PX LZ 6.0 vs Aerotech SteelFibers

I’m a + handicap 39 year old currently playing PX LX 6.0s in my Ping Blueprints (4-PW) & also in my Ping wedges. My average driver SS is 105-108 mph. 

I’ve been thinking about going to a lighter shaft to hit the ball a little higher & maybe gain a few yards. I hit a demo club the other day that had the Aerotech Steelfiber 110 S in it & it felt really good (indoors & no launch monitor).

Now I’m wondering what I could expect as far as differences between these 2 shafts? Pros/cons/differences/etc? 

Any & all info/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I went to the 110’s from X100’s ... they were a light static and swing weight as mentioned above. That being said by no means is it something a short period of time won’t resolve. The flight is great,

Steelfiber shafts have a profile that's similar to Dynamic Gold.  The i95 is very close, the i110 and i125 are slightly stiffer in the bottom half of the shaft, but otherwise still similar.  Based on

Honestly if you are a + handicap, I wouldn't listen to anyone but yourself. You are of a skill level that no one could possibly know more about what is good for you than you, and if you liked the way

1 hour ago, sbrylant said:

nothing?

Well, I'm not an expert so take that into consideration. 

I currently play PX 6.5 soft stepped. I want to go graphite to help with elbow issue. 

Those on this thread that know shafts recommend Steelfiber i110. If I'm not mistaken the PX and PX LX play completely different? If so, I would imagine the i110 might not be the ideal switch. 

Lastly, I emailed Steelfiber and they said the i110 may launch slightly higher the regular PX but otherwise may be a good switch. 

Are the PX LZ a good fit? Were you fit for them? 

That's all I got hope there is something here that helps? 

I recently switched from $ taper 120 (919 tour) to steelfiber 110 stiff (z785). Since the heads changed it’s not a direct comparison. I gained a little height and yardage with the SF110 but spin is very similar. I’m loving the feel but never got along with the PX 6.0 (never tried LZ). Driver SS 110-115 and feel like the 110stiff is definitely stiff enough. I switched for elbow issues and probably won’t ever go back. 

Steelfiber shafts have a profile that's similar to Dynamic Gold.  The i95 is very close, the i110 and i125 are slightly stiffer in the bottom half of the shaft, but otherwise still similar.  Based on the profile info I've seen, the LZ is stiffer in the butt section, but softer in the mid.  

I'm sorry to say I'm not sure which graphite iron shafts might compare to that.  I wondered if the Catalyst could plug that slot, but it's stiffer in the mid, with the tip being softer.  

Not really an answer, I know....

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver:  Cobra Fly-Z+, Xcaliber 7.5 TS, 44", King LTD, HZRDUS 75 6.5, 44.25"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Aldila Tour Blue 85 S, 42.5"; Stage 2 Tour, SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X, 42.5"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300; Golden Ram TW276, NV105; Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5; Ram TG-898, Super Peening Blue X; 1980 Golden Rams, Dynamic S; MacGregor Muirfield, Dynamic S; Wilson Staff 78 Tour Blades, Dynamic S
GW:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400
SW:  Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.25"; Yes! Nicky, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or 50 Elite, TP5

Only input i can give: 

Son has LZ 6.0 

I play SF 110cw 9i thru lw

For me[early release] the LZ feels way softer but does not balloon. Steelfiber produces a much more penetrating flight for me.... LZ rises into a higher apex

Again just my opinions on how they play for me

Edited by animalgolfs
Spelling

Ping Sunday Bag
9 Clubs of Freedom

On 9/15/2020 at 8:08 PM, sbrylant said:

I’m a + handicap 39 year old currently playing PX LX 6.0s in my Ping Blueprints (4-PW) & also in my Ping wedges. My average driver SS is 105-108 mph. 

I’ve been thinking about going to a lighter shaft to hit the ball a little higher & maybe gain a few yards. I hit a demo club the other day that had the Aerotech Steelfiber 110 S in it & it felt really good (indoors & no launch monitor).

