I want a gap wedge

James the Hogan Fan

My problem is simple, and very wrx. I recently bought Wilson FG62 irons amd have taken to them well, but the PW is 1 degree stronger (47°) and a half inch longer than my previous club in that slot. 

I hit it too far.

I walloped it about 145 yards today when my old pitching wedge went 125-30. More distance! Yay! But my wedges haven't gotten any longer, and what was a manageable gap from 110/15 with 56° to 125/30 is now a rather unhappy 110/115-145.

In short I need a gap wedge and badly, but Wilson didn't make one for the FG 62's. I want a gap wedge that plays like an 11 iron, as an extension of the irons; not so much a specialty wedge.

Does anyone have a suggestion for who makes the most iron-like wedges? (And yes, I'm practicing dialing back the PW) Thanks in advance!

There are some more forgiving wedges on the market now... the new mizuno and callaway come immediately to mind... probably will have to go for 50 degrees but that should create a decent gap.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

38 minutes ago, James the Hogan Fan said:

My problem is simple, and very wrx. I recently bought Wilson FG62 irons amd have taken to them well, but the PW is 1 degree stronger (47°) and a half inch longer than my previous club in that slot. 

I hit it too far.

I walloped it about 145 yards today when my old pitching wedge went 125-30. More distance! Yay! But my wedges haven't gotten any longer, and what was a manageable gap from 110/15 with 56° to 125/30 is now a rather unhappy 110/115-145.

In short I need a gap wedge and badly, but Wilson didn't make one for the FG 62's. I want a gap wedge that plays like an 11 iron, as an extension of the irons; not so much a specialty wedge.

Does anyone have a suggestion for who makes the most iron-like wedges? (And yes, I'm practicing dialing back the PW) Thanks in advance!

Bend the wedge you have 1 deg weak and cut off 1/2". Then lead tape to match swingweight of your previous wedge...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

25 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Bend the wedge you have 1 deg weak and cut off 1/2". Then lead tape to match swingweight of your previous wedge...

At that point I'd just bend the previous wedge (I still have it) 2° weak and play it at current length. Which come to think of it is not that bad of an idea. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For whatever reason, finding a GW that worked for me was much harder than SW or LW.  I've found 2 that perform the way I want them to, a Hogan 5208 and a Mizuno Tzoid. I will never sell either of them.  I've had countless Vokeys, Callways, Mizunos, and Clevelands.  None of those worked.  I also use the GW as another iron rather than a specialty club.

I am in the same boat: a forged gap wedge at 50 degrees will be OK but a cavity wedge at 50 is probably closer to that 130 distance I need.  Most of the sets I considered (Mizuno MMC, Apex Pro) didn't offer a gap wedge, which is odd, as back in the day, every set started with a 50 degree PW.

I play the Ping Blueprints (a very angular/sharp players iron) and I found deciding on what gap wedge to be quite a challenge. I settled on the RTX4 50* with an S400 stock shaft and haven't looked back. Bent lie angle 2 degrees flat, fits my eye perfectly, and it's a nice transition between my Blueprint PW and the Glide Forged SW/LW.

It's my money 115-125 yard club.

Edited by JakeW13

Driver: TSR3 10.0* | Accra Tour Z RPG 472 45"

5 Wood: SIM Max 18.5* | Mitsubishi MMT 85TX

2i: Mizuno Fli-Hi 18* | KBS Prototype 95X

3i: Ping i59 @ 21* | Mitsubishi MMT 125TX
4-PW: Callaway TCB Raw | Project X 7.0
Wedges: 50&54&60: Cleveland CBX Zipcore | Project X 6.5
Putter: Cobra Vintage Sport-60

What SW and LW do you carry?

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

3 hours ago, hammergolf said:

That is exactly what I would try first. You have a stronger lofted club and now its a half inch longer. That equates to playing a 9 iron. So adjust the loft to 49 and either choke down on the grip or get it back to standard length. FYI I have a gap wedge and for me the cleaner the look the better. I like the TM Milled grinds and the callaway jaws wedges. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Have you considered using your old pitching wedge as your gap wedge.

