Driver shaft weight matters when comparing with wood and hybrid shaft?

I did a fitting on taylormade golf clubs (driver sim, wood 3, and hybrid 3) and I was recommended to use:

- Driver SIM: Diamana s limited shaft stiff flex (65g)

- Wood 3: Ventus blue 6 stiff flex (62g)

- Hybrid 3: Ventus blue 7 stiff flex (76g) 

I felt good and got good numbers but I always heard that woods should be heavier than driver by 5-10 grams as well as hybrids should be heavier than woods by 5-10 grams.

Also, I if you go for the stock option in taylormade clubs (driver, wood and hybrid), all shaft with Ventus, it happens the same, driver shaft is heavier than the wood shaft.

Could anyone recommend what to do (buy/not buy) or clarify what is that rule?

Thanks!

There isn’t a “rule”... just guidelines. Usually the three wood shaft is heavier, but if you hit it well, I wouldn’t worry about it.

As of 6/5/20

9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

50, 54, 60 Vokeys

Tank Counter Balance #7 

1 hour ago, David Quintero said:

I did a fitting on taylormade golf clubs (driver sim, wood 3, and hybrid 3) and I was recommended to use:

- Driver SIM: Diamana s limited shaft stiff flex (65g)

- Wood 3: Ventus blue 6 stiff flex (62g)

- Hybrid 3: Ventus blue 7 stiff flex (76g) 

I felt good and got good numbers but I always heard that woods should be heavier than driver by 5-10 grams as well as hybrids should be heavier than woods by 5-10 grams.

Also, I if you go for the stock option in taylormade clubs (driver, wood and hybrid), all shaft with Ventus, it happens the same, driver shaft is heavier than the wood shaft.

Could anyone recommend what to do (buy/not buy) or clarify what is that rule?

Thanks!

There is no “rule” but its common practice to build your set with a progression like you mentioned. It just helps your set flow, and every club you pick up balances pretty similar.

Actually there is a rule, and it's about the only one that's hard and fast in the context of fitting.

"The only thing that really matters and tells you how good a fit something might be, is the results you get."

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

Actually there is a rule, and it's about the only one that's hard and fast in the context of fitting.

"The only thing that really matters and tells you how good a fit something might be, is the results you get."

I stand corrected!

As of 6/5/20

9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

50, 54, 60 Vokeys

Tank Counter Balance #7 

Thanks you all for the answers! It makes sense to me that I should stick to the shaft that gives better results.

How about when it comes to the stock shafts? I wonder why the guideline or soft rule for the shaft weight does not apply to the stock version of taylormade sim max driver and 3 wood.  They are respectively 64g and 62g for the stiff flex (ventus blue)... I mean that they should follow at least the most common trend, right?