Now I’m wondering what I could expect as far as differences between these 2 shafts? Pros/cons/differences/etc? 

Any & all info/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Honestly if you are a + handicap, I wouldn't listen to anyone but yourself. You are of a skill level that no one could possibly know more about what is good for you than you, and if you liked the way it felt then I would shaft up a matching 6-iron or something and try it out next to your existing clubs. Speaking in terms of profile, they are in the same ballpark being mid soft designs with the Steefiber being stiffer in the butt and softer in the mid. On paper they would be a logical progression from the LZ. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
Titleist 915FD 14.25* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade TP UDI 16* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Titleist 915FD 17.25* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Titleist 818 H118.25* Diamana Kai'li s103x Prototype
Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

• 2 weeks later...

I installed an i125 S in my P790 6 iron and after hitting in a range session will definitely buy the whole set. My stock shafts were DG S300 105, but with the steelfibers the ball explodes off the club. An extra 10 yards and better feel/accuracy. Worth the $ upgrade IMO. They are not overly stiff like I have read on forums. 

Thank you to all for the replies/thoughts/etc...I went & hit the i110 S & found them to be very similar #s to the PX LZ 6.0 so I'm going to have them installed in my Blueprints and give them a go.  I'll post my thoughts on them after they're installed and I get a chance to play them.

@sbrylantwe are similar in our games, I am a + handicap with 105mph SS with driver. I have played both the LZ and the Steelfiber 110s.  I went for a fitting and these were the 2 best options by numbers for me.  In short I think the Steelfibers had better feel but I ended up trying both because my dispersion on the course was all over the place with the Steelfibers.  Turns out I am better with a heavier shaft and ended up with my old reliable Dynamic Gold S300s.  The Steelfibers are counterbalanced and your swing weight will drop and that caused me issues, the LZs and I didn't get along and the only reason I can think of is the lighter weight compared to DGs.  If you are comfortable with the LZs you may not have the same weight issue that I had but my experience was I dropped too much swing weight and static weight of the club for me to be comfortable with either of those shafts.  I loved the way the Steelfibers felt (more than the LZs) they were just too lite for me.

Ping G410 LST 10.5*
Taylormade Sim 14*
Taylormade Sim max hybrid 19*
Ping Crossover 23*
Wilson Staff Blade 5-PW
Wilson Staff Blade 50*
Ping Glide 3.0 54* SS & 58* TS
Ping Nome TR

^^^ can we assume your builder added weight to the heads to accommodate for the SF different weight distribution ?

I’m a fan of the SF 110 & 95 and like to play my irons short ( 5-PW ).  Because of the SF being a bit counter balanced, I often need to add lead tape to my 5 and 6 irons, in addition to a maximum 10g tip weight. 

Edited by ARL67
  • Like 1

WITB: Sun Mountain 4.5LS

Titleist TS3 10.5 with Evenflow T1100 White 65

Titleist TS2 16.5 with Accra Tour Z x275

Titleist TS2 19* hybrid with Evenflow White 90

Titleist TS2 23* hybrid with HZRDUS Smoke 65

Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i110cw

Mizuno JPX-900F 50* with Steelfiber i110cw

Cleveland RTX 54* & 58* Mid with Steelfiber i110cw

Platinum M7 Tour with SS Pistol Grip

13 minutes ago, ARL67 said:

^^^ can we assume your builder added weight to the heads to accommodate for the SF different weight distribution ?

I’m a fan of the SF 110 & 95 and like to play my irons short ( 5-PW ).  Because of the SF being a bit counter balanced, I often need to add lead tape to my 5 and 6 irons, in addition to a maximum 10g tip weight. 

They were ordered that way from Ping and still came out light on the SW scale.  It was also a big jump to go from 130 grams to 110grams.  Combine the 2 and it was just asking for trouble.

