Tiger Woods New Putter Grip - Lamkin Cord

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Too much paint in the block letters, throws the feel off.  The scripted letters allow him to release the putter head more.

Deep etch grip sales about to sky rocket...

New, unused. $5,000 OBO. Add $2 for shipping west of the Mississippi.    

Posted Images

That is WILD because both the Ping and Lamkin cord grips are around 85 grams, so that's ~25 grams heavier than the normal PP58. Not exactly a subtle change.

G400 Max
M6 3W

RBZ Hybrid
MP20 MMC 4 Iron
MP20 MB 5-W
Raw SM7 53*

Raw Mizuno T20 58*
PM Grind 64*
Special Select Newport 2

12 minutes ago, gators78 said:

That is WILD because both the Ping and Lamkin cord grips are around 85 grams, so that's ~25 grams heavier than the normal PP58. Not exactly a subtle change.

True, but does putter grip weight actually make much of a difference in feel?  I've found texture and size to obviously make a difference, but never really noticed weight to matter much.  But then again I have < .001 % of TW's perceptions.

• FormerClubPro changed the title to Tiger Woods New Putter Grip - Lamkin Cord
12 minutes ago, brew4eagle said:

True, but does putter grip weight actually make much of a difference in feel?  I've found texture and size to obviously make a difference, but never really noticed weight to matter much.  But then again I have < .001 % of TW's perceptions.

Yes, about 5 grams in grip change adjusts by 1 swingweight (ballpark), so let's say it is 85 grams, he just reduced what is normally a D7 putter by ~5 points.

Edited by gators78
  • Like 1

G400 Max
M6 3W

RBZ Hybrid
MP20 MMC 4 Iron
MP20 MB 5-W
Raw SM7 53*

Raw Mizuno T20 58*
PM Grind 64*
Special Select Newport 2

4 minutes ago, gators78 said:

Yes, about 5 grams in grip change adjusts by 1 swingweight (ballpark), so let's say it is 85 grams, he just reduced what is normally a D7 putter by ~5 points.

True, but swingweight and grip weight is not nearly the same feel difference as a swingweight change via head weight.  The ol 'tricks the scale' applies even more so to putters in my experience. 

• Like 2

That grip looks like he has had it for awhile laying around...does anyone notice the old branding of the Lamkin logo?

• Like 2

Driver: Cally FT Tour 9.5 Deg // Fubuki J 60g X flex
3 Wood: Titleist 909F3 15 Deg // Fubuki K 80g X flex
Hybird: TM R15 19 Deg // Fuji TS 9.8 X Flex
Irons: TM MC (2011) 4-PW // Project X 6.5
Wedges: Cally X Jaws CC 52*, MD2 56* & 60* // KBS Wedge X Flex
Putter: Scotty Cameron GoLo
Bag: Titelst StaDry

3 minutes ago, toc said:

Too much paint in the block letters, throws the feel off.  The scripted letters allow him to release the putter head more.

That is why I am missing putts right?! I wonder if he wants the logo in the middle of the grip so he doesn't feel the block letters under his right thumb. So Lamkin prob loaded up an old mold since it is way cheaper than making a new one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Make sure to follow the TG2 podcast!

Instagram

Twitter

iTunes

SoundCloud

Spotify

Did Tiger use the Lamkin grip when he was in college? Golf Channel article seems to hint at it.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/tiger-woods-sticking-old-scotty-cameron-week-winged-foot

Woods had switched to a new version of his Cameron Newport putter with a longer shaft at Harding Park, where he ranked 36th in the field in putts, but he has returned the original to his bag with a new grip similar to the grip he used in college.

Capture.PNG.b46dc29754e00e47451b3c2111c96954.PNG

Edited by grm24

Love this grip. Been using it on and off for years. Is that also a new shaft? I thought he used the standard stepped steel shaft, but may just be the lighting in the photo.

1 hour ago, brew4eagle said:

True, but swingweight and grip weight is not nearly the same feel difference as a swingweight change via head weight.  The ol 'tricks the scale' applies even more so to putters in my experience. 

While I agree that it's not as much of a difference compared to normal clubs due to the angle with which we hold the putter. I've always found grip changes to have noticeable effects on the perceived swing weight. It's especially easy to test with the Super Stroke grips with the 25-50 gram weight in the butt (although these are pretty big changes). When adding the 50 gram weight the putter feels too easy to swing without adding weight to the head to compensate.

Taylormade SIM 9* (@ 7.5*), Hzrdus Smoke Black 75X

Taylormade SIM Max 15*, Hzrdus Smoke Black 85X

Ping G25 17*, Ping TFC 189H Tour X-flex

Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW, DG X100

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 60, DG X100

SC Newport 2 Select, UST Mamiya FF Composite Shaft

Srixon Z-Star XV

6 minutes ago, TheMoneyShot said:

Yes they are for sure!

Can you even purchase the pistol version of the deep etched cord at the moment? I thought that only the paddle version was available at retail.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5° w/ Aldila Rogue White 70 130MSI X
Titleist U510 1 Iron 16° w/ Fuji Atmos Black Tour Spec 9X
Titleist U510 2 Iron 18° w/ PX 6.0
Titleist 680 MB 3-PW w/ DG X100
TaylorMade MG2 TW 56°, 60° w/ DGS400
Odyssey White Hot Tour 7H 33"

2 hours ago, brew4eagle said:

Another thing a change that big in weight can do is change the transition. A heavier grip can cause the head to lag a little more or less depending on how the hands interpret the new weight. I would assume tiger has been on SAM puttlab with the new grip to make sure it didn't negatively alter path, tempo, rotation, etc.

50 minutes ago, PhlashPhace said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this is linked to Stricker.  Could be as simple as he and Stricker were chatting on the practice green and Tiger grabbed his putter and liked how the grip felt.

This happened years ago iirc

Wow, first I put the Tensei Orange in play back in the beginning of 2017 and then JUST last week I put a version of this same grip on my putter. I keep being made to retroactively look like a stalker. ? 

• Haha 1

Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
Titleist 915FD 14.25* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade TP UDI 16* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Titleist 915FD 17.25* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Titleist 818 H118.25* Diamana Kai'li s103x Prototype
Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

3 hours ago, gators78 said:

That is the most significant part to me, that is a big time feel difference, especially for someone like him. 

3 hours ago, brew4eagle said:

It definitely does. Adding more weight like that definitely changes the feel of the head, and if Tiger is going to a longer shaft to help his back then I wouldn't be surprised if this change coincides with that to help with the head release he talks so much about. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
Titleist 915FD 14.25* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade TP UDI 16* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Titleist 915FD 17.25* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Titleist 818 H118.25* Diamana Kai'li s103x Prototype
Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum