2020 Ping Hoofer Lite Vs Sun Mountain 3.5

userwasx

23 hours ago, Nixhex524 said:

So, I pulled the trigger, on the Hoofer Lite.  I really like the Hoofer, but I'm thinking it is more bag than I need.  I don't carry much so the Hoofer Lite might be more suited to my life and game and I did prefer the colorways of the Lite.  My ONLY concern is the club tangle, will report back for sure.  

Walked today with the Sm 3.5. Straps were good. Almost no club tangle when verticals and with stand out. Bag overall was nice and slightly lighter than ping. At end of the round I noticed the seem near the bottom base was starting to come apart. Quality is def a continued concern long term.   Ping quality seems better with some extra weight and mire club tangle. 

1 hour ago, userwasx said:

Walked today with the Sm 3.5. Straps were good. Almost no club tangle when verticals and with stand out. Bag overall was nice and slightly lighter than ping. At end of the round I noticed the seem near the bottom base was starting to come apart. Quality is def a continued concern long term.   Ping quality seems better with some extra weight and mire club tangle. 

Thats a real bummer if the seam is coming apart... it's the one thing that keeps me away from the SM bags.  I carried my Z85 tonight for 9 and it was really good, but I think shedding a little weight with the HL might be just right.  Looking forward to getting it out, I have zero worries about the quality whereas I would definitely with the SM.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

27 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

Thats a real bummer if the seam is coming apart... it's the one thing that keeps me away from the SM bags.  I carried my Z85 tonight for 9 and it was really good, but I think shedding a little weight with the HL might be just right.  Looking forward to getting it out, I have zero worries about the quality whereas I would definitely with the SM.

To me biggest prob with hoofer is tangle and stand. Rest seems solid. 

Pretty sure I am about to go from a 3 wedge set up (below PW) to a 2 wedge set up again, so I will be carrying 13... hoping this might help with tangle.  Minuses to both bags but I think I would rather have tangle than have the bag break down.  The 3.5 cost almost as much as the Hoofer so considerably less than the HL...  I can deal with minor imperfections...

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

1 minute ago, Nixhex524 said:

Pretty sure I am about to go from a 3 wedge set up (below PW) to a 2 wedge set up again, so I will be carrying 13... hoping this might help with tangle.  Minuses to both bags but I think I would rather have tangle than have the bag break down.  The 3.5 cost almost as much as the Hoofer so considerably less than the HL...  I can deal with minor imperfections...

3.5 I think is more expensive. Found the ping for $170

• Like 1

For those who may be interested and/or haven’t heard it before, the Hoofer series base folds as a complete unit when the legs are extended. Other bags either have a foot/extension, or the base is segmented, and only part articulates.

The Hoofer system makes them very stable on the ground. The downside is that the dividers crease and the volume in the base decreases significantly, resulting in club drag. The solution is to move clubs in or out when the bag is upright. It’s not quite as convenient, but it’s not a difficult habit to cultivate.

3068A5FB-FB28-41A3-90EE-85341E8EF39B.jpeg

• Like 1

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

On 9/16/2020 at 8:13 PM, userwasx said:

To me biggest prob with hoofer is tangle and stand. Rest seems solid. 

I walked 18 again with 3.5. The pockets were good. Clubs easy to move when parked with stand. The straps were nit as comfortable this time. 

Also used it today on a cart. Surprisingly more tangle on the cart. Also moved around a lot as cart was driven. Had to tighten a lot. 

Check my post history, I've tried out numerous stand bags over the last couple of years from all different brands, including SM and Ping.  FOR ME, every bag has lacked SOMETHING, whether it be functional or aesthetic.  My conclusion is that the overall build quality of the Ping is second to none, combined with just enough features and wrapped up in pretty traditional styling, made the Hoofer Lite my choice. 

I'm currently using a custom Hoofer Lite (previous model) and Ping really has improved on this by adding a cart strap pass-through.  Is there tangle when the legs are deployed?  Yes but like @Jeff58 mentioned, there's a super simple solution that becomes second nature after walking only a couple holes.  

Edited by madeinguam81
  • Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver
Ping G430 Max 3 and 5 Wood

Cobra RAD Speed 4 Hybrid 
Srixon ZX5, 5i-PW  
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 - 50, 55, 60
Odyssey 2Ball TEN Tour-Lined, White Hot insert

Update from Ping Customer Service, they told me lean the bag against a wall or use the legs to lean it over and stand it that way.