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

22 minutes ago, gwelfgulfer said:

I'm still wondering how 1/2" and 1* manages to create a gap of 15-20 yards.

You and me both. I think it's possibly the ½" is a better fit and lets me get through the ball better with more sweet spot contact. Whereas before the old wedge I maybe felt I was flushing but wasn't truly getting all of it? Very strange I admit.

2 hours ago, getair23 said:

Have you considered using your old pitching wedge as your gap wedge.

Starting to, especially bent a little weaker to work the distance gap.

2 hours ago, getair23 said:

6 hours ago, cardoustie said:

What SW and LW do you carry?

The SW is a Cleveland CBX that I picked up last month. Though I like it in bunkers and around the green I'm finding it less consistent as a full-swing club than I'd like.

Lob wedge is an ancient Maxfli revolution from 2001 or so, but it jas a very versatile sole and I have played very well with it. (Yesterday 2 up and downs to inside 2 feet and a sandy to 6 feet with the club). I only full-swing this club from perfect lies at 80-90 yards, lacking that I'm looking at a partial swing with something else. 

Edited by James the Hogan Fan

Love my mp-t5 Mizuno wedges as they are quite compact and aren't shockingly different looking from my irons. If that's what you mean, you don't want some big spoon style wedge, look at the mizuno T range of wedges. Love my 50*, go to club on a ton of short par 4 approaches or par 5s where I've layed up. 

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

7 hours ago, James the Hogan Fan said:

The SW is a Cleveland CBX that I picked up last month. Though I like it in bunkers and around the green I'm finding it less consistent as a full-swing club than I'd like.

Lob wedge is an ancient Maxfli revolution from 2001 or so, but it jas a very versatile sole and I have played very well with it. (Yesterday 2 up and downs to inside 2 feet and a sandy to 6 feet with the club). I only full-swing this club from perfect lies at 80-90 yards, lacking that I'm looking at a partial swing with something else. 

The FG62's are a blade, right? It's kind of crazy to me that someone would go from a blade iron to an oversized CBX in a wedge. Usually people go the opposite direction (cavity back irons to a blade style wedge). 

Have you looked at the Wilson wedges: https://www.golfgalaxy.com/f/shop-wedges?pageNumber=0&filterFacets=X_BRAND%3AWilson

I'm a fan of Ping's wedges. They offer just a smidge of forgiveness while still being compact.

2 hours ago, RacineBoxer said:

The FG62's are a blade, right? It's kind of crazy to me that someone would go from a blade iron to an oversized CBX in a wedge. Usually people go the opposite direction (cavity back irons to a blade style wedge). 

Have you looked at the Wilson wedges: https://www.golfgalaxy.com/f/shop-wedges?pageNumber=0&filterFacets=X_BRAND%3AWilson

I'm a fan of Ping's wedges. They offer just a smidge of forgiveness while still being compact.

True. I bought the CBX as an experiment to see if I'd do better with some forgiveness from the sand and if the bigger sole would help from soft ground. Results are mixed. Though I miss some aspects of a blade wedge, the point-and-shoot factor from bunkers is a big plus, and for the first time I have a confident bunker system with the 60 for short splashes and the 56 for longer shots, and I'm not leaving balls in the sand. For now the CBX is staying in the bag.

20 hours ago, JShaw said:

For whatever reason, finding a GW that worked for me was much harder than SW or LW.  I've found 2 that perform the way I want them to, a Hogan 5208 and a Mizuno Tzoid. I will never sell either of them.  I've had countless Vokeys, Callways, Mizunos, and Clevelands.  None of those worked.  I also use the GW as another iron rather than a specialty club.

agreed. Mostly use a GW as a full swing shot as well, so I don't feel that I am that picky about bounce and grind. Just want something to fly my number on a predictable trajectory and spin from good lies. I am constantly 100-120 out, but I can't get a club that looks and feels right. I'm quite sensitive to the weight or something as well. The search continues. Zipcore is next. 

