I get playing as it lies, but really?

8 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

Would it not be even simpler if you were allowed to move your ball with no penalty any time and anywhere on the course 2 club lengths and no closer to hole? That would render a big bunch of current Rules obsolete and create a permanent LCP for all player to use whenever their ball is in a divot hole.

Aw, but that would be unfair if I can't move my ball closer to the hole..........why do we have all these dumb rules?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So the problem is that there's a little swale, a small imperfection in the otherwise perfectly smooth fairway?  Perhaps golf on a simulator is a better choice, those mats are really smooth.

Yes, LOL, at your recorded score!   Someone said that if you want a perfect lie every time, play billiards, not golf!

I am always a bit befuddled about these threads. If it is casual play - do what you like but don't come ask a rules questions. If it is competition - play two balls and ask for a ruling if you really

Posted Images

On 9/21/2020 at 10:51 PM, sui generis said:

Alright, noodle it out of that lie which you've not bothered to figure out how to play from. However, the next time you double cross one into the woods and it bangs off a tree back into the fairway, you'll happily pick it and walk it back into the woods for a drop. That's fair, right?

I have heard those scenerios before of banging off a tree and bouncing back into the Fairway, or something similar, like one justifies the other. So because I may, twice a year, hit a tree and have it bounce back into the fairway, I should be happy with all the other rules of golf and not want to change anything. My only point is somehow someway there should be a preventative for this stroke of bad luck. Yesterday I stripped one down the fairway on the first hole and it rolled into the rough because of the steep grade of the fairway where it landed I think that makes up for the ones that hit the tree and bounced back into the Fairway, right? To use one rule to justify another is not necessarily the proper approach.

47 minutes ago, hybrid25 said:

I have heard those scenerios before of banging off a tree and bouncing back into the Fairway, or something similar, like one justifies the other. So because I may, twice a year, hit a tree and have it bounce back into the fairway, I should be happy with all the other rules of golf and not want to change anything. My only point is somehow someway there should be a preventative for this stroke of bad luck. Yesterday I stripped one down the fairway on the first hole and it rolled into the rough because of the steep grade of the fairway where it landed I think that makes up for the ones that hit the tree and bounced back into the Fairway, right? To use one rule to justify another is not necessarily the proper approach.

We generally use principles to explain the basis for rules, rather than use one rule to justify another.  Here are tow basic principles:

Play the course as you find it

Play the ball as it lies.

Those two kind of cover 90% of the rules in golf, the rest are exceptions.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, hybrid25 said:

There are "horrors" hidden in the Rules much worse than the indignity of your having been exposed as being unable to play from a divot hole or having course management deficiencies.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play a round of competitive golf.

2 hours ago, hybrid25 said:

Fo me it always comes down to what the core elements of the game are.  I don't believe, 'good shots ALWAYS, get rewarded' is a key element of golf. In fact the opposite of that is true, as a core element of golf is - 'rub of the Green ball' and this goes back to the very origin of the game and was included in the rule back in the early 1800. Simply said, bad luck and good luck have been a core part of this game for 220+ years. The game evolves and changes and maybe this will too, but for now it still remains core to the sport and I good with that. 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 3
40 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

Fo me it always comes down to what the core elements of the game are. For me I don't believe, 'good shots ALWAYS, get rewarded' is a key element. In fact the opposite of that is true as a core element of golf - 'rub of the Green ball' goes back to the very origin of the game and was included in the rule back in the early 1800. Simply said bad luck and good luck have been a core part of this game for 220+ years. The game evolves and changes and maybe this will too, but for now it still remains core to the sport. 

I agree, and would suggest most folks that truly enjoy the game of golf in a certain way feel that the essence of the game, as I believe you are describing, is sometimes finding that balance, or struggling with the balance, or appreciating the balance between the "fair" vs. "unfair", "lucky" vs. "unlucky" and accepting results, smiling and moving on. (I struggle with the balance).