Clean/Polish/Refinish TM steel woods 80's/90's

I have an old set of Taylormade Burner fairway woods (3 & 5) and a Tour Driver from the late 80's. These are the old line of descendants of the Pittsburgh Persimmons. I was curious as to the best way to refinish the tops (that you would look down and see at address). The original final finish was not polished on those surfaces, but a more matte finish. I have a soft spot for these clubs, as I spent a good number of seasons playing these as hand-me-downs from my dad when I was 8-12 years old, and recently dug them out of the attic.

Plus, they are perfect for hitting at the range, with no worries about abusing or damaging my real persimmons, but still hitting a small ~180cc clubhead.

Funny you say that, on the way home from a round on Monday where my driving was inconsistent, I thinking about picking up some TaylorMades from that era just for the range as persimmon stand ins. Good to hear they work that way for you.

I've watched some youtube videos on different options; one guy uses rubbing compound, some guys paint, and I know there are companies that make wrap decals like a car wrap. For that old matt finish, I'd be tempted to set up a sand blasting rig, although I would try it out on some thrift shop clubs first. I've seen enough old TaylorMades at thrift shops to know they come through.

• Thanks 1

There used to be a product called Macfees Metalwood Refinisher that did a great job on those old TaylorMade clubheads.  It consisted of a bottle of blue liquid that resembled bowling ball cleaner and three different buffing pads.  You might be able to track some of it down on ebay or elsewhere. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 9/18/2020 at 7:19 PM, Shallowface said:

There used to be a product called Macfees Metalwood Refinisher that did a great job on those old TaylorMade clubheads.  It consisted of a bottle of blue liquid that resembled bowling ball cleaner and three different buffing pads.  You might be able to track some of it down on ebay or elsewhere. 

MacFee’s Metalwood Refinishing System

Right there on the front cover, perfect match lol. Thanks for the assist.

• Like 1