Ping G410 LST 10.5*
Taylormade Sim 14*
Ping Crossover 23*
Wilson Staff Blade 5-PW
Wilson Staff Blade 50*
Ping Nome TR

For what it's worth, I'm a 5 index and as a habitual iron buyer have gamed most shafts on the market. To me, steel fibers are one of the oddest offerings on the market. Flight of dynamic gold, the boardiness of project x, and an extremely light swing weight feel due to counterbalancing. Probably the worst fitting shaft I've ever played, outside my 7 year olds junior driver.

I think they're probably niche and great in the right hands but I'd try to play a real round of golf with them if possible, I wouldn't risk a launch monitor purchase 

On 9/29/2020 at 6:42 AM, granata10 said:

@sbrylantwe are similar in our games, I am a + handicap with 105mph SS with driver. I have played both the LZ and the Steelfiber 110s.  I went for a fitting and these were the 2 best options by numbers for me.  In short I think the Steelfibers had better feel but I ended up trying both because my dispersion on the course was all over the place with the Steelfibers.  Turns out I am better with a heavier shaft and ended up with my old reliable Dynamic Gold S300s.  The Steelfibers are counterbalanced and your swing weight will drop and that caused me issues, the LZs and I didn't get along and the only reason I can think of is the lighter weight compared to DGs.  If you are comfortable with the LZs you may not have the same weight issue that I had but my experience was I dropped too much swing weight and static weight of the club for me to be comfortable with either of those shafts.  I loved the way the Steelfibers felt (more than the LZs) they were just too lite for me.

Hmmm...thinking steelfibers should have been pretty good for you on paper? They are profiled after the DG shafts, and had never heard of them being counterbalanced? My sets of the steelfibers have been the constant weight version. And have heard of them being more tip weighted like the DG at a lighter weight? I was really impressed (shocked) how easy it was to move from the 110 steelfibers in stiff down to the i95 in regular.

I'm not sure if my club guy had to use a lot of tip weights in the build or not, but previously, this set of AP2's had PXi 6.0's in them and they feel great, no swingweight issues (D2 as requested.) They are such a stout shaft family even the regulars are super stable. Even as a young guy, I can't believe I ever even tried to play the 110x. Now that was rebar. They've been around a long time. But I think part of that was lack of competition too. That's changed in more recent years. I stayed with them because of familiarity, primarily, and they seem to work for me. No LM data though.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, blueonblack said:

Hmmm...thinking steelfibers should have been pretty good for you on paper? They are profiled after the DG shafts, and had never heard of them being counterbalanced? My sets of the steelfibers have been the constant weight version. And have heard of them being more tip weighted like the DG at a lighter weight? I was really impressed (shocked) how easy it was to move from the 110 steelfibers in stiff down to the i95 in regular.

I'm not sure if my club guy had to use a lot of tip weights in the build or not, but previously, this set of AP2's had PXi 6.0's in them and they feel great, no swingweight issues (D2 as requested.) They are such a stout shaft family even the regulars are super stable. Even as a young guy, I can't believe I ever even tried to play the 110x. Now that was rebar. They've been around a long time. But I think part of that was lack of competition too. That's changed in more recent years. I stayed with them because of familiarity, primarily, and they seem to work for me. No LM data though.

It's just the i110 that have a higher balance point.  I wouldn't call them counter balanced myself, necessarily, but they do swingweight lighter than the i95 or i125, by all reports.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver:  Cobra Fly-Z+, Xcaliber 7.5 TS, 44", King LTD, HZRDUS 75 6.5, 44.25"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Aldila Tour Blue 85 S, 42.5"; Stage 2 Tour, SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X, 42.5"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300; Golden Ram TW276, NV105; Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5; Ram TG-898, Super Peening Blue X; 1980 Golden Rams, Dynamic S; MacGregor Muirfield, Dynamic S; Wilson Staff 78 Tour Blades, Dynamic S
GW:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400
SW:  Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.25"; Yes! Nicky, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or 50 Elite, TP5

I went to the 110’s from X100’s ... they were a light static and swing weight as mentioned above. That being said by no means is it something a short period of time won’t resolve. The flight is great, they feel very stable, help with joint pain... all good things. 

