. 

True, but it's fairly simple to do an internet search and find the loft of virtually any club, so long as it isn't incredibly niche and from earlier than the 90's.

There's plenty of people who buy cars with forced induction and have no idea what a turbocharger is or how it works. That's hardly a failing of the manufacturer, though.

46 minutes ago, Bubbtubbs said:

Only boxed sets or gimmicky nonsense like chippers, really. 

Everything from a reputable manufacturer is game-able.

This is what I think as well. If you are up late at night and see an infomercial, stay away.

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 UST Proforce V2 8F5
Taylormade Gapr low 2 
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

From the major manufacturers and from the well recognized Direct to Consumer outfits, everyone makes a good product. 

As far as designs, manufacturers can go down a rabbit hole, e.g., the SLDR driver.  Yeah it was great on center hits but for most people, it was absolutely punishing on anything but a center hit. 

Some of the designs, because manufacturers are chasing ball speed, have been prone to durablility issues, e.g, face slots caving in, etc, but it seems most of the designs with durability issues sustained the damage on mishits as opposed to strikes on the clubface center.

As far as equipment, these are great times to be a golfer.  I started playing golf prior to the advent of  metalwoods, graphite shafts in woods, and really advanced steel iron shafts.  R & D or improved technology  in clubs, and balls has really made the game a lot more fun. 

Edited by PJE

I think every major OEM is producing good equipment, but within all that there are models and setups that can be awful for you but the best club ever for someone else. That just means you need to find that right setup for you, so when someone says "oh I hit clubs x and it was awful but club y was amazing" take that with a big grain of salt. 

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more. 

4 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Yes...every putter out there is terrible.

Except the used anser milled I bought a few weeks ago. Glad it didn't sell on bst...didn't give it enough practice time.

I wouldn't say every putter is terrible but I will say many putters are considerably overpriced for what they are actually bring to the table in terms of feel and performance. 

43 minutes ago, PhilsFanDrew said:

I wouldn't say every putter is terrible but I will say many putters are considerably overpriced for what they are actually bring to the table in terms of feel and performance. 

No, they're all terrible. They're designed to put the ball in the hole and they don't do it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
6 hours ago, QuigleyDU said:

This is what I think as well. If you are up late at night and see an infomercial, stay away.

Also, if it shows up on your Facebook feed....move on....

• Like 1

TaylorMade SIM 10.5*, HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g 6.5
TaylorMade SIM Max 3W 15*, HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g 6.5
Titleist 818H1 21*, Tensei Pro White 90S
Taylormade P770 4-PW, KBS Tour 120 S
Titleist Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58M

TaylorMade Spider X
SM 4.5LS 14 Way

I feel they all make great equipment, top to bottom. It is a matter of picking what works and looks best to you. 

TM M5 Tour 430 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM SIM 19 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
TM GAPR Mid 4 iron 20 Fujikara Fuel
TM GAPR Mid 5 iron 23 Aldila RIP 
TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
TM Milled Grind Satin 58 Nippon Pro WV115
TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.

48 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

That Steadfast shaft wasn't good

You got me... I didn't say I was immune. haha. 

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 UST Proforce V2 8F5
Taylormade Gapr low 2 
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

On 9/15/2020 at 4:36 PM, Dr. Block said:

The only bad equipment is the equipment that is not properly fit to your swing and specs 

I have a friend that bought a driver off craigslist that was the current year's model (at the time), but the shaft was an inch and a half short in stiff, but he is taller than I am with a grandpa speed swing.  Needless to say he's never hit it well.

The worst off the shelf club I've ever was another buddy's Nike Sasquatch.  It always sounded like a miss hit, and he would murder that thing into the trees every time.  I can't tell you how much time he spent in the woods looking for balls until he finally got a new driver.  I bet he gamed that club for three years.  I'm not exaggerating when I say he probably put less than half the balls he hit with that thing in play.