The end of Tiger’s golf career

The current issue of the USGA magazine, Golf Journal, has an article about the USGA championships Tiger has won. Currently he is tied for the top spot with Bobby Jones, each with 9. In the article he talks about how he would like to reach double digits and do something no one else has done.

With each passing year it is less and less likely that Tiger will win another US Open. So how about this scenario. Tiger continues to play a limited schedule centered around the majors for the next four years. He turns 50 and plays in the US Senior Open and wins. He rides off into the sunset with the record for most USGA championships, having won every USGA individual event available to him.

Alternative ending. He plays in and wins the next two Senior Opens and retires having won three straight USGA Juniors, three straight US Amateurs, three straight US Senior Opens, and three US Opens.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I can only think that he'd prefer that that tie breaker double digit gettin Championship be on the Big Boy Tour🤷🏻‍♂️

One thing that I would hope that even his harshest critics have learned by 09/15/2020 is to NEVER EVER write Tiger Woods off.

Just plantin the peg as Tiger Woods🐯 is worth 2-3 strokes and 2-300yds across a 72 hole Major

As always, just my .03 worth😊

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends⛳

RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

He's 44 now and to me his biggest challenge is simply being able to still play competitively six years from now.  I heard an interesting stat that Woods scoring average goes up each successive round of a tournament the majority of the time.  This says to me when he does play he physically worsens every day.  Thus his much reduced schedule.  

• Confused 1
47 minutes ago, cristphoto said:

I heard an interesting stat that Woods scoring average goes up each successive round of a tournament the majority of the time. 

Quick look at his results the last two seasons shows that statistic is wrong. It has happened twice over 20 events. One (The Zozo 64-64-66-67) he won. It also happened at The Genesis at the start of 2020 (69-73-76-77).

• Confused 1

The Champions Tour was created back when the guys weren't making as much on the PGA Tour. They wanted a place to keep playing so they could stay "famous" and relevant and keep bringing in money. Nowadays, successful Pros will be sitting on tens of millions of dollars by the time they turn 50. There's no incentive really for any of these modern guys to play the Champions Tour unless they really dramatically change something about it.

1 hour ago, tgoodspe1991 said:

The Champions Tour was created back when the guys weren't making as much on the PGA Tour. They wanted a place to keep playing so they could stay "famous" and relevant and keep bringing in money. Nowadays, successful Pros will be sitting on tens of millions of dollars by the time they turn 50. There's no incentive really for any of these modern guys to play the Champions Tour unless they really dramatically change something about it.

I'm 40 and play intramural soccer, water polo and basketball.  Why?  Because competition is way more fun than practice, and if we stop competing, it's like dying inside.

They're still able to play competitive golf on fantastic courses in pristine condition in front of fans.  

Why not play?  

• Like 3

Maybe he gets his am status back and wins the mid am ....🤦‍♂️

TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
Artisan   53 59 s400
Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

Didn't he just win The Masters??  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PING Rapture(OG) 10.5 driver
PING Rapture 3 wood
Cobra Pro hybrids 18 & 23
Callaway '18 MB irons
Callaway 56 SW
Cleveland Classic #2 putter

5 minutes ago, BMC said:

Jack won the Masters in 1986 at age 46 but never had a Top 5 finish in another major after that.

After 1986, Jack never had another Top 10 in any major other than the Masters.

I'd say Tiger's coming back to win one more Masters was among the most amazing comeback stories in sports. But it had a fairly similar historical precedent in Jack Nicklaus.

Tiger winning another US Open at this point would be off the charts less likely than that last Masters win was. 

On 9/16/2020 at 2:41 PM, Forged4ever said:

I can only think that he'd prefer that that tie breaker double digit gettin Championship be on the Big Boy Tour🤷🏻‍♂️

One thing that I would hope that even his harshest critics have learned by 09/15/2020 is to NEVER EVER write Tiger Woods off.

Just plantin the peg as Tiger Woods🐯 is worth 2-3 strokes and 2-300yds across a 72 hole Major

As always, just my .03 worth😊

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends⛳

RP

Agreed.  I always thought the gold standard in golf was 4 US Opens. 
Jones 

Hogan

Jack

Tiger has just 3. 

Forged I know you are a personal fan of Mr. Sneed, but Tiger winning that 4th would put him in elite company. In my personal opinion the Mt. Rushmore of golf. 

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

4 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

Agreed.  I always thought the gold standard in golf was 4 US Opens. 
Jones 

Hogan

Jack

Tiger has just 3. 

Forged I know you are a personal fan of Mr. Sneed, but Tiger winning that 4th would put him in elite company. In my personal opinion the Mt. Rushmore of golf. 

Right.  Because tiger isn't already in elite company. 

• Like 3
On 9/16/2020 at 8:37 AM, farmer said:

IF Tiger can still play at 50, it is far from a given that he can just show up and win the Senior Open.

I'd have money on him.

Mark
Havin fun in the AZ sun

33 minutes ago, BMC said:

Yup. Think he has just a little bit left in the tank

He can't/won't ever be able to string a bunch of wins together, but he's still got the ability to win on the big stage 

Yadi for President

39 minutes ago, BMC said:

Yes he did, and while an amazing victory there was the perfect storm that helped it occur.  Molinari, Johnson, Koepka all hit in the water on the par three.  Woods didn't and got another jacket.  

On 9/15/2020 at 2:23 PM, dalehead said:

The current issue of the USGA magazine, Golf Journal, has an article about the USGA championships Tiger has won. Currently he is tied for the top spot with Bobby Jones, each with 9. In the article he talks about how he would like to reach double digits and do something no one else has done.

With each passing year it is less and less likely that Tiger will win another US Open. So how about this scenario. Tiger continues to play a limited schedule centered around the majors for the next four years. He turns 50 and plays in the US Senior Open and wins. He rides off into the sunset with the record for most USGA championships, having won every USGA individual event available to him.

Alternative ending. He plays in and wins the next two Senior Opens and retires having won three straight USGA Juniors, three straight US Amateurs, three straight US Senior Opens, and three US Opens.

Fast forward him 6 years and he won't even be competitive in that 

Ping G400 10.5 Ping Tour 65
Ping G400 14.5 Ping Tour 75  
Ping G410 HB 19 KBS Graphite Tour Hybrid 85
Callaway Apex 2019 4 - AW KBS Tour 120
Yururi Tataki 52.5 & 60.5 KBS Hi Rev 125
Ping Anser 2 Milled
NDMC Grips (extra wrap lower half to reduce taper)
Titleist AVX 
UA Jordan Spieth 2
Footjoy Tour Glove (optional, often times play without glove)

With all due respect, it seems that some are fighting over the estate before the patient is dead. Tiger will have chances to win majors in the coming years, and Phil might have one or two more chances too, though at this point the window is pretty much closed on him unless he changes his game and trades distance for accuracy.