Love the bag, best carry bag I have ever had, quality is much better than Sun Mountain.

Callaway Mavrik - Fujikura Pro 2.0 6-S stiff 
Tour Edge 3 wood - Mitsubishi Fubuki HL-55 stiff 
Callaway Apex 21 3 hybrid - UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HYB stiff
Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal 5-PW - Nippon N.S. PROGH neo stiff 

Haywood Signature 48°, 52°, 56°, 60° - KBS Tour stiff
PXG One & Done

3 hours ago, madeinguam81 said:

Check my post history, I've tried out numerous stand bags over the last couple of years from all different brands, including SM and Ping.  FOR ME, every bag has lacked SOMETHING, whether it be functional or aesthetic.  My conclusion is that the overall build quality of the Ping is second to none, combined with just enough features and wrapped up in pretty traditional styling, made the Hoofer Lite my choice. 

I'm currently using a custom Hoofer Lite (previous model) and Ping really has improved on this by adding a cart strap pass-through.  Is there tangle when the legs are deployed?  Yes but like @Jeff58 mentioned, there's a super simple solution that becomes second nature after walking only a couple holes.  

This is exactly how I feel.  There just isnt the perfect bag, I don't know why, but I believe there could be by incorporating characteristics of a few.  My HL is coming today but I am honestly on the fence about keeping it.  The club tangle really bothered me in my last one and I only carried 13.  I will say, the Srixon Z85 has been really good.  Much better construction than the previous Z Four with less pockets and its the same weight as the regular Hoofer, so only a half pound more than the HL.  I will load up the HL when it comes and compare but with tangle being almost non existent in the Z85,  it's going to be tough to beat if I am being honest.  The straps are comfortable so carrying it is pleasant, my back just doesnt seem to like me after doing so...  

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

53 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

This is exactly how I feel.  There just isnt the perfect bag, I don't know why, but I believe there could be by incorporating characteristics of a few.  My HL is coming today but I am honestly on the fence about keeping it.  The club tangle really bothered me in my last one and I only carried 13.  I will say, the Srixon Z85 has been really good.  Much better construction than the previous Z Four with less pockets and its the same weight as the regular Hoofer, so only a half pound more than the HL.  I will load up the HL when it comes and compare but with tangle being almost non existent in the Z85,  it's going to be tough to beat if I am being honest.  The straps are comfortable so carrying it is pleasant, my back just doesnt seem to like me after doing so...  

HL is only a pound more fully loaded.  the SM 3.5 was 22.2 pounds with everything and the HL is 23.6 pounds.  Straps on the HL are much better IMO.

• Like 1

Honestly, I feel like if all of the dividers were full length on the Hoofer, I probably already would have purchased it. It's a really nice looking bag, seems to be good quality, I like the cart pass through strap area, and everyone seems to have almost universally good things to say about it.

However, I worry about the potential for club tangle. My old callaway bag could be pretty bad about that, but the SM Phantom 14-way cart bag has been goo about no club tangle since every opening has a full length divider.

The Mizuno BRD4 6-way could fit the bill, but I can't figure out if all of the dividers are full length, or if there are still openings between some of the sections like on the Hoofer.

To Nixhex's point - I feel like there should be some manufacturer that could put all the various best things from all bags into one bag for the win.

7 minutes ago, NativeTxn said:

Honestly, I feel like if all of the dividers were full length on the Hoofer, I probably already would have purchased it. It's a really nice looking bag, seems to be good quality, I like the cart pass through strap area, and everyone seems to have almost universally good things to say about it.

However, I worry about the potential for club tangle. My old callaway bag could be pretty bad about that, but the SM Phantom 14-way cart bag has been goo about no club tangle since every opening has a full length divider.

The Mizuno BRD4 6-way could fit the bill, but I can't figure out if all of the dividers are full length, or if there are still openings between some of the sections like on the Hoofer.

To Nixhex's point - I feel like there should be some manufacturer that could put all the various best things from all bags into one bag for the win.

The Hoofer Lite has full length dividers.

1 hour ago, userwasx said:

The Hoofer Lite has full length dividers.

When I was messing around with them and the regular Hoofer yesterday, it's got 2 or 3 full length, but there was no full length running along the "middle" spine of the top, if that makes sense. In other words, I could stick my hand in one of the openings on the right, and could then reach into the space under the left opening.

That's where I'm concerned there could be tangle - basically on the horizontal axis if you were looking at the bag from above.

4 minutes ago, NativeTxn said:

When I was messing around with them and the regular Hoofer yesterday, it's got 2 or 3 full length, but there was no full length running along the "middle" spine of the top, if that makes sense. In other words, I could stick my hand in one of the openings on the right, and could then reach into the space under the left opening.

That's where I'm concerned there could be tangle - basically on the horizontal axis if you were looking at the bag from above.

Got it, i think the lite has the same issue.

So my HL came, and it does have some cool redesign features from my previous HL.... The pockets are MUCH more accessible and roomy, the cart strap pass through is a cool idea and I like the range finder pocket in the large garment area.  I have 13 clubs in there ATM and have been pulling them and putting them back in with the bag's legs deployed, so far the tangle is not as bad as I remember which is nice but the straps do not feel all that comfortable while its on my back.  I will carry it Friday and see how it goes.  Nothing about it "WOWS" me but overall its a nice looking bag and does feel a bit lighter than my Srixon Z85.  Only thing I am not a fan of is the zippered cooler pocket, it really fits nothing whereas my Z85 could fit a 40oz hydroflask...  Overall, really nice though.

2020 HL.jpg

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

4 minutes ago, Nixhex524 said:

So my HL came, and it does have some cool redesign features from my previous HL.... The pockets are MUCH more accessible and roomy, the cart strap pass through is a cool idea and I like the range finder pocket in the large garment area.  I have 13 clubs in there ATM and have been pulling them and putting them back in with the bag's legs deployed, so far the tangle is not as bad as I remember which is nice but the straps do not feel all that comfortable while its on my back.  I will carry it Friday and see how it goes.  Nothing about it "WOWS" me but overall its a nice looking bag and does feel a bit lighter than my Srixon Z85.  Only thing I am not a fan of is the zippered cooler pocket, it really fits nothing whereas my Z85 could fit a 40oz hydroflask...  Overall, really nice though.

2020 HL.jpg

i got the same color combo, looks good!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Break68 said:

Update from Ping Customer Service, they told me lean the bag against a wall or use the legs to lean it over and stand it that way.

Love the bag, best carry bag I have ever had, quality is much better than Sun Mountain.

??? huh ???

Were you just trying to stand it up on it's own in the middle of a room? Of course it's going to tip over. It's not a big cart or staff bag.

• Haha 1

On 9/15/2020 at 8:48 PM, userwasx said:

Anyone also consider the Vessel VLX STAND?  Looks nice but single strap could be an issue!  The white looks nice!

Vlx is offered in both single and double strap options.  Think it’s too small for 5 pounds though.  

WITB

Titleist TSR3 - HZRDUS Black

Stealth+ 2.0 at 16 degrees

G430 7 wood, flat minus 1.5

Ping I210's (again)

Glide 4.0 48, 53, 58

Ping Anser PLD

Pro V1X 

Bag - Hoofer Lite

15 hours ago, NativeTxn said:

Club tangle is not about how many full length dividers. See Jeff58's post, above. The grip end of the clubs are jammed together when you extend the legs, them unjammed when you pick the bag up, then jammed again when you extend the legs again. They are being tangled every time you pick up or set down the bag. This design also precludes the dividers being attached to the floor of the bag.

If you want a Ping bag or any of the other bags with a tilting-floor "hoof" mechanism your clubs will tangle. The only way around it, as Jeff58 points out, is to always insert and remove clubs while holding the bag upright so that the floor is not tilted. 

For me, it doesn't matter if the rest of the bag is absolutely perfect in every other way. If I can't insert and remove clubs without holding the bag upright and if the bag topples over when I try to prop it vertically up against the wall for storage the bag is unacceptable. Plenty of golfers are willing to put up with those inconveniences because some of the Ping bags are otherwise marvelous. But you can't find a Ping stand bag without those two drawbacks. 

Edited by North Butte

20 minutes ago, North Butte said:

Club tangle is not about how many full length dividers. See Jeff58's post, above. The grip end of the clubs are jammed together when you extend the legs, them unjammed when you pick the bag up, then jammed again when you extend the legs again. They are being tangled every time you pick up or set down the bag. This design also precludes the dividers being attached to the floor of the bag.

If you want a Ping bag or any of the other bags with a tilting-floor "hoof" mechanism your clubs will tangle. The only way around it, as Jeff58 points out, is to always insert and remove clubs while holding the bag upright so that the floor is not tilted. 

For me, it doesn't matter if the rest of the bag is absolutely perfect in every other way. If I can't insert and remove clubs without holding the bag upright and if the bag topples over when I try to prop it vertically up against the wall for storage the bag is unacceptable. Plenty of golfers are willing to put up with those inconveniences because some of the Ping bags are otherwise marvelous. But you can't find a Ping stand bag without those two drawbacks. 

No stand bag should be stored that way, but if any bag has a chance of succeeding it would be a PING with the fully flat base.  I can't argue about the tangle, but for me it's worth it for every other feature the HL nails.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

I have an older Titleist Lightweight Stand bag from the last year before Titleist switched from Sun Mountain to whoever makes their bags now. It still has the Sun Mountain style external foot actuator for the legs.

It has spent every day for the past 4-5 years standing on the floor full of clubs, waiting for my next round. It works fine that way, as did the ancient Titleist Ultralight that I had for many years before that. 

I'm not sure the newest extremely lightweight SM bags will stand on their own. The 2.5 I looked at a couple years ago was pretty flimsy. But most SM stand on their own just fine, although I usually leave my bag in a corner just so nobody will bump into it and knock it over. 

Mini-review -

I always carry whenever the course and/or event allows. I consider the exercise and exertion to be part of the game. I know that carrying does adversely effect my score, particularly when playing more than 18 holes or on successive days.

What matters most to me is how a bag carries. Pretty much everything else, as long it it is tolerable, is secondary. My local shop, with whom I’m in good standing, allowed me to test any bag in the store. I loaded each with my 14 clubs and 10lbs of water and walked around the ‘block’, which was about 200 yards.

What I found -

The majority of stand bags, such as the regular Hoofer, have round bodies. That makes them better when attaching to a trolly or cart, but makes them wobble and concentrate the bag’s weight on a single point rather than evenly distributed across your back. The Hoofer Lite fits almost as well as a well-designed backpack, and was the only one to achieve that.

Every 14-way top bag rubbed against my side when putting on/off or carrying. Every one. This was not a wonderful experience. The Hoofer Lite’s top is unnoticeable in all regards.

Bags that were otherwise well designed for carrying (such as Nike and SM) had thin and soft (cheap) foam shoulder straps. This ‘feature’ isn’t obvious when a bag isn’t loaded, but when fully loaded, and sampled back to back with others, can become almost painfully obvious. Any bag that cheaped out in this regard was rejected regardless of its other qualities. Here again, the Hoofer Lite had easily the best straps of any I tried.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

Carried my HL today for it's first time out..  I will say, the tangle is not as bad as I had expected it to be, even with the legs deployed.  I am happy about it.  The pockets and features are awesome when the bag is on the back.  It does feel a little heavier than expected so I dont know how often I will be carrying but overall, the bag functions great and looks awesome.  

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2020 at 2:08 PM, Nixhex524 said:

Carried my HL today for it's first time out..  I will say, the tangle is not as bad as I had expected it to be, even with the legs deployed.  I am happy about it.  The pockets and features are awesome when the bag is on the back.  It does feel a little heavier than expected so I dont know how often I will be carrying but overall, the bag functions great and looks awesome.  

I have been using the HL now for the past 4 rounds.  Going to stick with it. Great feel and tangle is not bothering me as much as I thought it would.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, userwasx said:

I have been using the HL now for the past 4 rounds.  Going to stick with it. Great feel and tangle is not bothering me as much as I thought it would.

Same here, I don't know what they did differently, but the tangle issue is nowhere near as bad as it used to be.  Loving mine as well!

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

3 hours ago, Nixhex524 said:

Same here, I don't know what they did differently, but the tangle issue is nowhere near as bad as it used to be.  Loving mine as well!

I guess it depends on which previous bag you're comparing to.  The new Hoofer Lite has the same tangle issues as the 2016-2017 4 Series and Hoofer models in my experience.  It's not terrible, but it's not improved at all coming from those models.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

13 hours ago, brew4eagle said:

I guess it depends on which previous bag you're comparing to.  The new Hoofer Lite has the same tangle issues as the 2016-2017 4 Series and Hoofer models in my experience.  It's not terrible, but it's not improved at all coming from those models.

Yeah, IDK... I had a 4 series, which was great, then a 2018 (?) HL.  The 2020 is better than both for me.  Granted, I carry 13, but I did when I had those other bags, too.  I can see how 14 MIGHT be an issue.  

Ping Anser Milled 2  34"