Is there such a thing as single-piece forged players distance irons?

As I get a little older and less flexible, I am looking to keep my distances as best as I can. 

As used to play single piece forgings (j40dpc, Srixon ZTX) but noticed I could use the help on distance. 

I am currently giving P-790s a try but I am always missing that single piece forged iron feel and sound. 

Is there such a thing as a forged single piece players distance iron?

I do know it has more to do with the lofting, as more and more manufacturers are making stronger lofted irons, but I dont want to simply bend an iron to get more distance.

I don’t know of any.

distance irons require faces that flex which means they are either floating faces or have some sort of foam... both require multiple pieces. 

As of 6/5/20

9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

50, 54, 60 Vokeys

Tank Counter Balance #7 

6 minutes ago, ThreeBoxers said:

JPX Forged to my knowledge is single billet forging with a machined undercut cavity.

This is the only correct answer. The JPX 921 irons are a single piece forged iron that I think would fall in the players distance iron category. 

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 UST Proforce V2 8F5
Taylormade Gapr low 2 
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

I am still singing the praise of the New Level 1126, there is offset, but these are as long as my 919HMP's

Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 10* HZDRUS Smoke Yellow 60
Taylormade RBZ Tour 3 & 5 woods Stock OZIK's
Sub70 699 Pro Utility 22* DG105 (on order)
New Level 1126 DG105 (5-P)
New Level M 49* DG105
Callaway MD5 54X DG115
Callaway MD4 58X DG115
Taylormade Mullen 2
Titleist AVX

New Level 902?

PING G410+ 9* TPO 60S

Adams XTD 17* Fubuki 

Callaway Apex 20* AD DI 85s

Callaway Apex 23* OBAN Kiyoshi Purple

5-6 Srixon Z585 Modus 120S

7-PW Srixon Z785 Modus 120S

52 Ping Glide 3.0

56 and 60, TM Hi Toe

EVNROLL ER3

Edited by spring7
wrong thread
Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 10* HZDRUS Smoke Yellow 60
Taylormade RBZ Tour 3 & 5 woods Stock OZIK's
Sub70 699 Pro Utility 22* DG105 (on order)
New Level 1126 DG105 (5-P)
New Level M 49* DG105
Callaway MD5 54X DG115
Callaway MD4 58X DG115
Taylormade Mullen 2
Titleist AVX

PXG 0311P Gen3 irons are what you are looking for in terms of forged, single piece, outstanding feel, and lots of distance.

Edited by BirdieBob

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9*, Accra TZ6/M5, 72g X
CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3+ Wood, 13.5*, Accra TZ6/M4, 80g X
CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3 Wood, 15*, Accra TZ6/M5, 80g X
CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 5 Wood, 18*, Accra TZ6/M5, 90g X
CALLAWAY Super Hybrid, 16*, NS Pro Modus Hybrid GOST, 102g X
TAYLORMADE SIM DHY, #4, Diamana Thump HY, 105g, X
TAYLORMADE P-7TW, 3 - P, TW Lofts, DG AMT Tour White, x100
VOKEY SM8 "BIRDIE BOB" CUSTOM BRUSHED STEEL, 53/9F; 58/8M, DG TI s400 ONYX
SCOTTY CAMERON Custom BOS Torched Newport 2 Putter
NIKE Sport Lite Carry Bag, Black

921t bent 1 or 2 degrees strong

Ping G400 Max 10.5* Fubuki K 60x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x
Callaway GBB 19* Aldila NVS 85x
Apex '16 4h 23* Fubuki ax400h 82x

Apex ‘16 5h 27* Mitsu KuroKage 90s

Ping s55 6 - PW Fujikura MCI 100s

Ping Glide 49*, 54* & 59* wrx Recoil 110s
Piretti Matera Elite

As said above. Whichever club you like bent 2* strong

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

I think to meet your one-piece forged criteria (tungsten weighting allowed) you’re basically looking at irons with stronger lofts to go with heads that have succeeded at creating an optimal launch/controlled spin to squeeze out as much distance as they can from a forged iron. 

The 919 Forged would be one to look at for sure. Couldn’t warm up to them in demo, but they are long. I really liked the 900 Forged and thought the 919 was not as pure at impact. 

I am playing the New Level 902s now and I think they feel very nice. They are a blend of the J15CB/J40DPC, have a 32 degree 7 iron and definitely play long in their category. Sneaky long. I’m getting longer, more powerful carry. Similar offset to the Bridgestones, slightly shorter blade length. Sole is more similar to the J15 which is fine but also my only knock. I really loved the sole of the J40 DPC and still prefer it.

If I could get more distance out of a J40DPC, that iron’s turf interaction and sound is hard to beat. They’re not short but they’re not long. 

The Srixon 785 might surprise you. It is long. Lower spin head is perfect for many players and it can get it out there. Lots of love for them. Srixon is top notch across the board. 

These designs might not deliver spring-faced distances but some heads won’t be far behind and all these irons will be excellent for distance consistency. 

• Like 1

Player's distance means something different to everyone.

Stronger lofts?  Piles of irons out there meet the criteria.  Stronger loft reduces spin (based on the number on the bottom) so therefore it goes longer.  If you want the spin reducing even more, then spring like face is involved.  

Two that either meet your requirements or are close are the JPX21 Forged and the Titleist T100.

I have no clue about how the Titleist is made, but strike me as one that thinks the JPX21 forged doesn't feel very good.  The tour feels much better, but does not have the "jacked lofts" or the springy face.  The JPX21 forged has the jacked lofts and one piece forged and then milled head to get you what you are looking for.  I know plenty of people that like the way the JPX forged feels, but having played Srixon 745 and 765's and J40CB and DPC split set they feel nowhere near as good, to me.

I despise all things Titleist, but the T100s may be exactly what you are looking for.  They feel very good, to me, again having played the J40 split set and then two sets of Srixon irons.  They have the jacked lofts, and the spin is down a bit, but not as low as the JPX forged was when I tried them.  My Sub70 foray seems to be working, but if it doesn't, as much as it pains me to say it, I will be looking at the T100 next.

Edited by driveandputtmachine
  • Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G410 LST on HZRDOUS Yellow
  • 3 Wood - TM M5 (15*) on HZRDOUS Yellow or Ping G410 (14.5*) on HZRDOUS yellow
  • Hybrid - Ping G400 17* on Tour 85. ************* Member Tester TE Exotics Pro 17* on Tensei AV silver ****************
  • Irons - SUB70 testing ongoing
  • Wedges - Cleveland 50 and 54 CBX2 and RTX4 @ 58 and 62
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or  Mannkrafted MA/66
  • Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

I can't explain it, but the Wilson Staff Model is long. I saw an extra club in distance both times I've compared them in a fitting environment. I fight high spin, so it's possible that these are spin-reducing heads that perfectly mesh with my needs. I'd be a little intimidated to play them in the long irons, but it's worth considering.