One added perk of going to the 110’s was that it made the transition to hybrids and driving iron easier due to be closer in weight. The long irons didn’t feel as light. 

• Like 2

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

My experience of the i110s was in a fitting, I’m waiting for my clubs to arrive. Compared to my current DG120s I didn’t notice a big weight difference and they felt “plush” and absorbed any harsh vibrations very nicely.

I didn’t notice any boardiness although I’m not particularly shaft sensitive because I have a smooth transition and don’t really load the shaft. I do however find PX Hzrdus Black 6.0 and 6.5 fairway and driver shafts quite boardy.

6 hours ago, blueonblack said:

Just the 110s are counterbalanced / higher balance point. I loved the feel, loved the shock absorption, and the flight was good but dispersion was the problem for me. 125s probably be better but I just went back to DGs 

Ping G410 LST 10.5*
Taylormade Sim 14*
Ping Crossover 23*
Wilson Staff Blade 5-PW
Wilson Staff Blade 50*
Ping Nome TR

3 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

My experience of the i110s was in a fitting, I’m waiting for my clubs to arrive. Compared to my current DG120s I didn’t notice a big weight difference and they felt “plush” and absorbed any harsh vibrations very nicely.

I didn’t notice any boardiness although I’m not particularly shaft sensitive because I have a smooth transition and don’t really load the shaft. I do however find PX Hzrdus Black 6.0 and 6.5 fairway and driver shafts quite boardy.

That’s my thought. Weight was a small adjustment, didn’t feel boardy at all.  I have $Taper right now but plan on switching back. 

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

@sbrylant if you're playing PX LZ and want something higher flight wise, you want to look at the SteelFiber 115 FC shafts and not the standard SteelFiber i110. i110 should launch lower (of course in theory and design) than the 115 FC. FC's have a softer tip section that standard SteelFiber

TM SIM Max 9* ... KBS TD 60 cat4

TM SIM 15* ... KBS TD 70 cat4

TM SIM UDI 18* ...KBS Prototype 95x

TM SIM Rescue 22* ... Diamana Thump 105x
Srixon Z Forged 5 - P ... Project X PXI 115 6.5

Vokey SM8 raw black 51, 55, 59

LowTide Custom Fin putter

Picked up my Blueprints from the builder today w/ the Steelfiber 110 S installed...

He put in the heaviest tip weights he had but couldn’t get the swingweight back to where I had them w/ the PX LZ 6.0s...so he added some lead tape, not a big deal.

Took them to the course & played 18 as well as putting in some range time...I really like them. They feel better to me & I was hitting every iron very solidly. Didn’t notice any real yardage difference and ball flight was pretty similar...maybe slightly higher...although that could be due to the lead tape placement (it’s on the very bottom of the back of the club head).

Have enjoyed the 110 stiff when I swung harder, and the switch to i95cw regulars has been pretty seamless. Very pleased. Stuck with the 110 in the wedges, but in regular now. Really like those and their action/spin around the greens. Even the regulars I am no where near feeling like they are loose.

Played many shafts and these have been quite good. I liked that they are a tad higher launching than DG for my aging body. Dropping the weight is nice to take as much or more strain off than the flex. I find the weight is the hardest to deal with now that I'm aging. Took a set of the 110 stiff to the range and was pretty gassed by the end. Its been a good change.

Edited by blueonblack
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2020 at 6:37 AM, NRJyzr said:

It's just the i110 that have a higher balance point.  I wouldn't call them counter balanced myself, necessarily, but they do swingweight lighter than the i95 or i125, by all reports.

I hadn't noticed, honestly, and had always heard the 110 were akin to DG, but just a little lighter. Have to say the move to the i95's was pretty seamless. 110's played nicely for me, and hope the 95's do too.

• Like 1