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

Gap wedge was the hardest club to place in my bag, because like many in this subforum, I use it like and iron rather than a specialty club. I won't hit a SW or LW out of a tee box on a short par 3, i just adjust my GW. I had tried every major OEM for various amounts of time with never above average success: Vokeys, MDs, RTXs, CBXs, MG1, MG2 etc. I actually found the one I have now in a bargain bag at the local club shop, and its perfect. The Cleveland CG16 (specialty wedge, not the iron set). It's old, looks awful from everywhere but address, and I would never brag to my partners about it. But after hitting it, I immediately found 2 more on eBay and ordered them. Never looking back.

Edited by vstensrud23

G400 Max 9* : Ventus Black 6X

Stealth+ 3W 15* Diamana ZF 70TX

TSI3 3H 20* : Atmos TS Blue 8X or '19 P790 3i : RIP Alpha 105X

'21 T100 4-PW : AMT Tour White S300

SM8 50.08F, 54.14F, SM9 58.08M : DG S300

Putter By Committee

Pro V1

On 9/16/2020 at 3:07 PM, kmay__ said:

Love my mp-t5 Mizuno wedges as they are quite compact and aren't shockingly different looking from my irons. If that's what you mean, you don't want some big spoon style wedge, look at the mizuno T range of wedges. Love my 50*, go to club on a ton of short par 4 approaches or par 5s where I've layed up. 

My brother in law has a 52° MP-T4 and 56° MP-T5 in a backup bag he's letting me reshaft for this project. I'm going to play the 52° at the PW length less ¼" and see how it goes. 

• Like 2

On 9/20/2020 at 1:55 PM, James the Hogan Fan said:

My brother in law has a 52° MP-T4 and 56° MP-T5 in a backup bag he's letting me reshaft for this project. I'm going to play the 52° at the PW length less ¼" and see how it goes. 

Built it up today, will test tomorrow weather depending!

IMG_20200921_202523291_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200921_202542796.jpg

I've actually gone the other direction, and ditched my gap wedge. I very rarely hit my 54* or 58* wedges for full swing shots any more. Full swing with the PW is about 135-140. Anything below that that doesn't require extra loft, I choke down on the PW and hit a controlled swing.

I always used to carry a gap wedge, and used my 54* and 58* for full swings all the time. But while I was demoing new Sub 70 699 and 699 pro irons, I went two weeks with only the 6 and 9 irons in my bag. I hit the 9 for anything 150-155 and in, and found no problems controlling it and getting the proper distance on a less than full swing.

Dropping the gap wedge allowed me to add a driving iron to the bag without having to sacrifice something else at the top end, and I've been getting a lot more use out of it than I ever did my gap wedge, especially this time of year when it tends to be windy around here.

Obviously this won't work for everyone, but it's definitely been a positive change for me.

So I spent more time finding the right gap wedge than nearly club in my bag. Have had loads of clevelands, vokeys, mizunos, tried different shafts, lengthening, bending, everything. In the end I ordered one from ping that fit my iron set (old i20's til I upgrade) and have seen tons of success. I hit my cleveland sw on everything 70 and in since I hate full swings with it, will go 100 if needed. I have a swing for every 5 yards from 90-120 with the ping gap wedge and am getting it with 10 feet the vast majority. I don't hit it fat or thin the way I occasionally did with the blade style sand wedge types. Not sure if your iron set offers one but it's worth it, and get it same length as pw. I'm a 2 HC btw.

Epic Max LS. oban kiyoshi gold 75x

TS2 3W fuji speeder 84x

TS2 3H tensei blue 80x

Ping i20 4-gw x100

Cleveland 797 BeNi 55*

Callaway pm grind 60*

Odyssey Toulon Atlanta